Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

NikkolasKing posted:

Some of Tidus' issues with Jecht are legit. Jecht was an alcoholic and actually told his six-year-old son he couldn't accomplish something because he could never be as good as his old man. These problems were exaggerated by the fact Tidus' mom was the most Dependent Woman Ever and paid more attention to her husband than her child and when her husband was lost, she gave up on life, even though she had a young child to care for.

I can buy Jecht being a well-meaning guy but his drug problems and ego and not knowing how to be a father just combined to give Tidus all the wrong impressions of his character, and then his mom made everything worse.

Yea I was going to mention this. It's pretty much Tidus' mom constantly demanding Jecht's attention. He's clearly an rear end in a top hat but Tidus' mother played a decent role in some of the things Tidus blames on Jecht.

And for those of you who thing Gregg Berger (Jecht) sounds like an rear end in a top hat I will remind you he voices Odie the dog in the Garfield tv shows. And Cornfed Pig from Duckman.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

After beating the game again for the first time in a few years yesterday something struck me about the ending that hadn't really hit home with me before, namely how much of a dick move it was by Tidus that he knew he was going to disappear and yet didn't tell anyone until 5 seconds before he left, particularly not telling Yuna.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NeoNaoNeo posted:

After beating the game again for the first time in a few years yesterday something struck me about the ending that hadn't really hit home with me before, namely how much of a dick move it was by Tidus that he knew he was going to disappear and yet didn't tell anyone until 5 seconds before he left, particularly not telling Yuna.

No less a dick move than them withholding the fact that Yuna was going to die from him. Turnabout is fair play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Its exactly what Yuna did to him earlier. In fact, there is a near identical scene to the earlier one where he calls her out for being a bad liar where she does the same to him.

I still don't get why we haven't got a Tidus summon in an FF game yet.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I dunno, (endgame spoilers) Yuna is very stubborn and necessary for the plan. I could see her refusing to help, however hypocritical it would be.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

The difference in the Yuna comparison is that their relationship is much different to what it was pre-Bevelle, which is when Tidus was withheld information about her ultimate fate.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
See it's these kind of discussions that make me think that X is really the best worst FF game.

Finally got that drat sigil again. Never again. Never.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

the start of FFX is about a young goofy guy from a big city getting transported 1000 years into the future

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no time travel in X.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

See it's these kind of discussions that make me think that X is really the best worst FF game.

Finally got that drat sigil again. Never again. Never.

I'm going to have to do it again when my wife gets to that part, just like on the PS2 version.

I'll be honest though, Chocobo racing is frustrating but I really dread the Butterfly dance, that's the one that always gave me the most trouble.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

It appears the first non-optional reveal that Yuna is Cid's niece is when you first get the airship. Because that's the first time it's come up for me so far. Wakka says "Wait, he said Yuna's his niece? So she's... Al Bhed? But... Yuna's still Yuna, right?!"

Oh, Wakka, you magnificent brain-damaged starfish.

It actually happens way earlier, at Luca, after you save Yuna from the Al Bhed. Yuna asks if there was a man named Cid on the boat that saved Tidus, "because Cid is my uncle."

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Barudak posted:

Well, until Tactics when they're all mysteriously gone and nobody seems to notice or care.

By Tactics they've all been gone for generations, so yeah people probably aren't going to talk about them much. How often do you talk about dinosaurs in the middle of a war?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I personally like the idea of their potentially being a link between FFVII and X although, I believe, it was mostly just the story-writer's sort of headcanon. Like how Shinra, in X-2, mentions harnessing the planet as a power source and such. I can't remember the exact way it was said. Then again I always hold a certain Fondness for VII as my entry into RPGs.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Per the thread's advice I made the trek from Lake Macalania back to Besaid after Spherimorph. Two hours to get to Besaid and back, while running from every battle. :shepface: The encounter rates from the Moonflow on are loving ridiculous.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

By Tactics they've all been gone for generations, so yeah people probably aren't going to talk about them much. How often do you talk about dinosaurs in the middle of a war?

The whole Ivalice non-human genocide story could make some interesting story telling, even if it wouldn't make a good game. I'm pretty sure that if Tactics were being remade to fit into Ivalice properly and not just re-jigged for PSP, they'd probably re-introduce the races to get away from the genocide implications. The game would likely suffer for it of course.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

I do. "This war would be a lot easier if I had a T-Rex to ride."

Aurain posted:

The whole Ivalice non-human genocide story could make some interesting story telling, even if it wouldn't make a good game. I'm pretty sure that if Tactics were being remade to fit into Ivalice properly and not just re-jigged for PSP, they'd probably re-introduce the races to get away from the genocide implications. The game would likely suffer for it of course.
I would be OK with this as long as Ramza and Delita become moogles, kupo.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no time travel in X.

I have no bubble to burst, friend! I was talking about from the players point of view at the beginning of the game, not the overall plot. At least it was one of the first things that came to mind for me when I first played it years ago.

Alternatively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qGVn8fgWA4

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

precision posted:

It appears the first non-optional reveal that Yuna is Cid's niece is when you first get the airship. Because that's the first time it's come up for me so far. Wakka says "Wait, he said Yuna's his niece? So she's... Al Bhed? But... Yuna's still Yuna, right?!"

Oh, Wakka, you magnificent brain-damaged starfish.

If you assume Wakka is Patrick Starr it actually explains a lot.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

With Tactics, and the lack of non-human races, I'm pretty sure the explanation from their (probably pulled out of their rear end five minutes before they wrote it) timeline is that magic in Ivalice had been dying since around FFXII, which those races were tied to much more tightly than humans. There was also a huge cataclysm at some point, which wiped out what remained.

Magic had died even more by the time Vagrant Story comes around (though they can't seem to maintain a consistent position on if that is an Ivalice game or not), and all that's really left by FFTA and A2 is the Gran Grimoire.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
FFXII was done at least partially by the Vagrant Story team so that probably explains that.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Syrant posted:

Yea I was going to mention this. It's pretty much Tidus' mom constantly demanding Jecht's attention. He's clearly an rear end in a top hat but Tidus' mother played a decent role in some of the things Tidus blames on Jecht.

And for those of you who thing Gregg Berger (Jecht) sounds like an rear end in a top hat I will remind you he voices Odie the dog in the Garfield tv shows. And Cornfed Pig from Duckman.

Yeah, but the important thing to remember when talking about Yuna and Tidus's character is that they are both literally 17 year old teenagers. Knowing this makes a lot of their behavior and actions much more understandable. The rest of the party is in their early 20s (aside from Auron, obviously).

ShadeofDante posted:

It's an odd mess of really clever writing and extraordinary world-building along with serious WTF creative choices and nonsensical back story mixed in at the same time. And yet it still remains tied with VI as my second favorite in the series next to VII. Even though I know literally every scene and know exactly what will happen, I still find myself drawn into the storyline and swept up in their adventure. It's probably one of the more suspenseful FF games in that sense.

Also, the soundtrack is still my favorite video game soundtrack ever, even remixed like it is. It's flawless, so much so that it literally may be one of the best parts of the whole game.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 27, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I found a key item in just some random box. :confused: This is the weirdest Final Fantasy.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I really want another Vagrant Story, such a fun game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

I found a key item in just some random box. :confused: This is the weirdest Final Fantasy.

Was it a (something) sigil? That's the poo poo to power up your superweapons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mateo360 posted:

42 games later, I finally have all the Wakka stuff from Blitzball. Never again

You poor fucker. Still, you shoulda read up on the subject. You should only have to play maybe half as many matches if you savescum correctly.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Magic had died even more by the time Vagrant Story comes around (though they can't seem to maintain a consistent position on if that is an Ivalice game or not), and all that's really left by FFTA and A2 is the Gran Grimoire.

The Gran Grimoire is Leá Monde, not a lovely book hiding in the St. Ivalice Public Library system :ssh:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 27, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

fronz posted:

Was it a (something) sigil? That's the poo poo to power up your superweapons.

Mars Crest, I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

Mars Crest, I think.

That's the same thing as a sigil, you need matching sigils and crests to upgrade the weapons.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Mars Crest, I think.

Welcome to the hell that is FFX's ultimate weapons. They're great weapons, but is it worth the time? Sure, you find some in random chests, then others you need to do some of the most unforgiving bullshit in the franchise. :unsmigghh:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ShadeofDante posted:

Welcome to the hell that is FFX's ultimate weapons. They're great weapons, but is it worth the time? Sure, you find some in random chests, then others you need to do some of the most unforgiving bullshit in the franchise. :unsmigghh:

On the other hand, there's pretty much no excuse not to get the Nirvana, Masamune, and Godhand.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

ShadeofDante posted:

I'm really close to just snapping my Vita in half over getting the Sun Sigil from the Chocobo Catcher minigame. I don't know who thought that was a great idea. It seems soo much harder to control the Chocobo on the Vita.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ShadeofDante posted:

Specifically, you find Crests in chests and Sigils from incredible bullshit.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm really close to just snapping my Vita in half over getting the Sun Sigil from the Chocobo Catcher minigame. I don't know who thought that was a great idea. It seems soo much harder to control the Chocobo on the Vita.

I've never been able to do the chocobo thing. Blitzball? Easy. Lightning dodging? A breeze. The butterfly thing? Aggravating, but doable. Never ever managed the chocobo thing. :( I just have made a fake Caladblog and mostly used Tidus as a support character for endgame stuff. I'll try again this time around, but hopefully I can do the Dark Aeon stuff with everyone's weapons but his.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Butterflies never really bothered me:

Chocobo racing also never really bothered me; I remembered reading about it on GameFAQs and such well before I got to that point in the game and how insanely frustrated people got over the stupid bullshit the minigame is built around. So I went into with the mindset of, "The minigame is going to be cheating bullshit, so there's no point in getting mad; just accept that you're going to lose a lot until you finally get it, and then you'll never have to bother with it again."

Lightning dodging, on the other hand, nearly broke me.

195... 196... 197... 19-*ZAP* :smithicide:

Not looking forward to redoing that one on the HD remake. :negative:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress butterflies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I don't understand the big deal about the butterflies, you literally just run in a straight line and pick them up. It's nowhere near as annoying as frog catching in FF9.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The camera angle is completely awful for the butterflies, but eventually you just memorize the pattern that you need to run. It'll even forgive you running into one or two bad butterflies if you really haul rear end. Annoying, but with enough trial and error you'll overcome the horrible camera.

For dodging the lightning bolts, I found it very helpful to turn off the sound, and also kill the lights in the room. Sound just distracts you, and in a dark room those lightning strikes will light up the whole room and become really easy to react to.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm not sure if you're using the stick or the dpad but I'd recommend the dpad. Learn the spots where you can get balloons safely and if you can't get 3-5 in the opening stretch, put the system down and do something else. Watching yourself flail around trying to avoid birds when you've already lost doesn't help your concentration, which you need plenty of to finish that drat game.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah I don't understand the big deal about the butterflies, you literally just run in a straight line and pick them up. It's nowhere near as annoying as frog catching in FF9.

The butterfly game is terrible because the logical location of the butterflies doesn't necessarily align with visible butterfly particles (the particles move, the places you have to step on/avoid don't). Of course once you've memorized or used a map to learn those locations the game's a breeze, but that's still no excuse for it's design.

e: oh and apparently some people's TVs made the good and bad butterflies indistinguishable

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NeoNaoNeo posted:

The difference in the Yuna comparison is that their relationship is much different to what it was pre-Bevelle, which is when Tidus was withheld information about her ultimate fate.

The whole "dream thing" is kinda under-utilized from a character perspective. Tidus finds out he doesn't really exist right before Zanarkand, one of the most emotionally powerful and dramatic moments in the game. For Yuna. Oh sure, everyone gets their moment (and Auron's flashback was really awesome) but this is the end of the line for Yuna's Pilgrimage. She's the star. So the whole twist has its power stolen by something that has been built up the entire game and is done a helluva lot better.

And even after this, we don't get any scenes with Tidus reflecting on the fact he doesn't exist or how he'll die when this is all over. Like you said, he never talks about how he'll die to Yuna or anyone. I would like to hear his thoughts about how he's found love and saved the world but none of it matters because he's gonna die.

Honestly the whole Dream Zanarkand thing wasn't the best handled twist in the game... Maybe it's a translation thing but the terminology the Fayth uses - how he says Jecht and Tidus became "real" after making contact with Sin - makes it sound like everyone else in DZ was an illusion or something. And yet Tidus' Mom still has her soul on the Farplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's not really any meaningful difference between a dream and a person as far as FFX is concerned. As far as the game lets us know, basically everything is made up (at least in part) of Pyreflies, since that is how Unsent become Fiends too. The only real difference with Aeons is that the Fayth are people creating something else instead of themselves.

Edit: I mean Auron is pretty able to visit Dream Zanarkand and it's implied he can do that because he's an unsent so there is even less difference there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 28, 2014