Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DFu4ever posted:

While I've really not cared for the Transformer films (especially the exceptionally terrible second one), I still think Bay's movies always look phenomenal. Sure, his work is chock full of gimmicky poo poo like the 'camera pans around the actor in epic fashion' shot that pops up in every movie he makes, but it all looks loving fantastic.

And I have to admit, this doesn't look that bad. The mask joke at the end was pretty funny.

Michael Bay is the producer not director :flashfact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Never saw TMNT but I'll definitely be seeing that one. Reminded me a little of the first live movie (obviously the best to this point)

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I really don't like Megan Fox's acting so I wasn't going to see it regardless of whether or not Bay was directing .

Also am I the only one who genuinely liked Raimi's Green Goblin costume?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Michael Bay is the producer not director :flashfact:

Aw poo poo. I guess its the dude who did Battle Los Angeles.

Still, it looks surprisingly good.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

goldenoreos posted:

Also am I the only one who genuinely liked Raimi's Green Goblin costume?

Prior to ASM2's Goblin, I was of the opinion that it was probably the best way you were going to pull it off and not have it look really corny and stupid. I really like how ASM2's doing it, though, and I think it's probably the only real way to pull off something like the comics.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I was a huge fan of Raimi Goblin when it came out, and to this day, I don't really get the Power Rangers jokes, I think it looked just intimidating enough to work, but not clash with the other design styles of the film.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

You watch a lot of movies about giant mutant martial artists?

Actually yes, that's what every superhero movie is :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hakkesshu posted:

Actually yes, that's what every superhero movie is :v:

Um Excuse me, Marvel's movies don't have mutants.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Solaris Knight posted:

I was a huge fan of Raimi Goblin when it came out, and to this day, I don't really get the Power Rangers jokes, I think it looked just intimidating enough to work, but not clash with the other design styles of the film.

You can like it or not like it, but how do you not get the Power Rangers jokes/references?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

You can like it or not like it, but how do you not get the Power Rangers jokes/references?

I watched the original power rangers a lot as a kid and honestly I don't get it either.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a cheap plastic suit that wouldn't look out of place on a TV show.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

It's a cheap plastic suit that wouldn't look out of place on a TV show.

Fair enough, it just never screamed power rangers to me when I saw that movie in theaters. And I was literally the only person in the theater for the Power Rangers movie.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I wish the helmet had been explained a bit more, since the rest was just the suit and glider we'd seen earlier in the movie, and the whole thing could have used some purple, but it fit pretty well into what Raimi was doing.

And the Power Rangers movie is gold. Don't let anybody tell you different.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Solaris Knight posted:

Just seemed like a huge waste of Willem Defoe to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It combined the worst aspects of being an unbelievable comic booky costume and dumb "realistic" metallic power armor you always see in hollywood adaptations. It looked bad and plastic-y, and didn't allow for any facial expressions whatsoever, not even in the eyes. It was awful in every way, and very clearly designed by committee to maximize toyetic appeal. Apparently it cost a ton to make, too.

I still hate Harry's Winter X-games costume more because at least Norman's costume looked like something you could point at and say "that's a goblin".

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lurdiak posted:

It combined the worst aspects of being an unbelievable comic booky costume and dumb "realistic" metallic power armor you always see in hollywood adaptations. It looked bad and plastic-y, and didn't allow for any facial expressions whatsoever, not even in the eyes. It was awful in every way, and very clearly designed by committee to maximize toyetic appeal. Apparently it cost a ton to make, too.

I still hate Harry's Winter X-games costume more because at least Norman's costume looked like something you could point at and say "that's a goblin".

They couldn't even decide on what to call Harry, all the merch referred to him as "New Goblin" which is a placeholder name if I've ever seen one. The scene of the Goblin lair in SM-3 is awful too where they show the costume transition going from Goblin mask to silver Goblin Mask then Snowboarder mask like it's a logical progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNacszZMmGI

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw a thing about SM3 once where they said James Franco is the one who came up with Snowboarder Ninja as the idea for his costume.

Yea, why shouldn't get actors who's diet consists mostly of pot to have any say.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Just to give a bit of balance, I saw Captain America 2 last night and I thought it was very enjoyable. The stunts and set-pieces were great, and the way Cap moved and acted, you could believe he is a guy worthy and skilled enough to lead the Avengers. Evans felt like a hero in this one, whereas in the original he failed to convince he deserved the reputation he was supposed to have had in WWII.

There was lots of use of his Shield which was always a joy to watch - especially the opener and the bridge scene. I thought it was great how they crammed in so many characters and nods - it's universe building. It was big, it was bombastic, and it was a good blend of two (or three if you twist it a little) great S.H.I.E.L.D/Captain America/Ultimates stories.

They either cut or didn't film a rather obvious scene, but the movie is already fairly long, so I can see why it didn't make the final film. The Falcon flight scenes were great - gave me the same giddy joy of flight feeling that IM1 did. They were fast scenes, but it didn't feel too busy.

Robert Redford was great. I'm still a little disappointed Weaving didn't return given how we never actually saw him die in the last one.

Johansson got a lot of screen time, and was clearly the equal of Cap, but in different ways. She also actually acted unlike Portman in Thor 2 who was just terrible and going through the motions. The film didn't have anything like the dynamic of Thor/Loki in it though, but the villain was much more menacing and slightly more nuanced than the Dark Elf King.

I thought Hydra's goals and structure were completely consistent with the comic books and indeed what was stated in the movies - there isn't necessarily meant to be a single head of Hydra - during Secret Warriors there was a council of them, with half betraying the other half and it was glorious. And their motivation in this film was fairly consistent too.

It's definitely a must see movie, and one of the strongest superhero sequels. Better than Iron Man 2, (not 3) and Thor 2 (Hemsworth and Hiddleston's relationship is what lifts Thor 2 up above a forgettable plot and extremely unlikeable female lead).

The only problem is that the events in it effectively throws Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D under a bus. Especially for us Blighty people as we only just saw episode 12 last week.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just got back from Cap 2. It's a really loving great Secret Warriors film, but a pretty disappointing Winter Soldier one. I really enjoyed it, and probably wouldn't have many complaints about it if it wasn't called "Winter Solder".

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Milotic posted:

The only problem is that the events in it effectively throws Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D under a bus. Especially for us Blighty people as we only just saw episode 12 last week.

Do you mind elaborating on this? I've seen the movie, but I stopped watching the show a while ago and I'm just curious how the movie affects the show.

VVVV ah, I thought there was something specific it did to the show or episode that was mentioned

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 28, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Do you mind elaborating on this? I've seen the movie, but I stopped watching the show a while ago and I'm just curious how the movie affects the show.
SHIELD no longer exists...

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Not only that but every secret they ever had was released to the internet. Kinda hard to do the whole drawn out tedious shadowy-spy-cliche that is AoS's stock in trade after that.

I loved Secret Warriors, but I never read Winter Soldier, so I don't know if I'm seeing the movie in a more positive light because I didn't know what to expect on that front.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Milotic posted:

I loved Secret Warriors, but I never read Winter Soldier, so I don't know if I'm seeing the movie in a more positive light because I didn't know what to expect on that front.
I just felt he really took a back-seat to the Hydra stuff. It could/should have been 2 separate films. I presume from the ending that they'll now do a film of Steve and Sam chasing him down?

Oh I really loved Sam too, he had really great chemistry with Cap, and the action sequences of him flying were amazing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

irlZaphod posted:

I just got back from Cap 2. It's a really loving great Secret Warriors film, but a pretty disappointing Winter Soldier one. I really enjoyed it, and probably wouldn't have many complaints about it if it wasn't called "Winter Solder".

The titular Winter Soldier is not Bucky, it's Cap.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Milotic posted:

Not only that but every secret they ever had was released to the internet. Kinda hard to do the whole drawn out tedious shadowy-spy-cliche that is AoS's stock in trade after that.

Good. Throw a wrench into that show and make the writers either sink or swim. It will be interesting to see them try and put their money where their mouth is with all of that "the real show is just beginning" bullshit.

Maybe we'll get something like Archer Vice.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What are we going to do with literally--not figuratively--a ton of vibranium?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 28, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Keep a small African nation financially afloat long enough to hold off foreign colonists into the modern era? Make earth a target for (more) alien invasions? Build an army of unstoppable Ultron bots?

(Is this a rhetorical question?)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peek-a-boo!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I feel so conflicted everytime I see more of The Rhino in ASM2. On the one hand that suit looks pretty fantastic, but on the other I really want to see Paul Giamatti in a dumb Death-To-Smoochy-looking rubber rhino suit. :sigh:

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I preferred the pre-cgi look when he was on a cart carried by faceless ninjas

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really want the movie to end with him being transformed into a actual Rhino suitted man, so we can get Paul Giamatti and the true Rhino :allears:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Solaris Knight posted:

I really want the movie to end with him being transformed into a actual Rhino suitted man, so we can get Paul Giamatti and the true Rhino :allears:

You know, if that doesn't happen at the end of this movie it could still totally happen between films to explain his inclusion in the next.

Though is Rhino a part of the Sinister Six, traditionally? I'm actually not sure who all they are aside from what, Ock and Goblin?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, if that doesn't happen at the end of this movie it could still totally happen between films to explain his inclusion in the next.

Though is Rhino a part of the Sinister Six, traditionally? I'm actually not sure who all they are aside from what, Ock and Goblin?

Boomerang, Overdrive, Speed Demon, Beetle, and Shocker.

That is the only Sinister Six movie I want to see made.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gravy Train Robber posted:

And Dormammu! He could be the sixth one, right?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

But that's only five people! Who's the sixth guy? Man, he must be really great if you don't see him much.

Everything of Superior Foes makes me want a TV series based on it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The original Sinister Six was Doc Ock, Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, Electro and Vulture.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The post credits/end scene sets up The Sinister Six stuff or so Sony have said. As far as who is in it the trailer has already shown Ock and Vulture.

I would guess the would go Ock, Vulture, Goblin, Electro, Lizard (depending on what Ryhs Ifans is like) and Venom.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Timeless Appeal posted:

What are we going to do with literally--not figuratively--a ton of vibranium?

Is this from Agents of Shield?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kal-L posted:

Is this from Agents of Shield?
Ya'll need to watch Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
"Hulk Smash! ... seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?"