Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Magic posted:

So, I may be getting a sort of ridiculous tax return (marriage + self-employment = deductions hoorayyy, apparently). I'll have enough to save some good money, and also some left over to make horribly depreciating toy buying decisions.

So, of course, I'm re-considering all the combiners and third-party toys that I've boycotted due to price. In particular, I'm looking again at the Predakings floating around, specifically the TFC and MMC versions. Is there a decent point-by-point comparison between the two that exists (or that someone could write up)?

I have a MMC Hexatron, and he's amazing. I love him. I also have a TFC Hercules, who is also incredible. I feel kinda underwhelmed by the TFC Uranus, though (I am probably going to sell the Blackbird, Phantom, and Eagle I have), and I am wary of any new TFC products when Gumball (not-Streetwise) looks like such poo poo.

My opinions of the various third party stuff you list are almost identical to yours (only exception being that while I am underwhelmed by Uranos, I love the plane modes because I love jets). For my money, I'm going with MMC's Feral Rex as my Predaking all the way. They do a better job of feeling like faithful updates of the original Predacons without being too slavish or making design changes for no apparent reason the way TFC so often does. They're huge, solidly constructed, and I think Feral Rex cuts the most badass silhouette of the three third party Predakings. Plus, I'm a sucker for a giant sword made out of littler swords.

I like TFC's stuff overall, but over time I have come to the conclusion that given a choice between TFC and MMC, I have to go MMC. They're just a top notch third party company, and I have never been let down by them, either in terms of design or quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sentinel Red posted:

Genuine question: if there's already been an amnesty and if you've just helped save all creation, do you not merit a fresh slate if you have genuinely come to the conclusion that you allowed your world view to become warped and have basically completely hosed up the last 4 millions years for everyone?

It comes down to the whole crime and punishment thing, is it worth punishing and ostracising someone if they accept what they did was wrong and wish to repent and make amends? Isn't rehabilitation preferable to simple retribution and punishment for the sake of it?

There's two major factors that make it fertile ground for a good writer like Roberts (or, frankly, an even better serious scifi author):

1. The TFs don't seem to have any real concept of a judicial system. How they would even begin to assess someone's level of guilt/culpability when the DJD and Hot Rod's reaction to the Quintesson trial are pretty much our only clues as to how they handle the concept of justice?

2. The concept of rehabilitation for creatures who are machines is interesting. We're just barely getting insight into how the question of nature vs. nurture impacts human behavior. How do Cybertronians regard this issue? Are Cybertronians built with immutable personalities or are they "born" tabla rasa?

Given how we've seen that TFs don't really grow or change as people even over the course of millions of human years, and the rarity of instances of bots altering their alignment (like Drift), I'd say even if the IDWverse was the only TF fiction ever (i.e., we don't "know" the other 30 years of Megatron's behavior), cold storage of his spark is the only reasonable path forward.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Given how we've seen that TFs don't really grow or change as people even over the course of millions of human years, and the rarity of instances of bots altering their alignment (like Drift), I'd say even if the IDWverse was the only TF fiction ever (i.e., we don't "know" the other 30 years of Megatron's behavior), cold storage of his spark is the only reasonable path forward.

Yeah, but how much of that arrested development is caused by a perpetual war?

Who knows, maybe Megatron's genuinely realized that he made a huge mistake. Now that he's lost everything, he's the one who has to keep the species together.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 26, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

1. The TFs don't seem to have any real concept of a judicial system. How they would even begin to assess someone's level of guilt/culpability when the DJD and Hot Rod's reaction to the Quintesson trial are pretty much our only clues as to how they handle the concept of justice?

There's also Tyrest (and his Accord), and the Aequitas System, and what happened with Whirl and Megatron back at the start of everything. I'd rather say that their concept of a judicial system is lousy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

There's also Tyrest (and his Accord), and the Aequitas System, and what happened with Whirl and Megatron back at the start of everything. I'd rather say that their concept of a judicial system is lousy.

I would say that one of the consistent themes in the current IDW stories is that it's rare to find a Cybertronian that can process nuance effectively. I'm not sure that's easily chalked up to perpetual war, because the NAILs weren't all that good at it, either. I definitely believe this is intentional.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

I would say that one of the consistent themes in the current IDW stories is that it's rare to find a Cybertronian that can process nuance effectively. I'm not sure that's easily chalked up to perpetual war, because the NAILs weren't all that good at it, either. I definitely believe this is intentional.

Well they are robots.

EDIT: and did NO ONE notice what I did up there? Seriously?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Well they are robots.

EDIT: and did NO ONE notice what I did up there? Seriously?

:doh:

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Keldroc posted:

My opinions of the various third party stuff you list are almost identical to yours (only exception being that while I am underwhelmed by Uranos, I love the plane modes because I love jets). For my money, I'm going with MMC's Feral Rex as my Predaking all the way. They do a better job of feeling like faithful updates of the original Predacons without being too slavish or making design changes for no apparent reason the way TFC so often does. They're huge, solidly constructed, and I think Feral Rex cuts the most badass silhouette of the three third party Predakings. Plus, I'm a sucker for a giant sword made out of littler swords.

I like TFC's stuff overall, but over time I have come to the conclusion that given a choice between TFC and MMC, I have to go MMC. They're just a top notch third party company, and I have never been let down by them, either in terms of design or quality.

I feel like I'm unintentionally a pretty big TFC apologist. While I was less impressed with Uranos than with Hercules, I think that's due more to me being less invested in Superion as a concept. The only real problems I had with TFC's design were the combined mode face and Phantomray, and those both got fixed (i.e. thrown in the garbage) when the upgrade kit was released. It probably should've been released that way to begin with, but I'm a sucker.

I also went with TFC's Ares/Predaking over MMC's for two reasons: the smaller size and because I thought the beast modes looked much better. But now, since Warbotron and the FP Menasor have thrown the scale issue out the window anyway, I'm considering just cutting my losses while I can and going with Feral Rex from here on out since everyone seems to think it's the better of the two. One thing I'm wondering though, is do we know the size of MMC's Razorclaw in comparison to TFC's? I was loving astounded at how huge Nemean was in hand. It towers over pretty much every other figure on my shelf.

I think TFC's Defensor is going to be the dealbreaker for me though. The prospect of a voyager-sized, practically unpainted police car does not inspire confidence.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Well they are robots.

I did just realize that Optimus and Megatron defeated Shockwave Captain Kirk-style. Remember how Kirk would always confront a coldly logical computer opponent by presenting it with illogic, appeals to emotion and contradictions? Shockwave is, of all Transformers, the most cold, logical, and computer-like. Optimus Prime reminds him of the friendship they used to have. Megatron wears an Autobot symbol at him.

All that was missing was Ultra Magnus aggressively dancing a jig at him.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

CyRaptor posted:

I think TFC's Defensor is going to be the dealbreaker for me though. The prospect of a voyager-sized, practically unpainted police car does not inspire confidence.

Goddamn, right? I LOVE Defensor for no good reason. The thought of a series of combined robots totally dedicated to helping people out is just wonderful to me (and I like all their personalities as well). You would have to really poo poo the bed for me to not be interested in a Defensor.

TFC, in fact, made a bed out of poo poo. I just don't get it. I can understand them responding to critiques of them adding too much to characters, perhaps, but honest to God that thing looks like a voyager-sized version of a legends toy. It just looks so plain.

Edit:

I have to admit that Groove--the uncoloured prototypes, anyway, looks pretty sweet.

Re-Edit:

I think I agree about the MMC Feral Rex, but I am still undecided. It's a ton of money to drop on a toy, either TFC or MMC, tax return or no. When I'm not the absolute biggest Predaking fan, I am a bit leery (although the notion of owning versions of all the combiners puts that special spark in my heart).

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 26, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Phy posted:

I did just realize that Optimus and Megatron defeated Shockwave Captain Kirk-style. Remember how Kirk would always confront a coldly logical computer opponent by presenting it with illogic, appeals to emotion and contradictions? Shockwave is, of all Transformers, the most cold, logical, and computer-like. Optimus Prime reminds him of the friendship they used to have. Megatron wears an Autobot symbol at him.

Like pumping too much air into a balloon!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Mech Ideas Animated Huffer and Pipes are back up for preorder again
http://www.planetsteelexpress.com/TTT01/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

Why do you think he shot him first? Shockwave knows he does not understand the power of dance. I was satisfied with the overall conclusion, since unlike everything else it wasn't some jammed in retcon but a totally meaningful story build up, though I feel like they could have cut out at least half or more of the middle crap to move to the final "battle" earlier and have BB/Megatron work together a bit more.

Also, this marks the third time Megatron has gone to the frontlines to save Cybertron against some super abomination. Dude should get at least a little pass after his second god.

Also if anyone reads the "corpse behind" dialogue and doesn't immediately think ticket to resurrection, well, you're being silly friend

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Other posted:

Mech Ideas Animated Huffer and Pipes are back up for preorder again
http://www.planetsteelexpress.com/TTT01/

These guys look pretty great but man I wish they had come out four or five years ago. My Animated stuff has been in storage for years now, there's just no place for them anymore. Kind of a shame.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CyRaptor posted:

I feel like I'm unintentionally a pretty big TFC apologist. While I was less impressed with Uranos than with Hercules, I think that's due more to me being less invested in Superion as a concept. The only real problems I had with TFC's design were the combined mode face and Phantomray, and those both got fixed (i.e. thrown in the garbage) when the upgrade kit was released. It probably should've been released that way to begin with, but I'm a sucker.

TFC is good at "fixing" things after the fact regarding their weird divergences from the established design. It's too bad they can't just do it that way to begin with, but people like us are dumb enough to buy the G1-ification kit so we have nobody to blame but ourselves in the end.

quote:

I also went with TFC's Ares/Predaking over MMC's for two reasons: the smaller size and because I thought the beast modes looked much better. But now, since Warbotron and the FP Menasor have thrown the scale issue out the window anyway, I'm considering just cutting my losses while I can and going with Feral Rex from here on out since everyone seems to think it's the better of the two. One thing I'm wondering though, is do we know the size of MMC's Razorclaw in comparison to TFC's? I was loving astounded at how huge Nemean was in hand. It towers over pretty much every other figure on my shelf.

They're both huge, but judging by these MP-10 comparison pics, TFC's Nemean is a bit larger.

MMC Leo Dux

TFC Nemean

Not a perfect side by side, but if Nemean were standing up straight I think he'd be at least a head taller than Leo Dux.

I just think MMC's designs are much slicker and less blocky-looking. TFC's look too much like a smaller toy blown up to a ridiculous size, and that lion head on his chest is just comically huge. I know it's to make it scale better as Predaking's chest, but I prefer MMC's method of having the lion mane expand out in combined mode. I also like the MMC figures' use of red much better.

quote:

Totally agreed. I was really excited about a large scale Defensor, but Gumball is...the only word I can come up with is "insulting." For that price I expect a little more effort in the deco. Reprolabels can't fix everything. I hope MMC or MakeToys does one.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 27, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There's only one thing to do with my tax return, and it involves an angry, sociopathic dinobot whose name is actually a swear word.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ka0 posted:

whose name is actually a swear word.

That might explain the anger and/or sociopathy, methinks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

New TF cartoon stuff got revealed: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/optimus-prime-new-cartoon-look-revealed-179559/

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So I guess that the whole backpedaling about how the first promo image of Bumblebee was not a good indicator's of the show's style, it was all bullshit? Looks pretty much like the first promo image.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Yellow Hot Rod meets Cybertron Prime!

Don't care for the style, or another Prime/BB show, but I guess the cartoons will always be as ultra safe as possible. Hopefully Megatron doesn't look like a weird evil monster (you know, cause he's evil?)

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I gave my son these crazy dinobots but he's scared of them.

Slash and Grimlock

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 27, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Grimlock as a giganatosaurus? Blasphemy, sir! :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

catch22 posted:

Don't care for the style, or another Prime/BB show, but I guess the cartoons will always be as ultra safe as possible. Hopefully Megatron doesn't look like a weird evil monster (you know, cause he's evil?)

Well if it's really a sequel to Prime, Megatron should be good. It'll be Megatron's epic quest to free poor Soundwave from the twilight zone! Meanwhile cybertron is invaded by a horde of zombie Insecticons, wonder where they came from.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

TheDK posted:

Comixology must have taken it down, I am getting an error when I try to view the page:

dang!

This page right here??? It is floating around on tumblr, bless.

I'm just ready for the latest quests Swerve comes up with in season 2. I'm not here for robot politics.

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 27, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

So, I may be getting a sort of ridiculous tax return (marriage + self-employment = deductions hoorayyy, apparently). I'll have enough to save some good money, and also some left over to make horribly depreciating toy buying decisions.

So, of course, I'm re-considering all the combiners and third-party toys that I've boycotted due to price. In particular, I'm looking again at the Predakings floating around, specifically the TFC and MMC versions. Is there a decent point-by-point comparison between the two that exists (or that someone could write up)?

I have a MMC Hexatron, and he's amazing. I love him. I also have a TFC Hercules, who is also incredible. I feel kinda underwhelmed by the TFC Uranus, though (I am probably going to sell the Blackbird, Phantom, and Eagle I have), and I am wary of any new TFC products when Gumball (not-Streetwise) looks like such poo poo.

MMC is the clear winner. I have a Bovis I'm selling because I can't swing both Feral Rex and Warbotron, but it is an incredible figure, so much better than the TFC offering.

And I own both Herc and Uranos but I'm not getting duped again by the "upgrade kit" bullshit.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

catch22 posted:

They apparently are shaking it up a bit, apparently Bumblebee's the leader in this one, so I'm guessing Prime's semi-transparent in the background there because he's only going to be around as Bumblebee's ghost advisor through the Matrix or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Knormal posted:

They apparently are shaking it up a bit, apparently Bumblebee's the leader in this one, so I'm guessing Prime's semi-transparent in the background there because he's only going to be around as Bumblebee's ghost advisor through the Matrix or something.

For 3 to 5 episodes before status quo returns

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Knormal posted:

All I'm saying is if OPs is a ghost, one scene has to be Bumblebee hallucinating him transforming from a fortune cookie. That will honestly make up for a lot of the recent characterization of OP, where all of his dialog is either stuff he said in the 1986 movie, or some form of Confucianism. I miss the old OP that the decepticons basically poo poo themselves to when he showed up. :sigh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anora posted:

All I'm saying is if OPs is a ghost, one scene has to be Bumblebee hallucinating him transforming from a fortune cookie. That will honestly make up for a lot of the recent characterization of OP, where all of his dialog is either stuff he said in the 1986 movie, or some form of Confucianism. I miss the old OP that the decepticons basically poo poo themselves to when he showed up. :sigh:

Well, there's that one Prime who's all "we will kill them all" and "GIVE ME YOUR FACE".

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 27, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do kind of like the designs because they resemble designs from one of the "lost" tf series like Transtech or Heroes

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I feel like Dark Cybertron went through some serious rewrites, because when they first announced it, it was supposed to be followed by something called "Purple Reign," and I was waiting for Shockwave on a motorcycle with a ruffle shirt and a perm.

Then again, Galvatron is also purple. Hmmm.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Anora posted:

And yet who was totally up for a game of hoops back at the Ark. Optimus needs to learn to have fun again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keldroc posted:

And yet who was totally up for a game of hoops back at the Ark. Optimus needs to learn to have fun again.

I want an Optimus with the personality of Captain Holt from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Seemingly the most serious and stolid person ever who wants the best for his people, but underneath, there is actually humour and not above being self-deprecating.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Rage posted:

MMC is the clear winner. I have a Bovis I'm selling because I can't swing both Feral Rex and Warbotron, but it is an incredible figure, so much better than the TFC offering.

And I own both Herc and Uranos but I'm not getting duped again by the "upgrade kit" bullshit.

What makes you say that about the MMC figures? (I'm not disagreeing. I just don't know that I see quite as much difference as others do.)

Also--why Warbotron over Feral Rex? Bigger fan of Bruticus?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If I had the money and space, I would get the MMC Predaking. I've gone the Maketoys \ Fansproject route with my combiners, but Predaking was bigger, anyway.

I do feel like the MMC Predaking's intricate detail also doesn't really match with TFC's super blocky aesthetic. Had I gone TFC I might have gotten the TFC Predaking just so they all match, but I don't really dig their style.

I hope Fansproject or Maketoys does a Defensor or tries another attempt at Superion. I wouldn't mind Fansproject doing a new Onslaught or Brawl for their existing Bruticus, too...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

What makes you say that about the MMC figures? (I'm not disagreeing. I just don't know that I see quite as much difference as others do.)

Also--why Warbotron over Feral Rex? Bigger fan of Bruticus?

I like the quality better in hand vs. my TFC stuff. Really sturdy, no mechanical issues, and the color scheme is better in my opinion. Warbotron over Feral because Bruticus holds a bigger nostalgia chunk for me than Predaking does, so it was one or the other.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah, that all makes sense. I love my Hercules, but I didn't like having to fiddle with Heavy Labor's poo poo so much (even though he is my favorite of the six), and one of them (I think Exgraver) has a hip section that's starting to come apart a bit. I've been meaning to post a picture on here and ask for advice on that.

Warbotron Air Burst looks loving sweet. Who is Warbotron, anyway? Are they a new company, or some sub-company of one of the other third party companies like some of the others?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This guy is :krad:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
KOs of MP Prowl have started to pop up on ebay. No idea of their quality so far. $39 isn't so bad right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love my Maketoys Giant and Fansproject Menasor and Bruticus and they look loving awesome, but they are not really fun toys to play with. Transforming Giant back and forth is a huge project, and Menasor is so complicated that he makes MP Megatron look easy. Like it could take you two whole hours transforming that Menasor back and forth. He's just gonna stand on my shelf and look pretty.

I can't speak for the TFC ones, and while I have seen the Hercules and parts of Superion in person, I've never transformed them. I don't like messing with other peoples' toys when they cost multiple hundreds of dollars.