Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thesaddestpirate
Mar 19, 2005
Hey when you buy that condo you can put in a countertop with firefly lights too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

I was using all 2014 dollars. We're getting way off track. Do you think my $13,000 in combined annual 401k contributions is insufficient? If you really do I'm interested in knowing why. If not this is just a sophistry pissing match.

Yes; with your income level you should be maxing it out. There's no excuse to shortchange future-slomo and there's definitely no excuse to pass up free money from your matching (I don't know the details of your match but I doubt it is capped given that you work in ~finance~)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
C'mon guys, the condo is barely $200k. Slomo can save that much in what, 5 years?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Quite frankly, I'm not sure why he has a 401k for a future SloMo he cares nothing about.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
SloMo, dude... That condo looks like a dump. Look at the floors and countertops and the freaking FREEWAY VIEW! Dude. Dude. Impulse control, please.

Save up more money. Get debt free and have a decent 5 figure emergency fund by Xmas. Buy an actually nice condo next summer with a 10-20% down payment. Just bill the hours, keep living like a 'baller' but DON'T TOUCH A loving PENNY OF YOUR BONUSES. And move into your friends place for 14 months. SloMo Fall-2015 will thank you so much, man...

Shadowhand00 posted:

C'mon guys, the condo is barely $200k. Slomo can save that much in what, 5 years?
Spend or save?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
That condo sucks. Is that was passes for ballin' in Seattle these days?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If I see one more person write advise when they meant advice I will have a stroke, kill slomo with my remaining good arm, then myself.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Slow Motion posted:

Do you think my $13,000 in combined annual 401k contributions is insufficient?
Yes. Especially in a high tax bracket, not maxing out your 401k is stupid as hell. That's so much free money you're pissing away in taxes. God, it hurts my head to think about it..

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Slow Motion posted:

I'll only be 28 once. Ten years from now I still wont get a second chance at it.
The flipside is that you will only be 38 once as well.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I can't wait to see the hours billed and studied this month. I know Slomo wouldn't be talking about his basically limitless future earning potential while totally slacking off at work.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The mortgage thing just makes you even more fragile. It follows the same logic as the 401k loan - in the better-than-average case scenario, it's an okay decision.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

greazeball posted:

I can't wait to see the hours billed and studied this month. I know Slomo wouldn't be talking about his basically limitless future earning potential while totally slacking off at work.

When he stops voluntarily posting about it (aka bragging about how awesome he's doing), you know it's going to be a good times at the end of the month.

My guess, "budget" is completely hosed, billed hours are OK but nothing great and hours studied isn't so great.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

That condo sucks. Is that was passes for ballin' in Seattle these days?

No, that's way on the cheap end for a condo. And yes, having actually seen it in person it's not that great.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You know who is really bad at their job? Slomo's therapist.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Therapists can't help someone who doesn't want to change, plus therapists aren't financial advisors.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
The dude who said that this thread is sad is right on the money.

SloMo, your capacity for self-delusion is breathtaking. You are pitiful.

Edit: I just realized you are the Benny the Snake of BFC, minus the adult baby fetish (that we know of).

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Slow Motion posted:

f you really wanted to debate retirement you'd note that the examples foolishly assume zero growth in the monthly contributions. Who saves the same at 25 as they do at 35? Nobody I've ever known.

There's a limit to how much you as an individual can contribute in any given year to retirement accounts, so the fact that there's nobody you know who saves the same at 25 as they do at 35 just means that you don't know many wealthy 25 year olds with high paying jobs who can afford to save the $17.5k for their 401k and $5.5k for their IRA. They definitely exist though and you can never really make up a year of missed contributions later on. I also know that I save slightly less at 31 than I did at 28 because I switched jobs and took slightly less pay for better standard of living and less stress, which many individuals do. And I don't know if you are ever planning on marrying again or how you feel about children, but there are plenty of people who can afford to save more in their 20s while single then they can in their 30s because their salaries don't change drastically and they begin putting their children first and have increased expenses. The nice thing is that because they saved in their 20s, they are still often better prepared for retirement than someone who starts later because they waited for a larger salary.

I also have a hard time believing that at 65, you'd be happy living on 40k/yr. People live for longer now, a life at $40,000 for 20 - 30 years sounds like you're not doing much. Most people still like to travel and have a life that is fulfilling in retirement. Also, retirement homes can be outrageously expensive.

You're not doing the worst job saving for retirement thanks to a generous employer contribution but It would be really easy to save more than you are right now. We make about the same salary-wise, not counting your bonus, and I manage to save $20,000/yr myself (not counting my employer contributions) in a 401k and IRA, while living in a nice apartment, traveling and spending way too much on restaurants and alcohol. It's very doable if you just set your contribution level at somewhere between 10% and 20% of your salary (so savings increases with each raise) and you never tangibly see the money in your hand ever. And then you just take $5.5k immediately from one of your bonuses and throw it in an IRA. This will all be so doable for you once you get rid of that pesky credit card debt.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

HooKars posted:

I also have a hard time believing that at 65, you'd be happy living on 40k/yr. People live for longer now, a life at $40,000 for 20 - 30 years sounds like you're not doing much. Most people still like to travel and have a life that is fulfilling in retirement. Also, retirement homes can be outrageously expensive.

Not only that, but you'll want to maintain your standard of living. You've said it yourself MANY times SloMo, you don't want to sacrifice your lifestyle for anything, so why would you want to downsize your lifestyle at 65 when you retire? You're sure as poo poo not living in your $1.5m condo on $40k/year.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

HooKars posted:

There's a limit to how much you as an individual can contribute in any given year to retirement accounts, so the fact that there's nobody you know who saves the same at 25 as they do at 35 just means that you don't know many wealthy 25 year olds with high paying jobs who can afford to save the $17.5k for their 401k and $5.5k for their IRA.

Also, I think I've said this before, but after around ~110k (pretax but post 401k deductions and possibly post some other stuff I don't know) the amount you can put into an IRA starts to decrease and cuts off entirely around ~125k or so.

So if you don't contribute now and your income keeps going up, you'll never be able to contribute.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Quantum Finger posted:

Edit: I just realized you are the Benny the Snake of BFC, minus the adult baby fetish (that we know of).

:stonk: I definitely dropped out of that thread before that revelation.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Horking Delight posted:

Also, I think I've said this before, but after around ~110k (pretax but post 401k deductions and possibly post some other stuff I don't know) the amount you can put into an IRA starts to decrease and cuts off entirely around ~125k or so.

So if you don't contribute now and your income keeps going up, you'll never be able to contribute.

You can contribute to a regular IRA regardless of income, but your Roth caps out. Even then you can take the rollover trick.
Even then, though, every time April 15 slips by, one more chance at contributing vanishes forever.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
Buy the condo. You deserve it. Or at least the consequences of it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I don't really get the people saying the condo is too small. My 1 bdr apartment is a little smaller than that and it is perfectly acceptable for a single person.

On the other hand, that mural and black toilet are horrific.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It might be acceptable for one person, but by buying it with so little money down he's gambling that he might get stuck in it for a long time even if his life changes.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
He's 28 and single. I would think it more likely than not that he wants kids within the next 5 years. Or ends up with one regardless.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don't really get the people saying the condo is too small. My 1 bdr apartment is a little smaller than that and it is perfectly acceptable for a single person.

On the other hand, that mural and black toilet are horrific.

Slomo's a baller. How can you have ballin' parties in only 600 square feet?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hob_Gadling posted:

He's 28 and single. I would think it more likely than not that he wants kids within the next 5 years. Or ends up with one regardless.

At the very least a significant other who wants their own space(and a larger kitchen). There's only a little alcove for a small computer desk in that condo, which would actually probably be better suited for a foyer table for keys/wallet/what have you. If you have two people with computers who want to use them, it's going to get real crowded in that living room real fast.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 27, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Slow Motion posted:

Really what I want is a 1.5m condo

This, right here, perfectly represents The Trouble With Slomo. It's an incredibly telling indicator of your unhealthy relationship with money.

Not "Hey guys there's a particular apartment I recently saw that would be of great value to me as it perfectly suits my lifestyle and is a good investment and it happens to cost $1.5m", but rather "I simply wish to own a thing with $x value".

You don't know what you want, but you know that it's gotta be expensive. Think about why.

Slow Motion posted:

I appreciate this. I really don't think my decisions are terrible. Some are more risky than most people would be comfortable with. But I have no family to support and a highly sought after skill set. I'll be fine even in the worst nightmare scenario.

:allears:

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Slow Motion posted:

I have and it does.

Then I ran the comparison with the assumption that as soon as I have $25,000 in savings I will immediately blow $5,000 on 3 weeks in Nicaragua. And then Laos. And then the Czech Republic.

Have you ever actually been to Laos? Do you even know what's there to blow $5k on? Unless you want to bring back a half ton of shttty trinkets and knockoff jewelry from a Vientiane night market. I'm nitpicking on this to illustrate how completely inept you are when it comes to appearing as if you're some well traveled, hard partying, luxury life living finance wizard.

You're basically like a middle America bumpkin who won the lottery that is trying to get accepted by the elite yacht club set by wearing a top hat/monocle/tuxedo all th time, incorrectly using long, complicated words in your speech to sound "fancy", and buying a lifted Ford F-150 with rims and horns mounted on the hood in some pathetic attempt to fit in with your absurd idea of how rich people live and act.

If you're going to go into debt to erase your true identity as an insecure poor kid, at least figure out how to make the disguise work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rekinom posted:

You're basically like a middle America bumpkin who won the lottery that is trying to get accepted by the elite yacht club set

Whoever made the Gatsby reference in the thread earlier nailed it.

But at least Gatsby was genuinely rich and had enough space to throw crazy parties.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Slow Motion posted:

The only other super relevant item to this discussion is my future earnings: if I devote some hours to studying and pass some exams I can dramatically increase my earning potential. I did this last year thinking I could take on some debt and then just pay it off with the higher pay grade. I went from a $58/hr bonus accrual to my present $75/hr. I could probably get this up to $90 by the end of the year if I put my nose in a book. Passing exams would also have little bonuses attached to each ($1,500 to $4,000). So my decision tree isn’t just Work/Play. The work part is divided into ‘Earn Money Now’ and ‘Grow Future Earning Potential’.

Slow Motion posted:

Right now my plan is to hit the problem from both sides. First I'll cut the egregious discretionary spending. Then I'll commit to some larger hours targets for myself at work. I'll run the numbers to figure out what I need to do to pay off the rest of the credit cards with my December bonus. That way I won't have to dick around with a 401k loan either.

Slow Motion posted:

So I'll cut back a couple thousand on discretionary stuff this month and work an extra 60 hours.

Slow Motion posted:

If I were to bill 190 hours in month my post tax cash bonus would be another $4,300.

Slow Motion posted:

Goal - Erase all credit card debt by the end of the year.

Steps
1. Live on less than my salary. I did this last month!
2. Work lots of hours to make a good bonus and put all that towards debt, same as in March, May, and June.

Slow Motion posted:

If I consistently billed 50 hours a week I could be pulling in 10k cash take home after taxes in salary + bonus.

Slow Motion posted:

My hours works in the last three months are at an all time low. But I expect them to return to similar levels to the past three years. And I'm already spending under my salary - meaning all bonus goes directly towards debt and later to savings. As things return to 'normal' my outlook is better and better.

And on and on and on...
How does it feel to lie to yourself every single day of your life?

Do you realize the amount hours you're able to bill seems to be directly tied to the amount of chemicals you dump into your body? I know you have no foresight whatsoever, but how long do you think that's sustainable?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Night Gaunt posted:

And on and on and on...

Do you realize the amount hours you're able to bill seems to be directly tied to the amount of chemicals you dump into your body? I know you have no foresight whatsoever, but how long do you think that's sustainable?

Has he mentioned being diagnosed with bipolar disorder at all?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

OneWhoKnows posted:

Has he mentioned being diagnosed with bipolar disorder at all?

No mental illness here.

Night Gaunt posted:

And on and on and on...

Of course you forgot the past 3 months where billings are at an all time high.

Hob_Gadling posted:

And no. I do not want kids or a significant other.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

An all-time high for Slowmo isn't great, but I guess there's nowhere to go but up!

edit: actually there are many other places to go

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Slow Motion posted:

No mental illness here.
So just a fiscal illness then? (Probably not, I suspect you have at least some degree of mania and depression, possibly not enough to qualify as a 'disorder' but at least tendencies, and they fuel your spending.)

Slow Motion posted:

Of course you forgot the past 3 months where billings are at an all time high.
Good work, but don't forget you did this last year (looked good, then had a few months of slump).

Slow Motion posted:

This is 28 year old SloMo talking. You will probably change your mind, most people do. (As a personal example, I remember dating a girl who adamantly didn't want kids - like, refused to even be near them. Years later, I see her pop up on Facebook with a pair of children.)

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I for one think buying a condo to keep yourself from spending more money is a pretty terrible idea. You should buy at least 3: a pad in a nice hood for day to day life and commuting, a country house when you want to get away, and a nice little pied a terre downtown to party in and bring the ladies home to.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Slow Motion posted:

This'd be more convincing if you hadn't already divorced once.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Hob_Gadling posted:

This'd be more convincing if you hadn't already divorced once.

Really? I think it's the other way around. I gave it a shot and now I know exactly what I'd be missing.

Anyhow that condo was cool but not worth jumping the gun over. I'm leaning towards living rent free for a few months till July bonus and assessing my down-payment options at that time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slow Motion posted:

Really? I think it's the other way around. I gave it a shot and now I know exactly what I'd be missing.

This was my thought. Although you could always find someone else.

Just keep working your rear end off slow mo and everything will come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Slow Motion posted:

Anyhow that condo was cool but not worth jumping the gun over. I'm leaning towards living rent free for a few months till July bonus and assessing my down-payment options at that time.

So close, yet so far.

• Locked thread