Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Planet X posted:

I had the pleasure of being invited to a house session this week, so I actually got to sit in and play today! They don't get a chance to hear bluegrass banjo players often, so they handed me a 5 string, and I played a few tunes. One of the Irish tunes we played sounded a lot like Clinch Mtn Backstep, so when we were done I played that to show them how Irish trad music manifested itself strongly in bluegrass. The session leader and I jammed Blackberry Blossom a bit (he on accordion!) and they all got a big kick out of it. Glad I was able to bring something to the circle, because all the rest of the time I was listening intently, noodling, and doing backup chords. :unsmith:

This is very cool. I'm glad you got a chance to play some while on your trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah I've been a member over there for an embarrassingly long time given my current mandolin abilities. Tell you what, I will try and join you on the song a week project. It will give me an excuse to learn how to use the recording equipment I just picked up...

Did the first song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3U4tY2XWh8

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Planet X posted:

They were playing the same tune. I'm incredibly lucky to be in Galway for business, and one of the folks at work plays tenor banjo. She insisted that I head to the bar they jam at this past weekend, and I got there early and was seated right up with the musicians. I don't know much Irish music apart from a little bit of Pogues, Chieftains, Dubliners, so this was new territory for me. The music is so intricate and hypnotic, and definitely not as simple as some of the I-IV-V Bluegrass I'm used to playing and listening to. Lots of parts to it, and key changes in some of them. My Mother's maiden name is of Irish ancestry, so I felt really connected to it, especially in the moment.

I had the pleasure of being invited to a house session this week, so I actually got to sit in and play today! They don't get a chance to hear bluegrass banjo players often, so they handed me a 5 string, and I played a few tunes. One of the Irish tunes we played sounded a lot like Clinch Mtn Backstep, so when we were done I played that to show them how Irish trad music manifested itself strongly in bluegrass. The session leader and I jammed Blackberry Blossom a bit (he on accordion!) and they all got a big kick out of it. Glad I was able to bring something to the circle, because all the rest of the time I was listening intently, noodling, and doing backup chords. :unsmith:

Does anyone here play traditional Irish music?

I've been to a traditional Irish session in Galway, perhaps even the same bar! It was one of the best experiences of my life, and it was the convinced me to buy a banjo. Now granted, I ended up taking up clawhammer, but I would love to, someday, play traditional Irish music.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nice! I've been thinking of having both a tenor guitar and mandocello (or at least octave mandolin) in my future.

e. taken to PM

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2014

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
My brother wants to get into banjo so I restrung the one he has, except the groove that threads the fifth string to the peg is worn down and needs to be replaced. I figured a small piece of wood with the right adhesive and a groove cut into it would work fine but I don't want to possibly mess up the sound of it by using the wrong type of wood or glue. Does it matter?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have an instructional cassette tape of "Jugband Mandolin" for any of you hipster kids who want to play some gritty old-school mandolin. PM me or post if you want me to send it to you for frees.

Claimed. vvv

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 28, 2014

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I have an instructional cassette tape of "Jugband Mandolin" for any of you hipster kids.

I'm in to that. PM'd.

F hole
May 13, 2008

Can anyone give me some rules of thumb about good posture and hand position/picking angle? I've been playing for two weeks and I'm worried about picking up some bad habits that'll come back to haunt me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Avian posted:

Can anyone give me some rules of thumb about good posture and hand position/picking angle? I've been playing for two weeks and I'm worried about picking up some bad habits that'll come back to haunt me.

What instrument?

F hole
May 13, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

What instrument?

Sorry for not mentioning! 5 string banjo.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
- Take your right arm, and set it on your thigh, hang your right hand off of your knee, lightly. Now take that hand and transfer it to your banjo, that's more or less the position your right hand should be in, slightly turned so that the thumb is ahead of the other fingers.

- Pick perpendicular, as much as possible, to the strings. If you don't, itll give more of a scraping sound

- Dont scrape the head of the banjo with the picks. Playing with a mute will help you catch this

- Resonator banjos are heavy. Play sitting down, weight of the banjo on your lap, sit up straight if you can.

- Try and plant two fingers on the head of the banjo, but one is fine.

It's personal preference how high up you play the banjo up on your chest or low on your crotch. Most banjo players dont play super low like guitar players do.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Anyone care to comment on the Gretsch Guitars Root Series Dixie G9450?

It will be my first banjo and I can pick up a new one for 240. I am a bit tight on budget right now so Im not really willing to go any higher then that. You guys think this would be a worthy investment at that price level?

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I strung up my fretless Supertone with the new red Aquila Nylgut. They're tied in a fisherman's knot onto the 'no-knot' tail piece. No sharp edges or anything, but the string broke over night without me even touching it. I never had that problem with the regular white classical or minstral nylgut. If you get the reds, don't tune them up to pitch for about a week!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm getting a custom clawhammer banjo built for me. Any thoughts on a 11-inch vs a 12-inch pot size?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Bubbacub posted:

I'm getting a custom clawhammer banjo built for me. Any thoughts on a 11-inch vs a 12-inch pot size?

I have both, and while the sounds are different, neither is "better". It's a personal preference thing. I tend to find that a 12inch pot brings out the deep richness of bass notes well. I also like a 12 inch pot on a woody(wood tone ring). I find the 11 inch pot brings out the brightness of high notes better. Personally, I like an 11 inch pot with a metal tone ring. There is also a difference in sound that I can't really describe well in words-to me an 11inch has notes that sound more "clean" or "precise". Those are not the right words, as 12 inch is not "dirty" or "imprecise". But I feel like maybe the decay of sound lasts longer on my 12inchers so there is more overlap of sounds and more ringing out than the 11inchers if that makes sense. Best thing would be to go somewhere and play some banjos to see which you like better if that's an option. Barring that, google and YouTube some sound files or vids to see which you like best.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Gonna go see the Del McCoury band with Dave Grisman in a couple hours. Stoked.

e:

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 17, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Bubbacub posted:

The smaller pots are more comfortable to me. I have a 13" metal clad rim that sounds amazing in minstrel tuning way down to C or D, but is just too big and heavy to be comfortable. The 12" tackhead is really comfortable though, because it's so light. Are you using steel or nylon strings? If nylon, get the bigger pot.
I've seen some old people with $1000+ luxery banjos that sound like a dumbass plucking on an old coke can because these old rich fools don't know jack about the instrument. It's a shame. These guys who haven't played for at least 4-5 years should start with something cheap. I got a Roy Smeck Harmony for $100 on ebay, with good action and the original calf-skin. It's great for practice but isn't loud enough for playing in front of a group. Do what you do, but those custom banjos are $$$$ expensive. There is a charm about inexpensive, pre-great depression banjos that can't be replicated.

crikster fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pantomime Horse posted:

Gonna go see the Del McCoury band with Dave Grisman in a couple hours. Stoked.

e:

Envy.

How was the show? I keep missing David when I visit Berkeley, including being one day short of a show by Andy Statman

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yesterday, we went to the Charm City bluegrass festival here in Baltimore. Pretty good lineup, with Noam Pikelney and Friends (him, Chris E and the fiddle player from Punch Brothers, old mandolin player from the Stringdusters, and Allison Kraus' bassist). Headliner was Jerry Douglas, who I had never seen before. Fun day all in all, and the bassist from Seldom Scene was there doing some jamming with us on the side. Sierra Hull and a few other regional acts too. 12 hours of great music.

It's the second one they've had, this one was definitely better than the one at Union Brewery last year.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I am visiting this thread after touring a few pawn shops that had banjos for sale. I saw a few deering banjos for sale. And was interested in learning a little more about low end banjos. The music pawn downtown had allot of washburn banjos for sale. Im not looking to spend allot of money on a banjo since I dont have allot of money at this point.

I took a quick look at the hangout and half the people are about low end starters and half would like you to get a expensive one to start(les paul studio type money).

Should i be looking for one with a resonator? What about finding one off ebay?

Or is the best answer to hold a bunch at GuitarCenter and make some noise(no idea how to play) and try to find a used one (pawn, craigs, ebay)?

I'm going to go check the price of the deering tomarrow and hold it.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

polar posted:

I am visiting this thread after touring a few pawn shops that had banjos for sale. I saw a few deering banjos for sale. And was interested in learning a little more about low end banjos. The music pawn downtown had allot of washburn banjos for sale. Im not looking to spend allot of money on a banjo since I dont have allot of money at this point.

I took a quick look at the hangout and half the people are about low end starters and half would like you to get a expensive one to start(les paul studio type money).

Should i be looking for one with a resonator? What about finding one off ebay?

Or is the best answer to hold a bunch at GuitarCenter and make some noise(no idea how to play) and try to find a used one (pawn, craigs, ebay)?

I'm going to go check the price of the deering tomarrow and hold it.

What style of banjo music do you plan on playing-bluegrass, Old Time, Jazz, Irish? Are you looking at 4 string banjos or 5 string banjos? Are you planning on using your nails, finger picks, or a plectrum/pick to play?

Here are some generalities (not 100% true in all cases, but for most):
5 string with resonator with fingerpicks=Bluegrass
5 string openback/without resonator using the nails of your hand=Old Time music
4 string Tenor with a pick= Jazz or Irish (the jazz ones usually have a resonator, the Irish may not)
4 string plectrum banjo with a pick=Jazz

These are things you should think about and research before you start looking at banjos. I would say do not buy a banjo off ebay. Also, do not buy one from guitar center. Pawn shops...iffy at best. It might be a treasure or it might be junk.

Deering is a respectable name in banjos-they make all 4 of the style of banjos I listed. Their low end models are affordable and sound and play pretty good. Not professional quality, but good enough for practice purposes. Their high end stuff is amazing and professional quality, but expensive.

You might check out Gold Tone Banjos online. They produce some amazing, affordable entry level stuff. My first banjos were all Gold Tones and served me well for years.

Whichever route you go, I highly recommend you either buy from a play that will set up your banjo for you or find a local luthier who can set up whatever banjo you buy. Set up is a series of various tweaks, adjustments, etc that can be made to improve a banjos sound and playability or to cater to the owner. Unless you buy from a place that specializes in banjos, they probably are not doing any kind of set up and will sound bad and be hard to play.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I just dug my banjo out the other day after taking a 6-8 month sabbatical form it.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I play Old Time/Clawhammer Banjo and Old Time Fiddle (I'm not very good, but I'm trying to learn). I recently started back playing after a long hiatus (maybe 6-8 months) of not playing or practicing at all. I had a couple of questions:

1) I've been re-evaluating my practice regimen. The way I practiced before (sloppily and hurriedly playing through every tune I half way know)was neither efficient nor effective. I've been practicing each instrument consistently every day 30-90 minutes each, properly warming up, practicing scales and basic fundamental techniques (e.g. clawhammer stroke and bowing), using a metronome, slowing down, and breaking the tunes down and isolating problem areas, rather than just playing through the whole tune. I feel like I've seen a lot of improvement in a relatively short time because of this.

My question is, how do you practice? What is your regimen? Any recommendations or suggestions?

2) Any recommendations for a good Old Time Fiddle book? I have a teacher, so I am not looking for a book to replace my teacher-just something to supplement. I currently own Fiddle from Scratch (Levenson), Old Time Favorites for Fiddle and Mandolin (Levenson), Old Time Fiddle for the Complete Ignoramus (Erbsen), and Old Time Fiddle Style (Kolodner).

3)Any goons on Banjo Hangout or Fiddle Hangout? If so, send a friend request my way or let me know your username, and I'll send you one. I'm laertes22 on there, too.

Happy picking and bowing.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is tablEdit 2.71 broken or something? I can't figure out how to get the note durations the way that I want them.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I've enjoyed bluegrass music for a while now and I'm thinking I'd like to get into playing - I wondered if anyone might be able to help me decide on what instrument to go for?

I've always been more of a listener to, than a player of, music - I've been dicking about with a ukulele for a few weeks and I took guitar lessons for a few months about fourteen years ago but aside from that I don't have any experience with an instrument, so I'd want something that's fairly easy for a beginner. I'm also on kind of a budget.

I was initially looking at banjos but I've also been considering appalachian dulcimer, as I'd heard it was one of the easiest instruments for a beginner to pick up (though they're kind of hard to get hold of in the UK), and mandolin (as it seems you can pick them up fairly cheaply). Any advice welcome.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Owlkill posted:

I've enjoyed bluegrass music for a while now and I'm thinking I'd like to get into playing - I wondered if anyone might be able to help me decide on what instrument to go for?

I've always been more of a listener to, than a player of, music - I've been dicking about with a ukulele for a few weeks and I took guitar lessons for a few months about fourteen years ago but aside from that I don't have any experience with an instrument, so I'd want something that's fairly easy for a beginner. I'm also on kind of a budget.

I was initially looking at banjos but I've also been considering appalachian dulcimer, as I'd heard it was one of the easiest instruments for a beginner to pick up (though they're kind of hard to get hold of in the UK), and mandolin (as it seems you can pick them up fairly cheaply). Any advice welcome.

I am a former bluegrass banjo and mandolin player (eventually realized bluegrass wasn't my thing and I now play clawhammer banjo and Old Time fiddle. I'll give you my take, although it is no more than my opinion. Since you already have some guitar experience , why no bluegrass guitar? Presumably you already own a guitar. My understand is that is mainly alternating bass string and chord strums or flat picking.
Most bluegrass players play resonator banjos with tone rings, and they are the more expensive ones. I would say bare minimum, prepare to pay 700-1000. That is for a basic starter bluegrass banjo, like a gold tone bg250. To me, anything much cheaper than that would not be a good instrument to learn on. Just my opinion, others may disagree. You'll eventually need either railroad spikes or a 5th string capo installed if you want to play with others. And eventually, if you stick with it, you'll probably want to upgrade which will run you into the multiple thousands of dollars. Or if you get a decent starter instrument, it may suit your needs and last you forever. Join the Banjo Hangout. Lots of amazing players from all over the world. You can ask questions. They'll give advice.
For mandolin, most bluegrass guys play f-style mandolins, which has the little scroll dealy at the top. As opposed to a-style which are round and possibly have a round hole instead of the little f-shaped holes. F-style are more expensive. You can play a style in blue grass but the sound is not quite the same and if you play with other people, they will probably annoyingly ask why you don't play a f-style. You can get cheap mandolins, but they are probably made in China and look and play like crap. Expensive mandolins are more expensive than expensive banjos, which is saying something. I suggest joining Mandolin Hangout and possibly Mandolin Cafe. Although the MC folks can be a bit pretentious.
Whatever route you go,ask sure that whoever sells you your instrument does proper setup. Cheap mandos and banjos right out if the box are not set up well and won't sound or play well. Also both if the Hangouts have classifieds where people sell used instruments. You might be able to get a deal.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Good advice. On a budget as a beginner, get a guitar. You can strum along and learn a few flatpicking melody lines. Eventually, you can make friends in the jam scene and see some of the instruments up close and maybe noodle around on them. Have an acoustic instrument store near you? Go try some out, and get an idea of prices. I will say that there's not a lot of dulcimers in bluegrass jams, but that shouldn't necessarily stop you. See if there are any bluegrass jams or festivals in your area.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

laertes22 posted:

I play Old Time/Clawhammer Banjo and Old Time Fiddle (I'm not very good, but I'm trying to learn). I recently started back playing after a long hiatus (maybe 6-8 months) of not playing or practicing at all. I had a couple of questions:

1) I've been re-evaluating my practice regimen. The way I practiced before (sloppily and hurriedly playing through every tune I half way know)was neither efficient nor effective. I've been practicing each instrument consistently every day 30-90 minutes each, properly warming up, practicing scales and basic fundamental techniques (e.g. clawhammer stroke and bowing), using a metronome, slowing down, and breaking the tunes down and isolating problem areas, rather than just playing through the whole tune. I feel like I've seen a lot of improvement in a relatively short time because of this.

My question is, how do you practice? What is your regimen? Any recommendations or suggestions?

My practice regimen needs improvement. I bounce back and forth from straight playing to practicing. I'm a bluegrass player, so I generally am trying to work up breaks to stuff my band is learning. That or practicing scales or reading out of the Earl book or the Trishka melodic book. I have started using a handheld recorder to grab ideas as I get them. I'll be sitting on the couch and come up with a lick that I like that I feel should fit somewhere in my playing, so i'll grab it and use it to record the lick. It's been helpful.

laertes22 posted:

2) Any recommendations for a good Old Time Fiddle book? I have a teacher, so I am not looking for a book to replace my teacher-just something to supplement. I currently own Fiddle from Scratch (Levenson), Old Time Favorites for Fiddle and Mandolin (Levenson), Old Time Fiddle for the Complete Ignoramus (Erbsen), and Old Time Fiddle Style (Kolodner).

No, but my cousin is a pretty accomplished Old Time fiddler, so I can ask her. As well, I am good friends with Brad Kolodner, so I assume the old time book you reference is his Dads (Ken). If you want, I can certainly send them an email with your post quoted and get some ideas from both of them on supplemental material. Let me know.

Also, I am still looking for a cheap but decent mandolin if anyone has any leads. I haven't tried the Mandolin cafe yet, and I go to craigslist from time to time.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I posted a while back about getting a mandolin and I ended up passing on the Fender. But I wandered in the store today and walked out with an Epiphone mandolin. They didn't have a great selection (okay it was a garbage selection) but of the bunch that was the best, and it was on sale for $120. I have no idea if it is a decent mandolin but it sounds fine and is set up properly.

I play guitar decently and play ukulele, and grabbed the Mel Bay book. Any other things anyone would recommend, and recommended mandolin listening? I don't know what I plan on doing with it other than having another small instrument to chuck in the bag and play at the park yet. But hey, it's fun.

Also those strings are loving murder on my fingers. And I'm playing with a tortex pick that I feel is going to snap in half if I keep playing it like I play my guitar!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I play guitar decently and play ukulele, and grabbed the Mel Bay book. Any other things anyone would recommend

This is absolutely the best possible mandolin-related way to spend $4.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I'd also add that if you don't already play mandolin with very heavy picks, try it. I used .80 mm tortex picks for years until I saw the light and switched to 1.5mm D'Andrea triangular picks. Lately I'm even starting to feel like the 2mm Dunlop Big Stubby picks are where it's at. The difference in volume and tone is significant.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 3, 2014

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I know I'm in the market for a 5 string. I am leaning to the side of the resonator since I can do bluegrass as well as oldtime ( but more interested in the fingure picking). I also see that the open backs are cheaper but could afford a resonator. The shop next to my house has a few around my price range. It's it interesting though that as you get into a metal tone ring, things get really heavy, more expensive and better sounding. I'm rather intrigued by the banjo hangouts love for recording king and dislike for goldtone. They maybe just all have really expensive banjos.

Why recording king over goldtone? Should I go for a drive to check one of the recording kings out with a tone ring? Since the shop near me has the deerings entry level(goodtime 2), and a entery level recording king( rk-20), the mid priced banjos are 2 goldtones(bg-250, ob-250), and 2 high end deerings(sierra and ?). I am somewhat interested in seeing a RK-35 or a cc-100r

The place an hour away has a sale going on, I'm going to call about it tomarrow, since they have a selection of recording kings. and some high end ones, as well as a 70's gibson gb-250 ( all depends on price, availability, and sale)

After playing with the ones at the shop I like the 2 goldtones, although they are a little more than I wanted to spend (limited selection). A couple people have hinted at getting something nice so I wont have to upgrade for a long time.

polar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 14, 2014

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

polar posted:

I know I'm in the market for a 5 string. I am leaning to the side of the resonator since I can do bluegrass as well as oldtime ( but more interested in the fingure picking). I also see that the open backs are cheaper but could afford a resonator. The shop next to my house has a few around my price range. It's it interesting though that as you get into a metal tone ring, things get really heavy, more expensive and better sounding. I'm rather intrigued by the banjo hangouts love for recording king and dislike for goldtone. They maybe just all have really expensive banjos.

Why recording king over goldtone? Should I go for a drive to check one of the recording kings out with a tone ring? Since the shop near me has the deerings entry level(goodtime 2), and a entery level recording king( rk-20), the mid priced banjos are 2 goldtones(bg-250, ob-250), and 2 high end deerings(sierra and ?). I am somewhat interested in seeing a RK-35 or a cc-100r

The place an hour away has a sale going on, I'm going to call about it tomarrow, since they have a selection of recording kings. and some high end ones, as well as a 70's gibson gb-250 ( all depends on price, availability, and sale)

After playing with the ones at the shop I like the 2 goldtones, although they are a little more than I wanted to spend (limited selection). A couple people have hinted at getting something nice so I wont have to upgrade for a long time.

Well, I play clawhammer (Old Time music/open back banjo), but I started out originally playing Bluegrass on a resonator banjo. My first banjo was a Gold Tone BG-250. It was a great banjo. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If possible, you should find a store that will do the setup properly though, because they are not great right out of the box. I am a member of the BHO, but I will admit that there can be a bit of banjo snobbery there. A lot of the folks there take offense to a clawhammer player playing a resonator, even though most of the great old timers used them for clawhammer as well as bluegrass. I would not recommend the Deering Goodtime for Bluegrass. The open back Goodtime is a decent enough starter for Old Time/Clawhammer, but I'm not a big fan of the resonator version.A nice Gold tone like the BG-250 which is properly set up for bluegrass is a great starter banjo that will probably keep you satisfied for year. If you stick with it, you may eventually want to upgrade. conversely, if you can afford a high end Gibson, Deering, or Stelling go for it. Avoid brand new Gibsons, as they have had some QC issues in recent years. Also, if you get a high end instrument, you still need to get it set up properly. I have never played a Recording King and don't know much about them, but Bela Fleck plays one, so I assume they must be OK. Best of luck and happy picking!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm currently learning bluegrass on a Goodtime and using finger picks and I don't think I'd want it much louder for practicing. Also I found it to be lighter without the resonator so its been a little easier for me in that way. ymmv though

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I started off on a Deering Goodtime resonator.

- Pros are its price, it's American made, you can take the resonator off of it to switch to clawhammer, and it's a great starter instrument. It's also light like Bonzo said, so it's easy to practice with. The heavier 5 strings can be a bit much, sometimes.
- Cons are that if you're going to go to jams with it, it really doesn't hold well as a main instrument in the long term. It simply does not have the volume and tone you need to cut through at jams. It doesn't "crack" like the more expensive models. It's not as adjustable, action wise, I don't think.

I played that for a while, definitely wanted to upgrade, so I got the Gold Star GF 100, which is (I think) like the ob-25 in that it's basically a Chinese copy of the Gibson RB-250, which is common. They play really well. If you've got the funds and really think you're going to stick with it, it's worth the investment. They play nicer than some of the more inexpensive models, and have the tone. Banjos really jump up in price, though.

Someone told me one time that banjos are the hotrods of the acoustic instrument world because the parts are so interchangeable. People spend a lot of time and money going through bridges, tone rings, string gauges, etc chasing a perfect sound. Read up, of course, but you can read all day about people's opinions, especially those obsessed with the "pre war" sound. Don't worry too much about it.

Go play as many as you can, and get the one that feels good. Definitely get whoever you get it from to set it up correctly.

You can definitely play clawhammer on a resonator, but the sound is a little different and it's a little trickier because the action on true clawhammer banjos is higher. Ralph Stanley plays clawhammer on his resonator. I ended up just taking the resonator off my Goodtime once I got the Gold Star, so it's now my clawhammer / easy pickin' kind banjo.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Bumping because I was given a banjo and after toying with it last night I'm starting to fall for it. I've always enjoyed Bluegrass music (being a KY resident helps) and might just start seeking lessons here soon when I get some spare cash. I've also been slowly learning ukulele as well.

It's a Recording King. Not sure which model.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

cheese eats mouse posted:

Bumping because I was given a banjo and after toying with it last night I'm starting to fall for it. I've always enjoyed Bluegrass music (being a KY resident helps) and might just start seeking lessons here soon when I get some spare cash. I've also been slowly learning ukulele as well.

It's a Recording King. Not sure which model.

Just curious, are you playing clawhammer style, old time 2/3 finger style, bluegrass/scruggs style, or something else?
Either way, always good to have another banjo player. Good luck, and ask questions, if you have them.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That's quite a question for a total banjo newb. I plan on digging around more to see what I like this weekend.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I recently came into a banjo but I don't know much about it and my cursory googling isn't really helping. It's a five string "Hofner" with a resonator. It was sitting in some guys attic for a very long time and is covered in dust and had a bunch of dead spiders in the resonator ( I took it off briefly to dust inside when i got it in hind sight I hope that wasn't a huge nono or something). It sounds OK to me (but I know nothing) though my brother said it'll need a new bridge and strings. I'm hoping to use it for some lessons but really have no idea about the banjo's quality or lack thereof.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I recently came into a banjo but I don't know much about it and my cursory googling isn't really helping. It's a five string "Hofner" with a resonator. It was sitting in some guys attic for a very long time and is covered in dust and had a bunch of dead spiders in the resonator ( I took it off briefly to dust inside when i got it in hind sight I hope that wasn't a huge nono or something). It sounds OK to me (but I know nothing) though my brother said it'll need a new bridge and strings. I'm hoping to use it for some lessons but really have no idea about the banjo's quality or lack thereof.

I'm not overly familiar with Hofner's banjo, but I did a search on the Banjo Hangout (probably the best banjo related forum. You should check them out). If it is a pre 1970 Hofner, then it may be a legit high quality vintage banjo. After 1970, they were mainly cheap Asian knock offs. If you can find the serial number, that might be a clue. If it is the latter, it is hard to tell you how good of an instrument it is or how it will play/sound, but probably not amazing. Taking the resonator off is no big deal. Just make sure that when you put it back in, you tighten each screw a little bit at a time instead of doing each screw all the way, one at a time. Also, don't use a wrench or tool to tighten. Just use your hand to screw them in "finger tight". New Bridges and strings are relatively cheap, and it is not overly difficult to restring a banjo or to place a new bridge. Google or YouTube how to place a banjo rules, because if the bridge is misplaced, the intonation of the notes will be off when you play. Luckily there are like a million online tutorials on how to do it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have a serial number I can find. I put the strings and bridge on though I did that wrong so ill have to restring it. I put the bridge over where the old one was and it maaay be the wrong spot. The resonator is held on by one big back screw I tightened it till there was no wiggle in the resonator gently but ill look at that's as well so I can hand tighten it. I'll try to get a pic up maybe that will help. Any tips on cleaning dust off these without hurting them?

• Locked thread