Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think Dark Ritual's gone forever. Besides that sort of mana acceleration being maybe too good, that ability seems to be firmly in red at this point (off the top of my head, I know there's a Kamigawa card that gives RRR for 1R).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

dokomoy posted:

When they made that cycle did they view them as all equal in power level?

No, that's why they tried to balance them with rarity. The expectation was that each player would spend about $30-50 on packs and just play with what they got, so if people got the occasional piece of power it wouldn't warp the game because it just wouldn't come up that often.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

dokomoy posted:

Ancestral Recall was a rare, so they did recognize that it was the best. Back then you didn't have SCG or the Internet, so balancing stuff like Black Lotus around the fact that nobody would have more than one in their collection was a legitimate strategy.

Also whoops for some reason I thought Recall had been reprinted in a Standard-legal format more recently than 2000. I guess I was thinking of Bolt being in 2013 and got confused.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 27, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

vOv posted:

My favorite fact about Lightning Bolt is that it's part of a cycle: pay 1 mana, get 3 of something. The white one, Healing Salve, is pretty bad. The blue one, Ancestral Recall, is bugfuck amazing and is widely considered one of the best cards ever printed. The black one, Dark Ritual, is really good, but as good as Recall, so they reprint it occasionally. Bolt's the red one; they bring it out when they need to bring down the power level of creatures. The green one, Giant Growth, is considered well-balanced and is in every core set except 2012 and 2013.

Ritual hasn't been reprinted since 2000, at least as far as Constructed legality is concerned. Probably not coming back, especially since the Modern ban list has a couple of rituals on it.

Also yes, they probably did think they were all on the same power level when first printed because they had zero baseline for appropriate power level. They had a card that let you take and extra for two mana, no questions asked. Oh I didn't know Recall was a rare.

E: Also while we're talking about Ritual, best art right here and I won't hear otherwise-

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 27, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

dokomoy posted:

I've read before that Richard new that some of the cards like moxen etc. were powerful, but they never envisioned people getting 4x of the power cards to make constructed decks. They figured most players would spend $30-50 on cards, and so in an average playgroup one or maybe two people would have one really good card. Basically they envisioned magic being played like sealed. In a sealed pool, 1 mox is not crazy.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't think they had any concept of how powerful drawing cards was.
There was a story of a group trying to decide what was better: weenies, medium creatures or fatties. Turns out it was just whatever deck drew more ancestral recalls ( a four of).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Snacksmaniac posted:

Recall was a rare while the other 4 were commons. They had some idea.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

C-Euro posted:

Oh I didn't know Recall was a rare.

Yeah, and all ABU rares are practically mythics because rarity distribution back then was all wonky. 74 commons, 95 uncommons, and 115 rares.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Snacksmaniac posted:

There was a story of a group trying to decide what was better: weenies, medium creatures or fatties. Turns out it was just whatever deck drew more ancestral recalls ( a four of).

They had some inkling but it'd be a long time before it was anything like costed fairly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vOv posted:

Also whoops for some reason I thought Recall had been reprinted in a Standard-legal format more recently than 2000. I guess I was thinking of Bolt being in 2013 and got confused.

Bolt wasn't in 2013, its last printing was M11.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nissir posted:

How the hell have I never heard of the VS CCG? I don't think I have even ever seen it in a gaming store, and I have seen unopended Garbage Pail kids cards sitting next to uncracked X-Files stuff in the last week :(

Because you lived in a deprived area. It was great because it was basically UDE going all out on a new game funded by YuGiOh profits. I was pissed when they just let it die. But shortly after, they lost the rights to print YGO, so it probably wasn't going to last long, anyway. The prize structures for the tournaments were absolutely insane.

I still have my two cases of cards including extended art promos for basically everything Mutant set and prior. I even use my Hellboy life wheels to keep track of life during FNM. It's always cool when a random guy shows up and goes ":monocle: Oh poo poo! VS!" Then we :hfive: and lament playing Theros draft together.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Ritual hasn't been reprinted since 2000, at least as far as Constructed legality is concerned. Probably not coming back, especially since the Modern ban list has a couple of rituals on it.

Also yes, they probably did think they were all on the same power level when first printed because they had zero baseline for appropriate power level. They had a card that let you take and extra for two mana, no questions asked. Oh I didn't know Recall was a rare.

E: Also while we're talking about Ritual, best art right here and I won't hear otherwise-

Uh no. :colbert:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Guay Dark Ritual best Dark Ritual.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Tempest Dark Ritual art is the best, wrap it up folks.

e: lol just realized the first one posted is Urza's Saga. The power level of that block is absolutely bonkers

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm always so tempted to get these until I remember that nobody will see them for more than a fraction of a second until I blow my load with tendrils. So pretty, though.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Richard Garfield has literally said that his original plan for Magic was that if Magic ever got popular enough that people would own more than 1 piece of power in their entire collection that Wizards would be raking in so much money that they'd have the resources to take care of it. That's why certain Alpha cards are so overpowered.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

Richard Garfield has literally said that his original plan for Magic was that if Magic ever got popular enough that people would own more than 1 piece of power in their entire collection that Wizards would be raking in so much money that they'd have the resources to take care of it. That's why certain Alpha cards are so overpowered.

I'm imagining roving gangs of thugs in pointy hats going "That's a nice set of Lotuses ya got there, pal. Why don't ya let us hold onto 'em for safekeeping?"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I will always love the Ice Age Dark Ritual.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jassi007 posted:

I've read before that Richard new that some of the cards like moxen etc. were powerful, but they never envisioned people getting 4x of the power cards to make constructed decks. They figured most players would spend $30-50 on cards, and so in an average playgroup one or maybe two people would have one really good card. Basically they envisioned magic being played like sealed. In a sealed pool, 1 mox is not crazy.

Cards were originally not limited to 4 per deck.

C-Euro posted:

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AgentSythe posted:

The Tempest Dark Ritual art is the best, wrap it up folks.

e: lol just realized the first one posted is Urza's Saga. The power level of that block is absolutely bonkers

It's actually a really fun limited format, even if black is the best color (mainly because Pestilence and Corrupt were both common).

Toshimo posted:

Cards were originally not limited to 4 per deck.

Yup. I cherish my memories of the 10x Taiga, 30x Kird Ape deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure all Dark Ritual art owns. :smugbert: What now?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Argue like a pedant or :getout:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bhsman posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure all Dark Ritual art owns. :smugbert: What now?

And yet...

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Lightning Strike: death knell of the Lightning Bolt or no?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

First Bass posted:

Lightning Strike: death knell of the Lightning Bolt or no?
No more than Incinerate or Volcanic Hammer. They like tinkering around with the power level of creature removal, and while right now removal is light, I'm sure we'll eventually see another standard with Lightning Bolt.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Bring back fireblast.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Toshimo posted:

And yet...

...what the hell is even being depicted here?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

And yet...

Not seeing the problem? :colbert:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

A sinister rite.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

And yet...

Guy looks like the skull kid from Majora's Mask, the art owns.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Other possible interpretation is a really spiky Metroid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone seen the BW Midgrange list that BBD ran at Cincinnati last weekend somewhere? Or will I need to get SCG premium? I saw a video of him playing a BW deck against Vanmeter a week or so back but I'd like to know if he's made changes, since that list influenced me into taking Brimaz in my own deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

A very dark ritual

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PSA: Within 15 miles of the center of town, Baltimore has 20 (Twenty) stores at FNM level or higher, most of which stock singles.

This doesn't even count the stores around DC that are 45 minutes or less away.

Welcome to the Wizard Poker Mecca.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Toshimo posted:

PSA: Within 15 miles of the center of town, Baltimore has 20 (Twenty) stores at FNM level or higher, most of which stock singles.

This doesn't even count the stores around DC that are 45 minutes or less away.

Welcome to the Wizard Poker Mecca.

If you are feeling froggy you can hit up dream wizards (will always be my flgs no matter where I am) they have some really skilled players and a very competitive environment if that is your thing. The owner there is also really cool and if you; love cranky goths Doug is your guy. MD really is a wizard poker state.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's weird, whenever I picture Baltimore, I picture pretty much The Wire, so it's kind of strange to imagine that right next to that there's a bunch of people playing wizard poker with $3000 decks.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

PleasantDirge posted:

If you are feeling froggy you can hit up dream wizards (will always be my flgs no matter where I am) they have some really skilled players and a very competitive environment if that is your thing. The owner there is also really cool and if you; love cranky goths Doug is your guy. MD really is a wizard poker state.

This is a piece of poo poo store run by piece of poo poo people.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

What a Judas posted:

Do tell!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

What a Judas posted:

This right here is the God's Honest Truth. I'd chop my own dick off before I went to that hellhole again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oh now I really need to hear more from both sides :allears:

• Locked thread