Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

Everyone complaining about cold offices should be glad they don't actually work IN the datacenter. The fishbowl I work in is on the same thermostat as the datacenter floor, and is therefore more than a little chilly at all times.

Almost everyone brings in at least a light sweater to wear, or wears multiple shirts.

I would hate having to wear ear protection all day. It would drive me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

I would hate having to wear ear protection all day. It would drive me crazy.

I worked a couple jobs on factory floors and needed to wear hearing protection so I guess it doesn't bother me if I have to spend all day in our server room. A lot of us wear headphones as it is so it's not a big deal.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Computer viking posted:

On a HVAC note, I'm in a five year old building , where the one thing we've never been able to fix is the thermostats. There are little spinny wheels in every office that go from blue (freezing) to red (quite chilly). We've long ago bought (baby blue) fleece sweaters for everyone, but my fingers and toes still go a bit numb after a while. I'm waiting for summer, when I can take breaks outside to thaw out a bit.

At least we've been able to nudge it up enough that the coldest offices are no longer at 16C (61F).

And you call yourself a viking!? :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

I worked a couple jobs on factory floors and needed to wear hearing protection so I guess it doesn't bother me if I have to spend all day in our server room. A lot of us wear headphones as it is so it's not a big deal.

You're going to go deaf.

Still glad I left my last datacenter job. The built out a new building with a massive DC floor with AC units that would about knock you over and thousands of servers. The tech area was walled off, but adjacent, lots of noise spilled over. They had a big opening in the wall. It was originally going to be BIG SERIOUS DOORS to block the sound. But then it was just a couple of big sheets of plywood propped up and finally just some of those hanging clear plastic strips. It's deafeningly loud in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

You're going to go deaf.

From wearing hearing protection or from wearing headphones?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nitrogen posted:

This video is exactly what it is like trying to work with the project managers at my company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

I can't tell if this is a bad sales pitch from consultants, or an internal project. Either way...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bob Morales posted:

From wearing hearing protection or from wearing headphones?

From wearing headphones instead of hearing protection. You end up cranking up the volume to cover the sound of the datacenter, and are doing more damage to your hearing since your music is louder. Unless you use headphones like these* , your are doing more damage.

*I only use those as an example since they are what I use. The have interchangeable tips for the earbuds that include foam ones that work just like earplugs.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

nitrogen posted:

This video is exactly what it is like trying to work with the project managers at my company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Funnily enough that's just done the rounds of my office. I can relate.

"More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss told me to build it in the shape of a kitten."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Negromancer posted:

From wearing headphones instead of hearing protection. You end up cranking up the volume to cover the sound of the datacenter, and are doing more damage to your hearing since your music is louder. Unless you use headphones like these* , your are doing more damage.

*I only use those as an example since they are what I use. The have interchangeable tips for the earbuds that include foam ones that work just like earplugs.

I have sound isolating/cancelling over the ears and earbuds. Either way I don't turn it up much over halfway on my iPhone.

I thought you meant I was going to go deaf from being in the datacenter without hearing protection since I said "it doesn't bother me" as in I didn't wear it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The new dartboard in the office...

The office jester is now throwing metal tipped darts towards peoples feet. He actually got me in the foot on the boot, fortunately I wear steel toes but I'm NOT loving happy. As par the course in this thread, management ain't doing poo poo. Can't leave this job soon enough

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bob Morales posted:

I have sound isolating/cancelling over the ears and earbuds. Either way I don't turn it up much over halfway on my iPhone.

I thought you meant I was going to go deaf from being in the datacenter without hearing protection since I said "it doesn't bother me" as in I didn't wear it.

Yea, being in a datacenter a lot is not going to be that bad for you. I just grew up working on boats so I was indoctrinated with proper hearing protection from a young age. I actually got bitched out by my dad for wearing earbuds instead of ear plugs until I showed him how they were setup. My hearing is already pretty hosed up, so I do my best to save what I have left.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The office jester is now throwing metal tipped darts towards peoples feet. He actually got me in the foot on the boot, fortunately I wear steel toes but I'm NOT loving happy. As par the course in this thread, management ain't doing poo poo. Can't leave this job soon enough

? If any dart comes near you take it and put it in your drawer. Tell him before hand that anything that lands even remotely close to you is yours to take and your aren't giving that poo poo back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Help desk guy just flipped the gently caress out on a co-worker for sending him a password in a 'plain text' email. Another guy said "So if it was an HTML email, nobody else could read it?"

He sat there and said, "Well at least I'd feel better about it. Plain-text is the most insecure way to send an email! Anyone can read it!"

I didn't even look up from my screen.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm no lawyer but isn't this battery or assault and battery?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What in the actual gently caress? How is that not bare minimum hostile work environment if he's throwing things that could injure you at you intentionally?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ratbert90 posted:

? If any dart comes near you take it and put it in your drawer. Tell him before hand that anything that lands even remotely close to you is yours to take and your aren't giving that poo poo back.

I already confiscated the set, as the lowest ranked guy.

I would think that I wouldn'...

Oh who the gently caress am I kidding, poo poo like this is a daily occurrence and... tolerated in my workplace. In addition to being paid in dogshit and being given lovely, monotonous tasks that suck balls without opportunity to learn and touch things as part of my daily job duties. The maturity level is middleschool in my place of work and I feel like I'm Fishering on the inside

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 27, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Help desk guy just flipped the gently caress out on a co-worker for sending him a password in a 'plain text' email. Another guy said "So if it was an HTML email, nobody else could read it?"

He sat there and said, "Well at least I'd feel better about it. Plain-text is the most insecure way to send an email! Anyone can read it!"

I didn't even look up from my screen.

find the password in /etc/shadow and send it to him? Here is your password! $1$MvOHSkvH$PkzcWvB/1Ex7NPjxL3iY50

edit* Put it in a password.bin, which is encoded as AES256, which is actually just a renamed tar.gz.

In that tar.gz is a password protected rar, which in that is a link to a plain text email with his password. :v: .

Send it inside of a jpg as well.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 27, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Holy poo poo. I'd probably flip my poo poo if someone did that to me.

poo poo pissing me off here: Surprisingly little, aside from being ill and having to come into work anyway because deadlines.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I already confiscated the set, as the lowest ranked guy.

I would think that I wouldn'...

Oh who the gently caress am I kidding, poo poo like this is a daily occurrence and... tolerated in my workplace. In addition to being paid in dogshit and being given lovely, monotonous tasks that suck balls without opportunity to learn and touch things as part of my daily job duties. The maturity level is middleschool in my place of work and I feel like I'm Fishering on the inside

I take my shoes off at work. Granted there is only four of us, but I am just more comfortable wearing no shoes at all.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Darts are weapons, plain and simple. He is literally firing weapons at you. I would immediately notify HR that I refuse to set foot in the office building until the offender is removed, and back it up with a lawyer if they don't immediately comply. Press charges.

That's not being the office jester, that's battery.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Darts are weapons, plain and simple. He is literally firing weapons at you. I would immediately notify HR that I refuse to set foot in the office building until the offender is removed, and back it up with a lawyer if they don't immediately comply. Press charges.

That's not being the office jester, that's battery.

This is also the same guy that brought in a peacemaker.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 27, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

If there's documentation of it happening, all the more reason HR needs a restraining order immediately. He brings in glaringly obvious deadly weapons then shoots less fatal ones at your feet. This guy is a powderkeg.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If there's documentation of it happening, all the more reason HR needs a restraining order immediately. He brings in glaringly obvious deadly weapons then shoots less fatal ones at your feet. This guy is a powderkeg.

What HR? The last person who had that title quit.

Edit: The head ops manager just wagged his finger and told him not to bring it back to work

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm glad I work with adults because if someone threw a metal dart at me at work I would threaten to break their nose at the very least

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit: The head ops manager just wagged his finger and told him not to bring it back to work

CEO, whatever there is. Whoever has the understanding of liability and the authority to do something about it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

There's also a lot more that simply broke and never got fixed. :v:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm watching this training video on some software and they allow comments on the video. Everyone was bashing the presenter for using the word 'particular' too much. I thought it couldn't be that bad and people were just being dicks but the dude uses the word 'particular' 11 times in the first minute. Everything is a particular thing.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Is that better or worse that people who say "go ahead" at the start of every sentence?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can I just say gently caress peoplesoft and leave it at that? I can't imagine running payroll without it, but god damnit running payroll with it is so, friggin, complicated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

You should probably talk to a lawyer rather than this thread.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
It's started at my place of work :smith:

"Can I get you (the company) to start paying for o365 so I can use Office on my iPad(not owned by the company)?"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

You should probably talk to a lawyer rather than this thread.

That. Seriously. Also likely the police because THATS BATTERY

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The gently caress do you work at ISIS? Did he talk about the stopping power?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Since nobody cares about infantile behavior, I think you should take a poo poo on his desk.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

Since nobody cares about infantile behavior, I think you should take a poo poo on his desk.

This.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Talk to a lawyer. Whether you press charges or not, the company is opening up themselves to massive liability by not firing that guy's rear end immediately. You could probably demand a huge severance package for agreeing to not sue their negligent asses.

And before you goon it up any more and tell us all why you can't afford the time and energy to actually sue them, odds are you will never have to go that far. Serious threats are often enough.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Che Delilas posted:

Talk to a lawyer. Whether you press charges or not, the company is opening up themselves to massive liability by not firing that guy's rear end immediately. You could probably demand a huge severance package for agreeing to not sue their negligent asses.

And before you goon it up any more and tell us all why you can't afford the time and energy to actually sue them, odds are you will never have to go that far. Serious threats are often enough.

Taken into advisement, as such I will not further discuss the details of this matter. It was... unbecoming of me to kvetch about it.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 28, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Taken into advisement, as such I will not further discuss the details of this matter. It was... unbecoming of me to kvetch about it.

This is battered wife syndrome, dude.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This is battered wife syndrome, dude.

Unless he means "I'm talking to a lawyer about it and not talking about details on the internet", in which case, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Ursine Asylum posted:

Unless he means "I'm talking to a lawyer about it and not talking about details on the internet", in which case, good job.

Yeah that's how I read it.