Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alien Arcana posted:

I don't think this is a fake Zaraki.

The way I'm reading the "why didn't we sense him before" bit is to imply that he's learned to control his reiatsu better. And the end sequence seems to imply that Kenpachi is so frightening that even Captain Imagination is having a hard time envisioning his defeat - he can't even start to picture himself cutting Zaraki, and even drowning him is so hard to believe that he doesn't have any concentration left over to keep Yachiru out of the picture.

It was implied to me that Zaraki was freed by Yachiru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Looks like she is on Kenpachi and not held by him. What Alien Arcana said is dead on.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alien Arcana posted:

I don't think this is a fake Zaraki.

The way I'm reading the "why didn't we sense him before" bit is to imply that he's learned to control his reiatsu better. And the end sequence seems to imply that Kenpachi is so frightening that even Captain Imagination is having a hard time envisioning his defeat - he can't even start to picture himself cutting Zaraki, and even drowning him is so hard to believe that he doesn't have any concentration left over to keep Yachiru out of the picture.

Yeah I think this is basically it. Also it seems to rely on the subject's imagination as well based on what he said to Yachiru when her bones were cookies so this is another case of The Worst Matchup because all Kenpachi even thinks about is cutting things so there's not much room to participate. He may get shocked once in a while but he reverts to his basic state of "swing sword at guy".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ooooooohhh NOW I get how Gremmy's power works! :doh:

It took me until the last panel of this new chapter to figure it out, but Gremmy's imagination powers only stay in effect as long as he's thinking about the thing he wants to change. Meaning that if he forgets about it even for a second, the thing goes back to normal.

So he really DID kill Kensei and Rose... but he probably forgot about them as soon as Kenpachi showed up, so they might be alive again now.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I like how the Quincy are using their arrows. Those sure are some arrows they're using, guys.

EXPLAIN THE ARROWS KUBO.

EAT THE ARROWS KUBO.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well you see arrows can also point at things, they aren't just a weapon. I'm not sure how that helps any. This kid is shooting at parts of your brain with magic arrows that make you trip balls he's just a puppet master and Kenpachi is immune to his psychedelics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wonder if Zaraki's funky reiatsu-not-appearing thing has something to do with the explanation that Narita Ryougo gave it in the light novel, where Zaraki's actual reiatsu is on the level of Mugetsu Ichigo and Pepsizen and so can't be felt by normal shinigami, and he constantly keeps it throttled so that his opponents will know where he is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Backweb posted:

I like how the Quincy are using their arrows. Those sure are some arrows they're using, guys.

EXPLAIN THE ARROWS KUBO.

EAT THE ARROWS KUBO.

This is newage Quincy. Ishida only uses that traditional poo poo.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Backweb posted:

EXPLAIN THE ARROWS KUBO.

EAT THE ARROWS KUBO.

Pretty sure that this point Uryu's grandpa was just a hipster/crazy as far as quincy go.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Bacontotem posted:

Pretty sure that this point Uryu's grandpa was just a hipster/crazy as far as quincy go.

Ugly tie, ugly hair, glasses, smokes, "Keeps traditions"

The father's a hipster all right
(Why did my search for him immediately pick up a fan image of him and Isshin shirtless, smoking in a car :gonk:)

As for why they aren't using arrows...They totally explained it you guys. You just weren't paying attention

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Maybe the sternreitter are all Bach's arrows. Or something equally preposterous?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Didn't Bed Aizen use a bow-like reiatsu blaster or something? I like how Kubo can't even give the excuse that

Kild posted:

This is newage Quincy. Ishida only uses that traditional poo poo.

because he was obviously trying to incorporate bows in original ways when the arc started and two enemies in he just said "gently caress it" and now we have loving Pro Wrestler Quincy.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Advice posted:

Didn't Bed Aizen use a bow-like reiatsu blaster or something? I like how Kubo can't even give the excuse that

because he was obviously trying to incorporate bows in original ways when the arc started and two enemies in he just said "gently caress it" and now we have loving Pro Wrestler Quincy.

To be fair, this was a good call in my opinion. Mainly because Mask de Masculine was the best.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Imagination Man's going to get out-imagined by the most fearsome type of visionary of all, a little girl.

This is definitely happening.

KittyEmpress posted:

It turns out that Kenpachi was always her zanpakuto. She has a permanent release. Kenpachi is just a really realistic imaginary friend her sword makes. :v:

I think there is a real Kenpachi, but this one currently fighting is imagined.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Backweb posted:

EXPLAIN THE ARROWS KUBO.

EAT THE ARROWS KUBO.

Cookies. The arrows are cookies and everything is cookies.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Is it possible Zaraki just used Shunpo to cover the distance? I mean, as soon as he finished his time with Unohana and just used his improved strength to do some nutso movement that only gave people a chance to notice his reiatsu until a minute or so after he actually passed them? I'm actually forgetting if Kenpachi's increased power would allow something like that or not. I just think of him instantly arriving there the moment he was done with Unohana.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Syrant posted:

Is it possible Zaraki just used Shunpo to cover the distance? I mean, as soon as he finished his time with Unohana and just used his improved strength to do some nutso movement that only gave people a chance to notice his reiatsu until a minute or so after he actually passed them? I'm actually forgetting if Kenpachi's increased power would allow something like that or not. I just think of him instantly arriving there the moment he was done with Unohana.

I thought Kenpachi didn't know how to do shunpo and was just freakishly fast?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I thought Kenpachi didn't know how to do shunpo and was just freakishly fast?

Kenpachi doesn't actually move ever. His reiatsu pulls the rest of the universe towards him.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bacontotem posted:

Kenpachi doesn't actually move ever. His reiatsu pulls the rest of the universe towards him.

So like Planet Express.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

I think there is a real Kenpachi, but this one currently fighting is imagined.
I think it's real simply because the whole imaginary angle is just too sweet. :(

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Advice posted:

He was an Arrancar, actually.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I wonder if Zaraki's funky reiatsu-not-appearing thing has something to do with the explanation that Narita Ryougo gave it in the light novel, where Zaraki's actual reiatsu is on the level of Mugetsu Ichigo and Pepsizen and so can't be felt by normal shinigami, and he constantly keeps it throttled so that his opponents will know where he is.

I could see that being the case, given how Unohana said Kidpachi was far more powerful than her, and has always been unconsciously holding back so he wouldn't be since he had such a great time fighting her. Since the whole purpose of Unohana's training was to get him to stop doing that it'd make sense if he's returned to that state.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I don't see how defeating Unohana suddenly unlocks all these powers he bother to learn before (assumed).

The only actual "unlocks" are he now knows his swords name, which minimally opens shikai and possibly one ability, and he gained the Kenpachi name which is basically confidence +20.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

hagie posted:

I don't see how defeating Unohana suddenly unlocks all these powers he bother to learn before (assumed).

The only actual "unlocks" are he now knows his swords name, which minimally opens shikai and possibly one ability, and he gained the Kenpachi name which is basically confidence +20.

It's not that she wants to teach him anything.
She wanted him to stop throttling himself. He's a jet engine running at 5% because the cessna cant keep up. It seems that the psychological hold he had on himself prevented him from learning his swords name.

I still stand by the notion that this isnt Kenpachi because otherwise he would just flatten everything with reiatsu.
Cant wait to see him want to kill as opposed to enjoy a fight.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's not that she wants to teach him anything.
She wanted him to stop throttling himself. He's a jet engine running at 5% because the cessna cant keep up. It seems that the psychological hold he had on himself prevented him from learning his swords name.

I was under the impression he never learned his sword's name because he could cut just fine without it. I didn't think it was because his throttled power state prevented him from hearing his sword, he just never tried.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Squallege posted:

Cookies. The arrows are cookies and everything is cookies.

Spirit particles are cookies, it all makes sense now!

Bleach Manga Thread 15: It's cookies all the way down.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Shoren posted:

I was under the impression he never learned his sword's name because he could cut just fine without it. I didn't think it was because his throttled power state prevented him from hearing his sword, he just never tried.

He did try. Reread after Ichigo beat him the first time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

|Ziggy| posted:

I always found that odd how before he went Mugetsu (or whatever) against Butterfl-Aizen, Ichigo was theoretically at his strongest fighting Kenpachi in Soul Society.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

|Ziggy| posted:

He wept because of it.

I reread a portion and came across the subtle Zangetsu Blut Vene reference. "My ability to keep your wound from bleeding is at it's limit!"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AlternateNu posted:

I always found that odd how before he went Mugetsu (or whatever) against Butterfl-Aizen, Ichigo was theoretically at his strongest fighting Kenpachi in Soul Society.

I don't know you get that he was at his strongest then. Kenpachi is supposed to be monster strong, but we've no idea if he was stronger than Ichigo's hollow (which is what gave him the power to win in that fight). The same hollow that easily kicked the poo poo out of Byakuya and that, when fully unchained, also destroyed whatever Ulquiorra's final released form was.

I still don't think we've seen something that's been able to stop that power alone. Aizen might have, but we didn't get to see that as Ichigo merged with everything inside himself to beat him. That presumably included the hollow, the shinigami and the quincy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kin posted:

I don't know you get that he was at his strongest then. Kenpachi is supposed to be monster strong, but we've no idea if he was stronger than Ichigo's hollow (which is what gave him the power to win in that fight). The same hollow that easily kicked the poo poo out of Byakuya and that, when fully unchained, also destroyed whatever Ulquiorra's final released form was.

I still don't think we've seen something that's been able to stop that power alone. Aizen might have, but we didn't get to see that as Ichigo merged with everything inside himself to beat him. That presumably included the hollow, the shinigami and the quincy.

IIRC, the hollow and shinigami are one and the same for Ichigo.

Also, rereading the chapters where Unohana and Kenpachi fight it out, Unohana tells Kenpachi that he can build a relationship with his partner now that he's released the psychological limiters on his power, which I'm assuming is his zanpakuto.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Didn't Ken lose that fight because he was literally at his absolute weakest? He started to ease up on his subconscious restrictions after he lost for basically the first time.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Scyantific posted:

IIRC, the hollow and shinigami are one and the same for Ichigo.

This doesn't really make sense.

Shugojin posted:

Didn't Ken lose that fight because he was literally at his absolute weakest? He started to ease up on his subconscious restrictions after he lost for basically the first time.

Yeah, this is my understanding of that fight. And he was still a monster!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Bleach Manga Thread 14: This doesn't really make sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The_Frag_Man posted:

You know how Renji's zanpaktou spirit manifests as a monkey with a snake for a tail, right? For most of the series everyone believed that sunglasses dude was the spirit of zangetsu and the representation of Ichigo's shinigami power the same way, and the white ichigo that kept showing up was a representation of his inner hollow. Thing is, that's not true - the white Ichigo was really his shinigami powers all along, he never had an "inner hollow" because the hollow part is literally part of his soul, not a separate thing. Sunglasses is a manifestation of his inherited Quincy powers, which has a will of its own and actively suppressed his shinigami power by pretending to be Zangetsu.

I'm pretty sure that when Ichigo said "you're both Zangetsu" he meant it more that he was accepting what his power was and was sort of fusing both ancestries together, not that they were both literally separate sword spirits named Zangetsu. It also means that the weird "Hollow taking over" poo poo that's happened to him has less to do with Vaizards and more to do with Ichigo's shinigami powers literally involving turning himself into a Hollow hybrid, which has been suppressed for most of the series.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 27, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shugojin posted:

Without his eye patch?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It will be funny if Imagination Lad is fighting a figment of his own power, then the real Kenpachi shows up an one-shots him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Without his eye patch?

As in it fits in with this more recent retconny thing Unohana said as she was killing/ressing him over and over. He got stronger after that fight because he was a little less afraid of the idea of there never being anyone able to have an exciting fight.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Say Nothing posted:

It will be funny if Imagination Lad is fighting a figment of his own power, then the real Kenpachi shows up an one-shots him.

First thing Zaraki will do is cut down the imaginary version of himself, and say: "This is as strong as you could imagine me being? loving pathetic." Then he will will one-shot Gremmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlternateNu posted:

Without his eye patch?

Essentially the eye-patch was just one of his power-limiters. Subconsciously he's been holding the bulk of it back this entire time. Likewise, he instinctively unlocks more everytime he comes close to death.

So naturally, Unohana kept killing and reviving him until he'd awakened it all.

• Locked thread