Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If you had told me that my favorite sports feature of the year, thus far, would be a Grantland article about the world's best juggler I would have laughed at you, but here we are. This was a fine read.
It's a great piece, and even more impressive given that he wasn't able to interview or speak to the subject of the article.

It's also an article that would have very different (and much, much poorer) before YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That was a great article, and the video of him performing in the Cirque du Soleil is absolutely breathtaking.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I actually love these sorts of articles. That and the pool one were really interesting reads. Thanks for posting it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mentioned before in this thread and elsewhere that I was a regular writer at SB Nation.

Today I got a call from my boss, who had to deliver bad news of budget cuts and slashed hours.

Guess who was the odd man out :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sorry my man :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Benne posted:

I mentioned before in this thread and elsewhere that I was a regular writer at SB Nation.

Today I got a call from my boss, who had to deliver bad news of budget cuts and slashed hours.

Guess who was the odd man out :smith:

That sucks dude. Good luck finding a new gig!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"We can dump around $7 million into Ezra Klein's vanity project, but we can't afford to pay our piddly news desk guys." Yup, sure makes sense :thumbsup:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
They have to pay for Matt Yglesias' all new hideously mauve wardrobe and his infantile understanding of economics!

(Sorry, Benne. :smith: )

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't know what the policy is for posting content behind ESPN's Insider paywall, but if it's allowed, this is possibly the worst poo poo I've ever seen.

Synopsis if you can't get at it: We totally have an algorithm that puts a value on clubhouse chemistry in terms of the number of wins it creates/prevents. Oh, and clubhouse chemistry is influenced by a variety of factors including "the mixing of the races is bad."

It's utter poo poo, and while I saw a lot of you on Twitter also calling it poo poo, people may have missed it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FairGame posted:

I don't know what the policy is for posting content behind ESPN's Insider paywall,

We used to have a whole thread dedicated to nothing but "here's an insider only article, give me the full text" which has since gone away.

That said, your link is fine, since non-insiders will not see the content.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I don't necessarily find it difficult to believe that a mixture of races in a clubhouse could be correlated to lower "chemistry", given that it might indicate significant language barriers and that a lot of MLB players are racist. It's just that the lesson to take from that information is "we need to provide better resources to integrate players of different cultures, and reiterate a no-tolerance policy on racism of any form," not "well, let's try to get only white players."

e: To be clear, I don't have Insider so I can't comment on the specific methodology or results of this specific study.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Mornacale posted:

e: To be clear, I don't have Insider so I can't comment on the specific methodology or results of this specific study.

Based on this blog post by baseball researcher Phil Birnbaum that Groucho Marxist linked on twitter, it's pretty clear there is absolutely no actual methodology in the first place. Nowhere does the ESPN article list data sources, regression methods (although it's probably babby's first linear regression), or anything even approaching statistical rigor.

Leokitty also pointed out on Twitter that the article was written by an employee of the Parthenon Group, which is a headhunting group for CEOs/executives. It's pretty clear this is essentially a stealth ad for Parthenon touting a so-called expertise at quantifying intangibles -- which makes their unsourced and idiotic conclusions even more vile.

I've absolutely had it with analytics becoming a cargo cult for shills and morons to get clickbait, especially for vaguely coded racist claptrap like that.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
That piece is in The Magazine, and unless they change the policy, they'll open it up eventually if you want to waste your time with it. It's really a dumb article that comes down to "chemistry, however the hell we defined it, which is unclear, barely accounts for half a win or loss in most cases but we're going to spend 8 pages on the subject."

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Benne posted:

"We can dump around $7 million into Ezra Klein's vanity project, but we can't afford to pay our piddly news desk guys." Yup, sure makes sense :thumbsup:

This is my main problem with media today. People who are talented and even-handed at reporting are often the first cut. People who manage to grab attention, or bait people, or say outlandish things, bring in the money and push out the talent. It's a pretty cruel world out there for news and has been for a while.

Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully they can pick you back up if it brings in more money.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That sucks dude. Good luck finding a new gig!

...er

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SporkOfTruth posted:

Based on this blog post by baseball researcher Phil Birnbaum that Groucho Marxist linked on twitter, it's pretty clear there is absolutely no actual methodology in the first place. Nowhere does the ESPN article list data sources, regression methods (although it's probably babby's first linear regression), or anything even approaching statistical rigor.

Leokitty also pointed out on Twitter that the article was written by an employee of the Parthenon Group, which is a headhunting group for CEOs/executives. It's pretty clear this is essentially a stealth ad for Parthenon touting a so-called expertise at quantifying intangibles -- which makes their unsourced and idiotic conclusions even more vile.

I've absolutely had it with analytics becoming a cargo cult for shills and morons to get clickbait, especially for vaguely coded racist claptrap like that.

Oh, well, in that case :barf:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BUSTER NO

quote:

@Buster_ESPN
One other thing re: Puig coverage: Accusing reporters you don't know of being racist because of their color is nothing less than racism.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/449194370361991169

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

:getin:

I love this poo poo. And I believe Buster Olney poo poo on Scorekeeping once upon a time, too, so gently caress him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The more ESPN has been pushing Buster as their main baseball guy, the bigger a tool he seems.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

An adult man who goes says "no, please call me Buster."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

His real name is Robert Stanbury Olney III so Buster is, somehow, less douchey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is also what happens when they don't give Gammons enough money or whatever and he bails. They seem to have replaced him with Olney.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

His real name is Robert Stanbury Olney III so Buster is, somehow, less douchey.

Robert or Bob Olney?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hi, I'm Robert, but you can call me Robestan

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Anyone who read the juggling article I posted earlier and enjoyed it should also watch this thing from Grantland on - I kid you not - "combat juggling."

It's not exactly great journalism but it is a thing that exists and by existing has made my day better and brighter.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
Buster made Baseball Today unbearably boring. I don't need another reason to dislike him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'll give him :10bux: to go by Busta Olney for a week.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

R.D. Mangles posted:

Careful, now.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Spoeank posted:

Careful, now.

The only reason it's acceptable from a player is because no one there has a maturity level higher than a high school junior's anyway

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Also because Buster Posey's real name is "Gerald Dempsey". :barf:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeltaAttack2go posted:

Buster made Baseball Today unbearably boring. I don't need another reason to dislike him.
Yeah that was terrible. I tried listening for a few weeks but it's just a bunch of nonsense. I also in general can't stand most athlete interviews because it's always just canned answers.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Wow

I don't know if I've ever really paid attention to this writer for Yahoo Sports, but man this is one of the most overly-written, Bill Plashke wannabe drivel I've seen in a while.

"SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Brian Wilson went to pick up the baseball palm-down, like a highwayman collecting a cone from the back of a slow-moving flatbed, and it's funny where an inning, a ballgame, a 3-0 start, can go sideways on a guy and his teammates."

"There are no heroes in March. So along came Wilson, and in came Smith, and after ball one, ball two, here came the cutter, and the inch or two where a game is won and lost. Like everyone, the Dodgers will see a lot of these moments, hundreds of them, thousands even, and they'll meet their expectations by winning most of them. Or not."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That sure is a lot of words for "A Thing Happened."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phil Mushnick is at it again

quote:

At this point, in a world gone nuts, there must be dozens of NCAA, NFL and NBA players who belong to drugs-guns-murder street gangs, young women's auxiliaries included.

I just, what? :psyduck:

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

peepoogenderparts posted:

Wow

I don't know if I've ever really paid attention to this writer for Yahoo Sports, but man this is one of the most overly-written, Bill Plashke wannabe drivel I've seen in a while.

"SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Brian Wilson went to pick up the baseball palm-down, like a highwayman collecting a cone from the back of a slow-moving flatbed, and it's funny where an inning, a ballgame, a 3-0 start, can go sideways on a guy and his teammates."

"There are no heroes in March. So along came Wilson, and in came Smith, and after ball one, ball two, here came the cutter, and the inch or two where a game is won and lost. Like everyone, the Dodgers will see a lot of these moments, hundreds of them, thousands even, and they'll meet their expectations by winning most of them. Or not."

Sometimes that overwrought style of writing works, though. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug02/yeung/baberuth/broun.html

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/04/04/its-not-racist-and-other-responses-to-wahoo-protesters-at-home-opener

Great article on Cleveland Scene magazine about a confrontation between a fan and a native american protesting the Indians logo/name.

I feel a great deal of shame over this. I've seen a fed pro-wahoo tweets popping up in my timeline, and It's rather sad.

Go with the Block C. and just drop this logo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

peepoogenderparts posted:

Wow

Who the hell wants to be Bill Plashke?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/04/04/its-not-racist-and-other-responses-to-wahoo-protesters-at-home-opener

Great article on Cleveland Scene magazine about a confrontation between a fan and a native american protesting the Indians logo/name.

I feel a great deal of shame over this. I've seen a fed pro-wahoo tweets popping up in my timeline, and It's rather sad.

Go with the Block C. and just drop this logo.

I'm going to disagree with you only in the fact that the Block C is the ugliest, least unique logo possibly ever. You can't tell me that's the best they could come up with that wasn't offensive.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I'm going to disagree with you only in the fact that the Block C is the ugliest, least unique logo possibly ever. You can't tell me that's the best they could come up with that wasn't offensive.

If they tweaked the cursive I so that it didn't look like a stylized P reflected in a mirror, it could be passable. It's hard to come up with something that isn't just a letter that is also non-offensive with a team name like Indians though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Cleveland Jndians.

But yeah, that block C is so dull. Even just a white/blue outline around it would do wonders.