Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Was Mission to Mars the movie where we have a guy building a DNA strand out of M&Ms, declaring it to be the DNA of a 'perfect woman', only to have someone steal one and turn it into a 'frog' or something?

Yup. It also had Dr Pepper being used to find a leak in the space ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Since we're talking about immortality as presented in books as well as movies, I love how Only Revolutions handled it. The two narrators are immortal and never age, and as such have absolutely no concept of death or time. They don't angst over it or anything because they just do not understand it.
That...doesn't make any sense at all. We don't get our concept of death from dying ourselves, we get it from noticing that people around us, you know, tend to die eventually. I'm not familiar with the book, but unless everyone is immortal, they should still 'understand' it as much as anyone.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Strudel Man posted:

That...doesn't make any sense at all. We don't get our concept of death from dying ourselves, we get it from noticing that people around us, you know, tend to die eventually. I'm not familiar with the book, but unless everyone is immortal, they should still 'understand' it as much as anyone.

They get that other people "go" as they put it, but don't seem to understand the implication of it. And I'd say that a lot of our concept of death comes from the fact of our own mortality.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Which on was the one where they had a military robot for exploration and didn't bother to remove the "kill all humans" programming before the mission? Because that was pretty stupid...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That one was Red Planet.

It's ok though, there was a switch on the top of the robot torso, so you couldn't, you know, accidentally hit it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Red Planet is despite the fact that a big chunk of the second half of the movie is Val Kilmer and Tom Sizemore traveling around they absolutely hated each other and refused to film in the same scenes together.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
The Ghosts of Mars was the best movie about mars.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
No it's Mission to Mars because Don Cheadle is in it. Hotel Rwanda is also the best movie about Mars.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea but Ghosts of Mars had silver spray painted automatic weapons (FUTURE TECH! :science: ) as well as a big train.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mission To Mars came out the same year as Impostor and I frequently conflate Gary Sinise's role in either movie.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Ungoal posted:

The Ghosts of Mars was the best movie about mars.

It's my favourite movie that hardly anyone else has ever seen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best Mars movie was Total Recall.

That or Mars Needs Moms.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Does Mars Attacks count, because if so we have a clear winner there.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Does Mars Attacks count, because if so we have a clear winner there.

No it doesn't. But it doesn't matter since as you said we have a clear winner:

oldpainless posted:

The best Mars movie was Total Recall.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

They get that other people "go" as they put it, but don't seem to understand the implication of it. And I'd say that a lot of our concept of death comes from the fact of our own mortality.

This really doesn't work because you can only die once. So my entire concept of death is other people dying. It's not like you die when you're 15, come back, and frame your concept of mortality from that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Razorwired posted:

This really doesn't work because you can only die once. So my entire concept of death is other people dying. It's not like you die when you're 15, come back, and frame your concept of mortality from that.

I don't know, I've heard that you only die twice.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't know, I've heard that you only die twice.
No, you only live twice. You still die just the once.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Razorwired posted:

I'm doing a very poor job of explaining it; I'm not trying to say that people understand the concept of death because they have died, but that knowledge of our own mortality is what gives the concept it's weight, as it were. Like, they understand on some level that death and aging happen, but neither concept "applies" to them. And the book portrays them as being, in some ways, no longer meaningfully human because of this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Nerd travels to Atlantis with ruffians, gets betrayed, finds love, etc.

What gets me is that one of the core points of the film is that the Atlanteans have all forgotten how their incredible machines work and their city is in serious disrepair. Thankfully for the natives, our hero figures out how to fly their machines and there is much rejoicing.

One problem - according to the intro, the city is filled with people who were alive when it sank beneath the waves. But not a single person remembers that the necklaces they wear act as keys to start their cars?

Seriously, you stick the glowy crystal thing into the hole in the control panel which is the exact shape as the crystal and then you turn it. Machine starts. You might be centuries old and living in a dank cave, but that's the sort of thing that seems really really hard to forget.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Alzheimers: The Lost Empire.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

I'm doing a very poor job of explaining it; I'm not trying to say that people understand the concept of death because they have died, but that knowledge of our own mortality is what gives the concept it's weight, as it were. Like, they understand on some level that death and aging happen, but neither concept "applies" to them. And the book portrays them as being, in some ways, no longer meaningfully human because of this.

I looked it up on wikipedia.

quote:

Every page contains upside-down text in the bottom margin, which is actually later pages of the opposite volume.

The first letter of each 8 page "section" is larger and bold when compared to the other letters. When the reader puts the single letters together from Hailey's side they spell out "Sam and Hailey and Sam and Hailey..." etc. When read from Sam's side, they spell out "Hailey and Sam and Hailey and Sam..." etc.

Each half-page contains exactly 90 words. When both stories are combined, the words add together for a total of 180 words per page, perhaps to symbolize the 180 degrees the reader must turn the book to read the opposite volume.[original research?] Also, with both pages open, the full word count is 360, essentially making a revolution (360 degrees) with every open page.

In Hailey's story, all occurrences of the letter O or the numeral 0 (save a handful between pages 180-184) are printed in gold-colored ink (Pantone 146 U). In Sam's story, those characters are printed with green ink (Pantone 356 U). The dates at the top of the sidebars are printed in purple (Pantone 2602 U), as well as the words "creep" and "The Creep." The book includes a concordance of sorts, titled "Now Here Found" in red ink, which lists the word "house" in blue ink (a throwback to Danielewski's first novel, House of Leaves), bringing the total number of colors in the book to five.

Occurrences of words beginning with al- are misspelled with a doubled l's, such as 'allso', 'allone', and 'allready' throughout the book.

Frankly, it sounds like it's more an atrocious pile of gimmicks than a novel.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

What gets me is that one of the core points of the film is that the Atlanteans have all forgotten how their incredible machines work and their city is in serious disrepair. Thankfully for the natives, our hero figures out how to fly their machines and there is much rejoicing.

One problem - according to the intro, the city is filled with people who were alive when it sank beneath the waves. But not a single person remembers that the necklaces they wear act as keys to start their cars?

Seriously, you stick the glowy crystal thing into the hole in the control panel which is the exact shape as the crystal and then you turn it. Machine starts. You might be centuries old and living in a dank cave, but that's the sort of thing that seems really really hard to forget.

What irritates me about that movie is that it is a straight ripoff of Stargate except worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Modern Day Hercules posted:

What irritates me about that movie is that it is a straight ripoff of Stargate except worse.

Actually its a huge rip off of some anime.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
It always annoys me in films, tv, cartoons and sometimes even comic books, when a character meets up with another and the latter tells them the look like terrible ( crap, poo poo awful, etc.)

The annoying part is that the character looks exactly the same as they have in every other scene, that is to say better than humanly possible.

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Mar 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Minority Report, if the pre-cogs could see the future, wouldn't they actually see the cops stopping the crime instead of the crime itself?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

In Minority Report, if the pre-cogs could see the future, wouldn't they actually see the cops stopping the crime instead of the crime itself?

Well, the only way that things seem to work out in any meaningful fashion in regards to causality is that the Pre-Cogs do not see the future at all. Instead, their amazing psychic powers make them clairvoyant to an astounding degree, giving them the ability to sense objects, locations, people, and furthermore, telepathy to read emotions and thoughts. From all that data they then make predictions about what will happen and generate a 'vision' or report.

For example, in the opening scene the mild-mannered guy comes home at the wrong time and catches his wife in bed with another man, leading to murder. If they knew that the wife was unfaithful, that the husband suspected, that the scissors would be right at hand, had a deep knowledge of their emotional states, etc, its pretty easy to pluck from his thoughts that he'll return home to confirm his suspicions and then subsequently snap.

Of course, there are three pre-cogs, the twins and the sister. Sometimes they disagree about interpreting the data, or one has sensed a thought/item/data point the others hadn't considered. This produces the so-called Minority Report which would show a not-murder occurring, and is the crux of the movie.

Naturally, if this is case, all the data/plans/events that would be cops-crashing-in happen after the report has been rendered.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I thought the entire point of the movie was that they're not seeing the only possible future ergo the system is flawed? Seriously that's like the driving force of the movie.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The hologram computers were cool tho.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Even though they had no wireless connectivity? :raise:

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just watched this the other day; it was more than simply inserting the key, you also had to hold your hand on it and turn the key to a certain degree at the same time or something like that. Princess even said something about how she'd tried something similar but missed a crucial detail.

I doubt that fact will make the movie any better though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love the movie, but it kinda irritates me in Ghostbusters how the actors are clearly acting that they are shaking and struggling with their. It might've been a technical thing at the time (having to keep the proton guns stable to put in the special effects), but it looks so fake/we-are-sure-acting-like-this-is-a-struggle that it takes me a little bit out of the picture.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I thought the entire point of the movie was that they're not seeing the only possible future ergo the system is flawed? Seriously that's like the driving force of the movie.

Also in Minority Report, they state early in the movie that they can only foresee premeditated murders, yet Tom Cruise is accused of murder, when it was clearly going to be manslaughter. He had no motive until he already had that guy at gunpoint.

Of course I may not be remembering correctly

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Nobody posted:

Also in Minority Report, they state early in the movie that they can only foresee premeditated murders, yet Tom Cruise is accused of murder, when it was clearly going to be manslaughter. He had no motive until he already had that guy at gunpoint.

Of course I may not be remembering correctly

He had no motive until he was told about it.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I think his "premeditated murder" springs from the decision he made a long time ago, that if he ever found the person that kidnapped his son, he would kill them. He had no motive to kill that specific person in that instant, but he had a set plan to kill the kidnapper if/when he found them.

But then you also have the idea of the self-fulfilling prophecy. If he doesn't see the report, then he doesn't go to that apartment, and he doesn't find the gun. The precogs would have had to sense the other guy's desire to frame Tom cruise along with Tom Cruise physical ability being that much greater than the rest of his team as to avoid capture, in order to form the report.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Even though they had no wireless connectivity? :raise:

The best way to make a computer secure from attacks over the internet, apart from not turning it on, is to connect it to the internet. Pre-crime is controversial and shadowy. By not connecting the computers to each other or the internet, they protect the system from 4channers. Hell, I'm sure they had a guy at the front desk turning away pizza deliveries and people there to pick up free office furniture, and a guy in the mail room whose job it was to call various magazines and tell them they didn't subscribe, and another to return shipments from Columbia House.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

parque bynch posted:

I think his "premeditated murder" springs from the decision he made a long time ago, that if he ever found the person that kidnapped his son, he would kill them. He had no motive to kill that specific person in that instant, but he had a set plan to kill the kidnapper if/when he found them.

But then you also have the idea of the self-fulfilling prophecy. If he doesn't see the report, then he doesn't go to that apartment, and he doesn't find the gun. The precogs would have had to sense the other guy's desire to frame Tom cruise along with Tom Cruise physical ability being that much greater than the rest of his team as to avoid capture, in order to form the report.

except his ability wasn't that much greater. He got lucky, then the girl pre-cog helped him until the surgery. He was hosed without her. Did she see herself in the report? I haven't seen the movie in a while to remember that specific detail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

except his ability wasn't that much greater. He got lucky, then the girl pre-cog helped him until the surgery. He was hosed without her. Did she see herself in the report? I haven't seen the movie in a while to remember that specific detail.

Yeah, she was there but the whole thing is one of those situations where things just don't make sense. Like, Tom Cruise's character only going to kill the guy because of the report would make sense if they were in a world where you couldn't change the future but they were and they did.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Strudel Man posted:

I looked it up on wikipedia.

Frankly, it sounds like it's more an atrocious pile of gimmicks than a novel.

Well, it was a national book award finalist, so apparently I'm not the only one who liked it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If anything that would have highlighted the moral issue even stronger.

"Hey why are we arresting this guy?" - "Beats me, but the precogs said we're gonna, let's not take any chances with whatever it is he might do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Yeah, she was there but the whole thing is one of those situations where things just don't make sense. Like, Tom Cruise's character only going to kill the guy because of the report would make sense if they were in a world where you couldn't change the future but they were and they did.

Its only a problem if you assume that the pre-cogs see the actual future, and not a prediction based on extensive clairvoyance. Like all the thoughts and plans of the conspirators to frame Anderton, for example.

• Locked thread