Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
And Rodgers absolutely would have been expected to start immediately if the Niners had taken him, so it worked out pretty well for him in the end.

loving Mike Nolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
And Rivers sitting was more a response to him holding out and the team being forced to start Brees in 2004.

The only QBs I can recall who were drafted with the intention of sitting for the first year were Brees and Palmer, and Brees was a second rounder so it doesn't matter as far as this conversation goes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Romo is a high pick?

Of course not, but there's obvious benefits to bringing on a good young QB and letting him develop behind the scenes, and everything outside of that is based around WINZ NOW which is a stupid strategy no matter how you slice it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I want to say the plan was for Gabbert to sit for at least a while but they threw him in almost immediately. Locker and Ponder sat for a while, Locker at least only started when Hasselbeck went down.

Man what a top of a draft, everyone except those guys in the top 15 is somewhere between solid starter and amazing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grittybeard posted:

I want to say the plan was for Gabbert to sit for at least a while but they threw him in almost immediately. Locker and Ponder sat for a while, Locker at least only started when Hasselbeck went down.

Man what a top of a draft, everyone except those guys in the top 15 is somewhere between solid starter and amazing.

But dude. The quarterback is the most important position on the field.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Colt Lyerla's latest gambits are a personal apology tour with NFL executives and firing at least two agents. He will get drafted on Day 3 and make some team's fans go crazy.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Locker and Ponder sat for a while, Locker at least only started when Hasselbeck went down.

Locker had zero starts in his first season, and only saw extensive action in two games where he looked pretty great. Then he won the QB "battle" in 2012 training camp (it wasn't even close).

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
gently caress Jake Locker

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Whisenhunt is going to save his career

please dumbass teams in the top ten let Bridgewater fall to 11

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just pray Bridgewater doesn't go to a city with any prominent bridges.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Grittybeard posted:

I want to say they still had Garrard on the team throughout training camp and preseason and then just released him out of the blue and threw Gabbert in week 1 (Jack Del Rio being the huge dickhead that he is supposedly let his defense have a free run to injure Garrard in practice).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Colt Lyerla's latest gambits are a personal apology tour with NFL executives and firing at least two agents. He will get drafted on Day 3 and make some team's fans go crazy.
He went pretty quickly in the TFF draft!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I want to say they still had Garrard on the team throughout training camp and preseason and then just released him out of the blue and threw Gabbert in week 1 (Jack Del Rio being the huge dickhead that he is supposedly let his defense have a free run to injure Garrard in practice).

I think Garrard was released earlier than that and they ran with a McCown brother for a bit, who then got injured.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Lyerla and his conspiracy theories seems like a perfect fit for the Seahawks

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Rasczak posted:

Lyerla and his conspiracy theories seems like a perfect fit for the Seahawks

Don't forget his rampant drug use as well! It's meant to be.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
SMH that MattW did this nice post about Bortles and all you guys can talk about is benching QBs.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Things I'm noticing now that this is the second time I've seen this game.. (PICTURES!!!)

- He's been compared to Andrew Luck but Luck runs effortlessly, while Blake looks like he has to really exert himself to accelerate. He looks more like current day Ben Roethlisberger, who only uses his athleticism to stretch end to end and maybe throw on the run, and not to take off. He may have the body to sustain the hits (although peep Roethlisberger's injury history, having a big frame doesn't mean durable), but he looks unnatural running up the field.

- He does not set his feet well and often throws unbalanced or off his back foot. He doesn't seem to have a natural feel for pressure. It may be the result of these things but the short passing velocity is underwhelming, and you expect to see a QB built like Bortles to be able to spit hot fire like Busta. The deep ball arcs are not great and the first interception needed better touch, but it's hard to judge some of them because the receivers were held the whole way by a struggling Baylor secondary.

His second interception is an awful play all around:

Stares down his target at the snap, leaves his feet throwing with his momentum carrying him backwards, the throw is actually behind his target to begin with before it's even tipped. Had it not been tipped, it would likely have been a pick six, as the defender already jumped in front of the tight end and then had to adjust to the deflection.

Throwing behind his receivers is actually a common occurance in that game and I took more snapshots but I figure you can just watch the video and see for yourselves.

Most of you are lazy though so here's an actual positive gif (even though my overall impression of that game was serious disappointment). Here's some of that Roethlisberger. Guard immediately beat, Bortles has absolutely no chance.

All the jerking off the scouts are doing over that Manziel play where he jumps into a wall? THIS is the real poo poo. This is NFL poo poo. Not that fuckin high school bullshit, this play translates like the fuckin rosetta stone. It looks very similar right? Only mirrored? Except Bortles didn't drop back into a completely clean pocket, arbitrarily decide to look for the nearest, least possible running lane and book it, smashing his idiot body backwards and then playing Human Slalom for 10 seconds. I mean this gif is vintage 2006-2008 Roethlisberger. Sheds the sack with herculean strength, rolls to his right, throws accurately on the run, floats it over the defenders head.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I still can't get over his size and lack of arm strength. Is that something in his mechanics that might be corrected at the next level?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When his mechanics are good on a throw it does have a little more zip. But his footwork and balance always seem to break down when he feels the rush coming. Sometimes even when it isn't coming.

Bortles makes a nice move to evade a defender and step up into the pocket. The running back is flat out uncovered, and Blake's got at least a little time to set his feet and make the proper throw. The MLB is completely out of the play at this point, because he was spying, and now he's flatfooted.

But Bortles hurries his throw, leaves his feet, throws well behind his receiver. It's kinda blurry but I believe this is the RB and this is the football.

Now, he's throwing across his body, and that's always difficult, but in that circumstance, he might have been better off just taking off to his right. The spy's in no mans land, and is gonna be slow to get there no matter what. One pump fake and he's probably completely toast. But very few good things come from throwing behind the receiver. You're asking for the ball to be swatted into the air by a flailing arm into a waiting defender.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I still can't get over his size and lack of arm strength. Is that something in his mechanics that might be corrected at the next level?

I think Bortles is perfectly capable of throwing it deep, he's just not very accurate when he does it. That sounds like a mechanics problem to me.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

His up the middle passes seemed to have good enough speed, he had a couple of impressive tosses there.

It was said he "purposefully" overthrew at his pro day to show off his strength but that seems like bullshit media spin to me.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

PrinceRandom posted:

It was said he "purposefully" overthrew at his pro day to show off his strength

lol

I want to see someone argue that they purposefully ran the 40 slower than they normally could because they wanted to save all their energy for their future NFL team.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

:tinfoil: territory but I wonder if, after Teddys pro day, that Bortles was going to have an "impressive" day regardless of what he did just for narrative.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Good Bortles write up. I don't particularly want him on my team since he reminds me of Josh Freeman a bit too much with slightly better accuracy and worse arm strength.

PrinceRandom posted:

:tinfoil: territory but I wonder if, after Teddys pro day, that Bortles was going to have an "impressive" day regardless of what he did just for narrative.

Of course he was. Now that there is even more time until the draft the sports media at large has a ton of incentive to keep loving with the QB rankings.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Here is Merril Hoge pulling a character assassination on Clowney if anyone cares to watch.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Of course he was. Now that there is even more time until the draft the sports media at large has a ton of incentive to keep loving with the QB rankings.

lol

No guys, they don't manufacture QB controversy storylines on purpose. There's been plenty of times where multiple QBs had bad evaluation processes, like last year for instance. What you're seeing is confirmation bias. There are plenty of people out there that said Bridgewater had an ok pro day, like Bill O'Brien for instance. The McShays of the world are so far up their own rear end that they seriously believe everything they say, it just looks like stupid manufactured storylines.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bhsman posted:

Here is Merril Hoge pulling a character assassination on Clowney if anyone cares to watch.

We all have some degree of compassion for what concussions do to an athlete after their career is over but every now and then I find myself thinking it would improve my own life just a little bit if Hoge had died when he went through his stuff.

e: poo poo you tricked me into clicking on a first take link. Bastard.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

lol

No guys, they don't manufacture QB controversy storylines on purpose. There's been plenty of times where multiple QBs had bad evaluation processes, like last year for instance. What you're seeing is confirmation bias. There are plenty of people out there that said Bridgewater had an ok pro day, like Bill O'Brien for instance. The McShays of the world are so far up their own rear end that they seriously believe everything they say, it just looks like stupid manufactured storylines.

Bucky Brooks, or someone else with NFL network,just released a mock which had zero QBs going in the first round. You going to sit there and tell me that he actually believes that, that it isn't just click bait and manufactured controversy?

This the media machine that has Jaws say something ridiculous once every few months just so they can fill hours by talking about what he said. I'm confident that at least half of Kiper and McShay's stuff is designed to be attention grabbing, not accurate.

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I just pray Bridgewater doesn't go to a city with any prominent bridges.

something something Minnesota. something something 'rebuilding phase'.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Bucky Brooks, or someone else with NFL network,just released a mock which had zero QBs going in the first round. You going to sit there and tell me that he actually believes that, that it isn't just click bait and manufactured controversy?

This the media machine that has Jaws say something ridiculous once every few months just so they can fill hours by talking about what he said. I'm confident that at least half of Kiper and McShay's stuff is designed to be attention grabbing, not accurate.

Honestly? I think half of it are the sports conglomerates twisting what the draft pundits are saying in order to get the storylines. There was a good deadspin article a while back about how Jaws compared Kaepernick to some great QB in an offhand throwaway line. ESPN picked up that specific line and created huge news stories like "Jaws crowns Kaepernick" and dragged Jaws in front of the camera to defend his statement. Jaws, for a while when he first became a talking head, came off as an extremely intelligent football mind. I highly doubt that Jaws would be someone who just creates stories for click views.

This couples with my theory that most of the mock drafts and player analysis's aren't done by Mel Kiper Jr or many other popular draft pundits. Their schedules are simply too full for them to devote the same amount of time on evaluating prospects as they did when they were coming up. I believe almost all of it is farmed out to interns, then they slap Mel Kipers stupid face on it and people eat it up.

But, mainly my point is that when you give someone a platform to talk about the draft, most opinions are gonna be just that, opinions. People have stupid opinions. People have misinformed opinions. People let biases and prejudices affect their opinions both consciously and subconsciously.

Does Bucky Brooks think there will be no QBs in the first? Fuckin' maybe. There's no such thing as being written in stone when it comes to the draft. People can have wide opinions about anything and be as right or wrong about them as things we're 100% confident about. Neither you nor I can predict the first round of the draft, and if we can, then we're just hella lucky.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Honestly? I think half of it are the sports conglomerates twisting what the draft pundits are saying in order to get the storylines. There was a good deadspin article a while back about how Jaws compared Kaepernick to some great QB in an offhand throwaway line. ESPN picked up that specific line and created huge news stories like "Jaws crowns Kaepernick" and dragged Jaws in front of the camera to defend his statement. Jaws, for a while when he first became a talking head, came off as an extremely intelligent football mind. I highly doubt that Jaws would be someone who just creates stories for click views.

Yeah this is the annoying thing to me, saying Kaep has a whole shitload of tools to work with as an athlete and could (in theory, maybe, if everything goes right) develop into an amazing quarterback was his original point wasn't it? Which is fine, he does.

I remember liking Jaws as the goofy looking guy breaking things down when he first started too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Does Bucky Brooks think there will be no QBs in the first? Fuckin' maybe. There's no such thing as being written in stone when it comes to the draft. People can have wide opinions about anything and be as right or wrong about them as things we're 100% confident about. Neither you nor I can predict the first round of the draft, and if we can, then we're just hella lucky.
I think Bucky Brooks was only trying to make the point that this is a loaded draft and not that literally no QB will be taken in the first round. There are too many teams that draft based on Best Player Available to let that happen. If one of the top QBs got to Philadelphia or New York there's no way they wouldn't draft them if they were the BPA, regardless of the ire that would draw from their respective franchises. Draft first ask questions later.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 26, 2014

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
A lot of the writers at Rotoworld are really dumb but their breakdowns of 2014 Class are really really cool.

Its crazy how much better Aaron Donald is right now over the other DT prospects.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46653/349/peshek-dt-metrics-10

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Hahaha.

He's saying what makes Mack successful is transitioning from MLB to OLB? The Bengals have more LBs on their roster that have made that transition at some point than haven't.

Does this guy qualify as sentient?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Are there any good scatbacks in the draft? There has been a lot of talk about the Vikings adding a scatback/3rd down back, since it is a big part of Turner's offense and the Vikings were awful on 3rd downs last year. Unless you count Percy Harvin, the Vikings haven't had a scatback since the days of David Palmer and Amp Lee.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
De'Anthony Thomas?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eifert Posting posted:

Hahaha.

He's saying what makes Mack successful is transitioning from MLB to OLB? The Bengals have more LBs on their roster that have made that transition at some point than haven't.

Does this guy qualify as sentient?

No no no it's FOOTBALL SKILLS and PASSION FOR THE GAME and OTHER GARBAGE.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it bad that I'm half hoping a top 15 overall DE or DB gets caught with pot or something to drop him to 24? The Bengals have the potential to be looking at nothing but DTs, WRs and overvalued QBs at 24 and it makes me nervous. Man, I know people say 31 is the worst pic but having so many teams go before yours without a postseason win to show for it really sucks. :ohdear:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it bad that I'm half hoping a top 15 overall DE or DB gets caught with pot or something to drop him to 24? The Bengals have the potential to be looking at nothing but DTs, WRs and overvalued QBs at 24 and it makes me nervous. Man, I know people say 31 is the worst pic but having so many teams go before yours without a postseason win to show for it really sucks. :ohdear:

You don't think the loser between HaHa and Pryor will be available around then? Unless you meant Gilbert or Dennard exclusively?

Though reading what people in here say about Pryor I don't really want much to do with him.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Intruder posted:

De'Anthony Thomas?

I did some cursory research and he looks like an option and Dri Archer seems like a similar player. Not as good of a receiver, but he has a similar build and 4.26 speed. Ka'deem Carey is also supposed to be a good receiver out of the backfield, but he's not the same type of player as Thomas or Archer.

Edit: After watching some highlights of both Thomas and Archer. Thomas' receiving ability really stands out and Archer's speed definitely shows up in his highlights. Both guys are super quick and agile and have good hands, but I'd prefer Thomas at this stage since he seems like a more polished receiver.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

You don't think the loser between HaHa and Pryor will be available around then? Unless you meant Gilbert or Dennard exclusively?

Though reading what people in here say about Pryor I don't really want much to do with him.

What are people saying about Pryor? I haven't heard too many major flaws about him.

• Locked thread