Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Holy crap a Laurel + Huntress episode and it was actually good. :stare:

Things I liked:

Seeing Arrow/Sarah/Roy working together.
Laurel not recognizing her own sister from two feet away. (I can recognize people I know well from behind, let alone face to face with a tiny mask. :D At least Arrow tries to look down/to the side a bit for the brilliant detective lance.)
Huntress didn't make me want to shoot myself.
Laurel didn't make me want to shoot myself.
Supercop jumping off a building screaming, "YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW!"

Things I didn't like:

Felicity and Diggle only got one funny interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think main reason why Huntress worked a lot better this time is because she was largely portrayed as an out and out villain or antagonist. I can't remember her last appearance too well but I vaguely recall that most of the prior episode treated her more sympathetically (anti hero) but her rationale seemed so crazy that Oliver's viewpoint didn't ring true. This time the whole thing worked far better, probably because she's played straight as a villain with mooks and hostages. The other thing which probably helps a lot is Oliver's recent 'no killing' (mostly) stance, which actually clearly separates them now and also creates more tension with Sarah. I guess Huntress has always been used in the show as the most obvious parallel to Oliver so his development in this respect retrospectively makes their relationship more understandable.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I enjoyed this episode. Huntress is perfect for the next suicide squad episode.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Lady Galaga posted:

Ah. The Krillin effect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lance still doesn't know Ollie = Arrow, Laurel didn't even figure out Black Canary when it's just an eyemask separating her from Sara.

Yeah, this was pretty stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they had done it a bit earlier it could work. She was gone for 6 years after all.

But they've been hanging out pretty closely lately.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The last two episodes haven't done it for me.

I place part of the blame on that trailer. It made it seem like both the Suicide Squad and the Huntress would be connected with Slade, which got me really hyped.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deakul posted:

Bad episode!

But next episode's tagline has to be the new thread title.

GET SLADE
OR
GET SLAYED!
:hehe:

Why isn't the new thread title this?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
With the mask thing I think you just have to accept that it's a comic book show and in the comics a tiny domino mask is an effective disguise. There are lots of reasons to think that Det. Lance probably knows the Arrow is Ollie but that's outside of his disguise, which has never been iron clad.

I actually like that Ollie is not being portrayed as knowing how to handle being Roy's 'mentor' - as the character pointed out this week, he's really just started himself at this hero jag and it makes sense that he screwed it up with Huntress and is making mistakes with Roy. What will be interesting will be to see if he can salvage things now that he has (unwittingly) played Thea right into Slade's hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Helena still showing up in the mask while literally everyone used her first name just got funnier as it went on.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the Suicide Squad episode, but didn't care so much for this one. Though it didn't help that i had completely forgotten that the Huntress character existed. Laurel was pretty good though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jscolon2.0 posted:

"Ollie, you're the only one that doesn't keep secrets from me."

The meltdown from this is going to be epic. :suspense:

I haven't watched the original Huntress episodes since they aired, but I kind of feel she was handled a bit better this time. Still shallow, still a one-note psychopath, but the wrap-up leaves room to turn the character around a little. Maybe.

e: Can you imagine Slade just sitting Thea down and going "I have a little story to tell you. It's about a boy and an island..."

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 27, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That one cop was amazing and he need to be in more episodes. "Vigilantes aren't above the law!" *leaps through window, indiscriminately firing automatic weapon*

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I think it would be neat to setup the Vigilante cop as Lock-Up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock-Up_%28comics%29

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The final episodes for this series - years later - HAS to involve Oliver transporting the entire supporting cast away to the Island via parachute drop [a la the first episode of this season] and then having them sit in a circle around a campfire during sunset & have him explain his back story during a montage. No words, just music and reaction. The facial expressions from everybody who doesn't know his secret at this point will be epic.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Why are people still claiming Lance knows that Ollie is Arrow? If he knew he wouldn't have attempted to call Arrow to bring him up to speed, he'd have just given Ollie a knowing nod. There's no way they're writing it that he's *so* dead-set on keeping up the charade that he'd do this.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Because it's funny.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ville Valo posted:

Why are people still claiming Lance knows that Ollie is Arrow? If he knew he wouldn't have attempted to call Arrow to bring him up to speed, he'd have just given Ollie a knowing nod. There's no way they're writing it that he's *so* dead-set on keeping up the charade that he'd do this.

Because he figured out Black Canary the instant they got a face to face.

And it's funny to think about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

evenworse username posted:

With the mask thing I think you just have to accept that it's a comic book show and in the comics a tiny domino mask is an effective disguise. There are lots of reasons to think that Det. Lance probably knows the Arrow is Ollie but that's outside of his disguise, which has never been iron clad.

It's funny that the creators of this show also wrote the Green Lantern movie which had this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xfpQcKl5M&t=44s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That cop was seriously the best part of this episode, when he jump into that mexican stand off scene and just started shooting everywhere I laughed for a full minute.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mr.capps posted:

That cop was seriously the best part of this episode, when he jump into that mexican stand off scene and just started shooting everywhere I laughed for a full minute.

When he told that other teams to hold their position, I knew what was going to happen. I can't process how he thought that'd be a good idea (too much Call of Duty maybe?) but I knew.

This episode didn't really have the wow factor to it. In fact, I think Arrow is getting a bit more laid back in general, or I'm just used to the pacing now. The Promise was great, and I enjoyed most of Suicide Squad and this episode. But I didn't feel the edge of my seat excitement I used to.

Laurel wasn't bad, but she wasn't good either. And her blackmail at the end was just eye-rollingly contrived. Still hoping she becomes Ravager, but at this rate, Thea is gonna be taking that honor. Laurel went back from being a character to being a plot device this episode.

I'm glad Huntress has had her moment of clarity though. Her next appearance should be closer to her 'proper' place, and that makes me happy.

And Felicity spinning in her chair looking pleased with herself while riffing on Oliver was the highlight. So much smug.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like to imagine that SWAT Captain Renegade is actually Cliff from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118301/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_131 after getting into a career in law enforcement.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

mr.capps posted:

It was probably the hardest I've ever laughed watching Arrow, really.

edit: Second hardest was Laurel's 'blackmail' conversation. The whole thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of things to laugh at, what was it that Roy crushed at the end to show he so super-mad? It looked like a nearly finished roll of duct tape they threw some glass breaking sound effect over.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of things to laugh at, what was it that Roy crushed at the end to show he so super-mad? It looked like a nearly finished roll of duct tape they threw some glass breaking sound effect over.

The bracelet he gave Thea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked Laurel's blackmail conversation. She was completely justified. "You idiots just got dozens of people taken hostage including me, and several cops killed. gently caress you I'm fired. I don't think so."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the blackmail thing was a bit silly, especially considering that the DA's office already fired the guy who single-handedly and secretly set the whole thing up. Even if they did give a poo poo about PR for some reason, they've already taken care of the problem. But at least it gives Laurel something to do again, and the fact that they actually used her firing as a way to set up the fact that she was going to AA meetings because it was all she had was pretty clever. It would've been easy to ignore that and pretend that being unemployed didn't have an effect on her, so I'm glad they acknowledged it.

Other than that, really fun episode apart from the Roy/Thea drama. It feels weird to have the show drag something out (Roy's condition and the fact that he's very obviously going to either lose the Mirakuru magic or learn how to control it at some point) when everything else gets handled so quickly. Hopefully that whole thing was just meant to set up Slade becoming close to Thea, which is awesome because it will hopefully lead to a Manu Bennett vs Barrowman showdown.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I know who Bruno Mannheim is, but who the hell is Hugo Mannheim? Does he lead Hintergang?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

VDay posted:

Other than that, really fun episode apart from the Roy/Thea drama. It feels weird to have the show drag something out (Roy's condition and the fact that he's very obviously going to either lose the Mirakuru magic or learn how to control it at some point) when everything else gets handled so quickly. Hopefully that whole thing was just meant to set up Slade becoming close to Thea, which is awesome because it will hopefully lead to a Manu Bennett vs Barrowman showdown.

It's definitely the second stupidest dramatic wrinkle of the season, forcing a roided-out teenager who's barely holding it together to step away from the one humanizing force in his life.

The first is Slade's belief that Ollie was complicit in Shado's murder. Ollie offered himself up instead of Shado *or* Sara; the only reason for any character to believe otherwise is narrative contrivance.

But yeah, I sure hope there's some Merlyn / Deathstroke villain fighting happening. That sounds wonderful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no way that Lance doesn't know Oliver is Arrow, seriously he'd have to be borderline retarded. He called the Arrow and Oliver's phone rang. "It's my mom" . Yeah right.

Lance totally knows.

Also, we need more Supercop. Not Less MORE!!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 27, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

There's no way that Lance doesn't know Oliver is Arrow, seriously he'd have to be borderline retarded. He called the Arrow and Oliver's phone rang. "It's my mom" . Yeah right.

Lance totally knows.

Also, we need more Supercop. Not Less MORE!!

Ahaha, I totally missed that part. If they make Lance surprised in the least if it ever actually gets confirmed for him then I'll be very disappointed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Xealot posted:

It's definitely the second stupidest dramatic wrinkle of the season, forcing a roided-out teenager who's barely holding it together to step away from the one humanizing force in his life.

The first is Slade's belief that Ollie was complicit in Shado's murder. Ollie offered himself up instead of Shado *or* Sara; the only reason for any character to believe otherwise is narrative contrivance.

That does piss me off every time it's brought up. Though I guess it's like Harvey getting upset at Gordon when the Joker/Gangsters kidnapped and tied him and Rachel up in Dark Knight.... just something to move the plot and make a villain.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Xealot posted:

It's especially silly because Ollie just went through the whole "I'm breaking up with you to keep you safe" thing with Sara literally an episode ago, where he supposedly learned that keeping people away is stupid and doesn't actually keep them safe. I know it's a different situation because Roy is a danger to himself, but it's still a bit tedious that they're using that reasoning yet again. Especially considering the fact that Roy's already tried to break up with Thea before so this just seems extra forced.

Hollismason posted:

Lance totally knows.

"Well they keep showing us scene after scene where he clearly doesn't know, so obviously that's a double-bluff and he obviously knows!"

It's a comic book TV show. He doesn't know, let it go.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

VDay posted:

"Well they keep showing us scene after scene where he clearly doesn't know, so obviously that's a double-bluff and he obviously knows!"

It's a comic book TV show. He doesn't know, let it go.

I think its most likely a little bit of both. They know its hard to have the characters interacting so closely without Lance looking stupid, so they are just going to do it for a while, then eventually they'll hand-wave it all away by pretending he was supposed to have known all along. They're having their cake and eating it too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Burning_Monk posted:

That does piss me off every time it's brought up. Though I guess it's like Harvey getting upset at Gordon when the Joker/Gangsters kidnapped and tied him and Rachel up in Dark Knight.... just something to move the plot and make a villain.

And if it was just Slade's belief, that wouldn't bother me. He's literally insane and deeply paranoid, so he could believe all kinds of crazy things and it wouldn't ring particularly false.

The issue is that Ollie is compelled by Ivo's logic on this point, as well. In the flashback, where Ollie confronts Ivo on the Amazo, it's the fact that Ollie doesn't speak up that bothers me. "I may have shot her, Oliver, but by throwing yourself in front of Sara, you aimed the gun!" What? He didn't even choose. If anything, the choice he made was for himself to die. Which is something Ollie would probably have explained in that scene if it wasn't necessary to the plot for Slade to misunderstand.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

VDay posted:

Yeah the blackmail thing was a bit silly, especially considering that the DA's office already fired the guy who single-handedly and secretly set the whole thing up. Even if they did give a poo poo about PR for some reason, they've already taken care of the problem. But at least it gives Laurel something to do again, and the fact that they actually used her firing as a way to set up the fact that she was going to AA meetings because it was all she had was pretty clever. It would've been easy to ignore that and pretend that being unemployed didn't have an effect on her, so I'm glad they acknowledged it.

We don't know this, that was just the boss lady's line. He could have been the cutout man, and they tossed him under the bus to say 'oh hey see? we had nothing to do with this' just as easily as it having been his idea to begin with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it's important to remember that Slade is CCRrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzy. So that may explain his nonsensical rage toward Oliver which makes no sense. Like at all, any person with a modicum of intelligence wouldn't blame Oliver.

I dig the hell out of the show but they need to get away from Brooding Oliver, serioously.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hollismason posted:

Why Ollie doesn't have a separate phone for his Arrow endeavors if beyond me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

teagone posted:

Why Ollie doesn't have a separate phone for his Arrow endeavors if beyond me.

He does. His arrowphone rang so he lied and pretended it was his normal phone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did he actually have the caller ID set to his mother or anything? I didn't see what it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I think he did but it was still TOO close for comfort.

• Locked thread