Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There's not really any meaningful difference between a dream and a person as far as FFX is concerned. As far as the game lets us know, basically everything is made up (at least in part) of Pyreflies, since that is how Unsent become Fiends too. The only real difference with Aeons is that the Fayth are people creating something else instead of themselves.

Edit: I mean Auron is pretty able to visit Dream Zanarkand and it's implied he can do that because he's an unsent so there is even less difference there.

I actually didn't know until like... 3 months ago that Dream Zanarkand was literally just hanging out off the coast of Spira, I always thought it was inside Sin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

See I thought that too! Dream Zanarkand being a physical place on an island was something I never knew until I read the Ultimania translation. I guess Auron does say in Zanarkand that being Unsent allowed him to ride Sin to Dream Zanarkand but still... I just figured it was some spiritual mumbojumbo or, as you said, maybe even inside Sin itself. I mean there is that city inside it, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I actually didn't know until like... 3 months ago that Dream Zanarkand was literally just hanging out off the coast of Spira, I always thought it was inside Sin or something.

There's a city on Sin's back as well but I have no clue what that is supposed to be because I assumed that was Dream Zanarkand but that makes the opening make no sense so I'm totally lost.

Real Zanarkand with its freaky rear end stone pile of Fayth is in Mt. Gagazet

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Barudak posted:

There's a city on Sin's back as well but I have no clue what that is supposed to be because I assumed that was Dream Zanarkand but that makes the opening make no sense so I'm totally lost.

Real Zanarkand with its freaky rear end stone pile of Fayth is in Mt. Gagazet

Thing is a lot more things in the plot make sense, like Jecht just washing up on the shore of Spira, Sin smashing up any level of technology so Spirans can't leave the island and find Dream Zanarkand, the aforementioned riding of Sin to Zanarkand, it's kinda amazing.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!
Any advice on getting through the Gunner's Gauntlet in FFX-2? I got up to 409 points once but loving hell I hate this minigame and I"m tired of redoing it. :argh:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Feral posted:

Any advice on getting through the Gunner's Gauntlet in FFX-2? I got up to 409 points once but loving hell I hate this minigame and I"m tired of redoing it. :argh:

Hide in that one spot and use a screenkill shot whenever an enemy who drops screenkill ammo is on the screen

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

What? Are you serious?! How is it just hanging out in Spira??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

Dream Zanarkand is a summon. It's a really big-rear end summon but it's no different from any other summon, except it is being constantly summoned instead of waiting for Yuna to call it in.

Spira doesn't have the technology to go far beyond their shores because Sin can and will wreck the poo poo out of anything that tries.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Squallege posted:

The fayth on Mt. Gagazet are summoning it to something like 100 miles out, basically far enough that you need better boats than the glorified cruise ships and catamarans that they use on Spira. That's how Jecht got to Spira, he just got really drat lost/drunk/both while he was out at sea training.
EDIT: What Imp said.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ImpAtom posted:

Dream Zanarkand is a summon. It's a really big-rear end summon but it's no different from any other summon, except it is being constantly summoned instead of waiting for Yuna to call it in.

Spira doesn't have the technology to go far beyond their shores because Sin can and will wreck the poo poo out of anything that tries.

It'd be sick if the fayth were fighting a tonberry and then just dropped a zanarkand on him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It'd be sick if the fayth were fighting a tonberry and then just dropped a zanarkand on him

Man, considering the number of people Sin has killed, a Tonberry could probably oneshot him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, considering the number of people Sin has killed, a Tonberry could probably oneshot him.

Why do you think Sin stays in the water?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Barudak posted:

Why do you think Sin stays in the water?

Or flies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Literally Everyone's Grudge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sin is technically an Aeon so the little bastards could also just Voodoo it to death.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand, it's not that far from Baaj Temple (which is why Tidus ends up there originally) and you can go there pretty easily. By all accounts, you really should be able to fly to Dream Zanarkand when you get airship control. You just can't, because.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I don't think Tidus or even Auron knows where Dream Zanarkand actually is. It might be there but that doesn't help if they don't know where to look.

Then again they found the Omega Ruins...so I dunno.

I hear people say the Dark Aeons in International are tough poo poo and then there's also Penance. So I guess the "original" superbosses in X are chumps compared to all of them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I hear people say the Dark Aeons in International are tough poo poo and then there's also Penance. So I guess the "original" superbosses in X are chumps compared to all of them?

Prepare to grind on arena battles for ages to get strong enough to face them. Or Yojimbo.

Oxxidation posted:

Literally Everyone's Grudge.

Tonberry: The Final Aeon

I'm gonna keep thinking that Dream Zanarkand is like the Farplane and doesn't completely exist in Spira hence why only Unsent and Aeons can traverse to it. I thought they mentioned there was a barrier that Sin can transgress around Dream Zanarkand as well so that at least could explain why the Airship can't reach it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

On the other hand, it's not that far from Baaj Temple (which is why Tidus ends up there originally) and you can go there pretty easily. By all accounts, you really should be able to fly to Dream Zanarkand when you get airship control. You just can't, because.

You probably could if you had the coordinates but the only guy who might (Auron) is an rear end in a top hat. It's probably protected by other stuff too considering what it is.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

bradzilla posted:

Per the thread's advice I made the trek from Lake Macalania back to Besaid after Spherimorph. Two hours to get to Besaid and back, while running from every battle. :shepface: The encounter rates from the Moonflow on are loving ridiculous.

Could you enter the cloister when you got there? I'm looking at doing the same thing this weekend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Let us English posted:

Could you enter the cloister when you got there? I'm looking at doing the same thing this weekend.

Also, can you enter the Chamber of the Fayth when you do it or does it boot you out before you can do that? If you can that'll kind of mess up the plot flow but it will give you some neat bonus items.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I noticed something I'm not sure is a bug or glitch or what. Before I even got Doublecast or Ultima, all the -aga and down spells still cost 2 MP even after unlocking Lulu's weapon with the One MP Cost ability. After I got double cast all the individual spells cost 2 MP still. This doesn't happen with Yuna ether.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

mateo360 posted:

I noticed something I'm not sure is a bug or glitch or what. Before I even got Doublecast or Ultima, all the -aga and down spells still cost 2 MP even after unlocking Lulu's weapon with the One MP Cost ability. After I got double cast all the individual spells cost 2 MP still. This doesn't happen with Yuna ether.

Magic Booster doubles MP cost.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So people playing through X again: doesn't the fayth that tells Tidus about what he really is heavily imply that the fayth want him to kill Yu Yevon so they can "die" and stop summoning Dream Zanarkand constantly? I got the impression that they really just wanted to peacefully stop existing instead of this forced non-living dream state they are in. And yet, in FFX-2, they're back in action and summoning Tidus back into existence on a whim. It was one of the things that made X-2 feel like it sort of ignored the point of X's ending.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 28, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Its their way of saying thank you to Yuna for helping to free them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Systematic System posted:

The question is more why are they still around at all? I mean, that's why she's not still able to summon monsters, right? Because the Fayth stopped being a "thing."

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Too bad about that blitz bomb.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

The question is more why are they still around at all? I mean, that's why she's not still able to summon monsters, right? Because the Fayth stopped being a "thing."

Shyuin did something to them when he started messing around with Vengnagun/the Farplane, so presumably they got stuck around. That's why the dark aeons showed up as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

They are hanging out on the Farplane. They're not around except that Yuna visits the Farplane a few times. Shuyin was able to drag them out and enslave them which is how we got the Dark Aeons.

They have the power to resurrect Tidus because ~plot magic~

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Fayth: Yuna. I'm sorry. We weren't strong enough to stop him. We wanted to at least warn someone...but instead, we were dragged into the darkness. We're no better than fiends.

It's kinda like Imp said - everything is Pyreflies. Humans, Fiends, Aeons, Unsent, they're all kinda the same thing on the basic level. After FFX the Fayth spirits went onto the Farplane and finally "died" but they could come back if they really wanted to. Just like how Jyscal was sent but forced himself back in order to give someone that sphere and warn them about Seymour.

Yuna couldn't summon anymore because the Fayth are no longer bound to the statues that let people use them. It's why even though Lord Zaeon is hanging out in the Via Infinito, you can't use his Final Aeon statue in Zanarkand.

At the end of the day, it was just a convenient way to have you fight the aeons. That's really all there is to it and the justifications and explanations are flimsy at best.

Personally, I was bothered more by how the Farplane in X-2 became FFVII's Lifestream. I never got the impression from X that the Farplane was the core of the planet and made up of tons and tons of SOUL ENERGY.But that's pretty much the ending of X-2 and the explanation of how Vegnagun works.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

It could be that the Fayth just stopped constantly summoning the Dream Zanarkand and Sin/Yu Yevon. Your actions let them rest, finally, not destroy them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They are hanging out on the Farplane. They're not around except that Yuna visits the Farplane a few times. Shuyin was able to drag them out and enslave them which is how we got the Dark Aeons.

They have the power to resurrect Tidus because ~plot magic~

Ah, I guess the problem is I never got to the end of X-2. I suppose I should just Cat Nip gunner my way to the ending at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Personally, I was bothered more by how the Farplane in X-2 became FFVII's Lifestream. I never got the impression from X that the Farplane was the core of the planet and made up of tons and tons of SOUL ENERGY.But that's pretty much the ending of X-2 and the explanation of how Vegnagun works.

Well, they're both "the souls of people are made of energy, and the energy returns to the planet" even in FFX. FFX-2 just doubled down on it because FFVII was/is popular as gently caress.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Ah, I guess the problem is I never got to the end of X-2. I suppose I should just Cat Nip gunner my way to the ending at some point.

Hope you aren't planning on trying that in the Remaster! International version changed Cat Nip to give auto-berserk/slow as well as the 9999 thing. And all it gave you in exchange were monsters that could kill Trema in 30 seconds.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hope you aren't planning on trying that in the Remaster! International version changed Cat Nip to give auto-berserk/slow as well as the 9999 thing. And all it gave you in exchange were monsters that could kill Trema in 30 seconds.

Nope, the original release. My playthrough died when the 100% single run guide told me to "go ahead and clear out the Via Infinito" early in the last chapter, and Trema just kicked the poo poo out of me even with the Cat Nip. Now I don't care about getting 100%, so I could just finish it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Your guide lied to you. You only need to get to Floor 20 or 40 and get the Crimson Sphere there. Completing the whole thing is optional.

Also I like how the International versions just kinda make you feel insignificant.
"I couldn't even defeat Nemesis/Trema."
"The International version has bosses that make you PRAY to fight them!"

I'm a mediocre gamer at best and never could do well with superbosses....

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fuuuuuuck that

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Your guide lied to you. You only need to get to Floor 20 or 40 and get the Crimson Sphere there. Completing the whole thing is optional.

Also I like how the International versions just kinda make you feel insignificant.
"I couldn't even defeat Nemesis/Trema."
"The International version has bosses that make you PRAY to fight them!"

I'm a mediocre gamer at best and never could do well with superbosses....

There are percentage points in the last scenes in the Infinito.

But it's much easier to just NG+ and pick the faction you didn't pick the first time to make up for any lost points.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bradzilla posted:

Per the thread's advice I made the trek from Lake Macalania back to Besaid after Spherimorph. Two hours to get to Besaid and back, while running from every battle. :shepface: The encounter rates from the Moonflow on are loving ridiculous.

Oof. I'm starting to think ill just get Yojimbo and get him to cut dark valefor in half instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

bradzilla posted:

Aww you could've gotten a First Strike weapon for Tidus at Macalania Woods to practically decimate the backtrack time :(