Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

Also 太陽餅 have officially jumped the drat shark.
I have never understood why people like taiyangbing in the first place. Maybe I've only had bad ones, but they're firmly in the same category of "well I guess someone likes them" as mooncakes.

hitension posted:

Uhhh I do believe you mean bananas
I want so badly for this to be what ends Qiu Yi. Every time he speaks somewhere, I want someone to mention bananas or throw a banana at him. I want this to haunt him until someone finally destroys his wig's phylactery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

I want so badly for this to be what ends Qiu Yi. Every time he speaks somewhere, I want someone to mention bananas or throw a banana at him. I want this to haunt him until someone finally destroys his wig's phylactery.

Care to explain this one?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Qiu Yi is a convicted slanderer, former[?] KMT legislator, and self-appointed policer of the DPP (usually by just making some poo poo up and hoping someone buys it).

For years he denied that he was wearing a wig, until some Chen Shui-bian supporter publicly proved that false.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtXeF0_kt-o&t=12s

The other day he realized he was suffering a deficit of attention and decided to jump out and talk some poo poo about the protests, saying that the students were clearly eating bananas from a massive pile on the podium in the LY, and that the bananas were sent by the DPP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJXj-1ll4vg

That "obvious pile of bananas" is sunflowers.

(For bonus shitlord points, back after the 2004 election Chiu Yi was arrested for dragging himself atop a speaker truck and trying to incite a riot because the DPP won (IIRC).)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

I have never understood why people like taiyangbing in the first place. Maybe I've only had bad ones, but they're firmly in the same category of "well I guess someone likes them" as mooncakes.

They are delicious, but impossible to eat without getting big fat flakes of them all over yourself. I can only eat them bachelor-style over a trash can.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

My ex-girlfriend, whose family invented them 4 generations ago (they used to be power players in the local politics too, granddad was the guy who got all the red envelopes from politicians, so they suck as you can imagine), said you're supposed to eat them in the morning mashed up in a bowel with milk- that's the traditional Taichung way of eating them.
Which is loving disgusting.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I literally never heard of any kind of special way that you are suppose to eat taiyongbin.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Barto posted:

My ex-girlfriend, whose family invented them 4 generations ago (they used to be power players in the local politics too, granddad was the guy who got all the red envelopes from politicians, so they suck as you can imagine), said you're supposed to eat them in the morning mashed up in a bowel with milk- that's the traditional Taichung way of eating them.
Which is loving disgusting.

Sounds... lovely.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K656riY8c98

Tetsuo, it seems some people agree with your desires.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was at my local Chinese joint and noticed the big PRC wall map with Taiwan as a province and was wondering, how do Taiwanese maps show the mainland? Is it depicted as a different country or what? South Korean maps sometimes have both Koreas, sometimes just have the south without any acknowledgement there is a north, or just have an undivided Korea. Which is extra fun if the map has details, and for some mysterious reason the northern half of the peninsula has no cities or rail lines or anything marked on it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

I was at my local Chinese joint and noticed the big PRC wall map with Taiwan as a province and was wondering, how do Taiwanese maps show the mainland? Is it depicted as a different country or what? South Korean maps sometimes have both Koreas, sometimes just have the south without any acknowledgement there is a north, or just have an undivided Korea. Which is extra fun if the map has details, and for some mysterious reason the northern half of the peninsula has no cities or rail lines or anything marked on it.

If you're going to dream, dream big.

EDIT: Fun recent story from my school. I work at an international school in the PRC and a good deal of my students are from Taiwan. They were asked to write an essay in a class about how they felt about "My Country of ___________" and a kid did one on Taiwan. The administration was livid and we had to get a lecture on the three T's (Taiwan, Tibet, and Tiananmen).

All maps these days of China show Taiwan as a province and don't even hint at its actual status, which will get people screaming at you half the time. I do have a map from the 60's though that has Taiwan white instead of red and says, "We will certainly take back Taiwan" on it in Chinese.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 30, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Most of the time if they want to show a map of Taiwan they just show Taiwan though. There's a difference between showing a map of your country which is this huge blob and then including a little island that kinda-sorta-isn't-yours on the side, and showing a map of the tiny island which your country administers and then tacking on this huge blob of continent that kinda-sorta-isn't-yours.

Occasionally you can see the phrase 台灣省 in Taiwan; for example old scooter license plates (I think that is being phased out though). I remember when I first saw that I asked my friend something along the lines of, "Ah yes, Taiwan Province, Republic of China... So what other provinces does the Republic of China have?" and he just :geno:

fake edit: The ROC also has a Fujian province though
http://www.fkpg.gov.tw/intro.php

hitension fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 30, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah a lot of maps here are just local and only show South Korea, but what about world maps? Is the crazy Qing border thing common?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Common? No, not in the least. I don't know about what kids learn at school, but as an adult I haven't seen really any maps like that outside of stores that sell a bunch of maps. Technically the ROC lays claim to all that, but practically speaking, you'll never even see a map like that.

Also the 台灣省 thing relates to the old Taiwan Provincial Government I think, and that was all but scrapped coming on 20 years ago. IIRC James Soong was the last provincial governor.

fe: Looking at Wikipedia, apparently the license plates thing is pre-2007 ones.

actual e: I don't know about world maps, I've never actually looked. I'll have to see what I see.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to interrupt map chat. I'm definitely going to get a Taiwan map of China when I'm here.

Well just beware that there's a major heavy rain storm coming to Taiwan from the mainland. Parts of hk got flooded crazy ( but our infrastructure is still ok for now unlike the other bad China)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I cannot stop laughing at this picture, it gets funnier every time I look at it.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I cannot stop laughing at this picture, it gets funnier every time I look at it.

The signs are the best part!
Left: Seizing the legislative yuan- the behavior of jackals and wolves!
Right: Little wolves throw tantrums in the legislative yuan- the big wolves support them in the background!

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Call me a radical thinker, but I'm not sure the best way to discredit someone is to dress in a cuddly wolf costume yourself...

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K656riY8c98

Tetsuo, it seems some people agree with your desires.
Lucifer Chu (yes that is in fact his English name) is loving great. He's the guy that translated Lord of the Rings into Chinese, having taught himself English with RPGs and video game walkthroughs, is a big youth advocate, and apparently spent most of the money from LOTR and The Hobbit on open education (including translating a bunch of MIT OpenCourseWare stuff in Chinese) and youth innovation projects.

Also this is exactly the level of respect Chiu Yi deserves.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

caberham posted:

Well just beware that there's a major heavy rain storm coming to Taiwan from the mainland. Parts of hk got flooded crazy ( but our infrastructure is still ok for now unlike the other bad China)

Why didn't you stop it?!?!

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Quadcopter view of the protest on Sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQh98YbH1ys

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Lucifer Chu (yes that is in fact his English name) is loving great. He's the guy that translated Lord of the Rings into Chinese, having taught himself English with RPGs and video game walkthroughs, is a big youth advocate, and apparently spent most of the money from LOTR and The Hobbit on open education (including translating a bunch of MIT OpenCourseWare stuff in Chinese) and youth innovation projects.

Also this is exactly the level of respect Chiu Yi deserves.

Wow, that dude is 100% badass!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLllhkuK7mM

My Taiwan aboriginal friend sent me this video. His dad was a KMT military officer (and also an aborigine, albeit a Chinese one), and he is pretty blah about the whole Sunflower Movement. The guy in the video is the "leader" of the Sunflower movement I guess. I don't know, I don't really care about this enough to follow it closely, but I have seen him on television quite a bit. Anyway, the movement is supposed to be beyond or outside the traditional KMT/DPP polemic, right? Well, this video shows the Sunflower's leader giving a speech at a Taiwanese Independence function of some sort.

Any of you people who are following this closely know more about this fellow? It seems like a pretty big deal if this unpartisan/bipartisan for-the-good-of-all-of-Taiwan movement is being fronted by a student activist with DPP connections. It would honestly fly in the face of most of the stuff I've read about the origins of this movement and its goals and all kinds of stuff.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

For someone who "doesn't care enough" to follow a major event, you certainly seem to have a position on it.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 1, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Can someone verify if a police died as a result of this?

By verify, I mean did he have a heart attack on the way, or did a situation get out of hand?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I can't imagine why someone who would oppose a trade pact with China would also be interested in Taiwanese independence. You can probably just go back to not following this issue.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

Can someone verify if a police died as a result of this?

By verify, I mean did he have a heart attack on the way, or did a situation get out of hand?
Last I heard he was in A&E and possibly comatose, I don't remember for sure. What I do remember is that the biggest suspects were overwork and heat stroke.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

I can't imagine why someone who would oppose a trade pact with China would also be interested in Taiwanese independence. You can probably just go back to not following this issue.

I'm under the impression that the PRC reserved the right to 'reclaim by force' in 2005.

There's been an election since then.

I honestly have spoken to a single person that doesn't believe that independence isn't a foregone conclusion. Not in almost 10 years.

The US's slow boat to China in '97 established this.

Then again, I seem to be tachy'd in Coventry.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Fukn phone posting...

e: yeah it really didn't seem as if there was a great deal of violence.

A friend was saying that the water canons were actually the lowest spec too.

Small mercies I guess.

url fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 1, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

url fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 1, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

I'm under the impression that the PRC reserved the right to 'reclaim by force' in 2005.
The PRC continues to reserve the right to "reclaim" Taiwan by force in 2014.

quote:

There's been an election since then.
Yes, and?

quote:

I honestly have spoken to a single person that doesn't believe that independence isn't a foregone conclusion. Not in almost 10 years.
Most of the people I've talked to about it - not a huge number, admittedly, because politics is fuckin' poisonous - have been of one of two related positions:

1) Nothing will happen. Basically ever. Taiwan won't declare independence, China won't invade.
2) Who gives a poo poo? Taiwan's practically independent anyway, no need to gently caress up a good thing by provoking Godzilla over there.

So yeah, I guess in the battle of the anecdotes we both lose.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Alright, I'll play your game you rogue.

Lol, I wasn't going spastic, just couldn't get a post confirmed thing.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I need a proper kb to reply.

I wholly agree, it's poisonous stuff, but, a measured approach is viable. I normally avoid it like the plague, histrionics, hysteria, melodrama, etc are always close. See also: religion, money.

Anyways, I'll post from home.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
http://taipei.craigslist.com.tw/wri/4400695941.html

Should I ask for my old job back, but, part time??

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

url posted:

http://taipei.craigslist.com.tw/wri/4400695941.html

Should I ask for my old job back, but, part time??

Oh wow, they’re actually hiring a replacement? That’s pretty great, I figured they’d just leave us short-staffed.

For anyone interested in applying, I recommend it, but there are definitely pros and cons.

Pros:

-- If you are interested in current events it’s a fascinating place to work. Want to know the latest on a situation? Go bug the wire desk and see what The Associated Press has just put out. Want to know what’s going on down at the Legislature? Ask our political reporter after she gets back from getting all up in lawmaker’s faces.

-- Not English teaching, if you are looking to start getting out of that game.

-- Part time so you aren’t at this crappy old office all evening.

-- Hang out with me (may actually be a con?)

Cons:

-- Management does not care about you.

-- Hours: you will be working until midnight, later if students are storming buildings or Russia is invading somewhere.

-- Everything must be in American English so if you are one of those dirty commonwealth folks with your superfluous “u’s” and “grammes” that might get annoying.

-- Rush rush rush. If you are a perfectionist this is not the place for you because there are so many stories that need to be done every day. Usually we get about 10 to 15 minutes to edit a local reporter’s work (averages 300 - 500 words and may be utter poo poo) and if you spend longer other stuff will get backed up.

That’s all I can think about at the moment but hit me up with a PM if you have any specific questions! (Looking forward to seeing url’s resume)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

(Looking forward to seeing url’s resume)

Lol, s'not gonna happen.

http://tw.linkedin.com/in/paulniland

fwiw: I'm in the process of loving about with my template for the positions I'm looking at.

url fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Spanish Matlock posted:

Again, the little bit I read about this student movement was that it was NOT about Taiwan independence and focused on an issue, ie., lack of transparency and not following dem rules. Not against the trade agreement so much as the way it was illegally rushed through the government. Also not partisan. Looks like that's not the case / no longer the case if the de facto student leader is a DPP political science grad student and weenie politician in training. Business as usual in Taiwan.

But again, I don't really care. My friend was in a fit after sending me that video, and I'd love to know if the student leader is a political shill or not.

Not sure why I thought anyone here would know. Well, maybe Moonslayer might.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Again, the little bit I read about this student movement was that it was NOT about Taiwan independence and focused on an issue, ie., lack of transparency and not following dem rules. Not against the trade agreement so much as the way it was illegally rushed through the government. Also not partisan. Looks like that's not the case / no longer the case if the de facto student leader is a DPP political science grad student and weenie politician in training. Business as usual in Taiwan.

But again, I don't really care. My friend was in a fit after sending me that video, and I'd love to know if the student leader is a political shill or not.

It's not about parties, it's about personalities (on the political level, specifically Wang Jyn-ping pissing in Ma's cheerios)
And everyone wants to be an independent country (aside from a few oddballs), it's just how much they want to press the issue that's the question. Especially for the younger generation that's in the legislature right now, they're the ones who really grew up with all the KMT and Chiang Kai-shek propaganda removed from their textbooks, so they're almost pro-Taiwanese independence by default- the only the question is whether that should be made into a legal fact rather than just being a defacto situation.

So this video isn't surprising or relevant. Your friend is the 9%, lol.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Okies, I'm posting later than I wanted, but, if I know you at all, you won't jump down my throat (it's an ugly and likely cancerous throat).

TetsuoTW posted:

The PRC continues to reserve the right to "reclaim" Taiwan by force in 2014.

Xi literally in the past few months re-iterated that that the 'solution' 'must be found' 'within a generation'.
There are three things of note in the statement - resolution of all issues, no-negotaition beyond this agreement, and a time-frame.

I'm quite sure that the implication is - you do not negotiate beyond this.

If we remember collectively, we are still at a state of war? or conflict? or some other state which is basically unhappy.

As such, his offer suggests Taiwan offers terms of surrender, nothing less.

I'd say the KMT loses it's angle on one-china in that statement. I'd wager that Taiwan negotiates the fact in the next bit, but I have no idea what a generation means in terms of number, however, I think it means sooner-rather-than-later.

I suspect he means that the 2014 (I thought 2015, but whatever) thing was ambitious, and possibly a bit indelicate to the actual situation on the ground.
Things like this past week-or-so would seem to suggest that he's not wrong in his estimation.

It is tricky, and there is around 40-odd percent of people who do fancy the independence thing.
Personally, that 40~% hold a naive position - I'm not gonna expound on the whys and wherefores, but, needless to say, I do have a number (in the hundreds of billions, before logistical and so-on and so forth) of reasons to hold the position I do.

I have zero reason to think the PRC is going to concede a single inch. As in, I can't think of a single reason why they would concede a boundary as important to them as Taiwan represents.

I'm not sure that your position that 'nothing will happen' holds water. I'd love to know how and why you hold that position, but I doubt we'll find common ground. For my part, I can't see that a Cuba situation (I forget the year that A-Bien said Taiwan could hold a nuclear weapon - implying against China) would ever be allowed. For me, I'm able to reduce all situations down to that, and then I look at America's response, and I understand China's position.

Basically, Taiwan falls prey to China's NIMBY.

It's a shame, but it's also, a reality; and utterly inexcusable from PRC's perspective.

Well, the whole will of the people thing keeps coming to the fore. The election thing kinda holds the position of being 'the' fundament to the expression of the will of the people. I hold this true to the point of fact that if we don't hold to the election results, I question the purpose of an election. Obviously this is semantics - but, where typically protesters point to the delicate nature of democracy, I typically default to questioning the position of both parties involved. I'll happily defend a 'statist' position if I think the state has a legitimate right to hold it their position(no matter ho heinous) - see my Tienanmen position. This does not preclude ,y holding a protester position, I personally do not suggest the Iraq invasion held legitimacy.)
It's lovely, but, the approach often cuts me closer to the fact of what is in hand.

In this case, we can clearly draw that the protesters had little issue with free-trade with various other countries.
As such, democracy wasn't questioned then; only when it came to China. This, I take issue with.

Now, while I hold that to be my principle position, I'm not averse to the point you raised: where an issue raises the populace to move, that issue is of significance such that it warrants further inspection.
i.e. it looks like it's actually democracy in action.

The fact that it's democracy in action further undermines the argument that 'democracy is dead' etc etc.

That hypocrisy, bugs the poo poo out of me!

However, to follow this (i.e. mine and your point) I suggest that this current scenario is the wholesale result of a flaw in proceedings. I lay the flaw in proceedings to a single entity. I personally, hold that the DPP is an unmitigated failure in opposition; to the extent that a 2 year period of opportunity has passed, and they have 'utterly and without question' failed to call to account the KMT on this singular, seemingly important, issue. This is, to the best of my knowledge, not the role of the opposition.
i.e. their job is to maintain governance whilst raising issue; not the theft of microphones.

TetsuoTW posted:

Most of the people I've talked to about it - not a huge number, admittedly, because politics is fuckin' poisonous - have been of one of two related positions:

1) Nothing will happen. Basically ever. Taiwan won't declare independence, China won't invade.
2) Who gives a poo poo? Taiwan's practically independent anyway, no need to gently caress up a good thing by provoking Godzilla over there.

Partly answered above, but, I would argue to the tune of 10,000 words to a PhD(80K~) to the opposite of both positions.
Time will tell anyways, so why waste words. :)

TetsuoTW posted:

So yeah, I guess in the battle of the anecdotes we both lose.

It wasn't your posts that upset me, but, I concur.
I do value your opinion nevertheless, anecdote or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Your friend was angry about some bullshit he saw on Taiwanese foxnews. Is he suggesting that protesters are not allowed to hold political views? Is this a secret conspiracy of some sort? Ask him about the chem trails and Agenda 21 perhaps.