Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

blackswordca posted:

I forwarded the client email to the general manager with a complaint about being thrown under the bus. Well see what happens but im putting my money on "nothing"

No, it won't be nothing. You see what you did there was entrapment again. Expect to be told as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
8 hours of debugging came in...

Two weeks ago some of our guys have been transfering a third party's SaaS that we bought to run 3 sites on an AWS instance that can only get 2 IP addresses but it needed three SSL sites. On installation we decided to just use 3 different ports to run the sites, and we decided on sequential ports starting on 443. At the time we also decided to just renew the SSL cert because it's about to run out.

Fast forward to yesterday when they install the cert and create an image of the server, and when the server comes back up after imaging the deployment share stops working.

Weiiiirddddd. There's absolutely nothing in the imaging process that should cause that, Event viewer shows a few Schannel errors without any useful information AT ALL, the errors that happen when using net use or explorer offer no help at all ("computer name does not exist" when using the IP address was one of the errors).

What's worse is that the affected computer would happily access an SMB share on a different computer.

Now, I am not a windows expert so this took me WAY longer to diagnose and fix, I spent a few hours on it before calling AWS, network captures showed nothing (the last packet is the affected computer simply TCP RSTing rudely after the other computer initializes an SMB handshake).

Keep in mind we drilled into every networking aspect, including netsh resetting the ip stack, disabling tcp offloading, checking adapter orders, checking lanman configurations on the registry, checking stored credentials on the maching, checked GPO. Eventually we gave up for the night and I promised the AWS guys we'd send them a copy of the machine after rebuilding the servers today (yeah yeah I should have deployment automated on salt, I've been busy, sue me).

Today while rebuilding the server one of the SSL sites didn't want to come up, the one assigned to port four hundred... and... fourty... five, suddenly everything loving clicked in my mind.

The experts amongst you probably knew what was wrong on my second sentence.

Jesus loving christ you'd think windows would complain a little louder that it couldn't reserve 0.0.0.0:445 for SMB. Not a goddamn useful peep on the event viewer or from any SMB client (you'd think they'd say "wtf that thing is not talking any SMB protocol I know" or anything other than "Name doesn't exist").

Much Macallan 12 for me tonight. (I don't deserve 18 for not checking ports on the IANA list)

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 26, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

deimos posted:

Two weeks ago some of our guys have been transfering a third party's SaaS that we bought to run 3 sites on an AWS instance that can only get 2 IP addresses but it needed three SSL sites. On installation we decided to just use 3 different ports to run the sites, and we decided on sequential ports starting on 443. At the time we also decided to just renew the SSL cert because it's about to run out.

Jesus loving christ you'd think windows would complain a little louder that it couldn't reserve 0.0.0.0:445 for SMB. Not a goddamn useful peep on the event viewer or from any SMB client (you'd think they'd say "wtf that thing is not talking any SMB protocol I know" or anything other than "Name doesn't exist").

I knew where this was going. Don't use ports under 1024 for things like this.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

evol262 posted:

I knew where this was going. Don't use ports under 1024 for things like this.

Yeah I usually don't, temporary lapse in judgement. :(

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
A ticket came in...

Email signature is not working for a client. Go through the basic troubleshooting, ask them to check if the signature is enabled in Outlook--it is. Then he asks me to check if any other tickets came in from anyone else, as he said he has not seen any signatures attached to emails for several days.

Lo and behold, there's one other ticket in there.

From the same user.

Sent in 15 minutes ago. :bravo:

So I close the ticket as a duplicate, and state that all inquires be made in the new ticket, which has the Exchange provider attached to it.

No more than 5 minutes later, I get a harshly-worded reply essentially saying "ISSUE NOT RESOLVED FIX THIS NOW!!!!!".

Can I be any more clear than "we don't support this, and you have another ticket open on this already in our system and with the vendor"? :cripes:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

I thought these people were fiction

Oatmeal Raisin loving rocks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
A post-migration ticket came in...

Company had been migrated to a new version of a web app we offer effective that morning, users are unable to login. After some investigation, I found that the Project Manager had created their accounts and sent their temporary login information in February. Almost none of the users still had or knew where to find their login info, and for those that could it was not working. This was because temporary passwords expire after 30 days and it was more than 30 days from account creation that the site went live.

We reset all their passwords, but about 10% of the users couldn't login with their new information. Come to find out that if the randomly generated temporary password contains a $ character, it will not be saved OR sent via e-mail correctly. This issue was encountered during testing and dismissed as user error, and no one ever noticed the passwords being saved and sent were obviously the wrong length.

I'm just ignoring the fact that our company's security practices are frozen in the year 2001 in addition to not actually working.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Thank them for contacting you and cordially suggest that they submit an email to the new ticket system in order for it to be tracked.

We did a phased approach. First it was, "in the future, please open a ticket." Then it was "Before I look at this, is there a reason you weren't able to open a ticket?" Only after a few months did we officially refuse to do work without a ticket. I was managing the UNIX sysadmin team at the time and the reaction was interesting - some of the guys were sick of some of the problem children in our organization and were delighted to have any excuse to tell them off, while others hated the idea that the couldn't fix problems that people brought to their attention. I had to make it very clear that anyone caught even touching a server without either a trouble ticket or a change ticket would be on my poo poo list, and I contacted the management for some of the worse offenders to make sure they understood that the entire IT organization had switched to using the ticket system, and that if their staff did not follow suit, their staff would be blamed for the delay in resolving the problem, because my clock did not start until the ticket was assigned to my team.

I acted sad about it but honestly, I love cracking down on people who can't follow simple instructions.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Roargasm posted:

I would continue to take emails and IMs and have the IT staff log those calls themselves honestly :shrug:

As someone who used to do IT for a larger public high school, I absolutely refused to create my own tickets. If you can't be arsed to take the extra 60 seconds to pull up a website and log a ticket, I'm not going to do it for you.

This mindset may have been affected by a lot of "I'm too busy to properly describe or reproduce my problem, just fix it" calls.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Before we merged with another organization we had a 'helpdesk' line that any of our techs could answer and just kind of took jobs round-robin style.

After merging we started directing everyone to a centralized helpdesk. It's been a year and a half since anyone has answered that line and we STILL get people calling it probably once a day.

I like to imagine there's some guy who has been calling once a week and thinks he just gets unlucky every time and is still holding out hope that eventually he'll get through.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Priss In Plate posted:

A ticket came in...

Email signature is not working for a client. Go through the basic troubleshooting, ask them to check if the signature is enabled in Outlook--it is. Then he asks me to check if any other tickets came in from anyone else, as he said he has not seen any signatures attached to emails for several days.

Lo and behold, there's one other ticket in there.

From the same user.

Sent in 15 minutes ago. :bravo:

So I close the ticket as a duplicate, and state that all inquires be made in the new ticket, which has the Exchange provider attached to it.

No more than 5 minutes later, I get a harshly-worded reply essentially saying "ISSUE NOT RESOLVED FIX THIS NOW!!!!!".

Can I be any more clear than "we don't support this, and you have another ticket open on this already in our system and with the vendor"? :cripes:

Can you not link or merge tickets?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Before we merged with another organization we had a 'helpdesk' line that any of our techs could answer and just kind of took jobs round-robin style.

After merging we started directing everyone to a centralized helpdesk. It's been a year and a half since anyone has answered that line and we STILL get people calling it probably once a day.

I like to imagine there's some guy who has been calling once a week and thinks he just gets unlucky every time and is still holding out hope that eventually he'll get through.

We currently do our ticketing 95% through the phone and 5% through email and it works pretty well. Most of the time, issues can be immediately resolved over the phone so it seems pointless to have someone submit a ticket and then track them down to resolve what could have been a 2 minute fix.

We are consultants for a smaller part (1200 users) of a very large (120k user objects in AD) org and the reason we get kept on is that we attempt to have every issue that isn't a project resolved within 6 business hours. If someone in one of the buildings next door submits a ticket for something simple like getting a piece of software installed that has a legitimate business need, they often have to wait days.

I understand that our situation might be a bit different than most. We have 2 helpdesk dudes, two application/server guys, a DBA/developer, a helpdesk manager/acquisition guy, and a director. It never really feels overwhelming with the support ratio to be honest.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We're a small shop, like 60-80 people in the entire company, majority in the office where I'm at. My boss was pushing them to do tickets since I started in November, and he sent out a nice reiterative email because our users seem to have taken "please submit a ticket" as "Please don't tell IT about anything until you're really frustrated by it"

quote:

Do's
1. To open a helpdesk ticket please email helpdesk@companyname.com. This alerts every member of the IT department of an issue. This also allows IT to prioritize all tickets by severity, track the tickets’ life and provides us with helpful report information.

2. When opening a ticket please put a brief description of the problem in the subject and describe the problem, including any error messages in the body of the email. Once sent, you will receive a response within 10 minutes letting you know that we received the ticket. Soma examples of a proper brief description are:
a.Cannot login to computer. Says account is locked.
b.My password to login to my computer has expired.
c. NJ_Sales 1 printer has a paper jam.
d.NJ_Sales2 needs toner.
e. I forgot my Email password.
f. I get an error message when accessing Program Name.(You should place the error message in the body of the email).

3. Members of the overnight shift or anyone working late should always email helpdesk@companyname.com before chatting/calling the On Call IT Staff. In the next week I will be sharing an IT calendar informing everyone who is on call from the IT department for any particular night/weekend.

Don'ts
1. Do not call/email Co-worker, MJP or myself directly with any issues. If we are unavailable or out of the office the on call IT staff will not know of the issue to help you.

2. Do not wait on an problem or assume the IT department knows of the issue. If something is not working, please email the helpdesk as soon as possible.

3. When emailing the helpdesk do no leave the subject blank, or use descriptions that do not explain the issue. e.g.:
a. Help
b. I need HELP
c. The printer is broken.(What printer?)
d. My Computer doesn't Work!(To Vague)

e. I cant login(What cant you login to?)

f. EMAIL

g. Help Me
h.I am getting an Error.(Where are you getting an error?).
i.Need toner.
j. MG

It's good carte blanche to fall back on. Of course, people come up to me and co-worker with stuff, or call us. It's good to be able to say "Okay, got the info - now what I need for you to do is submit a ticket more or less detailing what you just told me and we can get started on it" and then it goes through proper channels. Help Desk guy works the issue and escalates to me/checks with me as needed, I can immediately claim more critical stuff, we justify our existence, bada bing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So while I am talking with vendors to ensure we have enterprise monitoring purchased... a loving data store all of a sudden is showing over provisioned and fills up.

I stop everything to check on it and for some loving reason, the disk files are duplicated in the store. What could cause this you ask?

Backup-exec

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spent all morning trying to figure out why a client's DateTimes were getting the month and day transposed, guess where their servers are [not] hosted? gently caress you America, why you gotta do everything rear end backwards.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

dennyk posted:

Not entirely accurate; management has decided that they don't want to *pay* for 24x7 coverage. I'm sure it's still needed, though, which means you and the other remaining salaried exempt employees will be providing it (in addition to your normal daytime work, of course). :toot:

This would be entertaining and equally impossible. I'd have so much leverage with what I do for a significant raise and/or quitting that its not even funny in addition to not even having been trained for the biggest impact part of what they do. That would be the "we're going to talk about how a 20k raise is going to define my continued employment."

I wouldn't count it out 100% but I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

demonachizer posted:

We currently do our ticketing 95% through the phone and 5% through email and it works pretty well. Most of the time, issues can be immediately resolved over the phone so it seems pointless to have someone submit a ticket and then track them down to resolve what could have been a 2 minute fix.

You're getting 5% of the credit you're due. It might work well now, but if it ramps up and you need help, it might be awkward to ask for more staff when you only do 1/20 the industry standard workload according to your metrics. Tickets will also help you analyze large scale events better than "hey, anyone else seem to be getting a lot of calls about FooMunger throwing errors?"

Always make tickets, even if it's you making a ticket after the fact just to document what happened.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Manslaughter posted:

Spent all morning trying to figure out why a client's DateTimes were getting the month and day transposed, guess where their servers are [not] hosted? gently caress you America, why you gotta do everything rear end backwards.

When I took French in high school it was explained to me how the rest of the world (or at least Europe) writes dates and why they do it that way. I now have to constantly stop myself writing dates that way because it just makes so much more sense. :downs:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Some lovely in-house software at my last job would only work properly if your computer was using American date format.

lovely is actually a huge compliment. It was so bad it couldn't even calculate GST correctly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

President Ark posted:

When I took French in high school it was explained to me how the rest of the world (or at least Europe) writes dates and why they do it that way. I now have to constantly stop myself writing dates that way because it just makes so much more sense. :downs:
I have an deep hatred for anyone who doesn't use ISO8601 for date fields in internal data formats. I don't care how you present it to the user, but if your systems are sending data files to my systems with m/d/y or some other rear end-backwards date format in file names or data fields meant to be machine-readable I'll hunt you down and gently caress you with a rusty shovel.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Collateral Damage posted:

I have an deep hatred for anyone who doesn't use ISO8601 for date fields in internal data formats. I don't care how you present it to the user, but if your systems are sending data files to my systems with m/d/y or some other rear end-backwards date format in file names or data fields meant to be machine-readable I'll hunt you down and gently caress you with a rusty shovel.

Oh, I'm not talking about datasystems, just handwriting or manual entry on forms or whatever.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Manslaughter posted:

As an American who works with software written by an Australian company, I say you all have it backward. :colbert:

Also, I'd much prefer if we switched to using YYYYMMDD for everything, internally and externally.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dragyn posted:

As an American who works with software written by an Australian company, I say you all have it backward. :colbert:

As an American who works with software at all, if you're not storing your datetimes in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, then you're all nuts :colbert:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I am the victor of Tablet Wars 2014! Long story short, sales department wants tablets for all personnel. My supervisor, the Chief Engineer, is pushing iPads and I, the one-man IT department, am pushing Surfaces. After a month-long war of attrition, the General Manager contacted me and told me to purchase, set up, and train the sales department to use fifteen Surfaces.

I really thought this would piss off my supervisor, but he was actually so impressed with my Surface presentation that he's buying one for himself.

Taco Bell has breakfast and now someone listened to a thing I said. This has been a pretty good day :unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

See if you can budget the extra $200 per Surface for an additional year of warranty, which also includes accidental damage protection. You can go here to buy that and register your Surfaces. Sales people tend to not take care of their poo poo, so this might be a worthwhile investment.

https://myservice.surface.com/en-US/pages/welcome.aspx

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

larchesdanrew posted:

I am the victor of Tablet Wars 2014! Long story short, sales department wants tablets for all personnel. My supervisor, the Chief Engineer, is pushing iPads and I, the one-man IT department, am pushing Surfaces. After a month-long war of attrition, the General Manager contacted me and told me to purchase, set up, and train the sales department to use fifteen Surfaces.

I really thought this would piss off my supervisor, but he was actually so impressed with my Surface presentation that he's buying one for himself.

Taco Bell has breakfast and now someone listened to a thing I said. This has been a pretty good day :unsmith:

The winning move was telling them no.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenNight posted:

See if you can budget the extra $200 per Surface for an additional year of warranty, which also includes accidental damage protection. You can go here to buy that and register your Surfaces. Sales people tend to not take care of their poo poo, so this might be a worthwhile investment.

https://myservice.surface.com/en-US/pages/welcome.aspx

This is the best part of the story, but since the sales department was so adamant about getting tablets, there's now a "you break it, you bought it" policy. They take care of their poo poo or it's coming out of their paycheck. If they don't agree, they don't get a tablet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

This is the best part of the story, but since the sales department was so adamant about getting tablets, there's now a "you break it, you bought it" policy. They take care of their poo poo or it's coming out of their paycheck. If they don't agree, they don't get a tablet.

Yeah but what if the Surface dies at month 14? Just a hardware failure, no damage. We've had some Surface Pro's that happened to. No dead Surface Pro 2's yet, but those are still new.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

larchesdanrew posted:

"Oh, the client tripped over the connector, it's not my fault!", words said verbatim to me to convince me not to bill for a CATO laptop with TIRE MARKS on it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Collateral Damage posted:

You'd be surprised the crazy poo poo some platforms use for dates internally. ANSI M was the fever dream of some guy designing database platforms for hospitals, so he decided that the date 0 should be the day before the birthday of the oldest currently living American and that dates should be the number of seconds since that time. Pretty much any date coming in or out of software implemented on an M-based platform as to do hilarious work to figure out what format they're receiving or need to send in and translate.

This is made more hilarious by the fact that several major banks also run software that uses M (why????), so they have to deal with the weird epoch and the fact that all numerical values are stored as doubles and there's no built in way to truncate them precisely, which makes dealing with currency amounts weird.

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it never stops being hilarious seeing the workarounds programmers have to use to get things that are completely standard in most modern database platforms.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You'd be surprised the crazy poo poo some platforms use for dates internally. ANSI M was the fever dream of some guy designing database platforms for hospitals, so he decided that the date 0 should be the day before the birthday of the oldest currently living American and that dates should be the number of seconds since that time. Pretty much any date coming in or out of software implemented on an M-based platform as to do hilarious work to figure out what format they're receiving or need to send in and translate.

what the gently caress

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is made more hilarious by the fact that several major banks also run software that uses M (why????), so they have to deal with the weird epoch and the fact that all numerical values are stored as doubles and there's no built in way to truncate them precisely, which makes dealing with currency amounts weird.

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it never stops being hilarious seeing the workarounds programmers have to use to get things that are completely standard in most modern database platforms.

I have to translate all the dates in my system from their weirdass epoch date using excel... =TEXT((K2-21548),"mm/dd/yyyy")

I think it's day since 12/31/1889 or something like that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alctel posted:

what the gently caress

Actually it's a bit more than that, he found the date of birth of what was currently known to be the oldest living American, and then added a few years of buffer time beforehand in case someone turned out to have been born earlier than that. The epoch marker was decided in 1969, when the current oldest person in America was 121 years old i.e. born sometime in 1848; just to be safe the start date was pushed back to the last day of December 1840.

You know, in case a 128 year old showed up at the hospital in 1969 shortly before dying of extreme age.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Install Windows posted:

Actually it's a bit more than that, he found the date of birth of what was currently known to be the oldest living American, and then added a few years of buffer time beforehand in case someone turned out to have been born earlier than that. The epoch marker was decided in 1969, when the current oldest person in America was 121 years old i.e. born sometime in 1848; just to be safe the start date was pushed back to the last day of December 1840.

You know, in case a 128 year old showed up at the hospital in 1969 shortly before dying of extreme age.

How is that even a helpful epoch marker in any way to begin with?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Why not? There are currently two living grandchildren of John Tyler, and his presidency started in 1841. I just hope noone needs to refer to his birthdate in 1790.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Alctel posted:

what the gently caress

MUMPS stories are always the funniest stories ever.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Inspector_666 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_%28reference_date%29#Notable_epoch_dates_in_computing

Eh, less arbitrary than a lot of them, it's just that Unix epoch is much more common.

There are plenty of more serious issues with MUMPS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

scroogle nmaps posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_%28reference_date%29#Notable_epoch_dates_in_computing

Eh, less arbitrary than a lot of them, it's just that Unix epoch is much more common.

There are plenty of more serious issues with MUMPS.

I'd say it's pretty drat arbitrary given that he pretty much just took a wild guess on a date that is itself probably mostly apocryphal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Why not? There are currently two living grandchildren of John Tyler, and his presidency started in 1841. I just hope noone needs to refer to his birthdate in 1790.

Just use negative time duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inspector_666 posted:

MUMPS was designed for use in a hospital environment, there was currently at least one guy still alive who was over 120 years old, so the start date should be set for before he was born because negative time values are icky or something and the designer wanted the oldest guy alive to be able to be admitted to the hospital's systems with his true age.

Then the designer decided "why not add on a few more years".

• Locked thread