Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Super Standard is always a blast for the short while it is legal. So many possibilities for durdles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ScarletBrother posted:

Both core sets are legal in Standard until Huey is released and RtR block rotates out. M14 will rotate with it.

Do note there will be no standard ptq season until 2015. This is the first time in a long while there won't be a superstandard summer ptq season propping up the price of near-rotation cards. All there'll be are a few random GPs, the SCG circuit, and by store discretion FNMs. The spring & summer pricing dynamics are going to be all different, with huge ramifications for the number of busted JOU packs, and thus JOU availability in 2015. I'm surprised no one is writing articles about this yet aside form TWW.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Does seem weird to see all these MD people posting about how there's a ton of shops because I also live right over in NoVA but I think Fairfax County's card shop population is low due to all the older people that live here. I live in Reston but drive to Vienna to go to Game On Comics, which is literally "local magician wanted to own a comic shop" but the 12-16 regulars are very cool and nice. I think there is like one place in Sterling and maybe one or two in Fairfax, but it would be nicer if I could drive less than 20 minutes to play. Plus the shop is more focused on limited because they were getting bad turnouts for constructed. Maybe when the stupid metro finally opens I'll have more options.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Since it looks like we're wrapping down the previous store location chat, can I ask for store recs in Vancouver, BC? For the longest time my work schedule made getting out to anything impossible, and I'm kind of interested in playing formal Magic in person again.

I think I'm mostly interested in draft, but standard and modern aren't out of the question. Grognards are a minus.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Boxman posted:

So is this thread 3/4 Baltimore and one or two people in other cities, or what?
On that Northern Cali life. Channel Fireball is a swell store that I enjoy playing at!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boxman posted:

So is this thread 3/4 Baltimore and one or two people in other cities, or what?

Well, we do have enough people to support 20 stores...

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Just found out I'll be in MD (right at BWI) for most of next month for work, where can I play modern/legacy? I would prefer close/clean but would probably drive 30-45 mins for clean/competitive.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

standard.deviant posted:

Just found out I'll be in MD (right at BWI) for most of next month for work, where can I play modern/legacy? I would prefer close/clean but would probably drive 30-45 mins for clean/competitive.

In descending order (all very close to BWI):
Games and Stuff
Dropzone
Xanadu
Squabbles

They are all in the Wizards store locator.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

standard.deviant posted:

Just found out I'll be in MD for most of next month.

My condolences

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Toshimo posted:

In descending order (all very close to BWI):
Games and Stuff
Dropzone
Xanadu
Squabbles

They are all in the Wizards store locator.
Last year when I was in the area I played at Games and Stuff. They were good and clean and right down the street, but didn't have Legacy. Has that changed? Or was I just not there on the right night?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Boco_T posted:

Does seem weird to see all these MD people posting about how there's a ton of shops because I also live right over in NoVA but I think Fairfax County's card shop population is low due to all the older people that live here. I live in Reston but drive to Vienna to go to Game On Comics, which is literally "local magician wanted to own a comic shop" but the 12-16 regulars are very cool and nice. I think there is like one place in Sterling and maybe one or two in Fairfax, but it would be nicer if I could drive less than 20 minutes to play. Plus the shop is more focused on limited because they were getting bad turnouts for constructed. Maybe when the stupid metro finally opens I'll have more options.

Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn isn't bad, but their Magic crowd is definitely smaller than their wargaming crowd. It's a nice, clean, pleasant store, though.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I am pretty sure there are no other goons where I live, so I cant give props to my ridiculously good LGS :-(

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

standard.deviant posted:

Last year when I was in the area I played at Games and Stuff. They were good and clean and right down the street, but didn't have Legacy. Has that changed? Or was I just not there on the right night?

I believe G&S and Xanadu both run Legacy once a week. I haven't gone, though, and I don't know how many people actually show up. Baltimore is a decent area for Legacy, though Standard is the big fish just like it is everywhere else.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

For those of y'all talking about playing in Detroit, if you're willing to make a little bit of a drive I can say that BC Comix in Fenton used to be really good about prize support and having a well lit non-smelly playing space. I did hear they raised their draft prices awhile back though and haven't been there in a few years, so ymmv.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I have a business trip to Houston coming up in June. Where should I play there and what days? Modern or limited.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

standard.deviant posted:

Games and Stuff runs Legacy every Tuesday and has a Legacy SCG IQ on 3/30 (This Sunday).

Xanadu has a Legacy league on Wednesday nights.

CellBlock posted:

Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn isn't bad, but their Magic crowd is definitely smaller than their wargaming crowd. It's a nice, clean, pleasant store, though.

Last time I was there, I remember it being pretty obvious that they were pocketing promos something fierce. I don't remember why I think that, but it was something that stood out enough to me that it's the first thing I remember when I think of the shop.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Molybdenum posted:

I have a business trip to Houston coming up in June. Where should I play there and what days? Modern or limited.

I live in Houston and if anyone knows of a store with a consistent modern crowd please let me know. Seems like everyone I know here does legacy or standard.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I live in Reston but drive to Vienna to go to Game On Comics

I live in Tyson's and go to Comics and Games Fairfax. It's newish and unsmelly; dense population of regulars coming in from GMU obviously. Maybe I'll stop in on Game On though :goon:.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Eikre posted:

I live in Tyson's and go to Comics and Games Fairfax. It's newish and unsmelly; dense population of regulars coming in from GMU obviously. Maybe I'll stop in on Game On though :goon:.
If my shop doesn't do a Modern GP Trial next month then I'm taking Mono White Enchantment Prison to C&G's one on 4/19, maybe I will see you there

Oh wait, they do Modern every Sunday? I might get out to that because I don't feel like paying $40 to do Sealed this week.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 28, 2014

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What a Judas posted:

Liz is great and a good friend of mine. Hell, you and I probably know each other.

Yeah if you and Liz get along then we are also two peas in a pod.

The first time we met she tried to freak me out with some "making GBS threads dick nipple" pics that my wife's college buddy drew.

I think everyone in MD is going to miss her but a job working for Star city doesn't come up that often and at least now she travels a lot and next time she is in Kc or st Louis and I am not getting married that weekend I am going to have her come out and hang.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I might get out to that because I don't feel like paying $40 to do Sealed this week.

Where the hell are you paying $40 for sealed??

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Eikre posted:

Where the hell are you paying $40 for sealed??
It's a GP Trial at Game On on Saturday, so I guess you pay for the 6 packs plus the "tournament fee" for Wizards or whatever. I don't know. Are Sealed GP Trials usually closer to the regular Sealed $25?

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
After all this Baltimore talk, I'm curious: anyone play in NYC? I usually play at Twenty Sided Store, but sometimes go to Montasy.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Boco_T posted:

It's a GP Trial at Game On on Saturday, so I guess you pay for the 6 packs plus the "tournament fee" for Wizards or whatever. I don't know. Are Sealed GP Trials usually closer to the regular Sealed $25?

Oh, oh, of course, never mind, didn't realize you were taking about another GP Trial.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'm curious now if there are any boston goons ITT. I'm wondering what the best places on the north shore are to draft, specifically. I'm used to drafting up in New Hampshire but I don't want to drive that far anymore. If a place pays out in store credit rather than lovely-rear end packs that you can't use to draft at the store that seems preferable.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jhorphear posted:

I am pretty sure there are no other goons where I live, so I cant give props to my ridiculously good LGS :-(
Just give it the props it deserves. There are more than a couple lurkers in the thread who're probably from your area.

And in that spirit, Jak's in Biloxi is an okay place, and MacNarb's over in Ocean Springs actually seems to be doing pretty phenomenally and has a great crowd for more than just MtG. I almost played Netrunner there, and it's got a wall of free games to play just to hang out.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

CountFosco posted:

If a place pays out in store credit rather than lovely-rear end packs that you can't use to draft at the store that seems preferable.

What do you mean...they prize out booster packs but don't let you draft with them?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CountFosco posted:

I'm curious now if there are any boston goons ITT. I'm wondering what the best places on the north shore are to draft, specifically. I'm used to drafting up in New Hampshire but I don't want to drive that far anymore. If a place pays out in store credit rather than lovely-rear end packs that you can't use to draft at the store that seems preferable.

I know Rinski and Jackie Lee are out of Boston, but it doesn't look like they have been posting that much recently.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What do you mean...they prize out booster packs but don't let you draft with them?

I assume that means when they run a draft, you have to pay the full fee, you can't bring your own boosters and pay a smaller amount. Even if you won those boosters just a few minutes ago.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's not impossible to map a box for it's rares, then bring those packs to draft with.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

End of Life Guy posted:

It's not impossible to map a box for it's rares, then bring those packs to draft with.

How hard is this to do with theros block boxes? Is it as accurate as the RTR block box mapping? Do we think that the new m15 frame cards might be randomized better/differently?

I imagine this is why "packs" won are kept record of and doled out on draft nights at all the stores I play at.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 28, 2014

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

oryx posted:

After all this Baltimore talk, I'm curious: anyone play in NYC? I usually play at Twenty Sided Store, but sometimes go to Montasy.

I play @ 20 sided occasionally. I only draft at the moment though, so we wouldn't have met if you don't draft!

e; Streaming a single elim cube here: http://www.twitch.tv/tweeternal_witness

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 28, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

PleasantDirge posted:

How hard is this to do with theros block boxes? Is it as accurate as the RTR block box mapping? Do we think that the new m15 frame cards might be randomized better/differently?

I imagine this is why "packs" won are kept record of and doled out on draft nights at all the stores I play at.
They won't randomize it any differently. The card frames and foil thing are just to stop future counterfeits for those cards. They also trademarked(copyright?) their type face a while back.

Unless distribution decides to hire teenagers to randomly shuffle enough boxes that it makes mapping impossible, since it is done by machine currently, then we'll always be able to box from now on. Personally I like the fact that you can get the great stuff out and draft with the dredges but I understand people that used to love buying single packs cannot do that any more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PleasantDirge posted:

Or it's probably just inventory control to make sure packs don't go missing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Detroit goons- what's the name of the place in Garden City with the huge-rear end playing area? I went to a bunch of pre-releases there a decade ago when I was growing up in Ann Arbor. I think it might be Pandaemonium?

Veyrall posted:

Just give it the props it deserves. There are more than a couple lurkers in the thread who're probably from your area.

I also don't think I have any goons in my area, but this post makes me want to give a shout-out to New Game in Town in Dekalb, IL which is a big part of why I got back into Magic last summer because it's a cool store run by cool dudes. I'm a little bummed that the Gaming Goat opened a store down the street because the Goat is a lot bigger and I'll be sad if they take away New Game's business.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BizarroAzrael posted:

Regarding the Spirit of the Labyrinth problem, can't you just do everything else, play the Maniac, and cycle Street Wraith in the next upkeep? Or are there enough Slaughter Pacts out there that you can't rely on that?

You gave them an untap, which is enough for them to swords your lab maniac. So, you'd want to hold on to your street wraith until your draw step (so they can't kill your lab maniac in response to a draw effect). But, often you've got a pact trigger coming up, so that's not an option, so all you can do is cycle street wraith on their upkeep and hope they don't have removal.

I also consider the Cerberus kill to be overall less consistent, simply because you get a lot less wiggle room with regards to cabal therapies, and not being able to do things like put wild cantor under a chrome mox. I really don't think that the times that it works are worth having one of your kill cards be a cycler. You also have to devote more board slots to show and tell, which were previous spent on the giant solifuge trick and the extra narcomoeba, which might be useful for bringing in against swords heavy decks (but really it was only there because there weren't enough actual good sideboard cards in all of magic, so that got put there).

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Saltire Games in Indianapolis is a cool store. Play there, the owner is super cool yet runs a very tight ship. It's clean, welcoming, and he'll throw people out for being disruptive. Sells limited release sets at MSRP instead of gouging people. Told Games Workshop to go gently caress themselves and stopped stocking their product completely after they tried to jerk him around on orders. Not much more you can ask for IMO.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 28, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Today I had a player who was confused that there wasn't a free mulligan rule at the store and also thought the legendary rule was just "One legendary creature in play at a time, period". When I asked him he said he had played sanctioned FNM as recently as Scars and that was how the store ran it. I have no idea what the gently caress.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do you mean to say that he thought that the legend rules was the pre-kamigawa legend rule, or just the pre-m14 legend rule?

e: Wait, he thought there could only ever be one creature with the legendary supertype at a time? Well, that's pretty weird. No idea where he'd get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Literally The Worst posted:

Today I had a player who was confused that there wasn't a free mulligan rule at the store and also thought the legendary rule was just "One legendary creature in play at a time, period". When I asked him he said he had played sanctioned FNM as recently as Scars and that was how the store ran it. I have no idea what the gently caress.

My LGS does one friendly mulligan on FNM. I think the idea is that it is supposed to be a more casual night for newer players.

• Locked thread