Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Zeerust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come (ATTTYC)
Tomorrow's Eternity & People Like Us (TEPLU)
The World You Never Knew (WYNK or alternatively, TWYNK)
Passion Under a Lurid Planet (PULP (okay I confess I started with the acronym that time))

Seriously, that's the best take on pulpy early science fiction I've ever seen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Immortal Foil
String Theory

"Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come" sounds pretty good.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Can't wait for our new Eclipse Phase campaign to start in a couple of weeks, the players have all uploaded their character concepts already and the DM has uploaded our primary mission giver/ group handler and they seem promising. Group consists of

an AI robot dog modeled after Metal Gear Rising's Blade Wolf in appearance - mentality doesn't match
uplifted octopus reality TV-show star
minor corporation's CEO whose primary morph is corporate mascot/superhero/wrestler
Russian hacker who is the most stable of the bunch so far
journalist whose been genetically modified to have some traits from tigers (the reference image was some Marvel hero/villain with yellow skin, stripes and a tail (not sure which))

And our handler is a bioconservative, as in a dude who thinks humans should stick to being humans in the dystopic transhuman future of Eclipse Phase - and the group includes two non-humans, and most of the humans go against the bioconservatism ideology anyway. And of course everyone follows a different ideology, only the CEO and robot dog have definitely similar ideologies so far, dunno yet what the octopus or journalist are politically.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
It Came From... THERE!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Coward posted:

Brilliance

That was utterly delightful to read.

Also, adding +1 to Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come (ATTTYC)

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I've been running a Mass Effect campaign in a homebrew system for about 4 months now, and last session was one of the best experiences I've had running the game.

The Players:
Lafell - Turian Infiltrator
Miss M - Asari Adept
Zadar - Human Engineer
Iren - Drell Vanguard
Peutio - Krogan Vanguard (Forums user Spookylizard)

(not present: Human Soldier, Salarian Engineer and Krogan Adept)

Part 1: The enemy of my enemy...

So the session starts with everyone on the Citadel after capturing a Cerberus recruiter (the plot is largely them vs Cerberus), and before they leave to go to Earth for the next bounty the Infiltrator gets a call from an Eclipse Gang member (he'd earlier gotten them in his pocket) on Omega telling him a war broke out. He ends up convincing everyone that going to Omega takes priority and they're on their way.
When they got there they were approached at their warehouse-base by the new leader of the Eclipse, an Asari who'd only been with the gang about a month or so. I had planned to have them fight the leader of the attacking gang (Blue Suns) and be done with it, but they wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Lafell decides to call a peace conference, and finds out that the Blue Suns were pushing in to Eclipse territory because "Some humans in white armor" pushed both them and the blood pack out of parts of their territory. He convinces them to call a temporary ceasefire (one month) to rebuild and push Cerberus off of Omega (For good this time.) They both say that the Blood Pack would attack them. They tried for a while to figure out how best to contact them but eventually

Me: Spookylizard, roll intelligence.
Him: Okay *rolls*
Me: Is it more than 1?
Him: Yeah, it's-
Me: You remember that when you were first hired by Malik you were working for the Blood Pack. :v:

So Peutio calls up the Blood Pack leader, promises him an enormous sum of credits for his cooperation and gets him to come to yet another peace conference. After some persuading and bargaining they get him to join the truce, and now it's Gangs Vs. Cerberus. The group leaves to go to Earth and grab their next bounty.

On the way back to the ship Lafell is grabbed by his "Indentured Servant" at his warehouse telling him that he has to go see something upstairs. He agrees, goes up and gets grabbed and held at gunpoint by an assassin that he had failed to stop earlier in the campaign. She tells him she wants out of working for Cerberus, that it's gotten too bad for her; she's being paid to kill their own operatives when they get captured so they don't talk. They talk for a bit and she agrees to help the war effort on Omega, and that she'd deliver them any people from the bounty list that turn up so they can collect the payment. She vanishes and he joins the rest of the crew back on the ship.

Part 2: Never take drugs from a stranger

The party lands in San Diego and begins walking around the city looking for anything that could possibly be related to Cerberus. They eventually wind up at a pier on the other end of the city that has a relatively nondescript building on it, but it has two trucks with mounted guns on the side of it so it's kind of suspicious. Miss M grabs the nearest hippie and starts asking him what the building is.

Hippie: I dunno man, it's like greek mythology or something. Think it's a dog.
Zadar: Like a three headed dog?
Hippie: Sure? I dunno man, they're weird. They dress in all white.
Miss M: Good enough for me.
Hippie: Cool, Imma go but here, have some of this. *slips her a tablet*

Miss M downs it, and the rest of the group starts thinking of a plan of attack. They eventually decide that Lafell will just go in and act stoned and really confused. Some absolutely wonderful roleplaying occurs and eventually Miss M approaches the building while the rest watch from the end of the pier.

Me: You get to the enterance, which appears to be a mouth.
:black101: : Does it say anything?
Me: Yeah "Oh hey M, come on in. It's cool in here!" (Lafell calling from inside.)
:black101: : I walk in to the mouth.

Lafell tries to go upstairs but is stopped by two armed guards who tell him he can't go any further. He grumbles and leaves and finds a backdoor. At this point Iren is approaching the building to try and "control" her friends. Lafell finds the door locked, but throws himself through the window anyway, apologizing and saying "Dude the walls were closing, I had to leave. You should, too." He starts meandering his way to one of the trucks and the 6 people who were all playing a game at a back table get up and try to stop him. Iren gets to him, apologizes for him and starts leading him back to the front. Miss M has long since stripped her armor off and has been standing in the building licking doors and couches. I make him do a perception check, which he flubs.

Me: You hear "Get the bears out, salt time is coming." from the person over at the desk.
:black101: : (screaming) BEARS? GUYS THEY HAVE BEARS. WE SHOULD GO. BEARS ARE VICIOUS.

Just like that the dominoes start falling. Lafell and Iren start fighting the 6 people outside, Zadar and Peutio charge up, and Miss M goes outside and starts attacking the people inside.
They mop them up, make it upstairs and find their target. After a good fight they capture her, alive, and go to take her back to the ship. Lafell searches her desk and finds a bunch of recruitment documents and an invoice to SDPD. They get downstairs and see a bunch of flashing red and blue lights at the end of the pier. They run to the trucks, Zadar and M in one and the other three in the other, and the second truck blows past the blockade while calling the ship for an "Emergency pickup".
Zadar starts his truck and M starts firing at the police, they charge the blockade, blowing a car to bits and overloading the other one. The other truck is far ahead of them at this point, and Miss M jumps off the mounted gun on to a police car. Zadar keeps driving.

Iren, who's driving, gets to the pickup point for the ship which turns out to be a cliff overlooking the ocean. She charges the guard rail and makes the jump in to the ship with the truck intact. Zadar catches up shortly after, but critfails his pilot roll to make the jump. So he got hit by another car right before the cliff. Lafell hitches his truck to the ship and he climbs up the chain, informing them of Miss M's decision to jump off and attack the cops. They fly the ship over to her, she uses biotics to vault herself in to the ship, and they fly off leaving behind an incredible amount of carnage.

They get a call from their original employer scolding them for causing so much damage since they're still technically working for him. "I may be a specter, but that doesn't give you the right to destroy part of a city."

They turn in the bounty and get scolded again from the alliance, for causing so much damage. Back on Omega Lafell finds another person on the bounty list dead at his warehouse with a note from the assassin on it. They turn him in too and find out where they're going next.

It's worth noting that all the crazy poo poo the Asari player did was totally roleplaying - I didn't tell him anything, he just acted that way because "Well, she took whatever the hippie gave her."

I love my players.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Before I start on the ending, I'd just like to make clear that this was just how I decided to tie everything up. If I do go ahead and try and build a game out of this, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't use this explanation of the setting (or any explanation at all, really). Again, sorry for the wall of text.

To go back a bit, Agent Hat's player had gone down to the cargo bay because there was OBVIOUSLY something there. And when the player tells you there's something there, then by jove there's something there. So I quickly improvised a stowaway who turned out to be a Zygonian. Under interrogation and threats of the Magnetron 3000, Agent Hat gripping the handles with menace, he explained he was Prince Zamorian, heir to the Zygonian throne. I also mentioned that he was meant to be a part of the mission, still seeding things for me to wrap up later. Agent Hat pulled out his copious manila folders and demanded, "Are you the individual mentioned in these orders?" and the player explained he was holding a sheet of paper completely made up of REDACTED black lines.

The Prince's reassurance wasn't enough, so Agent Hat unleashed the power of the psychic helmet on him, making loud "WOM WOM WOM WOM" noises. But all he got in return was some confused images of a huge palace and green-skinned guards before getting a colour image of a boy and girl laughing and chasing each other in a suburban back garden. With that, I was pretty sure I had the elements of the plot and just adjusted based on what the players gave me.

Following the thrilling escape from General Turquoise's armada, the Mark IV made a wobbly landing on Neptunia VII. Since Agent Hat's player had described the Great Sky City of Neptunia VII, there was a loving description of the cloud-filled matte painting and the beautiful spires of the model of the city, including one of the buildings at the back that hadn't been fully painted.

Prince Zamorian had been put in the brig and then transferred by a sighing pilot to a Restraint Transporter - a loading trolley with silver-painted luggage straps to hold him down. Agent Hat, Captain Robo and Speedy were met by an army Captain in contemporary military uniform and transferred to an earth jeep. Neptunia VII had apparently been captured by Earth from the Zygonians and they were fortifying it, but despite the fact that the army was equipped with ray guns they still didn't fully trust the alien technology. The gravity platforms had been torn out and replaced with Earth lifts in the wake of one soldier being dangerously incredulous.

They were led down to a very stereotypical dungeon, including torture rack, whips, brazier, that small semi-circular window with bars in it, and a beautiful woman in a modest flowing dress half-heartedly manacled to a wall. The Captain shrugged when asked and said, "She insisted on being tied up here," and left them to the interrogation.

Princess Zelluria of course whipped her head away and proclaimed, "Do what you like, Earthmen! You shall not break my spirit! I am ready for your worst!" before then spitting at them in theatrical defiance. In the background, Prince Zamorian struggled and tried to get their attention through his gag, but Agent Hat was now in his element. Congratulating her defiance but informing her that the American government needed to know the details of the military makeup of the Empire, Agent Hat once again threatened the use of the Magnetron 3000 by leaning forward with widening eyes and gripping the helmet's handles. With typical melodramatic flair, Princess Zelluria strained against the manacles, proudly refusing to show her fear, with everyone still ignoring Zamorian trying to yell through his gag.

Not getting anywhere, Agent Hat narrowed his eyes and started "WOM WOM WOM WOM WOM"ing at the Princess. I had a bit of fun swooning and rising in volume yelling "No! No! NOOO!" matching Agent Hat's player's "WOM WOM WOMMM WOMWOMWOMWOMMMWOMMMMM!" I then had the power go out of control, as per the original suggestion, and suddenly each character relived one of the early childhood memories (Captain Robo's actor remembered his first magic trick, Speedy the day his dad left, and Agent Hat playing in the backyard while his parents watched on) with two having the memory slightly altered to be better than what had actually happened (the magic trick actually worked as Sniffles the cat didn't leap out early and scratch everyone, Speedy's dad turned from the door saying he could never leave his wife and child and hugging them both), while Agent Hat's was interrupted by two children appearing to play army men with him.

When they snapped out of the memory, Captain Robo almost broke character in surprise and Speedy lamented the loss of the doctor since he wanted to know what the hell just happened. Agent Hat, however, came out of it fully entranced, sitting up with popped valves and smoke coming out of his helmet but melodramatically in romance with Princess Zelluria. There was a moment of slight confusion in her face before she joined in, both of them locking eyes and expressing surprise that they could find such love with an Earthman/Zygonian.

While Captain Robo reasserted his programming and tried to get the interrogation back on track, Speedy pulled the gag off Zamorian. Speedy had noticed that unlike General Turquoise and the other Zygnonians he'd seen up close, both Zamorian and Zelluria seemed to be more actually green-skinned, rather than having a bad make-up job that left he back of the neck and behind the ears untouched. Once the gag was off, though, Zamorian started yelling "Cathy! Cathy! Snap out of it!" but it was clear she could not really see him, and even ignored Speedy when he realised he was wearing modern clothing, rather than a stereotypical government agent's uniform or a cardboard robot costume.

Finally Zamorian broke down and explained that is real name was Billy Faulks. When they were young, he and his sister would enjoy playing make believe games where they were adventurers in space. They both loved the old serials and invented games where they were the Prince and Princess of a powerful alien Empire who fought with noble humans in a grand star-studded fantasy. It wasn't until they were older and the fantasy had gone on for a while that Zamorian began to come to the realisation that things were actually real, his only explanation some kind of incredible shared psychic power. He tried to free his sister from the delusion, but she had gone too deeply. He had travelled to Earth to get away, but when he heard that the Princess had been captured - or rather, the story Cathy was playing was that the Princess would be captured so she could be rescued - he thought this would be the best opportunity to try and break her out of it, so he stowed away on the next ship to get to her.

By now, Agent Hat and Zelluria had become so enamoured that Agent Hat knew it was his duty to free her and run where neither the Earth forces nor the Zygonian Empire could find them, and they could live out their dream of love together. Captain Robo refused to let it happen, demanding Agent Hat step away from the prisoner. Agent Hat demanded that Captain Robo stand aside, Princess Zelluria simpering in the background, with Captain Robo threatening super robot strength in order to stop the Agent. Finally Captain Robo was forced to grip the Agent by the neck in his brutal silver spray-painted washing-up glove and lift him off the floor. "Lucky... I have... the override... switch..." Agent Hat managed to get out before plugging the override switch his player had just invented into Captain Robo's side. "Now, you're going to help us!"

"ZZZT... OVERRIDE INITIATED... POWering down..." came the robotic voice as Captain Robo slumped over. "Oh... That wasn't what I was expecting..." Agent Hat said staring at a loss at the hunched-over figure. Then Captain Robo gripped his head and pulled it off, taking in a huge breath and saying with relief, "Oh, GOD, I can BREATHE again." Picking up cues from the way I was playing Zelluria, Agent Hat's player decided to react to Captain Robo by going, "Oh, my God, he's falling to pieces!" and not acknowledging the actor taking off the suit. When I asked, "So, are you still going to try to subdue Ag-" before I could finish, Captain Robo's player yelled, "KARATE CHOP!" and Agent Hat's player immediately crumpled.

From there, the two mostly sane ones got Billy out of his restraints and he tried to break Cathy out, but it didn't work, and he turned to them for help. Captain Robo came up with the idea that in order to break Cathy out of the game, it would have to be made unbearable. How? Well, by killing her love. There was a little bit of concern about the idea of just executing Agent Hat, but then the mechanics of the world intervened and they realised that they could just "kill" him. I thought it was a neat idea and ran with it.

So, with Captain Robo taking charge as the trained actor, they woke Agent Hat up outside the cell and told him to rescue the Princess. We got a really awesomely pulpy scene here, with Agent Hat breaking in to the cell dramatically, his jacket off and his shirt open, hair fluttering in a breeze that wasn't there before. Two human guards in cheap costume who weren't there before turn around and exchange ridiculous quips with Agent Hat only for one to receive a heroic uppercut and the other to be kicked out of a previously unseen window, cue Wilhelm Scream. Zelluria collapses into the magnificent Agent's arms, hands on his chest for the clinch, sharing a kiss and damatic romantic reassurances before being led out of the cell.

Soon after, however, Captain Robo steps out holding his hastily-re-named-with-a-biro Disintegrator Ray. He says that they'll never escape and zaps Agent Hat with it. Agent Hat of course falls, and then Speedy covers him with an ordinary jacket making him invisible to the Princess. "Everyone knows there's no coming back from a Disintegration Ray," Captain Robo hammers home.

The Princess suddenly stops and panic and confusion start surfacing. She turns around and looks for ways out, but slowly starts to realise something. "No coming back... from a Disintegration Ray...?" Zelluria whispers blankly, suddenly falling to her knees. "No... coming back from... a Disintegration Ray...?" The walls start shimmering and warping, suddenly switching from the halls of the Great Sky City of Neptunia VII, to the enormous Imperial throne room, to gorgeously sumptuous (for a 30s pulp serial) bedchambers. "No coming back from a Disintegration Ray...?" The surroundings switch back and forth, suddenly on a Zygonian Saucer with General Turquoise saluting, suddenly on a balcony as a crowd of poorly-realised fish people cheer below, suddenly a back garden with two children laughing and playing.

"No, no, no," she whispered as the scenery suddenly completed disappeared, and everyone realised that they were on a completely alien planet with no city, no matte painting, no rockets and presumably very shortly no gravity or air (or maybe too much). "Help me!" she called out.

Agent Hat woke up, and was acting like a completely normal person, wondering what had happened not only while he was out, but everything in his life. They all realised that they needed to get Cathy back into the game so she could send them all home. Each one stepped forward and convinced her to play the game a little longer, with Agent Hat realising that rational logic wasn't helping so he had would have to plug the Magnetron 3000 into... the CRYSTAL CEREBRALATOR. With her nodding along, Cathy closed her eyes and everything suddenly went white and there was an odd sound, much like the flapping when a projector reaches the end of its filmstrip.

And everyone was back home in a small suburban garden, and I'd somehow managed to tie the "I can't control my powers" suggestion into the whole setting.

We had brief epilogues. I started, in order to give everyone ideas, with the Faulks taking a tour group around a planetarium that they operated. The group passes a glass display case with a model Mark IV rocketship and a Zygonian Saucer, and they both have a good laugh about it with the tour group. We then cut to a couple joining the back end of a queue and the camera then pans along a massively long line before reaching the front of the cinema, where is plasted huge billboards advertising, "The Adventures of Captain Robo 2" with Captain Robo's actor's name above the title, and "From the makers of I, Robot" underneath. It cuts then to Agent Hat in fairly ordinary jeans and a shirt, putting things into a backpack and sighing happily before putting on a Foreign Legion cap, smiling, and stepping out of the door into blinding sunlight. And finally cut to a bookstore with placards announcing an instore signing of the bestseller "I Made The World - The Faulks' Biography by Speedy McNewsboy". Speedy signs the last one before looking up at the clock, gasping, and then grabbing his bag - he's late for School!

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

I hate to come back to it, but did anyone ever post a link to that Halo RPG? I'd really like to take a look at it, and my attempts at googling came up with a bunch of systems, but none similar to what was described.

I was interested in this too, so I did some independent googling. I found Halo Mythic, which I think is the system. From a quick skim, it looks like a 40K rpg with the serial numbers scratched off, playable Smart AI, and a ton of special hand-to-hand maneuvers, which sounds close to what was described in the thread.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

By the way, thanks for all the great naming suggestions so far. I actually have to admit I like the name Foilpunk, just for the ridiculousness, and similarly for Immortal Foil (Foil Forever? Forever Foil? Foil Future?). Corman Quest is great and got a laugh out of me. But I think Abyssal Squid's calls on the pulp magazine style titles is a pretty drat good way to go. Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come is just amazing, and I wish it was a title in the Pulp-O-Mizer. The Pulp-O-Mizer did give me Weird Future as a name too, but ATTTYC (Attic?) is gold.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The bard in my pathfinder campaign is the best. He spent 10 minutes today in a jewelry shop getting decked out in gold rings, necklaces, chains, a belt, a gold tooth, and everything, even the tooth, has his named engraved on it.

As he was walking out:

Bard: One more thing, I want a sheath that doubles as a cane.
DM: That'll be 20 gold.
Bard: Well, I don't know, that's pretty expensive for a sheath. :crossarms:
DM: It's gold plated-.
Bard: Alright! Just making sure!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
ATTTYC is the kind of title you could, in good conscience, just fill a cover with. Maybe throw a Flash Gordon rocket in for colour against the spring-out Indiana Jones style text.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I'm partial to Flash Gordon: The Movie: The Game but yes Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come is pretty great too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could spin Astonishing True Tales into a whole setup with different settings and subsystems:

Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come - 1950s pulp sci-fi
Astonishing True Tales of Crime - 1940s noir
Astonishing True Tales of Adventure in Strange Lands - Victorian adventure stories in Africa and Asia
Astonishing True Tales of Times Long Past - Conan the Barbarian/Harryhausen fantasy
Astonishing True Tales of Weird Science and Horrors - classic monsters

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Haha I'm glad people like the name Astonishing True Tales! I figure that with the unreality of the setting being central to the concept, it makes sense to play it up as much as possible.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo That's A Lot Of Tyranids

So after a short couple weeks of pause our Rogue Trader campaign resumed, and it did it in style. The crew was the same as the last time, Voidmistress, Genetor, Missionary and the two Orks. Speaking of last time, we beat the everloving poo poo out of Tyranids in space and this time we would go and beat the everloving poo poo out of Tyranids on the ground. Problem one: Tau didn't want us mucking around on their planet as they were certain they could defeat the Tyranids threatening it. Solution: We said gently caress that and went in by 'stealth' - as in, used a motherfucking Halo Barge to enter atmosphere and find the second largest concentration of Tyranids that were for some reason assembling in the mountains... After some general fuckery we started to approach the site with some interesting stuff in tow - my Genetor's old pal, Magos Noradi gave her some sort of harness that was supposed to be stuck on a Tyranid to cause... something, and then there was a clip of some rather potent ammunition: Hellfire rounds. Ammunition specifically designed to take out Tyranids. Mechanically? They go straight through their armour. All of it.

As we approached the site we were contacted via vox by none other than a kill team of Deathwatch marines who were under siege by a Tyranid horde, and they requested assistance. We of course responded positively and landed at the end of a canyon infested with Tyranids and basically decided to fight our way through them like the bunch of leading members of a Rogue Trader dynasty we were. At the other end of the canyon: Space Marines under siege by countless Tyranids. In the middle: a Hive Tyrant with two Tyrant Guard in tow, a Carnifex, a Zoanthrope, some Warriors and a shitload of Gaunts. This was going to be hard. The fight began with most of the team shooting at stuff, my character actually being the only one to charge forward a bit - and she promptly looked back in confusion as for once the Orks stayed put. They did this because the Weirdboy was setting up his psychic buffs of course. Thankfully I was on top of my super fast raptor-like beastie and was able to get back near the others when a horde of Gaunts tried to rush me. My Genetor had some slight... issues during the fight what with essentially hearing and understanding the communication of the Tyranids between themselves and she even got the Hive Tyrant's full attention for a short while at one point - attention which was mostly hostile of course. No mind control though, thanks to a really good roll on the first saving throw!

One of the Warriors had a really bad day as it got immediately shot by a variety of weapons and got knocked prone, set ablaze and stunned in the same turn. Of course, mechanically the fire could not do any damage to it, but it was still suffering quite a bit and after a couple of turns of thrashing in the ground the DM ruled that the Warrior was out of the battle, alive but just screaming in pain. Just before the Orks begun their horrible death train the Zoanthrope decided to blast us with a warp blast - now everyone except the Weirdboy managed to dodge while he took a shitload of damage, almost dying. He also got set on fire, but thanks to Orky physique, did not take any damage from the fire at any point during the fight. He just ran around teleporting from one point of the battlefield to the other with the rest of the Orks in tow (that is, the Ork Kommando and the Weirdboy's minders). Their first target? The Zoanthrope of course. It took some nasty damage from the Weirdboy and his minders, but not really all that much... and then the Kommando brought his Power Klaw and Burning Blade to the fight. Splat goes the Zoanthrope. Then splat goes the Carnifex. The Kommando sort of does absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage.

Meanwhile the Voidmistress was shooting at people with a Sentinel's autocannon, being usefullish but not doing anything spectacular, mostly keeping small bugs busy. But the Genetor and the Missionary had a whole another challenge... the Hive Tyrant and its guardians. Genetor provided autocannon support for a bit while the Missionary charged one of the Tyrant Guard and stunned it for most of the fight - unfortunately, then he got charged by the Hive Tyrant who just went "gonna hit you a lot now". Luckily it didn't roll that spectacularly and the Missionary managed to tank the one hit that got through his defenses quite easily. The Gaunts snapped at the Genetor's heels who was ascending a slope to come to the Missionary's aid - a Tyrant Guard slowed her down a little bit, but then it got shot in the face with an Autocannon and that was that. For a turn or so our heroes fought valiantly against the foul Xeno... then it first decided to do a Psychic Scream that took down our combat stats, and afterwards he did his whole "hit you a lot"-thing on the Missionary again, killing him and forcing him to burn his last fate point to survive. At this point I was in trouble - my combat stats had been taken down a notch and I was facing down a Hive Tyrant alone... Luckily it started to roll badly and I got in an amazing attack just as the Orks teleported in to help, managing to cleave the Tyrant in two. The Genetor was a bit smug after that. A bit less so after she realized that the Orks had murdered almost everything with just the two of them and one and a half minders. Literally one and a half minders, one of the two surviving ones got cut in half by a Carnifex.

Oh right, at some point a Trygon Prime burst through the ground and attacked our Voidmistress, but it didn't really do all that much and got murderized by the Orks in one turn. Once the Ork Murder Train gets going, there is no stopping it. It helps that the Kommando is the luckiest git ever, no big monster has ever managed to hit him more than once and his retaliation usually kills pretty much anything - this fight he punched a Trygon so loving hard that it fell prone. He also did it to the Carnifex. The fighting pretty much over, I charged at one of the last few remaining Tyranid Warriors and did the sensible thing - the radical Inquisitor friend of mine wanted me to put the harness on a Tyranid obviously, so I decided to put it on the Warrior. Of course, to do that I would first have to defeat it in a grappling match... which I did. Quite easily. Then it mollified after I forced the harness on it, and I could lead it into a cage on our Halo Barge - I also dragged the still burning and screaming Warrior to the Barge. Speaking of burning things, the Kommando extinguished the flames around the Weirdboy after he had been on fire for the whole fight. The Deathwatch kill team came to thank us for the rescue, even if they looked at our Orks and my "drag two Warriors as a human being"-thing a bit judgingly, they accepted our rights as members of a Rogue Trader dynasty being quite wide. Plus, we had just saved them after all, and they were impressed by how two of our group's members had both been in a duel with a Hive Tyrant and had survived to tell the tale. We joked around a bit during and after the fight that a Rogue Trader dynasty's leaders would be on the actual tabletop game a bunch of Special Characters with massively powerful special rules.

And that was the first half of the session: the second one was an adventure into the depths of the infamous Mortis Thule, a massive space hulk in Jericho's Reach. And both the Genetor and the Missionary were going to find the final challenges of their personal missions there - as well as the rewards. Oh, and of course madness, death and destruction. You know, standard.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Agent Hat's player just sent me the sketch of his character he whipped up during the game.

We ended up finishing the session a little bit early, I think partly because Dr Stanislavsky's player had left so there was one fewer voice adding to the fun. Looking at my watch I said, "45 minutes? I can run another game in 45 minutes," expecting the players to kindly thank me and move on. But they surprised me by saying, "Yeah, let's go."

I didn't think there was enough time to sit around and have fun making up a setting and so on, so I just grabbed the leftover suggestions and fanned them out facedown asking them each to pick one. Each person would be a representative of a particular genre working for the Genre Defence Force, dedicated to protecting genres from being encroached upon by their fellows. They all worked in Central, a hub where all the different genres mixed freely, and would be required to go out into the various genre Enclaves to handle problems as they arose.

Speedy McNewsboy's player received "Mutant Powers" and decided he was from the Comic Book enclave, a superhero who could grow and control his own hair at will, always looked fabulous, carried a bandolier of throwing combs and called himself The Rug.

Agent Hat's player drew "On the Moon!" and, possibly still affected by the Astonishing True Tales of Times Yet to Come was already sketching a guy in a bubble-helmeted spacesuit. He started drawing an insignia on his character but stopped and said, "Oh, wait, that's the Lego Space symbol, I think." Of course, I immediately asked him if he actually WAS the Lego Spaceman, and he laughed and agreed, filling in the helmet with a cylindrical smiling face.

Captain Robo's player got "Buddy Cop Movie" and became a more violent, drunk and bitter version of Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon. Basically decided to be the exact opposite of whatever the other two turned out to be. As Lego Spaceman was being played as constantly cheerful and friendly, this made a pretty good constant source of conflict.

Their hard-bitten chief told them that they'd had reports of the Horror genre encroaching on a show in the Children's Enclave called Incy Wincy. What then transpired was about forty minutes of the most stupid fun. Lego Spaceman, after assembling a car for them all to drive, decided that he had a contact in Duplo that could fill them in, and as they drove in he marvelled at his backwards cousins and the simpler life that they led. The contact turned out to be the Duplo Rabbit who I had talk to them perpendicularly and got them to to talk to Miss Muffet, the mayor, who'd worked with Spider from Incy Wincy before.

Murtaugh started swearing a lot, and got a lot of mileage out when he realised he should be censored out. He pulled a gun when The Rug noticed something in the shadows, and blew away some plastic trees. Lego Spaceman was a bit concerned. "Hey, buddy, what's with all the PG-13?" "PG-13? BEEP! Wrong gun," Murtaugh then pulled out an even bigger gun which of course had its own black censor bar over it.

Mayor Muffet welcomed them into her doll's house and they had tea (obviously empty cups). She explained that Incy Wincy had been closed off a while ago, and their last Bratz envoy had come back... disassembled. The Rug examined the body and determined that it had been done with shaving razors, suggesting an old foe. He knew someone he could talk to, an old friend who worked at Smiley's Barbershop on the corner.

While The Rug sat in the chair and Smiley, a hand puppet, somehow managed to cut his hair despite just bobbing up and down with a pair of scissors clutched between his fingerless hands, Lego Spaceman and Murtaugh ruthlessly interrogated him. Getting too close to the truth of who could possibly be behind locking off an entire show in the Children's Enclave and might be connected to barbers, Smiley panicked and said he needed something from the back. Shortly thereafter, they heard a door slam and a car start up. Murtaugh CENSORED loudly yelling, "I knew it," and pulled his Mature Audiences pistol as he watched Noddy speed Smiley away in a jalopy down the street.

We didn't have a skill system or any kind of mechanics so when Murtaugh's player announced he was firing, I just ruled he blew Noddy's head off and car careened into an ice cream shop. As wooden bobbies turned up to disperse the crowd, they cornered Smiley (who had to ask them to turn around just quickly while the hand got put back in him) and he confessed it was Sweeney Todd, The Rug's arch-nemesis, who had taken over Incy Wincy. He further explained that there was only way into Incy Wincy - by rail.

At this point Murtaugh's player decided that his family had died in some kind of railway accident, and when I revealed that Thomas was the only one running that route, he decided that Thomas was somehow responsible, which was frankly hilarious at that moment. He started saying, "No. No, no, no. Don't tell me Thomas is the only way in. Not that sunnuvabitch. Not Thomas." Eventually the others convinced him, and we glossed over the boarding of Thomas but I did get the idea that no one from Thomas' world spoke, they just had a conspicuously Liverpudlian voiceover narrate everything for them.

While Murtaugh continued weeping and drinking to stop the shaking, the other two calmly sat in the carriage, noticing only two other non-Children's Enclave people with them - a gunslinger from the Wild West Enclave and a sparkly vampire from the Teen Enclave. "Just then, Thomas went through a tunnel," announced the narrator and the carriage was plunged into darkness. Coming out, they found that a Cabbage Patch Kid had been murdered ("She's a Garbage Pail Kid now," quipped Murtaugh), and the gunslinger and vampire had disappeared. Lego Spaceman assembled a tracking system which then led them to the roof of the carriage.

As they clambered up, they noticed two figures making their way towards Thomas. They had since shed their disguises, the gunslinger obviously Sweeney Todd in his Barber's straw hat and villainous cloak, while I described the sparkly vampire as now being shirtless and his back covered in hair. I had just intended him to be the Wolfman from the old Universal films and a representative of the Horror genre, but Murtaugh's player said, "Wait, a vampire-werewolf? What, is he from the Fanfiction Enclave?" and I loved that so much that he became just that. Sweeney turned around and yelled, "Get them, Slash!" and the vampire-werewolf charged toward them on the carriage rooftops high above the Children's Enclave yelling, "Grraaaarrrr! I'm a Wizard, too!"

Murtaugh was useless to them at this point, crying out at Thomas, "Why? Why?" so The Rug gave Slash enough pause with a barrage of styling throwing-combs before Lego Spaceman clipped in his coloured tubes to his black space gun and blew him off the train.

Finally, after Sweeney Todd inevitably cut the connection between the engine and the carraiages and they leapt across (or swung across via eyebrows), they confronted the demon barber. I had him do the "Let me show you who I REALLY am," part, which The Rug's player interrupted before I could say anything "No, not my mother!" And so Sweeney Todd turned out to be The Rug's mother, which I quickly spun felt terrible that she wasn't always there as a mother to him and so decided to take over the whole of the Children's Enclave and turn it into the happy idyllic childhood place that she could never give him.

"You've killed a LOT of people," Murtaugh reminded her and she replied, "Yes, but I did it all for love! Love, right! That's the most important and wonderful thing in the world. That beats out murder any day, right? Right? ...Right?" Everyone stared at her before finally Lego Spaceman blurted out angrily, "This isn't rock-paper-scissors, lady!" And we decided to end on that line.

It was drat fun, and finished in the right amount of time.

I promise the next anecdote I post will back to being about bad experiences.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just saw this on imgur, I vaguely remember seeing it before, but who knows, it may be new!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

The Inquisition's Message, the Genetor's Choice and the Truth About Saint Ignatius

Continuing on from where we left, we'd just returned to our ship after saving the Kill-Team (who were now occupying some small part of our ship) with both the Missionary and the Genetor handling their personal missions at the time - the Genetor was excitedly examining the two living Tyranid Warriors along with the other Magos Biologis, almost feeling something from the mostly uninjured Warrior that had the harness on. The formerly burning Warrior was now no longer on fire and was just kept in place with some super heavy chains. Meanwhile, the Missionary was being all buddy buddy with the Space Marines, especially the Dark Angel member of their team. He talked a lot about legends and such, and they eventually mentioned to him that they had a mission on the space hulk Mortis Thule, and that they'd appreciate if we'd get them there. The Dark Angel also told the Missionary tales about saint Ignatius (I think? Can't remember the exact name) and how his last known location was on board Mortis Thule. He obviously started to want to go visit Mortis Thule along with the Space Marines, who also had a primary mission to visit there and find some information regarding the Dark Pattern - one of the big mysteries of Jericho's Reach.
We didn't get to do our respective 'hobbies' for too long, as we got a message from the Inquisition - Castellan told us that we should get back to Koronus Expanse since there was a Malleus investigation committee waiting for us there. She sounded a bit smug about that. However, the Missionary wanted to aid the Kill Team and especially the Dark Angel who seemed to have his own agenda separate from the rest of the marines. After a prophetic dream thanks to the Black Library shenanigans my Genetor had been a part of several sessions ago, she realized there was something on board Mortis Thule related to her goals and she supported the move as well. A lone crewmember protested that weren't we supposed to go meet the Inquisition with all haste, but every PC slapped the offender. The poor dude immediately died because three of the people slapping him had Unnatural strength. Some other crew member immediately looted the dead guy's hat and saluted us, laughing a bit at the dead guy's incomptence. Of course every crew member should know by now that we are jerks, questioning our decisions is not very wise.

But anyway, we set our course to the coordinates of Mortis Thule the Kill Team provided us and en route we argued a bit with the Space Marines about who gets to come with them - some of them really didn't want us on board, both because Mortis Thule was full of horrifying dangers and because they thought we would slow them down. Especially the Space Wolf was a bit annoyed at our suggestion. After a bit of negotiations three members of our crew were chosen to accompany them - the Missionary, the Genetor and the Kommando. Two had personal missions there, and the Kommando is always useful as a sort of blunt instrument when it comes to any problem. Some of the Space Marines harrumphed a bit about the inclusion of the Xeno, but they still did remember the Murder Train that Kommando is when he gets going. The Voidmistress did pilot the ship that took us to the Hulk, but she stayed behind as promised... and the Weirdboy was a bit miffed that he wasn't let in on the mission and he'd told our Ork Speed Freek NPC to "Follow dat ship!" and pointed at the Voidmistress's ship. Of course, the Speed Freek never actually landed on the hulk, especially since the Voidmistress essentially challenged him to a race, leaving the two PCs off to the side doing their own off-screen shenanigans while the focus was on what happened aboard Thule. The group talked a bit before moving on, with the Dark Angel revealing to the Missionary that there was a 'traitor' on board the ship he wanted to take down. He also hinted that Saint Ignatius had fought alongside the Fallen Angel before his disappearance and the Angel's Fall...

Well the first thing that happened was that after a series of really bad rolls by everyone involved the Genetor got lost. She was somewhat freaked out, but managed to get into vox contact with the Missionary, who decided after some deliberation to go and come save me along with the Kommando. The Dark Angel was a bit disappointed by the Missionary's decision, but most of the Space Marines understood loyalty to ones comrades being extremely important - even if the Space Wolf was being grumpy again. I also noticed that something was calling me a bit further ahead the tunnel I was in, and when the rescuers arrived I told them there was something at the end of the tunnel I needed to see. They really didn't question it and followed me as I showed the way. As we progressed through the hulk we noticed the appearance of air, and that we were being watched... glimmering alien eyes followed us from all sorts of dark nooks and corners. I concluded that they were some sort of Tyranids, but curiously non-hostile for now. The Missionary was maybe a tad bit wary, but the Kommando just followed with the same enthusiasism he showed for everything. Eventually we were outside a room in which we could see there was something big breathing in there, and there were all sort of organic growths around. I naturally went inside the room, feeling some sort of presence, and the Missionary and the Ork followed, staying a bit further back.
On the other side of the room there was something essentially growing out of the wall, a mass of Tyranid flesh - with a huge open maw and eyes that seemed to follow me as I walked in front of it, stopped, and begun to look up to its eyes. Neither the Tyranid monster or the Genetor were sure what to make of the other - but the monster thought that it would be better if we weren't interrupted and a pair of tentacles snatched up both the Missionary and the Kommando who were stuck hacking at the limbs from somewhere from the top of the room. The Missionary protested vocally, but the Genetor told him to shut up and wait a bit. Eventually the monster 'spoke' to the Genetor in her mind, asking her what she was, which was answered with the exact same question back. Fairly soon it came apparent that the creature was some sort of remnant of an old Hive Fleet separated both physically as well as psychically from the main Hive Mind and it wanted the 'little synapse', as it called the Genetor, to help it be connected back to the whole. As a reward it promised all sort of things, classic power and so on - even helpfully stated it would be willing to help me to connect to the Hive Mind properly as well. I declined the last offer, but power is awfully tempting... I was unsure of how to proceed, since I was aware that one way or the other this was essentially the end of the Genetor's quest to aid the Inquisitor in finding a way to defeat/use the Tyranids. Eventually the beast offered a the Genetor a 'taste', with no strings attached. For a few seconds the Genetor considered just shooting the thing with her Autocannon, but ultimately she agreed for the taste - and immediately a pair of tentacles snatched her up and put her in an organic pod, at which point, as the GM stated "the pain started". The GM had given me three options, the good guy option which was just to shoot it, the "radical Inquisitor loves this"-option of accepting the taste of losing some, but not quite all of my remaining humanity and the 'beast' option, which would have pretty obviously been the "super bad guy"-option. At the same time the Missionary and the Ork finally managed to free themselves from the tentacles, just to see the monster snatch up their friend who had been in some sort of a trance in the middle of the room for a few minutes. They did the only thing that made sense for them at the moment and started attacking the growth on the walls, and with flame and Power Klaw they made the growths retreat, leaving behind an approximately human sized pod. The Kommando poked it a bit, and I burst out pretty soon, a bit slimy maybe, but mostly okay - and my entire body was tingling.
Missionary: "Are you okay?"
Genetor: "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow."
Mechanically nothing happened immediately, but the GM stated that I would be able to choose one type of Tyranid creature and we'd put some of its traits into me - a pretty huge buff with a cost of insanity and loss of humanity, but a worthy end to the side quest.

With the Tyranid-shenanigans over, it was time to catch up to the Space Marines, which we did with reasonable haste, finding them in the middle of a huge battle against a horde of mutants in a section of the hulk filled with Chaos symbols. The Dark Angel, notably, was absent. We fought our way through the armies of the damned to the Space Marines, getting grudging thanks from the marines with a statement that this was the second time we had saved them so far. The Missionary questioned the rest of the marines about the Dark Angels absence, and the Space Wolf replied that "the bastard had fled to pursue his own goals and left the rest of us to die". After some arguing the Missionary convinced the Marines to split the party a bit, with most marines and the Genetor going forwards towards the main objective while the Missionary, the Ork and the Space Wolf would go after the Dark Angel. After a short exploration challenge by Team Genetor which resulted in them finding an ancient Eldar ship's remains and a room in which plenty of material about the Dark Pattern was available, the focus switched onto Team Missionary. The trio soon came upon a scene of battle where the Dark Angel was finishing a skirmish with a batch of mutants. The Missionary used a jump pack to reach the Dark Angel who was up on a ledge, leaving the Ork and the Space Wolf behind. The Dark Angel and the Missionary talked for a bit, and it was revealed that Saint Ignatius had fallen to Chaos after his disappearance along with the Fallen Angel and the Missionary ended up joining the Dark Angel as they approached the site where the Fallen Angel was waiting. The Ork and the Space Wolf didn't like being left behind and after some deliberation both agreed to sneak after the duo. They were still a 'one scene away' from the Missionary and the DA, meaning the Missionary was about to have a similar moment to the Genetor's.

Eventually they reached a chamber inside of which there was a mound of corpses which formed a throne - atop which sat a figure in black, spiky power armour. The Fallen. The traitor gloated and insulted the DA, being amused by the presence of the Missionary, mocking the DA for needing an ally. Nevertheless, the Fallen had foreseen this possibility and he had an ally of his own... from the shadows appeared an ancient man, with dry skin and sunken eyes dressed up in ancient power armour desecrated with the marks of Chaos and armed with a Power Glaive. The Missionary recognized the armour, and from it, the man - this was none other than the Saint Ignatius, corrupted by the forces of Chaos. To say that the Missionary was angry was to put it mildly - despite his occasional flings with the Greater Good, he was ultimately a man of the Emperor. There was no choice presented for the Missionary, this quest line could only end in the death of either him, the traitor, or both. As the Dark and the Fallen Angel begun their duel, so too did the Missionary and the Fallen Saint. It was just as much a battle of words as it was a contest of arms, each blow by the Missionary was accompanied by curses and accusations leveled at the corrupted Saint, each counter strike by Ignatius was followed by rebuttals and mockery. The Missionary kept rolling really badly, his arguments failing and his faith faltering. He had at one point a chance to finish off Ignatius, but he wanted to try to save the Saint's soul from the forces of Chaos and thus kept fighting. He was at the end of his rope, nearing death, failure and shame when finally, he got through thanks to a combination of excellent IC roleplaying of a pissed off Missionary and an amazing roll on his final roll. He struck the Saint's chest in, and saw how during the last few moments of his life, Ignatius was free from the touch of Chaos. The Chaos marks fell off the Artificier armour and the Power Glaive, with a giant glowing golden symbol of the Imperial Aquila appearing on the mysteriously undamaged chest of the armour. The Missionary had won.
The Dark Angel did not quite have that luck, while he took his enemy down, neither was able to finish off the other, and the Missionary had to finish the job on the Fallen who even in his death mocked the Dark Angel for his failure. The dying DA told the Missionary that he was going to let him have his holy Storm Shield for safekeeping. The marine died just as the Ork and the Space Wolf arrived - or to be precise, stopped being spectators. The Missionary's side mission came to end as well, and he reaped quite a lot of rewards for that, a brand new shining Fate point and a lot of ridiculously good gear (the player calculated that he was going to have about 17 armour points on his torso if he kept all of the stuff - for context, normal power armour is eight point of armour.) Like the Genetor's impending upgrades, they too would be looked at more specifically at the start of next session because it was quite late already.

The session ended soon afterwards, even if we did conclude the primary mission of the Kill Team by documenting all the material about the Dark Pattern and then leaving for our ship, with the Kill Team attached to our ship for the duration of the Waaagh most likely now that we had helped them gather information on the Dark Pattern. Can't wait for the next session when the Waaaagh actually starts - oh, and of course there is the one tiny little thing about Ordo Malleus wanting to investigate us for our part in the destruction of one of their super secret bases... poo poo is about to hit the fan, the GM has finally given the major buffs to the Genetor and the Missionary he has been intending to give them to make them on par with the Ork-duo in combat and the finale is fast approaching with maybe three sessions to go.

edit: whoops, mentioned Koronus Expanse when I meant Jericho's Reach when it came to the Dark Pattern

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 21, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dareon posted:

Just saw this on imgur, I vaguely remember seeing it before, but who knows, it may be new!

The problem is that this immediately puts clean customers on guard.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Dareon posted:

That looks like my local Pegasus games and the sign's been there at least a few years. In my experience, they enforce it pretty well.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

dragon_pamcake posted:

That looks like my local Pegasus games and the sign's been there at least a few years. In my experience, they enforce it pretty well.

I think the one at Pegasus has something at the bottom about smokers, doesn't it? I haven't paid attention to it in a while.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Please oh please let me know if you do decide to make ATTTYC a full thing.
I will kickstart the poo poo out of that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think one of my favorite gaming experiences (that I repeat whenever I can) was playing at a little event at GenCon called "The Tower of Gygax". It's basically just a super fast and loose round of AD&D through an rear end in a top hat dungeon of little one-room setpieces run (and probably built) by a bunch of random DMs. There's no coherent structure to it at all. You just try to survive a room, and now you're in an entirely different room chosen from the book o' rooms. It's even better because there's a small line of seats near the table generally where spectators sit and watch. When someone dies, you rotate out and someone waiting jumps in. It's a blast (especially if you get a good DM) because there's a lot of audience participation and laughing when someone tries some desperate ploy to save themselves from a horrible fate.

For a specific scenario, there was some random magic trap where someone opened a bottle, and the DM asked a nearby person "Hey, what spell would you really not like cast on you?" "Uh... cloudkill?" to which the DM could only remark "Wow. Yeah, I guess he really doesn't like you. Poison gas pours out, roll some saves."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Greatest Perils of the Warp ever happened during one of my Only War sessions awhile back. The party's battle psyker pushed his powers enormously (on purpose, he loving loves causing Perils) and accidentally caused his mind to swap places with the party's Ogryn. And also a rain of blood. The psyker, now in the body of the Ogryn, proceeded to dodge through a hail of gunfire with impossible grace while the Ogryn took the Psyker's body for a test-drive by exploding an enemy's brain with lightning, before they switched back and decided they want that to happen like all the loving time.

I love Perils.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That pulp sci-fi setting is amazing. The title that popped into my mind was Stories of Yesterday's Tomorrow, Today. Not that anything comes close to ATTTYC.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
SpiritofLenin, I missed your increasingly heretical exploits and look forward to the approaching finale.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I can't believe I finished reading this thread! Allow me to contribute my humble offering.

People were badmouthing L5R earlier; I guess it's a matter of who you're playing with, because one of my best fun roleplaying was in L5R. Granted, none of us played or cared about the CCG, and the metaplot was more of a thematic backdrop in which we could ham it up in broken Japanese, so a lot of the catpissy elements never arose.

It's been a while, so only two notable experiences come up:

Summoning Sickness

When we had our first battle, I was playing a shugenja (magicperson) of one clan or another. I was being chased by a bushi (samurai), and I had run out of attack/fire spells. I look at what I have left, and I note that "Summon" is really, really general, although on its own, it isn't supposed to be dangerous. But in L5R, you can adapt spells, at the penalty of a higher target number to cast them.

So the following conversation takes place.

Me: :wizard: Hey, what if I want to summon the water out of his eyes to blind him?
GM: :what: Okay, yeah, sure, but the target number is going to go up by 10.
Me: :rolldice: Yep, I beat it!
GM: :stonk:

So the poor bushi is utterly disabled and I decide I have found my favorite magical system.

THERE ARE NO NINJAS

This was more of a long-term buildup than a specific event. The whole campaign was a series of vignettes with most of the same characters, and I just joined in when it was one of the last ones. We had an ally we all suspected was a Scorpion ninja. Whenever we bring this up, the GM exclaims with confidence: "THERE ARE NO NINJAS!"

Well, the last vignette is a final stand on a fortress being attacked by Shadowlands creatures, and wouldn't you know it, everywhere we go, it's coming up ninjas. Our erstwhile ally has betrayed us, the fortress fell, my character died, I think.

But at least the Badger bushi and his Kakita lover were able to ride a goat towards the sunset.

PS: We were told from the start that this was about the tragic fall of the realm, so we weren't really expecting to win or anything. I guess we were kind of playing L5R as British horror-comedy. "We're utterly hosed - Hajimemashou!"

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I do not regret letting time travel into my Dungeon World game, not one bit. My party had a pretty sensible plan to travel into the past and gather information from an NPC who skipped town last night. Then they got ambitious, and realised that they could prevent the Clock Mage's past self from making the Faustian pact he made with his future self. (In a previous session, the future mage had saved the past mage's life in exchange for a promise to kill another party member who would go on to challenge the future mage's mastery of time and space.) Their plan was to disguise the present Clock Mage as the future Clock Mage and make the pact go as remembered, but have it happen between the past mage and present mage, rather than past mage and future mage.

Unfortunately, the future mage still showed up. The present mage threw a punch at the future mage, and the party's Brute (who'd spent the afternoon getting drunk, and just wanted to kill something) joined in, getting mixed up between which was which and killing the present Clock Mage messily. I told the mage's player that his new character was the past Clock Mage they'd shown up to prevent from agreeing to the bargain, but who they could still rescue.

And then the Fae got bored and tried to kill and eat her past self.

Time travel is awesome.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I didn't 'get bored'! It was part of the 'plan' all along!

Earlier in the day (that is, the present, not the past), an NPC had commented that she'd heard about how we were horrible cannibals. While true for some of the party (the well-meaning Fae may have served roast Tim at one point), strictly speaking it wasn't true of her. That led to a long line of "Well, what if I serve Elf? Orc? Gnoll?", which ended in her contemplating how she would taste ("Probably crispy. Quite light and herby."). She asked the time mage to make a copy of her (he'd accidentally created an Evil Twin of the party brute ages ago), but he said no.

So, when she found herself back in the past, and realised that there were two of her now, there was only one way it was going to go. :chef: She's not a big thinker, and generally operates on "Can I kill it? Can I eat it?" logic, so the idea of causality didn't really occur.

Sadly, her past self had the same idea on seeing a copy of herself, then they both got confused and went for Plan B (punch it rilly hard).

Massive kudos to Whybird for this session, I know GMing is 90% 'pretend you meant that to happen', but to keep a handle, let alone a decently-flowing game, on that level of time-shenanigans was pretty masterful.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Farewell to Mambo and the Gym of Destiny

This week saw potentially second to last session of our Rogue Trader campaign (depending on how much time we spend on fuckery next week), and the finale is fast approaching. The crew has one minor change to it this week, but at the start it was the Orks, the Tyranid-Hybrid Genetor and the Voidmistress, although the player would switch to another character as soon as the situation in game would make it possible - the Missionary was late, since he was busy organizing some sort of event and would come in at the start of the Waaaarrrgh-phase of the session.

So at the end of the last session we were en route to our meeting with an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor investigating our part in some rather questionable activities, but while in the warp we encountered some surprising problems - our Navigator informed us that something was dragging us towards the Hades Anomaly, with no course correction possible. After some in character discussion we concluded that this was probably our old nemesis Jack Mambo, the Slaaneshi sorcerer, since he had something similar prior to our first meeting. We decided that we would go and see what he wants, punch him in the face once again, and return to our old course. We didn't get to meet Mambo immediately though - first, our Kommando became surprisingly... calm. His innate bloodlust disappeared completely, which left him rather distraught, and he went around killing our crew members by just punching them with his fists - not out of malice, but because he wanted to get his feelings back. But nothing worked! He was just... dead emotionally. The Genetor and the Weirdboy came in to check what the gently caress was going on, and they were weirded out as well by this very un-orky behaviour. The Weirdboy decided to cheer him up by using an Ork psychic power that is supposed to give a morale boost - the thing is, he got a bad roll and Weird Fings happened, the Ork versions of Psychic Phenomena. What happened was essentially that an ethereal, beastly, Orky voice started bellowing loudly, and soon both Orks joined in on the shouting, and the Kommando got his bloodlust back! He was filled with happiness at being his old violent self and didn't stop shouting for several minutes after the otherworldly voice of Gork or Mork had died down. Genetor got deafened for about a minute.

As the Kommando got his mojo back, sirens started blaring across the ship as some ship component had been lit on fire, and off we went to investigate, the first person present being our Voidmistress who had not met Mambo before. What he found in the burning store room was pretty weird - it was on flame, yes, and there were people there... except that instead of screaming in pain they were dancing to a catchy disco beat - while on flames. The cause was easy to find - in the middle there was an actual discoball and floor amidst the flames, and on it one figure was dancing away in happiness. Jack Mambo had returned once again to plague us. After a while the rest of the crew came there, and Jack Mambo warned us that the Inquisitor waiting us was a hard rear end and was going to cause us trouble if we went to meet him. He, however, had another option in mind... he could either take us directly to Koronus or to some 'interesting' place. Both the Genetor and the Voidmistress told him to gently caress off, but the Orks were intrigued by the prospect of adventure, and for a while, we had a bit of a stale mate. Neither side was willing to budge, with Mambo doing everything in his power to try and convince the Orks his option was great. Still, after some arguments the Genetor figured out an argument to convince the Orks that the way to the Inquisitor was the correct one. Mambo didn't really like this, especially since we punched his face in once again (even if he was an ethereal projection or something once again), and like a spoiled child, he caused our ship to careen wildly deep, deep into the warp...

We were in full alert mode, especially since our Gellar Fields started to buckle from the pressure. The NPC Navigator's eyes (all three) were bleeding, blinding him, and the Weirdboy had to help him navigate while I yelled at the crew tending to our Warp Engine to force it to do an emergency jump out of Warp. Thanks to the collective efforts of everyone except the Voidmistress who had no relevant skills, we got through into a rather strange place... It was as if we were in some gigantic room or something, there were walls and such, a pinkish light was glowing from somewhere, and in the distance our scanners noticed some titanic figures. We had no idea what was going on at first, and our Voidmistress managed to zoom in on one of the gigantic red figures - and realized that it was an absolutely humongous Bloodthirster. Our ship was like a child's toy in comparison to it... and after everyone else came to the bridge, the Orks and the Genetor recognized it. "Hey it's that demon we punched out earlier."
It noticed us soon after that and picked us up like a toy, peering very, very carefully inside. It seemed annoyed at us, not only had we stuck it inside a sword, now we were interrupting his gym session! We were inside a Bloodthirster gym, inside Warp, while the Bloodthirster in the gym was still inside the sword. Weirdboy was a bit weirded out, but the Genetor told him to stop trying to make sense of the warp. That way madness lies. We also still had some rather more pressing issues, such as the gigantic loving Bloodthirster that was pissed at us holding us in its hand. Oh right, the Bloodthirster had introduced himself - apparantely he was called Grwwlthgbhttl or something along those lines. Nobody tried to repeat the name. We told it we were here because of the machinations of a Slaaneshi sorcerer, and while it didn't like our mentioning of Slaanesh (or some synonum, can't remember what we called Slaanesh but it was not by the actual name), he gave us an ultimatum: take part in a test of strength, succeed, and we get to leave, fail, and stay there forever cleaning the gym equipment from sweat until the end of time. We accepted the challenge, he opened a portal from our ship to the gym, and in we went...

The DM told us the basic rules - each round we could choose one piece of equipment, and take a strength test, and we needed a certain amount of successes to win the challenge. Oh, and also each round lasted a day, with everyone able to roll one strenght roll or aid someone else in their roll. The first thing we had to lift? The Bloodthirster. After some deliberation, the Genetor with her highest strenght pool was chosen as the right person to do the lifting. The Voidmistress as the only one without unnatural strength decided that she wanted no part in this and returned to our ship. That left the Orks and the Genetor to lift the Daemon, and they succeeded, and on we went onto round two. Can't remember what gym device we chose next, but the stakes were higher, with the weights being Armageddon the planet and some other Ork planet. This time the Orks threw, since they had noticed Gork and Mork off in the distance lifting weights as well, and had asked them for help. Gork (or Mork) turned his terrifying gaze made of thousands of Kustom Mega-Blastas firing every second at them and noticed them for a brief moment, and they got pumped as hell from that. The Orks succeeded easily, and it was time for the third round and day. This time the weights were All the Tyranids (even the ones not yet in the galaxy) and All the Necrons. Genetor was happy that she noticed there were fleets in the weight that had not yet arrived in the galaxy - she had called it, and was glad to be vindicated. In fact, she managed to get two Hive Tyrants to come down and help her lift after the GM asked whether I wanted to get some insanity in exchange for help. We got enough successes from my roll alone, and the Kommando also got bonus successes, especially after the Voidmistress decided to come and help with her little weasel arms. Bloodthirster congratulated us and asked whether we would want to stay there one more day - tomorrow was apparantely EXTRA heavy weight day.

We agreed, naturally. Who else was going to show these Chaos demons that Imperial forces were the best at everything, even lifting everything?

And, uh, the weights were literally that. On the one side, Chaos. All of it. On the other side, Imperium at the peak of its power. The Bloodthirster lifted first, with some difficulty despite the fact that he had lifted everything else with no problems at all so far, and told us it was our turn. We succeeded in the roll without a reroll despite ginormous penalties. The Orks, the Genetor and the Voidmistress all lifted with all their might, and since they had begun to realize how this place worked, they passed the ultimate test of strength with flying colors. The Bloodthirster was impressed and told us that once we would die, we would always have a place at his gym. Then he let us back on our ship and flung us back into the warp, and from there we reached our destination quite quickly, where Ordo Malleus was waiting. We got shouted at that they had been waiting us for four months, and we just told them that we had had some 'minor Warp travel issues'.

Gonna stop here for now, tired. Will write the rest of the session later, which includes the Tyranid-upgrades of the Genetor manifesting, a return of an old 'friend' of the dynasty and the beginning of the WAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH-effort.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Farewell to Mambo and the Gym of Destiny

:words:

I have been playing every WH40k RPG wrong :negative:.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So with Paranoia being brought up a while back ( and having recanted this story to a friend just now ) I decided to share my favorite Paranoia memory.

It is the story of 6 infrared trouble shooters and...

The Fatue of Liber Computer.

It begins with the six of us being given a great and mighty task by the great and all powerful and wonderful Computer. As everyone of value was busy at the moment, us six trouble shooters were given the task of going to clean up BETA SECTOR. BETA SECTOR being described to us as riddled with communism, and dust! We were all eager to clean up this horrid place.

The problem of course being, our bunker at Alpha Complex was nowhere near BETA SECTOR. In fact, we would have to board an expensive, and dangerous experimental dropship in order to fly to BETA SECTOR.

So being a dangerous journey etc... we were to take with us some supplies.

These included: Extra Jumpsuits, Laze Pistols, BETA SECTOR creds, used for BETA SECTOR vending machines. Etc etc.

Oh. Right.

And a 12 ton statue of the Computer.

We were told the design of the statue was totally not of some gendered individual ensconced in a lost age's garb holding a flaming piece of debris. It was in fact an "ABSTRACT RENDERING". This was all explained to us by our esteemed Cultural Officer. It was about 10 feet tall, and massively wide. In reality the way i imagined, it looked far less like what we all imagined the computer to look like, and was more like someone had dressed up Honey Boo Boo's mom in patriotic garb. It was less statuesque and more ... Fat. A fat statue. A Fatue.

Now, i must tell you in all honesty, the computer said nothing of the statue. We were told to take the other supplies, and they happened to be arranged with the statue. Or i guess they were. Whats with the statue?

Well thats when one of the troubleshooters spoke up and said, we must deliver the statue. And our minds were made up. We wouldnt want to leave such a precious and valuable, and USEFUL thing behind! So we spent precious time, and effort, loading the multi-ton statue into the back of the dropship. We spent even more precious time arranging what little we could to moor it to the inside of the dropship.

Then we prepared to take off. The dropship slowly lifted off into the air, tilted backwards 5 degrees, and shot to super sonic speed in the course of an instant.

The statue did not. In fact the inertia from it kept it pretty close to where we took off.

As it sailed through the back of the dropship, It took the Cultural officer and itself through the loading gate of the dropship and out into the cool crisp Alpha Complex air. The rest of us panicked and somehow grabbed on to the various netting of the dropship interior, and held on for dear clone-ified life on the most harrowing and windy ride anyone in Alpha Complex had ever experienced.

As we landed near BETA SECTOR we were greeted with the ORBITAL CLONE DELIVERY SYSTEM ( an old popular standby of a lot of paranoia games ) as it landed our forlorn and lost Cultural Officer's clone into the middle of the dropship.

And so thats how we got stranded at BETA SECTOR.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

The Sentence of Ordo Malleus, the Changes, the Return of an Old 'Friend' and the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGH'

To continue from my last post, we had now arrived to Watch Station Erioch (or whatever it was called), the Deathwatch base where an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor was waiting for us. We were ordered to come meet the old Inquisitor Ahmaz of Ordo Malleus in an interrogation room, and we were taken there by a group of Malleus Stormtroopers and Castellan. For once, Castellan was a bit nervous - she was actually afraid that she would also get dragged into this, and had probably been ordered to accompany us due to her role in the Koronus Conclave that had given us the job of heading the war effort. Still, she came with us into the room, although she would mostly stand in the background silently, hoping not to be noticed. Ahmaz was an old, grumpy Inquisitor, mostly kept alive by extensive augmetics and juvenats - I think he was stated to be over 300 years old. He was also clearly someone who gave little to no fucks, he had a pipe, and there was an ash tray pointedly placed on the table in front of him, and he kept dumping all the ash on the floor. Oh right, and he was also accompanied by one of those Assassins who specialize in killing Psykers. Weirdboy was freaked the gently caress out, but luckily didn't try to run away screaming.

Ahmaz didn't at first even state our charges, just said that we know what we are quilty of - we agreed, naturally. Obviously this had something to do with blowing up the secret Malleus base... We talked a little before he presented the actual charges, and most of it was not really surprising. "Destruction of Inquisition property" being the big one, but there was also the one about harboring a fugitive. It took us a second to realize he meant Inquisitor Solomon, the super shady Inquisitor who had told us to go and grab the sword currently holding a Bloodthirster inside of it, and had indirectly caused the Missionary's death (even if he did mysteriously return to the ranks of the living later). First we plead ignorance of Solomon's fugitive status, since we honestly had no idea besides the fact that he was shady, and were countered by Ahmaz that ignorance is not proof of innocence, and added "Wasting Inquisition's time" to the list of charges. Then we tried to put the blame on our dear mysteriously missing friend False Man Seneschal, and called our ship's sheriff, a former PC, now an NPC Kroot, to go and check his apartment - after all, nobody had seen the False Man for months. Nobody had bothered to check out his rooms. Except, apparantely, our Kroot, since after the search came up empty he offhandedly mentioned that it was as empty as it had been when he had raided it earlier. Apparantely when we had been fighting Tyranids earlier he had decided to pre-emptively raid the Seneschal's apartment, figuring that since everyone hated the guy might as well go arrest him on some phony charges. He had not found anything there, the Seneschal and all his equipment having mysteriously gone missing, and he hadn't bothered to tell us this. After some deliberation, we couldn't really fault him for deciding to go after the Seneschal, he showed some welcome initiative. Unfortunately, none of this helped with the "Malleus wants to drag us to Calixis and conduct a big rear end trial"-thing, so as a last ditch effort we tried to shift some of the blame on Castellan by offhandedly mentioning that by the way, Koronus Conclave - in which Solomon had been a member - had introduced us to Solomon.

After looking at us a bit miffed, she did nonetheless say that we were actually integral to the war effort against the Waaargh, since we were the ones that had built up the whole alliance. To take us to a lenghty trial would force a change in leadership, which would slow down the defense enough that the Waaargh could potentially overrun Koronus. Ahmaz deliberated on this for a while, and came to a conclusion: since an actual trial was not an option, perhaps this Waaaargh could be seen us a trial set by the Emperor himself - if we survived and stopped the Waaaargh, we were not quilty. If we failed, we were quilty. With the last statement that the Inquisition was not to offer its help, we were sent off. Castellan stated his goodbyes, in a rather neutral way even. She had hated us for most of the time we had known her, but perhaps we had begun to convince her that perhaps we are not so bad after all - despite the horrible sides to our characters, we had objectively done more good than harm. Oh, and we also gave the sword holding the Bloodthirster to Malleus, and we went to follow the proceeding and had a bit of an "oh, so that's how you safely handle a Daemon sword"-moment when the Malleus staff took it away with great care, with chanting priests praying for the Emperor's protection while the sword was covered in sheets full of protective symbols, not to forget the Stormtroopers and Priests in holy versions of Hazmat suits securing the operation. A bit different from our Missionary's initial "I'm just gonna grab it by the hilt"-thing he had done which had led to his 'death'.

As we geared up to leave we also talked to Inquisitor Trachen, the grouchy old Ordo Xenos Inquisitor on board our ship about what were we gonna do about the fact that Ahmaz had told us Inquisitor was not to help us. He didn't actually care all that much about Ahmaz's declaration, and stated that he was gonna stay if we wanted, since after all, all the poo poo from that decision would fall on our heads. So he stayed, because of course we don't care about pissing off Malleus, plus if we actually did stop the Waaaaargh, we would probably be way too big to be called to a trial without our allies making it difficult to whoever would try to do that. Anyway, off we went back towards Koronus, and while en route there, the stuff the Tyranid brood on board Mortis Thule had done to the Genetor activated. She grew up a size category, got an additional pair of arms and a Bonesword and became bigger and tougher in general - oh right, and everything except her head got a layer of Chitin tough enough to replace the power armour she couldn't wear anymore due to size differences. The Orks saw nothing wrong with the development, the Genetor had been fighting a lot against bigger and bigger threats so it was only natural she grew up, even if the additional arms were a bit weird. She visited Footfall since we were there and left four reports to the right hand man of the radical Inquisitor that was behind the first gene splicing done to the Genetor prior to the events of the campaign. The Acolyte managed to keep his face neutral thanks to the fact that it was completely made of metal, but he did comment that the Inquisitor would appreciate it if I came to visit one of his research stations after the whole business with the Waaaargh was done with, after all, it was pretty loving weird what had happened to the Genetor.

As we had returned to Footfall we got contacted by none other than Joaquin Saul, the richest Rogue Trader around who had collected his massive wealth thanks to nothing but completely legal ventures - our dynasty had a long history of hating Saul above everything else, but crucially, none of the current party actually cared all that much. Saul contacted us to offer his support for the war against the Orks, and after a bit of negotiations, we realized that we did not really have any reason to decline the offer. We could even potentially throw Saul at the most dangerous thing around thanks to our position as the leader of the war. There was also another call waiting, and after the deal was made, we were hailed by this small raider-class ship, and we answered. Another factor into the fact that we made the deal was that only the Kommando and the Weirdboy were actually negotiating, the Voidmistress having returned to NPC-status due to impending new, actual PC instead of something on loan from the Missionary's player.

Now, a little history lesson about our dynasty; slightly prior to my initial introduction to the campaign, the group's Rogue Trader had skipped town since he hadn't wanted to become involved in a political marriage, choosing life as a free man over his duty to the dynasty. Our Kommando had sent bounty hunters after him at one point, telling them to get his head, but he had largely been forgotten afterwards. Quite naturally, the guy with the Raider was, in fact, the former head of our dynasty. When Traska noticed who was calling, he immediately started sharpening one of the sticks in his bosspole, telling the Rogue Trader that he had a place ready for his head on the bosspole already, and the bounty hunters were also mentioned. The Rogue Trader mentioned that things seemed to have changed quite a lot since he had been gone, even if the Kommando was a familiar face - both the Genetor and the Weirdboy were completely unknown to him, and he was slightly weirded out by how all the senior crew present seemed to be on average way bigger than the common crew. Also how everyone seemed to be wary of him, with the Genetor remembering a conversation with the Eldar Autarch on board the ship about a certain pirate who had a bad habit of raiding Eldar fleets and ships... The Genetor decided she did not like the guy, and pretty much told him so - the Genetor has both the talents that indicate good relations with a group, and the group in this case is the Eldar, so she is pretty much the closest a human can get to having a good relationship with the Eldar. We argue for some time there, but we do agree that having his Raider that is fitted with stealth technology would probably be handy. Besides, we could use the Waaaarrgh to test our new 'friend' and his capabilities - if he survives contact with the enemy, good enough, if not, well, no tears shall be shed. The former Rogue Trader also presented the faint suggestion that perhaps after the Waaargh is over he could come back as the RT, but the Genetor told him in no uncertain terms that to do that, he would have to go through the Orks and her before that. He quickly dropped the subject.

And then... then the Waaargh began. The Missionary's player arrived just in time, and the GM took out lists of assets, fleets and the map of Koronus Expanse, and he started deploying our ships and the known Ork ships all over the sector. The Missionary, by the way, was weirded out a bit by the Genetor's new size, as well as the fact that she waved two right hands as she greeted the Missionary. We also noted that now everyone except the newcomer Rogue Trader pirate were in the Hulking size category in combat, since the Missionary is usually going around in power armour, his shining sanctified Artificier armour to be precise. He also regarded the newcomer with suspicion, but got over with it pretty quickly. We had a pretty big fleet, with even stuff like Eldar joining the party on our side, but the Orks, naturally, had more ships. And we didn't even know where all their ships were. We were also told that besides the Warboss, there were five major Nobs, minor warbosses in actual fact;

Albort Orkstein, Goff Big Mek with a habit of building Gargants, Stompas and so on.
Kaptin Silvork, our old friend/enemy, noted pirate and cool guy
Mad Gob (I think?), a Snakebite Kommando - nobody knew where his fleet was, even if we got the location of most of the rest
Some Blood-Axe and some Deffskull, can't remember what their gimmicks were, one or the other used Imperial tactics, the Blood Axes most likely.

Of course, we can't forget the Warboss - he did not have a personal fleet; he only had the largest and heaviest ship in the whole Expanse. The Wurldbreaka. The scene was set, and the war begun. We quickly decided to go and off the Goff Mek, especially since the Orks in our party had hopes of taking over the Waaargh 'For the Emprah'. There were some initial clashes between the Orks and the Imperial forces, and we had more success than they died. Casualties were pretty light on both sides, but we took out several minor fleets of Ork Raiders and managed to fight our way to the planet the Goff was sieging - or to be precise, had taken over since it was classified as a Death World. You see, this was the planet Inquisitor Trachen had been at for several decades, examining the titanic beasts that wandered on the planet. Now? The Orks were building Gargants and Stompas on top of these mountain sized beasts. Time to put a stop to that.
We could have used our assets to auto-complete the mission, with the risk of losing them, but we decided to go in and take this whole operation down by ourselves. Trachen had installed homing beacons/nuclear bombs on each and every single titanic beast on the planet, so it would be possible to go in and take them out by activating these bombs. Of course, someone would have to go and actually fiddle with the bombs... The Weirdboy and the Genetor went in since the Weirdboy could give assists while the Genetor still has a pretty good Tech-Use pool, despite the fact she has not used a single point of XP into improving it besides what the Explorator-archetype gets at the start. The operation is a success, and the destruction of one of the Gargant factories on top of the beast lures out the Big Mek, who tries to leg it. After fighting our way through his Fighta-Bomma escort, our Kommando engages him in a duel, taking off his head in the end and sticking it on his bosspole. He also loots an 'Urty Syringe from the dead Mek, and he has some big plans for that thing...

Then the session is pretty much over, we just get a gargantuan amount of XP in order to take us to the max rank, and we do some shopping. The Kommando uses every single acquisition he has on improving his new weapon, making it way, way more deadly than it was when he got it. The Missionary gets a "Greater Minion of Emperor" (a reskinned Black Crusade minion talent), a Lord Comissar that "has seen some poo poo" - the dude is almost completely mechanical, ancient and a bad rear end almost worthy of PC-dom. But not quite. We also noted that despite the fact that the Genetor had mutated into a big rear end monster, she still had less wounds than the Missionary, despite getting five of them for free. The Missionary has kind of retarded amounts of hitpoints thanks to having used a shitload of XP into buying more wounds. The Genetor also went and talked with the Eldar Autarch on our ship, hoping to get an Eldar Power Sword by approaching the subject with some great care - while the Eldar and the Genetor had a decent relationship, the latest developments in the Tyranid front were a bit worrying. They had a bit of a heart to heart, with the Genetor stating that she believed that her time on the path she had walked for so long was pretty much over unless she wanted to risk losing everything, she mentioned she felt like she should now put everything she had learnt so far into use as a warrior (which makes also sense since every bit of the massive chunk of XP we just received she used into different melee talents), instead of as a scientist. She also mentioned how she was worried about what would happen to her should she die, thinking that it was perhaps possible that the Great Devourer would snatch up her soul and all the information on Imperial technology in it. The Genetor had walked in to the Autarch's room hoping to get a promise of getting an Eldar Power Sword; she walked out with an empty soul stone gifted by the Autarch instead, but over all, she was happy with the end result. OOC the sword would have been nice, but IC, the soul stone fits better. The Rogue Trader's player made an offhanded joke about how he could have sold her a soul stone as well as a shady pirate, but of course the Genetor wouldn't talk about stuff like this with the newcomer. There are probably only two people on board the ship he would speak about this stuff, the Missionary and the Autarch.

Next session is either the finale, or the penultimate session, depending on how long we are going to take taking out the rest of the Waaaaargh until we head to the final confrontation with the Warboss. There are four potential missions, one for each Nob, and then we take on the big bad himself by boarding the Wurldbreaka, and hopefully finally save the Expanse. And of course, we are gonna face Silvork next session too quite obviously, and everybody knows that once we have defeaten him, he switches to our side again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
SpiritOfLenin, I demand you show this picture to your GM before the next session.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

VanSandman posted:

SpiritOfLenin, I demand you show this picture to your GM before the next session.

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last few sessions ive DMed have had a lot of sex and drunken magic missiles in taverns. Maybe we should stop drinking while playing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Another game of Paranoia last night. The Troubleshooters were tasked with creating a parade float and finding a grand marshal. (1/3 of them were assigned to protect the marshall, 1/3 of them wanted to kill them, and 1/3 wanted to BE the marshal.)

One player was tasked to kill the marshal and frame someone else, which he did...during a three person elevator ride. Despite his blatant, blatant killing, he wasn't found guilty.

Various fits of patriotism ensued, including the baking of Apple Pie. At this point, EVERY PLAYER passed me a note (or several) about putting weapons in the pie. Except, for course, for the most serious non-gamer.
She messed with the gas line.

(A shame, because the happiness officer had filled the dough with poison!)

In the end, the self-described robot tried to convert another player into his pawn in a labyrinthian "Phantom of the Opera" scheme...but missed the floats leaving. The Troubleshooters float was actually a stolen Infrared float covered in baked goods, which destroyed both "International Communism: Our Great Hope" and "The Salute to Sudden Stops".

The last player (the serious oven bomber) threw the second-to-last player at the International Communist Float, which exploded, leaving her last person alive and Grand Marshal by default.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 15, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

jimcunningham posted:

The last few sessions ive DMed have had a lot of sex and drunken magic missiles in taverns. Maybe we should stop drinking while playing.

Keep drinking and tell us more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jimcunningham posted:

Sex and drunken :airquote: magic missiles :airquote: