Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smashthedean posted:

I have a tournament coming up on Saturday and I'm debating between two lists:

[33] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device
[29] Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts + Stealth Device
[22] Gamma Squadron Pilot + Concussion Missiles
[16] Backstabber

or

[33] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device
[19] Howlrunner + Determination
[12] Academy Pilot
[12] Academy Pilot
[12] Academy Pilot
[12] Academy Pilot

I think the swarm list is more competitive, but I like playing the first list a little more. I haven't lost a game with either list yet, but I fear going up against Falcons with the first list (though I could switch the Concussions for Clusters maybe?). What do you goons think?

Drop the Gamma to Scimitar and use the points to put PTL on Turr instead of VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

zVxTeflon posted:

Drop the Gamma to Scimitar and use the points to put PTL on Turr instead of VI

Yeah I dunno, I'm a pretty big fan of VI on him. Being able to square off against anyone at PS9 and not have to worry about stress from PtL is pretty nice. I have been struggling with a way to spend those two points though so I might give it a shot.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm really looking forward to Wingman because it'll allow me to run Turr with PtL and still utilise his boost or barrel roll ability. I don't know whether I'd chew up a Saber TIE with it or just go for a Black SQ. TIE.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smashthedean posted:

Yeah I dunno, I'm a pretty big fan of VI on him. Being able to square off against anyone at PS9 and not have to worry about stress from PtL is pretty nice. I have been struggling with a way to spend those two points though so I might give it a shot.

VI means you're banking on the fact that you'll face more Hans, Wedges, Hortons(lol) Darth Vaders ect than you will Rookies, Blues, Daggers, Gold squads, Sabers, Bounty Hunters, Academies ect. Im my experience with tournaments it just doesn't come out that way. Combined with the fact that a single boost or BR wont get you out of nearly as many arcs as Boost BR combined via PTL

Leo Showers posted:

I'm really looking forward to Wingman because it'll allow me to run Turr with PtL and still utilise his boost or barrel roll ability. I don't know whether I'd chew up a Saber TIE with it or just go for a Black SQ. TIE.

You can still utilize his pilot ability with PTL. You just activate PTL during his free BR/Boost rather than in the action phase.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

zVxTeflon posted:

You can still utilize his pilot ability with PTL. You just activate PTL during his free BR/Boost rather than in the action phase.

Holy shitballs I've never used it like this. That pretty much changes everything.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Not that PtL is wrong, but VI also puts Turr at the same PS at Soontir, so that has some advantages.

edit: Which aren't huge, but can help avoid mistakes.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lunatic Pathos posted:

So far its been pretty well balanced. Like anything, there are good tournament builds and bad ones, but the balance is still far better than most games. As for power creep, the first three sets are well balanced. When wave 4 comes out, that might change, as it seems to have ships that are superior to current ones, but it also seems like they might have fair points costs that doesn't make them strictly better to include in a list, especially since so far quantity seems slightly better than quality in this game. The World Championship winners have been 6-7 ships for Imperials and 4-5 ships for Rebels, esp if you count the large ships as two. For wave 1 and 2, imperials were slightly dominant. In wave 3, rebels are slightly ahead, but its not heavily in favor of either and the upcoming stuff looks to keep it that way. On the official forums there's been some whining about rebels getting too much love in the upcoming Rebel Aces compared to the just released Imperial Aces, but Wave 4 looks more exciting for Imps.

None of the expansions are worthless. The weakest are probably TIE Advanced, Y-Wing, and Hawk-290, but:
TIE Advanced is regarded as the worst ship, but it has Darth Vader, the best pilot with the best pilot ability, so its still alright, but only with Vader.
The Y-Wing is only okay generally, but there are builds that make good use of it.
The HWK is a support ship and its a little too easy to kill for that role, but it can still be used well in certain builds.
Furthermore, the Aces sets have already shown that FFG is willing to refresh the meta on the ships that aren't seeing much play by giving them upgrade cards or new pilots that 'fix' them.

Brilliant game. Its my favorite.

edit: Generally folks recommend getting two core sets for economical ship getting and having enough dice, but you will still want the individual X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions for the cards that come in them.

OH, probably the biggest gripe I can think of is: Given upgrade cards come with certain ships. However, they are not always useful only for that ship, and often see their best use on a different one. This can be irritating if you only want to play one faction. For folks who want one of everything anyway, like my wife and I, this is not a big deal.

I realized, after someone else quoted this, that I never responded. Thank you for the indepth response. Apparently both my lady and buddy want to play Rebel so I have no competition for the Empire. Good.....good.

I am contemplating what to grab with the starter as well as a few Republic suggestions too please!
Is the Slave 1 a good empire ship? I am under the impression that is our "large" ship while the republic got the Millennium Falcon
Imperial Aces good purchase?
Lastly whats up with the Shuttles? Lambda-class one for the empire. I was under the impression, strictly on the movies and nothing else, that these just move people around....is a support ship and if so how?

Lastly lets say I do grab Starter + Tie Fighter X-pansion(giving me more pilots/abilities and 3 ties total) + Either Imperial Aces/shuttle/Slave 1

What would be a good solid Republic version of the same sorta thing? I don't want either one of us to have a...unnecessary edge over one another as we will all be learning together

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I realized, after someone else quoted this, that I never responded. Thank you for the indepth response. Apparently both my lady and buddy want to play Rebel so I have no competition for the Empire. Good.....good.

I am contemplating what to grab with the starter as well as a few Republic suggestions too please!
Is the Slave 1 a good empire ship? I am under the impression that is our "large" ship while the republic got the Millennium Falcon
Imperial Aces good purchase?
Lastly whats up with the Shuttles? Lambda-class one for the empire. I was under the impression, strictly on the movies and nothing else, that these just move people around....is a support ship and if so how?

Lastly lets say I do grab Starter + Tie Fighter X-pansion(giving me more pilots/abilities and 3 ties total) + Either Imperial Aces/shuttle/Slave 1

What would be a good solid Republic version of the same sorta thing? I don't want either one of us to have a...unnecessary edge over one another as we will all be learning together

The X-Wing pack is pretty good for getting good Rebel lists in my opinion- gets you Wedge, who is murderous.

The YT-1300 is a pretty solid early Rebel buy as well- it's probably the most forgiving ship for new players to fly.

Slave 1/the Firespray isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's nearly as integral to good Imperial lists as the YT is for Rebels. All the big ships take a bit of learning in terms of maneuvering, but because of their durability (and in the case of the YT especially, it's fire arc) they can be easier to run. The Shuttle takes a bit more skill than either the YT or the Firespray, in my opinion, but can be a really strong ship, when used properly.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Corbeau posted:

e: Wait. Stop. I just realized that with two elite piloting skills, you could run a pair of A-Wings with PtL plus Wingman. That would be hilarious.

You can run 4x with PtL and Wingman, and some stealth in the mix too I think. I playtested that against a couple lists months ago, it was pretty fun to fly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pbpancho posted:

You can run 4x with PtL and Wingman, and some stealth in the mix too I think. I playtested that against a couple lists months ago, it was pretty fun to fly.

The only issue is popping Stealth off of a TIE with 2 attack dice is very hard.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Omicron + AdSensors
Black Squad + wingman

Permanent 0 stop maneuvers!

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Here are some starting lists I made. Any thoughts?

"Howlrunner"
Krassis Trelix with Heavy Laser Cannon
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot

"Howlrunner" with Determination
Bounty Hunter
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

"Howlrunner"
Darth Vader with Homing Missile
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

Wedge Antilles with Push the Limit, R2 Astromech
Biggs Darklighter with R2-D2, Shield Upgrade
Luke Skywalker with Draw Their Fire, R2 Astromech, Shield Upgrade

Garvin Dreis with Proton Torpedoes
"Dutch" Vander with Proton Torpedoes, R2 Astromech
Rookie Pilot
Rookie Pilot

Blue Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon, Fire Control System
Blue Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon, Fire Control System
Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon Turret
Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon Turret

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I heard the only prizes for the store champs were some plastic rulers, a card box, and a plaque if you got first. Is that seriously it? Not even a ship for first place? I was hoping it'd be like the Kessel Run events which at least gave top 2 a ship. My store back home is hosting one this weekend but I'm reluctant to go because it's a 3 hour drive and costs $10 to enter. They aren't even giving out store credit with that money. Is that seriously it? What else are they doing with that money? Did those of you who played at store champs experience the same thing? Or is this a case of FFG charging some god-awful amount for some pithy prize support?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

You get a custom card of Ten Numb too. There is a new Kessel Run type event this summer.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

The way my shop does it is we do $5 admission and then the shop owner kicks in half of whatever is collected and then we take that pool and give it out in store credit as prizes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

smashthedean posted:

The way my shop does it is we do $5 admission and then the shop owner kicks in half of whatever is collected and then we take that pool and give it out in store credit as prizes.

Ya I was expecting something like this. You'd think that by charging $10/player they'd put out something besides a few plastic rulers. The sad part is that they offer great prize support when I play magic there. Pure store credit that you can use for future tournaments. Oh well, I look forward to a Kessel run-type event then.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The Store Championship I did on Sunday did $5 back in store credit on a $10 entry fee.

Assault at Imdaar Alpha (the wave 4 pre-release event) appears to have Wave 4 ships as prizes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The kessel run tournament was designed specifically to give out ships, most of the other tournaments just give out cards or acrylic versions of cardboard pieces. I have some nice focus and shield tokens from regionals/game nights.

Anything after that is on your LGS.

Edit: the prize support is relatively cheap, your store is just gouging

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
The tournament kit is a little costly. Whether $10 per player is fair depends on how many players you expect, IMO.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The main prize is really the first round bye certificate for regionals.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
You're going to the tournament because you like to play X-Wing. Not getting to play one of the games you otherwise would seems like a kind of lovely reward.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Poopy Palpy posted:

You're going to the tournament because you like to play X-Wing. Not getting to play one of the games you otherwise would seems like a kind of lovely reward.

You underestimate the power of the dark side.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

I dunno, in the grand scheme of things getting a free win that could possibly help you play after the cut seems like a net benefit to me :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

The main prize is really the first round bye certificate for regionals.

Yeah, I figure, so I guess this tournament really isn't for me anyway. The other stores in the area had an attendance of ~10-12 and I can't imagine a tournament kit costing more than $30-40 for some reason. Of course, this is the first tournament of this game they're running in this specific store so they could have been underestimating the number of people who'd come to play.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Fox of Stone posted:

So I heard the only prizes for the store champs were some plastic rulers, a card box, and a plaque if you got first. Is that seriously it? Not even a ship for first place? I was hoping it'd be like the Kessel Run events which at least gave top 2 a ship. My store back home is hosting one this weekend but I'm reluctant to go because it's a 3 hour drive and costs $10 to enter. They aren't even giving out store credit with that money. Is that seriously it? What else are they doing with that money? Did those of you who played at store champs experience the same thing? Or is this a case of FFG charging some god-awful amount for some pithy prize support?

The tournament kit costs more than $40, and the price for the event entry is up to the stores. The one I did at the FFG Event Center was free, the other three I've been to were $10. Gotta make it worth it for the store to dedicate a TO and all that space for the event!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Store Championship kits across the board are $60.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm surprised they're that much, the last game day kits were like 20 bucks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm surprised they're that much, the last game day kits were like 20 bucks.

I'm surprised they're that cheap, I think last year's regionals kits were over $100.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm surprised they're that cheap, I think last year's regionals kits were over $100.

Last year had 8(!) playmats for the LCGs.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Yeah we're not doing any sort of official event for our shop, just a casually put together tournament to give people a chance to play and get prizes. I organized it and am running it and playing with a backup TO to solve rules disputes during my games. I'm doing a thing right now with alternating every other month all-day X-Wing Game Days with demos and stuff and then tournaments like this one and dodging any official stuff (though we will try to get in on the Imdaar Alpha for those preview ships). It also doesn't hurt my motivation to run stuff that my shop throws $20 store credit out to anyone running an event :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PJOmega posted:

Store Championship kits across the board are $60.

Wow.

With such paltry prizes for the winners and costs for a kit, I can only imagine why FFG's games aren't more popular. I come from wizard poker though so I have higher expectations for prizes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Are people really that concerned about the prizes? The costs to get into FFG games aren't high since they aren't collectible and the releases are so far apart the meta doesn't change quickly. For me the high production values and the subject matter own. I couldn't care less about the Magic fluff.

Then again, nearly half the people I play against in X-Wing have bought like $90 worth of those counters from Team Covenant or Litko...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wish they'd do more of the plastic token prizes. I missed out on the Focus and Stress sets

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No it's just me. After learning that it is FFG and not the store's fault for charging so much, I am more understanding. It just seems absurd to charge $60 for a couple boxes and plastic rulers. If it at least came with neat stuff like plastic tokens or maybe a large 3x3 battle blanket for the champ (similar to what wizards does with their game day champ battle blankets), it wouldn't be so bad.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

zVxTeflon posted:

I wish they'd do more of the plastic token prizes. I missed out on the Focus and Stress sets

If you're looking for acrylic tokens/range finder stuff, I've purchased a bunch from this guy with no problems: http://www.appliedperspective.com/acrylic/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I picked up a TIE Advanced today. What do people usually add to Vader? I've heard Engine Upgrade is good because Boost/Barrel Roll will put you outside of firing arcs. Expose seems like it might be good with Vader's second action. Not sure if Missiles are a good investment for him.

Also, Picard is the Vader of Star Trek Attack Wing.

Makes you think.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
My brain is telling me Carnor Jax and Opportunist is an awesome combination.

Of couse being at Range 1 to use his ability and throw five dice at an opponent seems foolish for a 3HP ship.

I want to use Royal TIE and Shield Upgrade and Hull Upgrade to buff him to 5HP, but that feels like too many points sunk into one squint.

Also: Soontir Fel with PtL and Royal TIE for Stealth Device and Targeting Computer is actually worth it, right? Target Lock+Evade and Free Focus sounds crazy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Honestly their miniature prize support is worse than their LCGs. LCGs have playmats, boxes, and promo cards, and playmats seem more substantial than a range ruler.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm a bit surprised they haven't tried giving out alt models as ship prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm a bit surprised they haven't tried giving out alt models as ship prizes.

With some Netrunner promos going 200+ for a single card I don't even want to think about the prices of promo models.

• Locked thread