Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I know some goons post and play on the desura forums as well. What is the level of competition between goons and the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bouquet posted:

Posting to verify I am a real goon for brainwrinkle.

Some folks are contemplating doing a co-op game vs. AI. Any suggestions about how to make that more interesting in some way?
Sombre's AI Recruitment mod, which stops them buying mountains of indie crap rather than national troops.

Topic about it is located here. As he says, it isn't a true no-indies mod, you can still buy things at normal price, just the AI won't. The default settings turn off basically all AI recruitment, there are a few site-based indies that've been "missed out", but it's fairly airtight.

On GOONS VS THE WORLD, eh. Many of the longer-term players are, or at least have been, active in a few places, it isn't very insular.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 26, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A_Raving_Loon posted:

a moderate barrier to entry.

So optimistic :unsmith:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Penguingo posted:

Hey I would encourage people not to be intimidated out of buying the game. All the crazy high level strategies that get discussed seem insanely complicated but a lot of players are just flailing around and you can still play and have fun without being in the top 1 percentile.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ClothHat posted:

Hey I would encourage people not to be intimidated out of buying the game. All the crazy high level strategies that get discussed seem insanely complicated but a lot of players are just flailing around and you can still play and have fun without being in the top 1 percentile.

I agree with this wholeheartedly as a noob who just started playing recently. If you just join a noobie game you'll easily be able to integrate things at a comfortable pace. The beginning of any game isn't really more complicated than "raise troops ----> attack things", and as the game goes on and more stuff becomes available and magic gets more developed you'll slowly get more and more advanced. It's not like you have to deal with crazy mage scripting and advanced troop formations on turn 1 because on turn 1 your mages can't do anything more impressive than make an enemy feel a bit sleepy and everyone's troops will just be in a big ball that runs towards the enemy. Advanced tactics are something that you slowly integrate over time and that makes them much easier to a handle on.

I encourage anyone who has been thinking about Dominions for a while to take the plunge. I did recently and was surprised at how easy it really was in the end. Sure there will be a lot of information to process in the beginning and the interface isn't the greatest, but I think the Dominions community overplays how ~crazy~ the game is because they're nerds. It isn't that bad and goons have a lot of resources available to making it easy to get into.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 26, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I literally played this game for years just enjoying it SP, back when it was harder to get into (Dom 3 had mechanics which were a pain to manage like taxation and reverse communions, the interface was much worse, and there were multiple, competing well-entrenched mods by the time I purchased it).

Dom 4 is relatively new and at the moment most people are playing pretty much vanilla.

S'cool.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly as a noob who just started playing recently. If you just join a noobie game you'll easily be able to integrate things at a comfortable pace. The beginning of any game isn't really more complicated than "raise troops ----> attack things", and as the game goes on and more stuff becomes available and magic gets more developed you'll slowly get more and more advanced. It's not like you have to deal with crazy mage scripting and advanced troop formations on turn 1 because on turn 1 your mages can't do anything more impressive than make an enemy feel a bit sleepy and everyone's troops will just be in a big ball that runs towards the enemy. Advanced tactics are something that you slowly integrate over time and that makes them much easier to a handle on.

I encourage anyone who has been thinking about Dominions for a while to take the plunge. I did recently and was surprised at how easy it really was in the end. Sure there will be a lot of information to process in the beginning and the interface isn't the greatest, but I think the Dominions community overplays how ~crazy~ the game is because they're nerds. It isn't that bad and goons have a lot of resources available to making it easy to get into.

I'd like to add that the amount of time this game takes up is not extreme either. While you do need to be free enough to play daily, it's only something like a 5-15 minute commitment unless it's extreme late game or you're in a ton of games at once. You really don't need to spend hours scripting or on IRC to play. I would highly recommend this to anyone on the fence, while winning is extremely difficult, even small victories are extremely satisfying in this game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

As a newbie, if you don't pick a nation with air magic you might as well just shoot yourself in the head with an armor piercing bullet.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why air? Air's pretty simple imho, as long as you have someone to cast storm or perpetual storm. Just use false fetters/lightning bolt to start off and then transition into thunderstrike/wrathful skies. False horror and phantasmal army as well. The hardest part is getting air boosters as, they're the hardest to get of all the elements.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He says that you should pick air as a newbie, probably because of the ease of use that you wrote about.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

As a newbie, if you don't pick a nation with air magic you might as well just shoot yourself in the head with an armor piercing bullet.
Kinda disagree. Pretty compelling reasons to take any path, not like any of them is super tricky to use. Even Blood's fine, if a bit indirect and annoying to manage.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Penguingo posted:

I Dwarf Fortress. This game has a GUI, AND a manual. It's practically falling off a bicycle.

The only thing I find myself missing a board high-level summary of each nation's natural pros and cons. Maybe a nice visualization of spells by school and path to glance at when deciding what to research.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you're a noob and specifically playing in a noob game then you can do whatever the gently caress you want. Anyone saying otherwise is sperging. In my noob game I've pushed my opponent all the way to his capital while barely using mages at all. I sent three mages to one our first fights and they all died in that battle. Since then I've gone on to win the war.

I think Dominions players have a tendency to turn everything into hyperbole and say that you MUST do this or that as if every game takes place on a perfectly symmetrical map with evenly distributed resources and every player using standard strategies on a predictable time frame. But there are so many unpredictable variables in every single game that nothing is sacred in the end. Everything should be expected to change.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I Dwarf Fortress. This game has a GUI, AND a manual. It's practically falling off a bicycle.

The only thing I find myself missing a board high-level summary of each nation's natural pros and cons.
Yeah, doesn't help that there is genuinely bad advice given by the in-game info screens, like Yomi having "bad research" (they don't, they have a very good 15rp mage you can get every turn in every cheap fort forever, and an 11rp one which is much cheaper, too).

If nothing else, I recommend setting up a game on Glory of the Gods or I guess a random map (GotG has very uneven terrain type distribution) where every nation is selected as Human and given 9 provinces, so you can get a pretty good picture of what every faction can get, including what you get outside of your forts.

Useful as a reference point that's 100% reliable and updates instantly with each patch.

quote:

Maybe a nice visualization of spells by school and path to glance at when deciding what to research.
What, like the SC2 upgrade trees?

Not a bad idea for Dominions 5 (heh).

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Chomp8645 posted:

If you're a noob and specifically playing in a noob game then you can do whatever the gently caress you want. Anyone saying otherwise is sperging. In my noob game I've pushed my opponent all the way to his capital while barely using mages at all. I sent three mages to one our first fights and they all died in that battle. Since then I've gone on to win the war.

I think Dominions players have a tendency to turn everything into hyperbole and say that you MUST do this or that as if every game takes place on a perfectly symmetrical map with evenly distributed resources and every player using standard strategies on a predictable time frame. But there are so many unpredictable variables in every single game that nothing is sacred in the end. Everything should be expected to change.
If I'm going to be the god of bizarro-China, you'd better believe my army runs on giant blocks of archers wrapped in an insulating layer of peasants with sharp sticks, while the odd necromancer or kung-fu master scrambles around spreading mayhem with their personal hit-squads.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

ClothHat posted:

I'd like to add that the amount of time this game takes up is not extreme either. While you do need to be free enough to play daily, it's only something like a 5-15 minute commitment unless it's extreme late game or you're in a ton of games at once. You really don't need to spend hours scripting or on IRC to play. I would highly recommend this to anyone on the fence, while winning is extremely difficult, even small victories are extremely satisfying in this game.

Something that I have found now that I am finally transitioning from my noob "I have no idea what I am doing" phase, and into a more "I actually did that on purpose phase," is that you actually do need to spend 30m scripting on your big magic heavy armies. The thing is, that you only really have to do it once, unless you take massive losses or unlock a new spell which invalidates everything you set up.

After losing my army that I had spent 30m scripting and re-building it, it took only a few minutes, because there was no decision making left, I just had to re-craft everything.

At first I was super worried about going into multiplayer games since I didn't feel like I was coming into the games with a coherent strategy that stretched from turn 1 to my eventual conquest of the world. But no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, and I have found that I have a much easier time of making informed decisions when they are in the context of "how do I best counter what he is using against me."

Dominions is a game of hugely numbered and varied approaches, and it is nigh impossible to make useful decisions about their interactions until you have experienced them. That being said, after joining a game but before it starts, you should absolutely load that nation up in single player and make sure that you have your early game expansion down against the indys. Also that your expansion plan gets you to your second fort before turn 16.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Are new people who just got the game interested in a noob game? I have a few friends who haven't played who I can probably rope into one, and if people are interested I'm fine with letting them join too

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

garth ferengi posted:

Are new people who just got the game interested in a noob game? I have a few friends who haven't played who I can probably rope into one, and if people are interested I'm fine with letting them join too

All of the recent noob games have filled up quickly (like within 24 hours). Demand is high. You'll almost certainly get people to join if put one up.

If you need to know how check the OP or come into the IRC (which is in the OP)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GamersGate has this even cheaper than the Steam sale for the next 7 hours or so, only $8.75. At that price I'm willing to take a risk on it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

A_Raving_Loon posted:

If I'm going to be the god of bizarro-China, you'd better believe my army runs on giant blocks of archers wrapped in an insulating layer of peasants with sharp sticks, while the odd necromancer or kung-fu master scrambles around spreading mayhem with their personal hit-squads.

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flute

Flute finished a long time ago and can be taken down

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Flavahbeast posted:

Flute

Flute finished a long time ago and can be taken down

Same for Dulcimer.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Do enemy provinces with your Dominion benefit from all of your positive scales, none of them, or only Growth? I just saw, for a first time, a Dom 3 reference that non-Growth positives scales not benefiting enemy provinces, but I had never heard anything like this about Dom 4...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Shachar posted:

Do enemy provinces with your Dominion benefit from all of your positive scales, none of them, or only Growth? I just saw, for a first time, a Dom 3 reference that non-Growth positives scales not benefiting enemy provinces, but I had never heard anything like this about Dom 4...
I believe you don't get the positive effects but do get positive event generation.

This is relatively easy to check by making a faction with no scales and another one with Some Scales, I've just never tested the effects side of it myself (I do know the event generation thing is 100% true).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Today's surprising Dominions 4 lessons from the Kiddie Pool:

That weird broken looking neighbour line that I thought was a bug because I couldn't cross it was actually a river crossing I just couldn't cross then, but would have been able to cross a turn ago when it actually mattered. Hello, defeat in detail!

Also, Power of the Spheres looks really useful but you don't want to cast it as an S1 unless you're in a communion (this actually hit mages on both sides, but I had scripted it on a lot more guys so I had much less magical backup than I was expecting because half of it was unconscious (especially since the Drain penalties to spellcasting fatigue cost still seem to apply to Magisters?).

Oh, well. Well played, Atlantis. :tipshat: Honestly that's probably the ballgame (especially with the way my mostly coastal territory helps you move a lot faster than me on the stratmap) but I'll try not to go AI just yet.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My Kiddie Pool lesson of the day is that any soldier can have the spirit of a hero within him, even a lowly PD archer.

I had a random Ronin attack event on one of my provinces, 33 Ronin lead by a Ronin commander. I saw in my messages that I won the battle and didn't think much of it until I noticed that the province in question only had 10 PD and no garrisoned troops, meaning I probably should have lost. I loaded up the battle to see the 33 Ronin arrayed against my poo poo PD force of exactly 5 archers and 20 crap militia. I then marveled as, in the first and only round of combat, my archers opened fire. Four arrows harmlessly missed their targets. But the fifth arrow was different, for it was fired by an archer with the blood of Kitfox proudly coursing through his veins. It soared majestically across the battlefield and found it's mark in the enemy commander (who was randomly located within the Ronin blob) and slew him with that single shot. Now lacking any commanders, the Ronin force immediately brooked a hasty retreat. That single arrow strike was the only blood of the entire battle.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 27, 2014

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yet another reason why Dominions is the best game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TOOT BOOT posted:

GamersGate has this even cheaper than the Steam sale for the next 7 hours or so, only $8.75. At that price I'm willing to take a risk on it.
:argh: And I just spent twice that on Steam, too.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
This just happened.
I am so angry right now.

I am doing poorly in this PBEM, and now I get beaten by 1 PD. Dat crossbowman.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

M_Bison posted:

This just happened.
I am so angry right now.

Chomp8645 posted:

My Kiddie Pool lesson of the day is that any soldier can have the spirit of a hero within him, even a lowly PD archer.

I had a random Ronin attack event on one of my provinces, 33 Ronin lead by a Ronin commander. I saw in my messages that I won the battle and didn't think much of it until I noticed that the province in question only had 10 PD and no garrisoned troops, meaning I probably should have lost. I loaded up the battle to see the 33 Ronin arrayed against my poo poo PD force of exactly 5 archers and 20 crap militia. I then marveled as, in the first and only round of combat, my archers opened fire. Four arrows harmlessly missed their targets. But the fifth arrow was different, for it was fired by an archer with the blood of Kitfox proudly coursing through his veins. It soared majestically across the battlefield and found it's mark in the enemy commander (who was randomly located within the Ronin blob) and slew him with that single shot. Now lacking any commanders, the Ronin force immediately brooked a hasty retreat. That single arrow strike was the only blood of the entire battle.

A CUTTING BLOW DEALT BY PD SUPREMACY

I had a 25pd province of fishmen smash a dedicated anti-pd thug because he got netted a few turns ago in Newblood. gently caress your vine shield god i hate vine shields :feelsgood:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Shachar posted:

I always just assumed that if a province has a specific scale, it gets the listed effect of that scale, period. I've heard that enemies get all the negative effects of a scale, but only get the positives if their dominion is present, but I have no idea where they're getting that info.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

M_Bison posted:

This just happened.
I am so angry right now.
Keep your priests away from your other guys!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Keep your priests away from your other guys!

Mictlan priests fuckin' love charging into battle for no reason.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I always just assumed that if a province has a specific scale, it gets the listed effect of that scale, period. I've heard that enemies get all the negative effects of a scale, but only get the positives if their dominion is present, but I have no idea where they're getting that info.
OK I've done some incredibly incisive testing (or 10 minutes' worth, anyway) and I'm pretty sure you get the effects of:

Growth (definitely this)
Luck in terms of event selection

You don't get the positive effects of:

Magic in terms of positive RP
Productivity
Order, I think?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flame112 posted:

Mictlan priests fuckin' love charging into battle for no reason.

That's because b1h1 doesn't have a whole lot of casting to do. Consider forging cheap ranged weapons for them or rigging up someone to cast divine channeling so they can spam sermon of courage.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

dis astranagant posted:

That's because b1h1 doesn't have a whole lot of casting to do. Consider forging cheap ranged weapons for them or rigging up someone to cast divine channeling so they can spam sermon of courage.

Or just give em a slave or three so they can cast bleed, then fatigue out.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

OKAY here's a game for super new people like myself, please don't join if you're already in either of the 2 noobish games I've created already

Indeterminate amount of maximum players because I have no idea how many new people there are. If it completely fills up that will be cool and also great, I guess if that happens I'll make another one!!!

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/136

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

M_Bison posted:

This just happened.
I am so angry right now.

For something even more ridiculous, see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SkxjVdao0

My vanherse got scared at the sight of his own blood and fled, despite his regeneration countering the bleed damage.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Blood is scary dude. Your own blood is especially scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Chomp8645 posted:

That happened to me a couple of times recently. I think I posted in this thread about my Tuatha catching a crossbow bolt and dying before my army could even more.

• Locked thread