Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Looking forward to pictures of your new M5.

The test drive went well :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
orrrr... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300624
How about that car as a DD?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Crustashio posted:

But that one isn't a hatch? That is a coupe and it will have the Z-link rear suspension, not the e30 style semi-trailing arm.

Liftback, hatchback, whatever. The glass goes up with the trunk.

(Yes, I know they're different, conflating them is a bad habit of mine)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

televiper posted:

Liftback, hatchback, whatever. The glass goes up with the trunk.

(Yes, I know they're different, conflating them is a bad habit of mine)

The one in the link is a coupe though (i.e. proper E36) not the hatchback/liftback/whatever model

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I'd walk away from that price due to the rust. Too bad because the car looks to be pretty well sorted otherwise.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

revmoo posted:

I'd walk away from that price due to the rust. Too bad because the car looks to be pretty well sorted otherwise.

That rust doesn't look that bad to me and he'd let it go for $3200 with some basket weaves, idk, that's pretty cheap for all the stuff that's been taken care of on it.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

dissss posted:

The one in the link is a coupe though (i.e. proper E36) not the hatchback/liftback/whatever model

Oh jeez, my bad. Browsing from my phone and somehow was utterly convinced I was looking at a Ti.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Nothing says quality like HIDs and smoked turn signals. And rust.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seems like a decent car for the price.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think 2k would be the most I'd be willing to pay for that e30 with that rust. You essentially need to add up either (a) The value of all the parts + cost of a new rolling chassis + labor needed to build a new car, or (b) The cost for a body shop to cut out, replace sheet metal and paint. I think the paint/body work needed would total more than the 3k price. It's not that it's not a good car, it's that you'll be in the hole by thousands of dollars the second money changes hands.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Where do you live where perfect rust free E30s are just falling off the trees because every time someone posts an E30 in here you're like, "too much, too rust, too lovely" and I want to know where these nice E30s for 2 grand are at so I can buy one some day

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4393052862.html

I'm gonna go buy this one today. Called the guy 20 minutes after it went up.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

Where do you live where perfect rust free E30s are just falling off the trees because every time someone posts an E30 in here you're like, "too much, too rust, too lovely" and I want to know where these nice E30s for 2 grand are at so I can buy one some day

All over the west coast and southwest? I see several rust free E30s a week just driving around town during my commute.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rscott posted:

Somewhere the weather doesn't suck.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4391538635.html

Am I missing something on this car? I need a cheap car right now, and this seems to fit the bill and it's an e30 sooooo I want it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

All over the west coast and southwest? I see several rust free E30s a week just driving around town during my commute.

for 2k? nope

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So, I've been doing some research and found out some cool things.

An M52b28 with stock rods and a stock crank can accept M50tu pistons. This will bump static compression up to 11.5:1. No piston/valve interference problems with stock cams, need to be tested for issues with aftermarket and S52 spec cams.

2006-2009 Daytona 675 throttle bodies come in groups of three and have a 44mm ID. This is a great size for M/S5X motors. They can be had for less than $100 a set.

M52s have a cheaper cam upgrade than S52 cams, also. An M50NV intake cam can be used as an exhaust side cam, and an M54 intake cam can be used as the intake. This gives the same can profile as an S52 on the exhaust cam with a somewhat milder intake cam. It's a heck of a lot cheaper.

This is probably the coolest: 5 lug swaps on e30s almost all suck because you get stuck using tiny 318ti brakes or z3 brakes. If you use m3 fronts it throws your brake distribution all to hell. Apparently 128i rear rotors have a deep enough hat that you can retain the stock parking brake with 318ti hubs on stock trailing arms. With some caliper adapters and an appropriate caliper, you can cheaply and easily obtain 300mm vented rear brakes. I'm pretty sure e36 M3 calipers will have the proper swept area for these rotors but I have to check.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That sounds wild. Please do it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Am I missing something on this car? I need a cheap car right now, and this seems to fit the bill and it's an e30 sooooo I want it.
Don't be fooled by the first pic, he's selling the green basket case behind it. Tricked me when I saw it on CL the other day.

e: basket case may be a bit harsh. But make sure to notice that in some of the pictures, the car looks fine, but in some of them, the front end has taken damage and has different front wheels on it. The other two black wheels are in the trunk so who knows what's going on there. Also it says it needs a new top, then goes on to say top works fine. It's definitely worth checking out in the flesh. You'd at minimum be looking at front bumper, front splitter, both front fenders, and maybe a hood that have damage.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Look at the front end in picture 11, that car is messed up. For $2k I'd say no way. There's a high likely hood that thing is a few potholes away from some expensive repairs. If you're in the market for a truly cheap car buy a Honda or Toyota. If you want a cheap e30 be prepared to either do some work or spend a little longer (read more money) looking for something better.

I mean I know this is a BMW thread and SA loves them some e30s (who doesn't?). But I think sometimes people forget no other 25+ year old car with front end damage and shady before/after accident pictures is asking $2k. E30's are awesome and they can last for a long time with good maintenance but don't get duped on a poorly maintained or beat on car just because they are coming back into style.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 26, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

for 2k? nope

He didn't say what price, just wher

BraveUlysses posted:

for 2k? nope

I was responding to where to find rust free E30s.

You don't want the kind of E30s people are selling for $2k or less no matter where you live.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4377885986.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4369130090.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4387804535.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4376636590.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4388830268.html

Comedy option:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4389333912.html

There's a bunch more but I skipped them. In the current market a sub $3k E30 is likely an Eta engine, may or may not run, may or may not have serious mechanical issues, but we do have rust free rolling shells for cheap alllllll dayyyy long out here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

2006-2009 Daytona 675 throttle bodies come in groups of three and have a 44mm ID. This is a great size for M/S5X motors. They can be had for less than $100 a set.

I had a Daytona 675 and you can add 2006-2012 675 as being the same. I may actually have a set laying around from when I blew up my 06 motor, I'll look.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The post of mine that you literally quoted says, "where are these nice E30s for $2k at so I can buy one" so like, idk man. I know rust free E30s exist, I'm just saying they're way more expensive than what some of you guys think is an appropriate price is. Cash for clunkers and a lovely economy has inflated the prices of every used car, and E30s have bottomed out on price and are becoming more desirable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

The post of mine that you literally quoted says, "where are these nice E30s for $2k at so I can buy one" so like, idk man. I know rust free E30s exist, I'm just saying they're way more expensive than what some of you guys think is an appropriate price is. Cash for clunkers and a lovely economy has inflated the prices of every used car, and E30s have bottomed out on price and are becoming more desirable.

The post I quoted was literally you complaining when people pooh-pooh an E30 with any amount of rust as being 'too rusty'. The reason people are doing that is because, outside of the rust belt, rust free examples are everywhere and there's no reason to pay $3k+ for something with body cancer when you can literally get the same car from someplace out west, have it shipped to you, and never worry about rust.

Or just move out of the rust belt if you're a car enthusiast, it makes everything better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

HotCanadianChick posted:

The post I quoted was literally you complaining when people pooh-pooh an E30 with any amount of rust as being 'too rusty'. The reason people are doing that is because, outside of the rust belt, rust free examples are everywhere and there's no reason to pay $3k+ for something with body cancer when you can literally get the same car from someplace out west, have it shipped to you, and never worry about rust.

Or just move out of the rust belt if you're a car enthusiast, it makes everything better.

You use "literally" a lot.

I didn't get the cable yet, Dad's getting the battery at a tuner tomorrow... might as well eat the extra $75 for them to use their cable and have them take the liability.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I see e36s and e46s (and old 7ers) come and go nearly every day here in KY for around 1500, obviously with issues, but I'm talking about easy fixers. E30s are slightly rarer, but I still see them come around on a pretty regular basis for 2-4k and pretty much never with much rust. Take a road trip if the local offerings suck. If I was in the market for a new ride I'd be scouting the South Carolina region on classifieds sites. So many good cars from that area because I guess the factory they have there.

Not worth it to deal with rust long unless you have a good way to get it fixed.

E: This is what 4 large looks like right now on craigslist in my area http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4331742019.html:

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Rust is a bitch and can be a rabbit hole that goes very very very deep.

If I am going to gently caress with rust, its going to be on an old american ride because poo poo bolts together. Uni bodies and rust? Heh, no thanks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, I would not touch a rusty car if I lived in a non rusty area. proper rust fixing is expensive. I'd take oxidised/faded paint and brittle glue all day long.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seriously drive to Kentucky folks, since my post last night I saw a $2000 clean 540i and a clean $1500 e46 wagon popup on CL. Cinci is good too, I've bought two different e36s from there so far (ok one had rust, but it was battery tray rust).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You linked the least desirable year E30 with a beat to poo poo interior and a bunch of spare parts of unknown quality for $4k, I'm not sure how that exactly compares to the car in the r3v post.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So...how much SHOULD you pay for an e30 with no rust, non-eta, manual box, either in good driver shape or with some minor, easy fixes?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Probably about $5k, you can spend less on the car but in that case you'll be spending time/money fixing the poo poo that needs to be fixed.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Probably about $5k, you can spend less on the car but in that case you'll be spending time/money fixing the poo poo that needs to be fixed.

This is a good estimate. They will all need work, too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Seriously drive to Kentucky folks, since my post last night I saw a $2000 clean 540i and a clean $1500 e46 wagon popup on CL. Cinci is good too, I've bought two different e36s from there so far (ok one had rust, but it was battery tray rust).

Next year I'm taking a drat road trip to revmoos and buying a 540i. In all seriousness, what part of CL should I browse that your finding these cars?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Someone (in Canada no less) found a clean E30 recently. I'm kinda jealous. I would winter drive the poo poo out of an E30. It's just so wonderfully basic.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162382

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Next year I'm taking a drat road trip to revmoos and buying a 540i. In all seriousness, what part of CL should I browse that your finding these cars?

I have louisville.craigslist.org keyword in title 'BMW' with pic, price between 200-4000 set up as an RSS feed. I see crazy awesome cheap poo poo all the time.

I think most areas probably do pretty well for inventory as long as you have a good filter setup, monitor it every day, and willing to be patient. It took me years to find a decent pair of matching seats for my car, but they eventually popped up and I called the dude and immediately drove to the ATM and then his house, the seats were in my car within an hour or so of the ad going up. Saved me like 1200 bucks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Someone (in Canada no less) found a clean E30 recently. I'm kinda jealous. I would winter drive the poo poo out of an E30. It's just so wonderfully basic.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162382

They're out there. I've seen a few on max for decent prices, and a few in BC. Its just never been the right time for me. This summer I'll be hunting for a nice 318is, but I have a bit of sanity so I'm also looking at e36 325/328s and e46 330s. I just want something FUN again. MK4 2.0 is killing my sanity with the m3 in storage.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

I have louisville.craigslist.org keyword in title 'BMW' with pic, price between 200-4000 set up as an RSS feed. I see crazy awesome cheap poo poo all the time.

Ugh, I did find what you were talking about.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4393663716.html

gently caress, I wish I had extra cash lying around, I would be sending you out to check it out too. But with the autobox, I am worried if its hiding some kind of issues.

Popete posted:

Nothing good can come from buying an MSRP $53k BMW for $2k unless you have a bunch more extra cash laying around to dump into.

Goes the same for old 3 series. Besides, its knowing what your getting into when you buy these cars, being prepped to buy a new transmission or something else. Luckily, these are still the years that most of the poo poo is relatively easy to repair, besides a transmission swap out or something else that catastrophic, and even then I have access to a lift.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 27, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nothing good can come from buying an MSRP $53k BMW for $2k unless you have a bunch more extra cash laying around to dump into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Popete posted:

I only paid $1k for mine, and that seemed to work out ok.