Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just Platinumed DW8 yesterday. Really the worst part was doing all of the Chaos stages. The weapon grinding went pretty quickly since I had Fortune Hunter 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I would buy the gently caress out of a Type/Moon Musou game, no lie.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why not just have Anime Musou with everything thrown in?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, presumably we'd like to see this game in the West.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

It's not like THEY seem to really care about that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Uncle Ulty posted:

I just Platinumed DW8 yesterday. Really the worst part was doing all of the Chaos stages. The weapon grinding went pretty quickly since I had Fortune Hunter 20.

I was hoping to finish this up today before I got off work since my weekend starts today but I actually got projects yesterday and today so I had to do actual work. :argh:

I also found the Chaos levels to be the most tedious part and they are unfortunately what I saved for last. At least with the bond grinding you could watch a movie or something while you did it, but with the Chaos levels you have to actually pay attention and they take like ~15 minutes each.

I found the weapons to be pretty easy to get by just dumping all of my money in Special Weapons every time I got close to hitting the cash cap and reloading if I didn't get something I needed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Policenaut posted:

Is there anything stopping Koei from just doing Japanese and English text as selectable options for games like that, outside of effort on their part?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Is there anything stopping Koei from just doing Japanese and English text as selectable options for games like that, outside of effort on their part?

Theoretically they could do that for Asian releases. Some PS3/Vita games have English and Chinese language options when released in the greater part of Asia but those are far and few between.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Word of warning: the English version of DW8 for ps4 does not have the option to turn off the Depth of Field effect. Yet, anyway; I hear it was introduced in a patch so maybe we will get it too. Maybe.

Just picked it up, and despite that (and controller speaker voices. Thank god for external speakers) I like it so far, though I only played one mission. Didn't play too far into vanilla so I like that I can experience everything with the extra bells and whistles.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's out on PS3 now too. 22 gigs for the expansion. :shepface: Guess I won't be playing this any time today.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the ps4 version doesn't look much better than the ps3 version while being unable to keep a steady frame rate. I'm just going to assume it will eventually be patched up like the wii u version of orochi.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryoga posted:

I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the ps4 version doesn't look much better than the ps3 version while being unable to keep a steady frame rate. I'm just going to assume it will eventually be patched up like the wii u version of orochi.
I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It probably goes without saying but do they add anymore English dialogue, in terms of the narrator and random camp bits, to the PS4 release or is it the exact same as PS3?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoga posted:

the resolution is nice at least... I have a feeling if you gave Omega Force the entire computing power of Amazons cloud they would produce a 30 fps game. I just come to expect it at this point.

and I'm on my phone so I can't multiquote well, but Lunethex I haven't noticed any new spoken dialog yet, though I've only played for a few hours so far. Lu Bu's story cut scenes are voiced, but the narration isnt.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Lunethex posted:

The current versions already have a boatload of men on screen, I can't wait to see what it looks like on PS4, with the reported 150 guys.

yeeesssss

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Jibo posted:

It's out on PS3 now too. 22 gigs for the expansion. :shepface: Guess I won't be playing this any time today.

Only 2 gigs less than the full game + expansion on PS4, at least after it has downloaded 3gb it lets me play the tutorial over and over

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still can't figure out exactly what Kojuro's weapon is in Sengoku 4.

There appears to be a sword in there, and I think a gun too, and something that shoots lasers, and also some kind of exploding weapon, and I don't even know anymore. He's the only character that I can't really tell what he is doing for most of his animations, other than hitting enemies with something.

All I know for sure is that a lot of characters in this game were clearly designed for female players and he is high on that list.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, the blade reminds me of a Kris. I haven't played the game (waiting for US release), so I can't comment on anything he may do with that weapon.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
It's a shield, gun, sword, flute combo. I don't think he's all that great, but fairly passable. Oh, is R1 special also lets him shoot explosive rounds.

SW4 story is about 30 hours long in total. Vagrant mode I've barely scratched, but it seems like a decently long grind.

Created characters seem to be limited to 5 movesets. Sword, Spear, Naginata, Sword/Gun, and Double Daggers(?).

Sword/Gun is pretty strong overall. Double Daggers are pretty crazy with double elemental attacks (fire and ice). Haven't tried the others yet.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, quit being melodramatic. It was perfectly playable, and a big step up from having no access to the game whatsoever.

It was in no way playable whatsoever even after the patch, and at many times ran at half speed much worse than any slowdown I've seen from the PS2 dynasty warriors. It was trash.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Sonata Mused posted:

Created characters seem to be limited to 5 movesets. Sword, Spear, Naginata, Sword/Gun, and Double Daggers(?).

Sword/Gun is pretty strong overall. Double Daggers are pretty crazy with double elemental attacks (fire and ice). Haven't tried the others yet.

You can't unlock and use officer movesets anymore? If not, that's actually a huge step back CAW-wise. Disappointing.

I mean, I'll still get the game and play the hell out of it, but disappointing.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'm sure there are more. If you press circle on the Style area of the character creation there are a whole bunch of entries which are just question marks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First screenshots for WO3U PS4.

Looks like Warriors Orochi 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Doesn't surprise me, I'm excited to see if there's any kind of substantial improvement in whatever their first just for next gen installment is. I can't even remember, was Warriors Orochi/Strike Force/Samurai Warriors significantly different between the PS2/360 versions? Did they ever speak of Samurai Warriors again after KATANA and 3 tanked on the Wii?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I am in just for more dudes on screen. Vanilla WO3, while lousy with pop in had an awesome number of dudes on the map.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So I had to abandon my 68 hours of DW8 on PS3 because I hadn't updated it before I got rid of the game... and I'm having to go through and redo all the campaign stages etc.

Uh.. I'm gonna be cheesing this accidentaly because I started LuBu's campaign... which givs you a level 20+ Lu Bu and starts dropping tier three weapons like nobodies business as soon as you're playing. And it unlocks all of the weapon catagories too so you'll be getting stuff for the Jin-era officers off of the guys you fight in LuBu and the three kingdoms generics.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Calax posted:

Uh.. I'm gonna be cheesing this accidentaly because I started LuBu's campaign... which givs you a level 20+ Lu Bu and starts dropping tier three weapons like nobodies business as soon as you're playing. And it unlocks all of the weapon catagories too so you'll be getting stuff for the Jin-era officers off of the guys you fight in LuBu and the three kingdoms generics.
That's so, so fitting for Lu Bu.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't know what exactly people expected of the series on the PS4, but it should have been more dudes and very little else. The entire series only looks a little better than the late PS2 games two generations later, it's just that Omega Force can fit more and more generic soldiers on screen at once.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It took me way, way too long to figure out how to raise leadership level in DW8:XL

Speaking of ambition mode, anyone know what the game gives you for doing 30 and 100 (:gonk:) battle chains? I'm curious if it's worth my patience at all.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Drakenel posted:

It took me way, way too long to figure out how to raise leadership level in DW8:XL

Speaking of ambition mode, anyone know what the game gives you for doing 30 and 100 (:gonk:) battle chains? I'm curious if it's worth my patience at all.

IIRC 30 is Shadow Runner and 100 is Red Hare, but I may be wrong

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

TheTofuShop posted:

IIRC 30 is Shadow Runner and 100 is Red Hare, but I may be wrong

Oh gently caress that. I don't care nearly enough when I have BATTLE PANDA.

Also, Koei managed to surprise me a bit with it's dialogue today. Among Zhuge Liang telling me how vital I am to his plans to end the chaos, and Xu Huang telling me how great a warrior I am, Wang Yi straight up tells me to visit her tent tonight. I didn't think Koei was ever that forward with generic dialogue. (For someone who wasn't No from samurai warriors.)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You get Shadow Runner for 30, Hex Mark for 60, Red Hare for 90, and an elephant for 100. I assume this is the non-XL Ambition mode. Also if you like the Panda you get a golden panda for maximizing the levels on all facilities plus getting all allies, it has all four assistance bonuses.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lunethex posted:

You get Shadow Runner for 30, Hex Mark for 60, Red Hare for 90, and an elephant for 100. I assume this is the non-XL Ambition mode. Also if you like the Panda you get a golden panda for maximizing the levels on all facilities plus getting all allies, it has all four assistance bonuses.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Shadow Runner for a streak of 30, Hex Mark for your second streak of 30, and then Red Hare for your third streak of 30 then the elephant is straight up for a streak of 100 so if you really need to break up the monotony and want Red Hare you can do it in 30 battle increments.

If you're going to to go for the 100, make sure you set it to Beginner because by the time you hit 70 or so the people will be so drat buffed you will hate yourself even that low. I recommend just doing 10 material battles and blitzing to the last guy then saving and doing some story mode or whatever. Repeat 10 times and you get all of those streak mounts.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You find random elephants in the barracks dispatches, I found out. And yeah, got GOLDEN PANDA for getting the emperor in with accordance with my maxed fame or some poo poo.

Also, max level is 150. Hit that with my boy Lu Meng with his crazy rear end wide normal attack string. Also dumping money into the academy since I was richer than the emperor with selling off duplicate animals.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drakenel posted:

....go on.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Ah, right. Basically, you have to use your bodyguard's 'special' ability under the commands in the start menu during battle. They all do minorly useless things but you can spam most of them onto a single base or unit right in front of you and watch the leadership level jump like seven times per mission. (To be clear, not the first three commands, the fourth. You'll see 'FEAT' above your head if you're doing it right.)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ok that makes sense. I was messing around with commands every once in a while and noticed things like fame +5 pop up, but now I see exactly why. Spamming the 4th one really does speed up the progress - thanks!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I finally got XL downloaded and installed and so far I have a few observations.

1. They changed Zhang Liao's voice actor and he is not nearly as good. Kind of sounds like Liu Bei now.

2. Chen Gong's characterization is loving perfect and his weapon is awesome if not tremendously powerful.

3. The texture detail or lighting or something that I can't quite put my finger on seems to be improved on the PS3 version.

4. Horses turn their heads and lean into turns now.

5. Everyone loving swaps weapons like crazy in Chaos mode. I haven't done lower difficulties so I'm not sure if that happens there too. It's also harder to interrupt them swapping the weapon this time around. So that means all those generic spear officers are going to be grappling you a lot now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You get +30 feat for a successful bodyguard ploy, so yeah.

Ditto on Zhang Liao. I heard him and I was like "Nooo, Liang, dude. What happened to you? Why are you privately telling me you want a different hat because people think you're scary? Don't be a wuss."

Also turning horses in a circle looks hilariously stupid now, especially if you've got a spear weapon cause it looks like you're stuck on a tether that's swinging both you and the horse around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Roger Craig Smith, a.k.a Chris Redfield is no longer greatest Wei general Zhang Liao?

:smithicide: