Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Arkane posted:

Assuming 2 inches per decade, do you think this is an insurmountable problem for Miami, or even a difficult one? Obvious answer is I think no...
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

Because of what happens when the ocean takes in more heat.

So...what happens?

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Even in spite of that scary graph you posted, the ocean temperature over the past 50 years has risen by .06C. The ocean's capacity for storing heat is magnitudes larger than the atmosphere. Showing atmospheric warming and ocean warming on a graph next each other only serves to mislead. If that graph was expressed in degrees C rather than joules, it would be little different than a straight line.

IF the ocean will take in more heat than we anticipated and therefore climate sensitivity is far lower than what was first thought, the surface will warm less, and all of those doom scenarios can largely be thrown out of the window.

down with slavery posted:

No, because I look at the climate change problem(and really- it's not just about climate but about our economic systems and ideologies) from a holistic perspective where surface air temperatures are not the only issue worth talking about.

There's a shocker.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Arkane posted:

IF the ocean will take in more heat than we anticipated and therefore climate sensitivity is far lower than what was first thought, the surface will warm less, and all of those doom scenarios can largely be thrown out of the window.

Not really, because all the fish will be dead.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not really, because all the fish will be dead.

Notably because the food chain collapsed as a result of co2 acidification. The warmer oceans will just be another kick in the face to the ocean. I suspect it will send a few hurricanes our way to remind us of what warmer ocean water means.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

whaddya mean a few inches of water or a few degrees is harmless. you don't see me complaining if the room's 75 degrees instead of 72 or if there's some puddles outside :smuggo:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Arkane posted:

I read a lot of climate stuff.
Consider the overwhelming scientific consensus and data showing the only true trend is that past IPCC estimates of warming and arctic ice loss have been greatly under-estimated countered, boys. :smug:

Edit: Sorry two posts in a row with snark ending in the smug emoticon is bad form but gently caress, it's Arkane. It's not as if a detailed rebuttal would go anywhere.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 26, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Consider the overwhelming scientific consensus and data showing the only true trend is that past IPCC estimates of warming and arctic ice loss have been greatly under-estimated countered, boys. :smug:

You're right on arctic sea ice, but wrong on everything else. Why reference the IPCC and scientific consensus if you don't know what they say? Step your citation game up.

Speaking of math & reading climate stuff, FiveThirtyEight/ESPN hired Roger Pielke Jr. for their climate postings. Very smart guy, but this hire has pissed off the alarmists to say the least. He has committed the unspeakable crime of publishing multiple papers that demonstrate there hasn't been an increase in extreme weather. I shuddered while typing that sentence...what a piece of poo poo!

Arkane fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 26, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
"Alarmists" - really, in 2014? That's still being used? Wow.

His hire has pissed off actual climate scientists of course, due in no small part to poo poo like this:

quote:

James Annan, another climate scientist, has written numerous takedowns of Pielke’s flawed analyses. “There’s obviously a simple conceptual misunderstanding underlying Roger’s attempts at analysis,” Annan observed. For example, Annan debunked a 2008 post by Pielke that called into question whether actual observed trends are consistent with the climate models employed by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in its projections. Pielke concludes that they are inconsistent, but Annan is quick to point out the lack of a foundation on which to base that claim. “I challenged this obvious absurdity and repeatedly asked him to back it up with a calculation,” Annan wrote. “After a lot of ducking and weaving, about the 30th comment under the post, he eventually admits ‘I honestly don’t know what the proper test is.’

quote:

And in a rather comical error, Australian scientist Tim Lambert noted that a Pielke blog post claiming “there were 1,264 times as many news stories about a Michael Mann study that suggests that hurricanes are at a 1,000 year high as about a Chris Landsea study that found no increase in hurricanes over the past century” was based on a Google search that included results for a film director named Michael Mann. “Soon after I posted this, Pielke finally made a correction, allowing that being out by a couple of orders of magnitude was a ‘bit sloppy,’” Lambert wrote.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The errant Google overestimation is just whatever, but I wonder what Annan would say now about climate model fidelity 6 years later. Given his comments on climate sensitivity, I'm guessing Annan has had a change of heart on that front. Pielke gets the last laugh there.

The criticisms all look like a slap fight. The Holdren spat that played out on Twitter was another slap fight. Silly stuff, purely driven by the fact that they dislike his work.

Funnily enough, Michael Mann is the worst transgressor in terms of deceit, and they treat him like a deity.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Arkane posted:

So...what happens?

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Even in spite of that scary graph you posted, the ocean temperature over the past 50 years has risen by .06C. The ocean's capacity for storing heat is magnitudes larger than the atmosphere. Showing atmospheric warming and ocean warming on a graph next each other only serves to mislead. If that graph was expressed in degrees C rather than joules, it would be little different than a straight line.

There's a shocker.

This is beautiful because with no effort except following the link you posted:

The citation Arkane did not read carefully posted:

This is consistent with the comparison by Roemmich and Gilson (2009) of Argo data with the global temperature time-series of Levitus et al (2005), finding a warming of the 0 - 2000 m ocean by 0.06°C since the (pre-XBT) early 1960's.
yet you somehow completely forgot to mention the 0 - 2000m part. What's the average depth of the ocean? 3600m. The assumption that 2000m represents the entire ocean might even be reasonable, until you look at the temperature profile of the first 2000m. Do you seriously think an average like this is meaningful, and useful to cite as an authoritative figure on the ocean's temperature change? In your post, you attribute the 0.06 C increase in temperature to the entire ocean when that is nowhere near true. It's incredibly dishonest and that's why it feels like everyone is jumping on you when you post.

edit: for clarity, I have no stake in this argument, and I'm not trying to make a case about the last 14 years or ocean absorption of heat. Just pointing out that this particular line of argument is pretty dishonest

Phayray fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 26, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't really get your point. I'm comparing apples to apples. This graph is based on ARGO data, and I cited the ARGO data that backed up the study. I'm not aware of any other way that worldwide ocean temperature beyond the surface is measured (or attempted to be measured) other than ARGO floats. The point I was making with this graph...

is that if you convert the OHC from joules to degrees celsius, it represents a temperature increase in the oceans of .06C. So one can easily be misled that this amount of heat is warming the oceans dangerously when that is not the case.

I also think the implication in your criticism is that the 2000+m ocean could be changing at a markedly different rate. But there's no reason to think that is the case? I think you can even look at the heat increase in the upper 700m and the heat increase in the 700m-2000m and correctly assume that the heat transfer to the 2000m+ depths is probably lower still. It could be that, factoring in that additional volume, were we able to measure it, the average temperature of the ocean would be increasing by much less than .06C/50 years.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mauna Loa Observatory is reading CO2 at 400ppm again - almost two months earlier than last year. Good job everyone!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_25397460/boulder-scientists-report-record-early-high-co2-readings

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TACD posted:

Mauna Loa Observatory is reading CO2 at 400ppm again - almost two months earlier than last year. Good job everyone!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_25397460/boulder-scientists-report-record-early-high-co2-readings

Excuse me but there's snow on the ground today. Checkmate, science.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Does turning the ocean into a soup of plastic and trash count as climate change? http://m.vice.com/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sadus posted:

Does turning the ocean into a soup of plastic and trash count as climate change? http://m.vice.com/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

Nope, just plain old-fashioned pollution. We are loving up ecosystems in multiple ways :sun:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sadus posted:

The Pacific trash vortex is frightening and this is an good article to forward to non-sciencey friends, but I don't care for his attempt to frame himself as some sort of neutral party 'above' the debate with this sort of poo poo:

quote:

The problem with all the bravado on both sides of the ecology debate is that nobody really knows what they’re talking about.
Acting as if we can only know what we have personally witnessed is the same stupid tactic Creationists use, and it's not helpful to the perception of science.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't find this on the last few pages. Not sure if this belongs here or rather in the "pseudoscience" thread.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00293/full
(note comment section)

1. Researchers publish article about co-occurence of conspiracy theory belief (if you believe in one dumb thing, you tend to believe in others)
2. Conspiracy theory believers start blogging angrily, including conspiracy theory-like ideas about the original article
3. Researchers publish an article about the fact that the reactions to an article about conspiracy theories contain conspiracy theories
4. Conspiracy theorists threaten legal action against the publisher of the article in 4.
5. Publisher retracts article in 4., not conceding any scientific or ethical considerations, but hinting at the legal threat

I personally am hoping for some sort of Streisand effect.

One of the links to the retracted article:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/files/2014/03/fpsyg-04-00073.pdf
(Creative Commons)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TACD posted:

The Pacific trash vortex is frightening and this is an good article to forward to non-sciencey friends, but I don't care for his attempt to frame himself as some sort of neutral party 'above' the debate with this sort of poo poo

That's pretty standard Vice bullshit (acting to be the only neutral and well-informed party in a debate of radicals and ignorants), and its always annoying.

The article is pretty good besides this, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That situation has actually gotten much, much worse since the tsunami hit Japan. It basically dragged everything back out with it and now there's stuff up to and including whole houses just floating out there, along with god knows what kinds of chemicals.

I posted this before but since we're on the topic again...

quote:

IT was the silence that made this voyage different from all of those before it.

Not the absence of sound, exactly.

The wind still whipped the sails and whistled in the rigging. The waves still sloshed against the fibreglass hull.

And there were plenty of other noises: muffled thuds and bumps and scrapes as the boat knocked against pieces of debris.

What was missing was the cries of the seabirds which, on all previous similar voyages, had surrounded the boat.

The birds were missing because the fish were missing.

Exactly 10 years before, when Newcastle yachtsman Ivan Macfadyen had sailed exactly the same course from Melbourne to Osaka, all he'd had to do to catch a fish from the ocean between Brisbane and Japan was throw out a baited line.

"There was not one of the 28 days on that portion of the trip when we didn't catch a good-sized fish to cook up and eat with some rice," Macfadyen recalled.

But this time, on that whole long leg of sea journey, the total catch was two.

No fish. No birds. Hardly a sign of life at all.

"In years gone by I'd gotten used to all the birds and their noises," he said.

"They'd be following the boat, sometimes resting on the mast before taking off again. You'd see flocks of them wheeling over the surface of the sea in the distance, feeding on pilchards."

But in March and April this year, only silence and desolation surrounded his boat, Funnel Web, as it sped across the surface of a haunted ocean.

North of the equator, up above New Guinea, the ocean-racers saw a big fishing boat working a reef in the distance.

"All day it was there, trawling back and forth. It was a big ship, like a mother-ship," he said.

And all night it worked too, under bright floodlights. And in the morning Macfadyen was awoken by his crewman calling out, urgently, that the ship had launched a speedboat.

"Obviously I was worried. We were unarmed and pirates are a real worry in those waters. I thought, if these guys had weapons then we were in deep trouble."

But they weren't pirates, not in the conventional sense, at least. The speedboat came alongside and the Melanesian men aboard offered gifts of fruit and jars of jam and preserves.

"And they gave us five big sugar-bags full of fish," he said.

"They were good, big fish, of all kinds. Some were fresh, but others had obviously been in the sun for a while.

"We told them there was no way we could possibly use all those fish. There were just two of us, with no real place to store or keep them. They just shrugged and told us to tip them overboard. That's what they would have done with them anyway, they said.

"They told us that his was just a small fraction of one day's by-catch. That they were only interested in tuna and to them, everything else was rubbish. It was all killed, all dumped. They just trawled that reef day and night and stripped it of every living thing."

Macfadyen felt sick to his heart. That was one fishing boat among countless more working unseen beyond the horizon, many of them doing exactly the same thing.

No wonder the sea was dead. No wonder his baited lines caught nothing. There was nothing to catch.

If that sounds depressing, it only got worse.

The next leg of the long voyage was from Osaka to San Francisco and for most of that trip the desolation was tinged with nauseous horror and a degree of fear.

"After we left Japan, it felt as if the ocean itself was dead," Macfadyen said.

"We hardly saw any living things. We saw one whale, sort of rolling helplessly on the surface with what looked like a big tumour on its head. It was pretty sickening.

"I've done a lot of miles on the ocean in my life and I'm used to seeing turtles, dolphins, sharks and big flurries of feeding birds. But this time, for 3000 nautical miles there was nothing alive to be seen."

In place of the missing life was garbage in astounding volumes.

"Part of it was the aftermath of the tsunami that hit Japan a couple of years ago. The wave came in over the land, picked up an unbelievable load of stuff and carried it out to sea. And it's still out there, everywhere you look."

Ivan's brother, Glenn, who boarded at Hawaii for the run into the United States, marvelled at the "thousands on thousands" of yellow plastic buoys. The huge tangles of synthetic rope, fishing lines and nets. Pieces of polystyrene foam by the million. And slicks of oil and petrol, everywhere.

Countless hundreds of wooden power poles are out there, snapped off by the killer wave and still trailing their wires in the middle of the sea.

"In years gone by, when you were becalmed by lack of wind, you'd just start your engine and motor on," Ivan said.

Not this time.

"In a lot of places we couldn't start our motor for fear of entangling the propeller in the mass of pieces of rope and cable. That's an unheard of situation, out in the ocean.

"If we did decide to motor we couldn't do it at night, only in the daytime with a lookout on the bow, watching for rubbish.

"On the bow, in the waters above Hawaii, you could see right down into the depths. I could see that the debris isn't just on the surface, it's all the way down. And it's all sizes, from a soft-drink bottle to pieces the size of a big car or truck.

"We saw a factory chimney sticking out of the water, with some kind of boiler thing still attached below the surface. We saw a big container-type thing, just rolling over and over on the waves.

"We were weaving around these pieces of debris. It was like sailing through a garbage tip.

"Below decks you were constantly hearing things hitting against the hull, and you were constantly afraid of hitting something really big. As it was, the hull was scratched and dented all over the place from bits and pieces we never saw."

Plastic was ubiquitous. Bottles, bags and every kind of throwaway domestic item you can imagine, from broken chairs to dustpans, toys and utensils.

And something else. The boat's vivid yellow paint job, never faded by sun or sea in years gone past, reacted with something in the water off Japan, losing its sheen in a strange and unprecedented way.

BACK in Newcastle, Ivan Macfadyen is still coming to terms with the shock and horror of the voyage.

"The ocean is broken," he said, shaking his head in stunned disbelief.

Recognising the problem is vast, and that no organisations or governments appear to have a particular interest in doing anything about it, Macfadyen is looking for ideas.

He plans to lobby government ministers, hoping they might help.

More immediately, he will approach the organisers of Australia's major ocean races, trying to enlist yachties into an international scheme that uses volunteer yachtsmen to monitor debris and marine life.

Macfadyen signed up to this scheme while he was in the US, responding to an approach by US academics who asked yachties to fill in daily survey forms and collect samples for radiation testing - a significant concern in the wake of the tsunami and consequent nuclear power station failure in Japan.

"I asked them why don't we push for a fleet to go and clean up the mess," he said.

"But they said they'd calculated that the environmental damage from burning the fuel to do that job would be worse than just leaving the debris there."
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

It's long and poorly formatted but you really ought to at least skim it. :smith:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TACD posted:

The Pacific trash vortex is frightening and this is an good article to forward to non-sciencey friends, but I don't care for his attempt to frame himself as some sort of neutral party 'above' the debate with this sort of poo poo:
Acting as if we can only know what we have personally witnessed is the same stupid tactic Creationists use, and it's not helpful to the perception of science.

My ex GF is a marine biologist who spends a lot of time out in the ocean doing something or other with cephlopods (I think?) She reckons the last few years crap floating about in the ocean has gone through the roof.

West Australia has a low population with 90%+ of the coast being unpopulated, and we've got pretty tight environmental regulations here, so I'm not sure where its all coming from, although its plausible that its coming from the americas and being dragged along in currents. Its unlikely to be Tsunami related though, because the Indian ocean just is in the wrong place for those sorts of currents.

Whatever the case is, its not good.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The more I read and hear about the growing issue of what is, essentially, the complete destruction of our oceans and the absolutely zero amount of gently caress given by any government in a position to do anything about it, the less I feel like there is any going back. Being alive to witness the slow and agonizing death of the marine ecosystem wasn't the major milestone I was looking forward to. I was hoping it was going to be the colonization of Mars. :smith:

Does DnD have a "Good News Only" feel-good thread? Because goddamn if it doesn't desperately need one.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Rhjamiz posted:

The more I read and hear about the growing issue of what is, essentially, the complete destruction of our oceans and the absolutely zero amount of gently caress given by any government in a position to do anything about it, the less I feel like there is any going back. Being alive to witness the slow and agonizing death of the marine ecosystem wasn't the major milestone I was looking forward to. I was hoping it was going to be the colonization of Mars. :smith:

Does DnD have a "Good News Only" feel-good thread? Because goddamn if it doesn't desperately need one.

I recommend the feelgood- and cat threads in PYF, they always help me to collect myself after reading more about the future. I'm also considering to buy "Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in Without Going Crazy", maybe anybody here has read it and can give a recommendation?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Arkane posted:

Yeah, I agree with Bjorn Lomborg virtually 100% in principle on climate policies as they relate the developing world.
You have displayed about as much knowledge about economics and the developing world as you have about climatology ITT, which is nil. No wonder you'd cheerlead a joke the size of Lomborg without batting an eyelid.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cingulate posted:

Couldn't find this on the last few pages. Not sure if this belongs here or rather in the "pseudoscience" thread.
Yea, this is an upsetting mix of climate denialists unable to refute science highlighting how crazy they are using another creationist tactic and trying to shut down scientific output they don't like, and a miserable cowardly journal that would rather censor itself and set a damaging precedent than let these wackos publically humiliate themselves in a court of law.

"Climate change is a real and present danger and we must stop at nothing to stop it, unless that means attracting any sort of attention whatsoever, oh please don't hurt me :cry:"

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
If the issue was just that they named names, they can presumably resubmit with individuals' names removed (which they probably should have done in the first place).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

Yea, this is an upsetting mix of climate denialists unable to refute science highlighting how crazy they are using another creationist tactic and trying to shut down scientific output they don't like, and a miserable cowardly journal that would rather censor itself and set a damaging precedent than let these wackos publically humiliate themselves in a court of law.

"Climate change is a real and present danger and we must stop at nothing to stop it, unless that means attracting any sort of attention whatsoever, oh please don't hurt me :cry:"
Yes, I probably should have clarified that climate change "skepticism" is one of the conspiracy theories the authors investigate, and that the responses, including seemingly the legal threat, come mostly from climate change deniers.

I don't quite understand why Frontiers gave in to this. They just got more or less bought by Nature, surely Nature can afford a lawyer.

Paper Mac posted:

If the issue was just that they named names, they can presumably resubmit with individuals' names removed (which they probably should have done in the first place).
I hope this happens, and I hope Frontiers doesn't charge them for round 2.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Cingulate posted:

I don't quite understand why Frontiers gave in to this. They just got more or less bought by Nature, surely Nature can afford a lawyer.

NPG definitely has the resources to deal with this kind of thing, which makes me think that they ran it by a lawyer who told them they weren't going to fare well in one or more of the jurisdictions they could be sued in. I'm not sure what the content of the paper was, but if they were giving the real names of individuals, that wouldn't surprise me.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In table 3 (p.6) of the Recursive Fury paper, they name originators of specific claims by name.
Admittedly, that's not what I'd intuitively consider proper for serious academic work.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Climate denialism is one thing but this claim of concern for the global poor is just too much. Right wing economic ideology ,call it libertarian or whatever you want, is difficult to live with if you accept the scientific consensus. Thats the real reason some people are so bitterly opposed to the idea.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

bpower posted:

Climate denialism is one thing but this claim of concern for the global poor is just too much. Right wing economic ideology ,call it libertarian or whatever you want, is difficult to live with if you accept the scientific consensus. Thats the real reason some people are so bitterly opposed to the idea.

No fortress stands forever.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Climate Inaction to be 'Catastrophic'

quote:

Michel Jarraud, secretary-general of the World Meteorological Organization, said the report was based on more than 12,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies. He said this document was "the most solid evidence you can get in any scientific discipline".

Boy, imagine how loving ignorant and/or ideologically rigid you would be to still dispute the severity of the situation at this point huh?

I mean really, can you image how much of an Ass such a person would be? A complete prehistoric reactionary, loving kook, an absolute nonsensical, walking talking pile of human effluence.

I can't image how such a person lives with themselves, can you?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its okay, guys the NIPCC says that carbon dioxide is a non polluting greenhouse gas that is making the planet greener. Such alarmism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I mean really, can you image how much of an Ass such a person would be? A complete prehistoric reactionary, loving kook, an absolute nonsensical, walking talking pile of human effluence.
What are you, twelve? What's the point of this?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Even trolls get hungry.

I've been fetal and drinking Jack Daniels ever since I read that article in the Nation last December. It was good while it lasted guys.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's a great way to get a discussion of ocean garbage going: try and find a plane in an area of ocean few hang around in let alone visit.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone have a direct link to the full report?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Let's suppose for a moment that people get good and scared enough to get off their assess and effect major change. This past year with its polar vortex and horrible flooding, for example. Best-case scenario it for me, can we unfuck this world? Assume the next world leaders' big project is getting everyone to get electric cars and solar generators or something.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Speedball posted:

Let's suppose for a moment that people get good and scared enough to get off their assess and effect major change. This past year with its polar vortex and horrible flooding, for example. Best-case scenario it for me, can we unfuck this world? Assume the next world leaders' big project is getting everyone to get electric cars and solar generators or something.

Sure, we haven't hit runaway poo poo like completely thawed Siberian permafrost yet. Problem is, it's about as likely as the typical goon getting to go to Mars this year.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
https://www.dropbox.com/s/poymokvhrwwx5sp/IPCC_WG2AR5_SPM_Approved.pdf

Here is the end of March version. Sounds like it is still being revised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Arkane posted:

is that if you convert the OHC from joules to degrees celsius, it represents a temperature increase in the oceans of .06C. So one can easily be misled that this amount of heat is warming the oceans dangerously when that is not the case.

It actually represents a temperature increase of 0.2C in the top 700m, and 0.05C in the 700m to 2000m range. I didn't really expect you to do math correctly, so I'm glad I did it myself!

There is 3.6e14m2 of ocean surface area. In the top 700m that means 2.5e20kg of water has been heated by a fifth of a degree. That is a dangerous thing.

• Locked thread