Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Wales Grey posted:

Counterpoint: Steampunk is poo poo.

That is a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Battletech universe is actually set after the tech singularity, when the ascended minds are trying to work out how crap you can make technology and still run an interstellar civilisation.

edit - Just like our universe.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wales Grey posted:

Only if you focus on the steam, but forget the Punk. It's perfectly worthwhile when you make the story about the rise of the oppressed worker class who've been reduced to organic components in the machine of industry while their wealthy masters gallavant around in massive, heavily armed suits of armor in a show of wealth and power.

You've just been scarred by idiots who put cogs on everything.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

The politics and ham-fisted "totally not a country on 20th century earth" allegory in Battletech is bad enough as it is, anyways. Any Battletech story from the 80's featuring Kurita is virtually guaranteed to be horribly embarrassing in a Michael Chrichton "Rising Sun" way.

(Also, gently caress that Anglo-centric Victorian era nonsense)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

wiegieman posted:

Only if you focus on the steam, but forget the Punk. It's perfectly worthwhile when you make the story about the rise of the oppressed worker class who've been reduced to organic components in the machine of industry while their wealthy masters gallavant around in massive, heavily armed suits of armor in a show of wealth and power.

You've just been scarred by idiots who put cogs on everything.

There has traditionally been very, very little punk in steampunk. Which is pretty terrible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wales Grey posted:

Well yeah, that's kind of what I meant about the cogs and the hoopskirts and whatnot. I am not a fan.

But imagine if, in 1980, Battletech founded the steampunk genre instead of whatever other thing did that. You'd have warring noble houses, giant stompy robots, a punk rock/retrofuturistic aesthetic laid over an industrial-revolution-era wargame, and... ok, admittedly, almost certainly a lot of terrible story-writing and artwork, but that was always a given.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There has traditionally been very, very little punk in steampunk. Which is pretty terrible.

It doesn't help that punk kind of has to be a statement about the current era in order to be relevant, and the Victorian period is not especially similar in the slightest to the conditions that the working class labor under nowadays.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Battletech's military technology would be a much better fit for a steampunk game than it is for a far-future transgalactic science fiction setting.

A total conversion has been something I've thought of, but never felt motivated to do, for a long time. Instead of tiny populations on thousands of worlds, you have reasonable populations on a half-dozen continents. Instead of ridiculously short ranges for weapons that are apparently less useful than standard WWII technology, you have steam-powered cannons, Victorian-era rocketry, and steampunk techno-wizard Tesla fantasy lightning generators. Instead of fusion power plants envisioned by people who didn't do more than an hour's reading about fusion, you have coal and steam powerplants that have good reasons to run hot, need extensive venting, and melt down when punctured. And you can reasonably keep the focus on the stompy robots without wondering what the hell happened to air superiority doctrine by converting air assets to dirigibles, biplanes, and maybe the occasional airborne fantasy-steampunk aircraft carrier held aloft by a dozen huge balloons and some whirlygig helicopter rotors or whatever.

Add in the normal-for-steampunk "random glass tubes full of semi-magic green stuff" and you're there.

You can even have the Inner Sphere (not-Europe) and the invasion of the mysterious clans (literal mongols?) and a communications chokehold carried out by the Trans-Continental Telegraph Company, and you don't find yourself handwaving away nuclear bombs and orbital bombardment by invoking treaties everyone adheres to despite the total absence of an entity that enforces them, or wondering how modern telecommunications infrastructure becomes lostech.

I'm really not a fan of the typical steampunk aesthetic (glue nonfunctional cogs to everything) but it seems like a lot of what I read about Battletech could fit very neatly into the setting.

Dragonmech already exists. Being based on D&D 3.5, it's rather cumbersome, but it wouldn't be hard to apply the setting to battletech rules.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Whatever you call the style from stuff like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (it's pulp, right?) justifies big stompy robots fighting alongside biplanes and flying aircraft carriers, without the "everything based on this is poo poo" stigma from steampunk.

e: Not that Sky Captain isn't kinda poo poo, but rather that some pulp stuff is pretty sweet whereas I've never seen steampunk I didn't loathe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think people might call that era "diesel-punk". Fits in with the sort of Weird Science genre of World War 2 stuff like you might see in the Captain America movie.

But more generally, I think people are attracted to the idea of analog technology taken to an extreme scale, and it's something Battletech sort of ends up being by going the long way of developing extremely advanced technology then undergoing a technological dark age that obliterates understanding and applies all sorts of artificial handicaps. The mechs might as well be giant lumbering steel goliaths powered by coal or gasoline, belching smoke and firing cannons at each other, because all their advanced computer systems and sophisticated guidance controls have become unworkable. They've more or less lost all the hallmarks of the digital age, and when they do appear they're practically like high sorcery - case in point, the super-troops the RWR have unleashed here.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 28, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I only picked steampunk because it's a recognizable genre that is pre-radar and radio and powered flight, and there's a primary powerplant technology that actually had heat dissipation and occasionally-exploding as not-basically-solved problems.

But there's no reason why you can't pick basically any era between the dawn of the industrial revolution and, say, 1920, and base an alt-history with pseudo-scienceish stuff in it giant stompy robot game.

The key point for me would be basically not changing the rules of Battletech at all - it'd purely be a flavor transplant. That would be the minimum-effort conversion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I've never seen steampunk I didn't loathe.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3503803&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Update on Turn discussion: A few options are being thrown around, but the question of triage is very paramount. What do we sacrifice for the greater good?

This is maddening!

Also, on a personal note, being the only GoonStar on the south half of the map just ramps it up even more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

berryjon posted:

Update on Turn discussion: A few options are being thrown around, but the question of triage is very paramount. What do we sacrifice for the greater good?

This is maddening!

Also, on a personal note, being the only GoonStar on the south half of the map just ramps it up even more.

Think like a clanner! If it isnt a fighing machine or a fighting man, it isnt worth saving!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SynthOrange posted:

Think like a clanner! If it isnt a fighing machine or a fighting man, it isnt worth saving!

Clanners don't believe in doing any saving. If someone gets into a fight that they can't win it's their fault for selection targets poorly. They do take revenge after the fact but that's about it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

berryjon posted:

This is maddening!

Well you probably want your senior leaders to live through all this, so covering the command vehicles seems like a good idea. There are only three of them so you have a fairly decent chance of saving them all if you focus on protecting them.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Whatever you call the style from stuff like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (it's pulp, right?) justifies big stompy robots fighting alongside biplanes and flying aircraft carriers, without the "everything based on this is poo poo" stigma from steampunk.

e: Not that Sky Captain isn't kinda poo poo, but rather that some pulp stuff is pretty sweet whereas I've never seen steampunk I didn't loathe.

Yeah, that's pretty classic 'Pulp' stuff - The Rocketeer-style adventure settings. As for timing, any time up to the mid-30s works as a divergence-point. FASA did, after all, attempt a similar beer-and-pretzels tabletop mini-game with exactly that concept: Crimson Skies.

Of course, they also kept the rights to CS with FASA-I, and so those went to Microsoft, which was damned annoying, but the PC-game wasn't bad. Never really cared for the later console game, though.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BMcDonough posted:

Yeah, that's pretty classic 'Pulp' stuff - The Rocketeer-style adventure settings. As for timing, any time up to the mid-30s works as a divergence-point. FASA did, after all, attempt a similar beer-and-pretzels tabletop mini-game with exactly that concept: Crimson Skies.

Of course, they also kept the rights to CS with FASA-I, and so those went to Microsoft, which was damned annoying, but the PC-game wasn't bad. Never really cared for the later console game, though.

On the subject of "Pulp Fiction Settings Owned By Battletech Creators", Cosmic Patrol is a pretty rad thing that Catalyst was the publisher of recently.

edit: vvv Warmahordes owns, it's a good game and way cheaper than 40k to actually have fun with. vvv

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 28, 2014

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Well yeah, that's kind of what I meant about the cogs and the hoopskirts and whatnot. I am not a fan.

But imagine if, in 1980, Battletech founded the steampunk genre instead of whatever other thing did that. You'd have warring noble houses, giant stompy robots, a punk rock/retrofuturistic aesthetic laid over an industrial-revolution-era wargame, and... ok, admittedly, almost certainly a lot of terrible story-writing and artwork, but that was always a given.

I'm sorry, you appear to have gotten lost on your way to WarMachine, a wargame by Privateer Press, which is basically this. Including the social revolution part because the major turning point in the setting is when the magic-less oppressed classes used industrial technology and (that setting's version of) gunpowder to throw off the yoke of their sorcerous colonialist oppressors. (You even get some terrible story-writing and artwork!)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's obvious from this discussion the real problem is that BT needs blimps. Armed blimps which fly far higher than weapons range and then they drop things on you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

It's obvious from this discussion the real problem is that BT needs blimps. Armed blimps which fly far higher than weapons range and then they drop things on you.

Blimp rules are in TacOps, actually. They're a class of support vehicle.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cruise Missiles exist, as do long-range air-to-air stuff. They just don't get used because they're either more expensive than sending a wave of infantry
Sounds like they need to invent the Military Industrial Complex, then the cost turns from a bug into a feature.

Putting mechs in steampunk makes me think of Pacific Rim, which I didn't like that much. What's worse than a terrible mech HUD? How about a giant mechanical Dance Dance Revolution control system? "Yes we can directly synchronise your brain waves with those of your co-pilot but we'd rather you interfaced with the last hope of humanity via the coordinated flailing of your combustible fleshy limbs."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Psion posted:

The original hilariously over-budget blimp fortress.
It's not nearly as dumb successor.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh poo poo I missed with everything. :negative: And that Stinger with its guns in my back is certainly terrifying.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Endomorphic posted:

Sounds like they need to invent the Military Industrial Complex, then the cost turns from a bug into a feature.

Putting mechs in steampunk makes me think of Pacific Rim, which I didn't like that much. What's worse than a terrible mech HUD? How about a giant mechanical Dance Dance Revolution control system? "Yes we can directly synchronise your brain waves with those of your co-pilot but we'd rather you interfaced with the last hope of humanity via the coordinated flailing of your combustible fleshy limbs."

It's a movie. It isn't real.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Psion posted:

I liked the one in Just Cause 2.

It's a dance club.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gay Abortions posted:

I'm sorry, you appear to have gotten lost on your way to WarMachine, a wargame by Privateer Press, which is basically this. Including the social revolution part because the major turning point in the setting is when the magic-less oppressed classes used industrial technology and (that setting's version of) gunpowder to throw off the yoke of their sorcerous colonialist oppressors. (You even get some terrible story-writing and artwork!)

Warmachine's big stompy robots are an order of magnitude too small. And I also hate the hunchbacked/giant shoulders/tiny feet aesthetic. And I get the impression the robots aren't driven by people?

And of course, by far the most important thing is that it's not played on a hex grid.

But yeah I guess the setting is about right!

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Michael Moorcock wrote pretty much the best in the genre way before the word was invented. His "Warlord of the Air" (and it's two sequels, sort of) have big zeppelins zooming about with huge guns, steam-powered everything, Edwardian era Britain ruling not just the waves but the air itself. Then it uses this as a vague backdrop to discuss colonialism, racism and just what a terrible people Reagan and Moseley were (but not as bad as the British Empire of blood-gargling EVIL). Featuring a cameo by a handsome and personable young leftenant Michael "Mick" Jagger.

As for the current scenario: 1) Holy poo poo PTN, you've outdone yourself once again!
2) Sorry GoonStar, I gotta side with President Amaris on this one, he pretty much seems to be the only political leader here with his eyes on the ball.

[e] Something that's been bothering me for a while, given the usual goon adoration for anything Byzantine Eastern Roman Empire, why aren't there more of us Rimmers anyway?

In like Zinn fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 30, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's because most people don't realize that the FWL is the Space Eastern Roman Empire :ssh:

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's because most people don't realize that the FWL is the Space Eastern Roman Empire :ssh:

Yeah but do they have polemarkoi as hard as Varas?

Didn't think so.

[e] Anyway to me it seems that Prez Amaris is wearing the Purple far more effectively than any Marik ever did, so as the polis of the ERE said "eh... looks imperial enough"

In like Zinn fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 30, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That is actually really interesting and fun. Besides us not seeing much of how it was used, that lore is pretty much some of my favorite stuff now. Seeing a model come out hilariously bad, then revamped later, is quite delicious. Now all we have to do is make it a clanner design and I could somehow love it even more.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

evilmiera posted:

That is actually really interesting and fun. Besides us not seeing much of how it was used, that lore is pretty much some of my favorite stuff now. Seeing a model come out hilariously bad, then revamped later, is quite delicious. Now all we have to do is make it a clanner design and I could somehow love it even more.

The Clan design gains even more lifting power with less space by reducing the mass of the helium - they do away with a full proton/neutron/electron combo in order to make the resulting molecule lighter and more compact.

(What could possibly go wrong?)

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
You people aren't thinking enough like Clanners. A floating airfield designed to support units of recon VTOLs? That's cowardly Spheroid talk! We're not wasting precious resources on that sort of uncouth barbarism. We have to channel our efforts into machines that support a true warrior's culture, and craven helicopters swooping in from blimps doesn't sound like it fits in a Circle of Equals.

We're gonna use that four acre flying platform as an enormous 'Mech Thunderdome in the sky. First guy to fall off the deck, loses!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This can only lead to G-Gundam.

I approve.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

GenericServices posted:

You people aren't thinking enough like Clanners. A floating airfield designed to support units of recon VTOLs? That's cowardly Spheroid talk! We're not wasting precious resources on that sort of uncouth barbarism. We have to channel our efforts into machines that support a true warrior's culture, and craven helicopters swooping in from blimps doesn't sound like it fits in a Circle of Equals.

We're gonna use that four acre flying platform as an enormous 'Mech Thunderdome in the sky. First guy to fall off the deck, loses!

gently caress it, build an aircraft carrier 'mech.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

BMcDonough posted:

The Clan design gains even more lifting power with less space by reducing the mass of the helium - they do away with a full proton/neutron/electron combo in order to make the resulting molecule lighter and more compact.

(What could possibly go wrong?)
It's a rhetorical question, but I like the notion of Clanner airships being filled with electron-stripped helium. Because that would make them paramagnetic and vulnerable to NRWR-developed giant ground magnets pinning them in place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They would actually be filled with Deuterium, making them far more expensive and slightly less buoyant (but no less explosive) than their cheaper Hydrogen filled inner-sphere counterparts.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Casualty posted:

gently caress it, build an aircraft carrier 'mech.

I'm thinking a 200-ton Superheavy could probably be used in conjunction with a squadron of gliders for this. Imagine how many more guns you can fit on an ASF when you don't need to include an engine, because the Superheavy can just throw them like paper airplanes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 3

“I am taking fire from LRM artillery,” The voice of the mechwarrior from Beta Galaxy—Tara couldn’t remember his name—was nearly indecipherable over the enemy jamming. Even broadcast unencrypted—their constantly-changing ComLang had always been more than sufficient, as it was tailored to the needs of each individual mission—the distortion was enough to make even the friendly pilot’s gender unclear. Tara’s active probe still displayed the happy little light that told her she wasn’t being jammed, nor did any of her sensors acknowledge the presence of even a single enemy unit. Not even the blue and red Stinger that was nearly close enough for her to spit on.

Tara suspected such a maneuver may even be preferable to firing, for all the good her weapons had proven to be. At least spittle would likely take the enemy mechwarrior by surprise. The enemy jamming was almost frighteningly efficient: it had even tricked Clan equipment into thinking it wasn’t being jammed at all. A feat Tara had previously believed to be impossible.

“They are making a heavy push for Gamma Galaxy’s H.Q,” the Beta mechwarrior whined again. “I suspect they have learned I am the only warrior—”

“So abandon them,” Tara hissed. “Coward. They are only Freebirths, after all! Leave the real fighting to Alpha Galaxy! And the Ghost Bears,” she amended hastily. “We are in a fight! A real fight, at last! Enjoy it! Revel in the carnage, and fight back as though you were a real Clan warrior!”

“Tara,” mechwarrior Crow cautioned, although she cut him off before he could say another word.

“Be silent, Crow. You may have an auspicious name but I am taking command of this star. We stand and fight, all of us! You can go see if the scientists brought an Iron Womb for you to cower in once we stand victorious over the corpses of these Rim Worlders!”

Combat Phase
Fire Moth Prime
- Shooting fixed, see end of the shooting phase!

Mist Lynx B
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (0/6 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (3/8 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 20!

Mist Lynx D
- Fires ER Small Laser at Stinger (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Ultra AC/2 (Ultra) at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 1 shell hit Left Leg (6/8 armor remains)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Arctic Cheetah
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires TAG at Stinger (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, hit!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 2 light woods - 1 cluster = 9): rolled 9, 5 submunitions hit Center Torso (25/26 armor remains), Right Arm (15/16 armor remains), Right Torso (19/20 armor remains), Left Arm (15/16 armor remains), Right Arm (14/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 12): rolled 2, Streak SRM-6 fails to lock on!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 20!

???
- Fires ??? at Batu Omnifighter! Unit destroyed!

Thug
- Charges Heavy PPC!
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Charged) at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 7, missed!
- Gains 37 heat, sinks 34!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Artemis IV) at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 12, 20 missiles hit Left Torso (3/8 armor remains), Center Torso (4/9 armor remains), Left Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Leg (3/8 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Artemis IV) at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires TAG at Kit Fox (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

???
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) indirectly at Kit Fox (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + enemy movement modifier ignored + spotter movement modifier ignored + indirect fire modifier ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) indirectly at Kit Fox (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + enemy movement modifier ignored + spotter movement modifier ignored + indirect fire modifier ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

Black Knight
- Fires Heavy PPC w/PPC Capacitor at Locust IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/10 armor, 0/8 structure remains)! Objective destroyed!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Holds fire!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Clint IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically hits Center Torso (5/15 armor remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 28!

Chameleon
- ???
- Gains ?? heat, sinks 22!

Crab
- Fires ER Large Laser at Arctic Cheetah (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Arctic Cheetah (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 36!

Hunchback
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0744!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (2/7 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

Bobcat
- Fires Light PPC at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 8): rolled 12, hit Center Torso (0/5 armor remains)!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Charged) at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Talon
- Fires Light PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Drained) at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 heat = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Light PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Drained) at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 heat = 10): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22! Overheating!

Stinger
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (2/5 armor remains)!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Stinger
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Fire Moth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Fire Moth Prime
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/6 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 3 missiles hit Right Torso (6/8 armor remains), Left Leg (4/8 armor remains), Center Torso (0/9 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Stinger
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- Lance hit!
- Critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hits sustained!

Kit Fox
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Fire Moth Prime
- Kicks Stinger (4 base + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 8): rolled 7, miss!

End Phase:
Fire Moth Prime
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 missed kick = 4): rolled 10, succeeds!

Turn End Phase:

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Stinger A
- Disables Void Signature System!

Stinger B
- Disables Void Signature System!

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a weaker Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Phase 1 Objectives:
- Delay the enemy for as many turns as possible
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (3/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (76/84 tents remaining)
- Defend Clan Equipment (31/36 units remaining)

Phase 2 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (0/39 defeated)

Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible

Enemy Status:
Stinger –Structure damage
Hunchback – Armor damage

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown 100-ton Assault +1
- Longbow +0
- ??? +?
- Thug +0
- Black Knight +2
- Excalibur +1
- Coyote +1
- Chameleon +1
- Hunchback +1
- Crab +2
- Bobcat +3
- Talon +0
- Stinger +3
- Stinger +3

Orders Due: Next Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Goddamn a lot is going on. And holy poo poo, there's an absolute flood of Rim mechs on the field. The players are going to struggle to live long enough to put any kills on the board at all.

Honestly, I don't know what their second and third waves could be to stand up to this kind of onslaught, especially if there's even more Rim machines waiting to make their appearance.

• Locked thread