Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's more like velveeta over noodles, how much you like it really depends on how much you like the cheese you use because it will be more cheese tasting than a roux based sauce. It's good but I still do a baked mac too depending

I like it for nacho cheese sauce and green chile queso dip/topping though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Drifter posted:

Modernist Mac&Cheese sounds like it's dumb. Sodium Citrate. :jerkbag:
It's totally gussied up Kraft.

http://foodriot.com/2013/05/02/the-10-best-macaroni-and-cheese-recipes-i-found-on-the-internet

Some of these look great. The Beecher's mac and cheese is also incredibly good, but that's due to the quality of Beecher's cheese. Made a baked mac tonight with monterey jack and aged cheddar, and a little cayenne, paprika, worcestershire sauce, and deli mustard in the sauce. Used bacon fat for the roux which turned out well, but next time I'd probably do 50/50 bacon fat and butter or use more flavorful cheese to balance out the bacon taste.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^ oh man, a good cheddar is so good. I will pass that website on to my dad, he will probably order several bricks of cheeses.

Yeah, bacon fat has a REALLY strong taste sometimes.

I made fried mashed potato balls for lunch and used bacon fat and holy god it was so good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 26, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Chutney and mayonnaise? You have got to be making GBS threads me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

The Bunk posted:

Is there a grill recommendation/ general grilling thread? Looking to purchase a (probably natural gas) grill in the next couple of months and don't really know what I need other than hearing good things about Weber and Holland.

Here is the BBQ/smoking thread, lot of crossover talk about grilling though. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

In my experience, Weber is pretty much always worth the extra dollars, especially at the budget end of things. If you grill regularly as I do the cheaper stuff just wears out too drat fast. Big thing to look at with grills is surface area and BTUs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like aged cheddar and smoked gouda for my modernist mac. The sodium citrate not only allows you to make a smooth sauce, but it allows you to make it much cheesier than a traditional roux based sauce. If that's not your thing, so be it. But sodium citrate has become a pantry staple for me. I use it when making gratins, alfredo style sauces, nacho cheese sauce, etc.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like aged cheddar and smoked gouda for my modernist mac. The sodium citrate not only allows you to make a smooth sauce, but it allows you to make it much cheesier than a traditional roux based sauce. If that's not your thing, so be it. But sodium citrate has become a pantry staple for me. I use it when making gratins, alfredo style sauces, nacho cheese sauce, etc.

I'm a big gouda fan so I might give this combo a go first. I like all the ideas - I ended up buying 400g of sodium citrate, so I'll be trying just about every cheesy food iteration over the next few months.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

just bought a new spatula.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Drifter posted:

^^^ - I've had something similar to this and it was fuckin' delicious.
http://blogs.food24.com/bitsofcarey/2010/06/08/mrs-balls-chutney-chicken-wings/

erm...mayonnaise kinda turns me off and chutney isn't available at the grocery store from what I've seen. Here's a mango habanero recipes I've dug up...what do you guys think?

quote:

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 habanero, chopped
2-4 tablespoons honey, (depending on the sweetness & ripeness of the mango)
1 cup white wine vinegar
Salt
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add mangoes and habanero and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the honey and vinegar and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water. Strain mixture through a strainer set over a small bowl; season with salt.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Steak trip report: fuckin delicious. The center was just a touch cooler than I'd ideally like so next time I'll probably do about a minute twenty on each side, or see if I can get the pan even hotter. I preheated it in a 500 degree oven for a while and let it sit on a full blast burner for a few minutes, but it wasn't really smoking much so I bet I could get it hotter. Thanks for the advice, guys.

e: as an aside, french onion soup is still drat tasty even if you don't buy enough beef stock and have to use half beef, half chicken as a result.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A hotter pan keeps the center cooler for a given amount of sear.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

just bought a new spatula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCR85u9QngQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I really thought you were going to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUDwj_mXKE

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I would unironically go to Spatula City. I'm tired of spatulas that are thicker than War And Peace with beefy handles that probably work better as marital aids than getting under some eggs or whatever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BerkerkLurk posted:

I would unironically go to Spatula City. I'm tired of spatulas that are thicker than War And Peace with beefy handles that probably work better as marital aids than getting under some eggs or whatever.

I know what you mean. I found a calphalon spatula that has just the right size and flexibility to do almost everything I need and I love it. I've gone looking time and again, and I haven't found anything near as good.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

door Door door posted:

Steak trip report: fuckin delicious. The center was just a touch cooler than I'd ideally like

I know what other people upthread said, but throw the drat thing in a 500 degree oven for a minute or two after searing. There aren't many cuts I can stomach with a less-than-hot rare center. You can also keep it on the pan longer but turn it several times every 30 seconds for an even cook. Also whichever way you cook it, I don't think it was mentioned before, let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

phthalocyanine posted:

I know what other people upthread said, but throw the drat thing in a 500 degree oven for a minute or two after searing. There aren't many cuts I can stomach with a less-than-hot rare center. You can also keep it on the pan longer but turn it several times every 30 seconds for an even cook. Also whichever way you cook it, I don't think it was mentioned before, let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.

I'll give that a shot too. I don't mind a cool center but I prefer warmer so I think I'll try both cooking longer in the pan and oven finishing. Yeah, I let it rest under foil for five minutes which seemed to have an effect because I didn't lose too much juice when I cut it up.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Any recommendations for an introductory Japanese cookbook? I'm getting more and more into Japanese flavours so I'm looking to try out a wide variety of recipes. Is there a go to 'bible' for Japanese cooking? I would rate myself as an intermediate level cook and I'm looking for everyday meals rather than very complicated special occasion stuff.
I live in Australia which might limit availability.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1558321772/ - The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbo

That's the one people recommend on these forums more often than not.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's also https://en.cookpad.com/ which are translations of recipes from cookpad which is the big recipe website in Japan.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for those!
The Hiroko Shimbo book looks to be everything I want apart from one small niggle: it only uses American measuring units so extra effort needed to convert everything to metric which is used exclusively over here.
Cookpad looks interesting and I've bookmarked that for a proper browse later.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Not a book, but fits what you want: Cooking with Dog on Youtube has many traditional Japanese everyday meals. Most are easy and some are a bit laborious, so you should be able to cook everything they do.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I really like Maki's site http://justhungry.com/ Her book is great as well, but focused on more lunch stuff. I think it compares favourably to quite a few of the books out there.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
We've got another cooking contest coming up at work and I'm at a loss for ideas. Three categories - App, side, dessert.

I was thinking of making a SV roast beef and slicing really thin and making a cheese sauce with horseradish cheese and making roast beef sliders. I've looked at some other types of modernist style things and thought about maybe a foam soup.

Side I have no clue. I've done the mac&cheese but these are mostly meat and taters kind of people, so anything weird icks them out.

Dessert I'm thinking I might try making french macarons. I've tried before and they didn't turn out too well, but I think that might have had to do with the humidity in my house at the time (late summer in the south).

The only thing is that we have to use a few ingredients from our company in each, which is easy considering we make spices and baking ingredients and stuff like that.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

LTBS posted:

Side I have no clue. I've done the mac&cheese but these are mostly meat and taters kind of people, so anything weird icks them out.

How about something with purple potatoes?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LTBS posted:

We've got another cooking contest coming up at work and I'm at a loss for ideas. Three categories - App, side, dessert.

May I suggest small fish?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I need some recipe ideas for boneless chicken breast.

I never buy them, hell I don't even buy anything apart from whole chickens anymore but my fiancee picked up a bunch because they were on a really good sale. Ideally these would just be for lunches for work / post workout, etc. I can do just a standard marinade and grill with a couple of things I am sure but I wanted to see if you guys had any interesting preparations for such a bland and boring thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
marinate in pickle juice. bread. fry. eat on bun with mayo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

and chutney.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

After workouts the other day one guy ran into the kitchen and started devouring hummus right out of the tub, using a chicken breast as a utensil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Breaky posted:

I need some recipe ideas for boneless chicken breast.

I never buy them, hell I don't even buy anything apart from whole chickens anymore but my fiancee picked up a bunch because they were on a really good sale. Ideally these would just be for lunches for work / post workout, etc. I can do just a standard marinade and grill with a couple of things I am sure but I wanted to see if you guys had any interesting preparations for such a bland and boring thing.

chicken cordon bleu
chicken fajitas
chicken bacon swiss sandwiches
stirfry
chicken kebabs
Indian takeaway-style butter chicken

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

After workouts the other day one guy ran into the kitchen and started devouring hummus right out of the tub, using a chicken breast as a utensil.

Seriously, don't knock it til you've tried it. Or a butterflied chicken breast as a glorified edible sriracha spoon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pr0k posted:

Oooh. Neat! I'll definitely try this one along with some of the others just above. Thanks guys!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I recently picked up a bunch of chicken breasts to eat throughout the week as well. I just plan on grilling and marinade.

For a side I was thinking some kind of spinach salad? Is there a healthy dressing besides oil and vinegar?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

I recently picked up a bunch of chicken breasts to eat throughout the week as well. I just plan on grilling and marinade.

For a side I was thinking some kind of spinach salad? Is there a healthy dressing besides oil and vinegar?

Do you like it creamy or liquidy or what? Do you mean healthy like low calorie, or just not like a Kraft dressing? I'm not big on fruity dressings so I wouldn't know the first thing about those.

A bit of xantham gum or greek yogurt/cottage cheese/blended nuts(or some type of seed) makes a good thickener instead of oil, so you could try that. Citrus instead of vinegar is also a good substitute.

-You could go do toasted garlic/ginger, citrus juice, avocado, a scoot of mustard and salt.
-You could try soy sauce, honey, vinegar, olive/sesame oil(or xantham gum etc), garlic/pepper et cetera.
-I've made this with no mayonnaise because I ran out of oil once. It was still great. The anchovies add a nice little meaty zing.
-You could mix Pesto with vinegar and citrus and go to town.

edit: This looks really good and so does this.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 29, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Drifter posted:

Do you like it creamy or liquidy or what? Do you mean healthy like low calorie, or just not like a Kraft dressing? I'm not big on fruity dressings so I wouldn't know the first thing about those.

A bit of xantham gum or greek yogurt/cottage cheese/blended nuts(or some type of seed) makes a good thickener instead of oil, so you could try that. Citrus instead of vinegar is also a good substitute.

-You could go do toasted garlic/ginger, citrus juice, avocado, a scoot of mustard and salt.
-You could try soy sauce, honey, vinegar, olive/sesame oil(or xantham gum etc), garlic/pepper et cetera.
-I've made this with no mayonnaise because I ran out of oil once. It was still great. The anchovies add a nice little meaty zing.
-You could mix Pesto with vinegar and citrus and go to town.

edit: This looks really good and so does this.

Those are some good suggestions. I really like any dressings, so a variety is definitely better as it would break up the monotony.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I've got a bit of a glut of carrots from my veggie box. I've thought of carrot soup and carrot risotto (not sure how well that'd work but I'm willing to try) and carrot cake. And of course roasted as a side for things. Any other ideas? Cooked, please, and ideally things that would stand more or less on their own (plus a starch).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
In the past when I had carrots and not much else I've basically stir fried julienned carrots with ground spices (I eyeballed some cumin, tumeric, cayenne, a clove, some garlic) in butter and added some water, making some kind of pseudo curry out of it and eating it with rice. I'm sure there's a dish that does more with it but I found it kind of sweet and spicy.

I imagine an actual carrot curry would be pretty good but I don't have a recipe for it.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
That sounds pretty good and simple.

To expand a bit on what I have:

vegetables:
broccoli
green onions / scallions
yams
romaine lettuce
frozen spinach
green pepper (this is old and looks okay but might be a rotten mess when I cut into it)
green cabbage

meat/dairy:
parmesan (real)
bacon
sausages
eggs
buttermilk
and yea not normal milk i've run out

starches:
potatoes
rice (arborio and jasmine)
quinoa
couscous
pasta
rolled oats

and the standard spices, condiments and baking staples

And whatever it is, it has to use a shitload of carrots

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
edit: ^^^ - You could probably make a solid quiche out of a lot of that. I also love to make mashed potatoes but also mix in sauteed carrots and onions and chopped broccoli (and then pan fry them into crispy little cakes, eaten with bacon :unsmigghh:).

Make carrot burfi, just be sure to cut the sugar by at least half unless you are a freak. Mix in some coconut as well because coconut is good.

I still make carrot salad, but also pretty much use all the suggested additions beneath that standard recipe, like adding apples and nuts and broccoli and substituting yogurt.

Add them to pancakes.

I ate this salad/appetizer in Turkey and it was good.

Look up Carrot Lasagna, it looks pretty crazy. This Feta and Carrot looks tasty.

Just plain roasted carrots (twice roasted - once to brown after) is drat delicious.
Look through this list of carrot dishes, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 29, 2014