Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

sircozzie posted:

Wouldn't it take Arya years of training to become a fully fledged faceless 'man' anyway? The way I see it, her training is likely to be permanently interrupted at some point.

Didn't the kindly man say they sped up her training for some reason? Maybe they're accelerating her training for a special job.

e: yeah, after she killed the singer they made her blind

quote:

The kindly man had told her that they would have taken her eyes from her anyway, to help her to learn to use her other senses, but not for half a year. Blind acolytes were common in the House of Black and White, but few as young as she. The girl was not sorry, though. Dareon had been a deserter from the Night’s Watch; he had deserved to die

So maybe she'll learn all their skills even if she doesn't adopt their beliefs.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
actually killing Raff might be more of a nono since a faceless man is never supposed to kill somebody they know.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Narmi posted:

Didn't the kindly man say they sped up her training for some reason? Maybe they're accelerating her training for a special job.

She's been there for... quite a while.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

sircozzie posted:

Wouldn't it take Arya years of training to become a fully fledged faceless 'man' anyway? The way I see it, her training is likely to be permanently interrupted at some point.

Given there was going to be a five year gap between storm and dance, yes.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Are the Roy Dotrice audiobooks the only version that exists? I feel like I remember listening to some of the TV actors reading passages, but that might have just been a one off thing.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Would I be wrong in saying that chapter was the best thing George has written since parts of ASoS? loving hell. So good. Rinses pretty much anything in AFFC or DWD for me at least.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

One of my favorite little touches is all the mentions of cats since Arya has been over seas.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Xenoborg posted:

Are the Roy Dotrice audiobooks the only version that exists? I feel like I remember listening to some of the TV actors reading passages, but that might have just been a one off thing.

No, there are others. But the Roy Dotrice ones are the best.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Lovechop posted:

Would I be wrong in saying that chapter was the best thing George has written since parts of ASoS? loving hell. So good. Rinses pretty much anything in AFFC or DWD for me at least.

Considering Theon's chapters in Dance are some of the best stuff GRRM has written, I'd disagree.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

J-Man X posted:

Thanks for the heads up -- it looks like it is now on his page: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/
Jesus Christ, GRRM can loving well write when he's on, can't he.

Game of Thrones being redone in-universe as Richard III is just so blackly hilarious, too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know whether to smile because we got really really good new material today, or to cry because the rest of it is probably a long way off.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Man that chapter straight up loving owns.

VVV well that explains why :v:

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Someone off on Westeros.org found a quote from Martin talking about the "King of the Mummers" from 2001. He wasn't kidding when he said the chapter was old. Some early draft of it very well may have been from before he dropped the 5 year gap. I could see this originally having a 15-year-old Arya in it. Don't know if it would have been more or less creepy.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Xenoborg posted:

I listened to an audiobook of FFC that had some other guy (John Lee I think his name was), he sounded like a British George Takei.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gandalf21 posted:

Considering Theon's chapters in Dance are some of the best stuff GRRM has written, I'd disagree.

I think it is a great chapter but I have to agree that the Theon/Reek stuff are really well done and show how messed up Theon is by that point.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I love all of the books and don't think he ever lost it. In fact, I enjoyed FFC and DWD the most because it was all new territory for me (the show kind of spoiled the majority of the first 3 books). But I read them all back to back, so I didn't have the long anticipated expectations of those who waited 6 years for the next book.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Could the FM just be training Arya because of religious reasons? They might not care so much about her following the rules as long as she gets revenge for her family. Wasn't the Red Wedding like a huge sin with killing a guest in your home? I am still reading the books so I am a bit unclear on how the religions play out.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Icesler posted:

Could the FM just be training Arya because of religious reasons? They might not care so much about her following the rules as long as she gets revenge for her family. Wasn't the Red Wedding like a huge sin with killing a guest in your home? I am still reading the books so I am a bit unclear on how the religions play out.

What? No. What are you doing in here?!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I thought she was supposed to be Tysha, but Sansa makes more sense.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GodFish posted:

I thought she was supposed to be Tysha, but Sansa makes more sense.

how would a bravosi playwright know anything about tysha?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Tywin visited the whorehouses in Lys. Maybe that's where Tysha is. :v:

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Gandalf21 posted:

And that last Bran chapter. Tyrion's trip down the river was also some of the best parts in the series.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!

colonel_korn posted:

The playwright being named Phario Forel was cool as well. Syrio's brother maybe? :3:

This was my favorite bit by far.

In It For The Tank posted:

And you haven't addressed Alan Taylor's comment, which can really only be taken one way. He says that Melisandre appearing to come back to life is appropriate for her character, given something that we will later find out, and that he probably shouldn't say any more. Question his competency for whatever arbitrary reason you want, but he clearly presents the information like he knows what he is talking about and is so worried about giving something away that he decides to suddenly stop talking about it.

I don't interpret this as Alan Taylor giving away the fact that Melisandre herself has been resurrected a few times. I think Taylor is more nervous about giving away the fact that Melisandre might be able to resurrect others, given her proximity to Jon Snow when he supposedly snuffs it. I didn't interpret the scene referenced as Stannis choking her to death or near-death - he's way too invested in her to do that. He just wanted to hurt/scare her and I tend to believe she let him, because she knew he wouldn't really kill her.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

jsoh posted:

how would a bravosi playwright know anything about tysha?

Yeah, that's one reason why it wouldn't make sense :v:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Why all that random underlining in his copy? Sometimes it seems like it's for no reason at all, and it's pretty distracting.

That said: not bad. I do still think GRRM is a much better storyteller than he is a writer. Some authors can be both, but most are one or the other.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
It seems it's placeholder for italics.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

the jizz taxi posted:

Why all that random underlining in his copy? Sometimes it seems like it's for no reason at all, and it's pretty distracting.

That said: not bad. I do still think GRRM is a much better storyteller than he is a writer. Some authors can be both, but most are one or the other.

When you send a manuscript to a typesetter they usually ask that the stuff you want to have printed in italics is underlined in your manuscript, for better visibility for the typesetter.

I downloaded a Charles Stross ebook once and it had underlining instead of italics as well, it was kind of annoying. Shouldn't be in the final product.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I'm not saying ADWD was bad by the way, I'm just saying that chapter was really good. Theon's chapters in that book were great for sure, I just thought that was better :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That chapter was like a bad parody of George's writing. A few bits stand out as particularly over the top GRRM (buttery light, the word rape being dropped about 40 times, a ten year old feeling up a massive fake cock, a ten year old seducing a grown man and then reaching for his cock to kill him, a ginormous fat guy that needs a 3 person seat, another less fat guy, sexualised 10 year old).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I know it's still creepy as gently caress, but that chapter was supposed to happen with the planned 5 year time skip. So Arya was supposed to be a lot older. 15 or so? Isn't that the age Dany was raped by Drogo?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

escape artist posted:

I know it's still creepy as gently caress, but that chapter was supposed to happen with the planned 5 year time skip. So Arya was supposed to be a lot older. 15 or so? Isn't that the age Dany was raped by Drogo?

Dany was 13.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Yes don't you remember her 14th birthday gently caress?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I know Arya is pretty messed up as it is but if she survives till adulthood she's going to be an even bigger mess.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I mean she's planning on becoming an assassin to murder an entire group of people responsible for killing her family, she was headed towards being a hosed up adult anyway.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

rypakal posted:

Yes don't you remember her 14th birthday gently caress?

Quote for red title material right here, haha.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
GRRM, did you really have to "fake out" the audience with the whole "tonight I'm going to be raped and killed" thing? It's just creepy and weird, and doesn't fool anyone.

Other than that I second most everyone else's feelings, it's one of his better written chapters since ASOS. I don't know why he keeps releasing material though, if he really has another year+ to go he's really just scratching at our wounds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ahahaha I just read that excerpt and I can just picture GRRM staring at Maisie Williams creepily while he tries to figure out the different ways she can get raped.

Also aren't faceless men not supposed to kill people they know?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has no one transcribed that Tyrion chapter from the app yet? All I get from googling is just the excerpt from the chapter released months ago.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

Has no one transcribed that Tyrion chapter from the app yet? All I get from googling is just the excerpt from the chapter released months ago.

You mean this one that was posted in this thread a couple pages ago?

(I was really just looking for an excuse to post this completely unrelated GoT video.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

timp posted:

You mean this one that was posted in this thread a couple pages ago?

(I was really just looking for an excuse to post this completely unrelated GoT video.)

Weird. I missed it I guess.

• Locked thread