Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why yes, I do support the most exciting team. Thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Unimpressed posted:

Don't you support the Hurricanes? :supaburn:

I was genuinely confused for a moment when a poster implied that he supported The Hurricanes, because he lived in Wellington.

This entire thread supports The Hurricanes, because our lives are more exciting that way.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I was looking for a Super Rugby team to support and I wanted one that would fill me with hope but in the end let me down,an Australian friend told me to support the Waratahs.They're looking good so far,hopefully I can watch them lose in some ridiculous fashion later in the series.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Swan Curry posted:

I was looking for a Super Rugby team to support and I wanted one that would fill me with hope but in the end let me down,an Australian friend told me to support the Waratahs.They're looking good so far,hopefully I can watch them lose in some ridiculous fashion later in the series.

Why wait? With Folau out this week (at least), you can watch them lose in ridiculous fashion to the Sharks this very weekend. Better yet, I'm assuming you're NH, so it will be in SA and much closer to your timezone.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I can't wait :allears:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I think I've settled on the Sharks as my team for the SH. This is almost entirely influenced by the fact that they have The Beast, a man named after a battleship and Jannie du Plessis who was swearing about the scrum to the ref who's mic was still on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Swan Curry posted:

My friend let me tell you about the Lions. The last time the Lions won this tournament there were only 10 teams in it. For the last....dozen or so years the Lions have been terrible. In fact they redefined what it means to be terrible. They were so terrible that if you had to look up terrible in the dictionary it would say "see Lions". You think I am joking but I am not. For proof the Lions, one of the biggest and longest running unions in South Africa was kicked out of the Super Rugby tournament. Kicked out. Replaced by a team no-one knew existed, but figured had to be better than the Lions. Replaced by a team with no international capped players. A team that has never played in an international tournament before. A team that is a second league team in South Africa's national competition (well not second league but far below the big boys). They were doomed for failure but the people that kicked the Lions out assumed that this team couldn't suck as much as the Lions did. They did suck though, and the Lions were reinstated back into the tournament. Everyone still expects the Lions to suck.
Right now the Lions are 4th in the league and are 4-2.
I believe they fulfill your criteria.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Not to discourage a potential Tahs supporter, but I think the above advice is good. The Lions are in your time zone. You will never be accused of jumping on the bandwagon for supporting them (they really do suck). And, most importantly, the Tahs will never give you anything but disappointment.

This is guaranteed.

It is actually written into the super rugby guiding principles or whatever that the Tahs will never win. Furthermore, they will not simply suck, as that would be too easy. They will perform well at times, always giving you a hint, nay a suggestions even, that this year may be the year. Alas, you will be blue balled (yes that's deep on so many levels) and will have to go home and find a loving sock.

That said, this year is definitely our year, and we will finally break the drought. I have no doubt, I'll even take a toxx if anyone can suggest something reasonable.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Oh FFS. Just when the Sharks looked like they were going places...

http://www.superxv.com/41948/1/sharks-lose-lambie-for-the-super-rugby-season#.UzDNmahX-uY

At least they didn't lose to the Force though :laugh:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Stop bullying the waratahs guys, they'll win someday :(

Signed
- a rusted on supporter

ColtMcAsskick fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 25, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In a perfect world the Waratahs will make it to the finals. Only to lose to the Lions.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

A pulling for a Force v Lions final.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

A pulling for a Force v Lions final.

Who wants to see two teams full of south africans play each other?

e: also, similarly to a Bledisloe in Sydney, there would probably be as many local Lions supporters as Force supporters if it was played in Perth.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unimpressed posted:

e: also, similarly to a Bledisloe in Sydney, there would probably be as many local Lions supporters as Force supporters if it was played in Perth.

Same could be said for a Waratahs vs. Lions game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

To be fair, every Australian team is mostly New Zealanders and South Africans.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

Same could be said for a Waratahs vs. Lions game.

I go to most games in Sydney. There are many more Kiwis in a game against NZ or a NZ Super Rugby team than there are Saffers in a game vs SA/SA SR team.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unimpressed posted:

I go to most games in Sydney. There are many more Kiwis in a game against NZ or a NZ Super Rugby team than there are Saffers in a game vs SA/SA SR team.

That is quite sad to hear. I am going to be in Sydney next month. Wish there were some games to go see.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Madkal posted:

I am going to be in Sydney next month. Wish there were some games to go see.

Waratahs vs the Bulls April 19th?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

That is quite sad to hear. I am going to be in Sydney next month. Wish there were some games to go see.

To be clear, I don't mean to say there are more NZ fans than Aus fans, just there are more NZ fans than SA fans. Last Beldisloe I went to, at ANZ stadium, I'd say about 30% of the crowd were Kiwis. And, yes, Waratahs v Bulls should be a great game. I'll be going, I even convinced my wife to come.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Waratahs vs the Bulls April 19th?

This would be a great game to watch (and I can support the Bulls as I used to live somewhat close to there even though I was more in the Johannesburg region) but I sadly leave on the 18th.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Bulls-Sharks was a thriller. Bulls are still my team but I am secretly hoping the Lions make the final :ssh:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

This entire thread supports The Hurricanes, because our lives are more exciting that way.

I have a confession to make.

It's me. I support the Blues. No, even if they insist on losing all the time.

Unless they pull a Cardiff FC and change the kit to red and then I'm out.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The blues are so poo poo that they let Piri Weepu play two more games before they realised he had had a stroke.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mister Chief posted:

The blues are so poo poo that they let Piri Weepu play two more games before they realised he had had a stroke.

The best thing is there are two teams called the Blues across two hemispheres, and they're both complete poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What's in a name?

Apparently quite a lot.

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013
I love the fact that if you wear a Rugby shirt of a team from a particular region such as Auckland (the Blues) then go somewhere else in the country such as Canterbury you're instantly going to cop flack from someone even you walk down a street let alone enter a bar to watch the game. I miss the time when the Rugby World Cup was here in New Zealand in 2011, it always felt as there was something to go and do and follow with intensity. The nights in town were always particularly rowdy following a win from the All Blacks.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

Mister Chief posted:

LOL

I've actually got the Tahs to beat the Sharks this week. I loving love Marcel Coetzee but I just feel the tahs have got this.

Watched the Force v Chiefs match last night. Amazing stuff. The crowd in Perth is mental, how do they get so much support? Not much else to do in Perth?

I've watched half of last week's Lions v Reds match. Reds look so much better, i think they scored three tries in the first half? or two? either way i can't wait to see how the Reds manage to lose the game so i can correctly tip the respective teams performances this week :)

I've been to both the Canes home games so far. Cheetahs match was amazing. Every year it's just the craziest running rugby. The week before against the Brumbies however was quite painful.

The Brumbies are the real deal. They've got some jesus poo poo going on i swear. Like they're all speaking in tounges in the sheds and whipping themselves into a puritanical frenzy in the name of David Pocock.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Also if you haven't already, you NEED to see the Sharks pre-match team photos. Trust me.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Links?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think he might be talking about the team photos they show on TV where everyone looks like they have fetal alcohol syndrome.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The Sharks are doomed. With their 9 and 10 out for 4 and the rest of the season weeks respectively, starting this week the Lions will begin their inevitable rise to the top of the South African conference and, ultimately, SupeRugby championship glory.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

butros posted:

The Sharks are doomed. With their 9 and 10 out for 4 and the rest of the season weeks respectively, starting this week the Lions will begin their inevitable rise to the top of the South African conference and, ultimately, SupeRugby championship glory.

Dear Jesus, may I please live to see this day. Amen.

Plucky Brit posted:

The best thing is there are two teams called the Blues across two hemispheres, and they're both complete poo poo.

And both representing the biggest respective cities, no less.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Plucky Brit posted:

As a Cardiff Blues supporter I'd love to argue with this, but honestly...I've got nothing...they're absolutely abysmal at the moment. Literally no redeeming features to their game at all.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

stavros880 posted:

As a Cardiff Blues supporter I'd love to argue with this, but honestly...I've got nothing...they're absolutely abysmal at the moment. Literally no redeeming features to their game at all.

PM me if you want to sort out some sort of goon meet and/or group suicide at The WRU Mandated Millenium Stadium Double Header Thing next month.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Round 7 Predictions:

Hurricanes +9.5 points start
Brumbies by 7 or over
Blues -5.5 PS
Reds/Reds halftime/fulltime double
Bulls/Chiefs halftime/fulltime double
Waratahs +6.5 PS

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Some decentish tries in Crusaders v Hurricanes :stare:

edit: I don't know the technicalities but that seems a harsh no try call to me on the forward pass.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I loving told you lot.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Hurricanes own
Barrett owns
Savea owns
Leiua owns

It's hard as hell being a canes supporter, but tonight was worth it.

Plus hopefully my hopeless devotion pays off in dream team.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Hamster Man posted:

Hurricanes own
Barrett owns
Savea owns
Leiua owns

It's hard as hell being a canes supporter, but tonight was worth it.

Plus hopefully my hopeless devotion pays off in dream team.

Both Barrett and Savea are on my team - so that bodes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Despite being a filthy yank I love the poo poo out of some Rugby and I'm thankful for the OP because I'd literally have no idea where to start trying to follow the international pros. I've watched some English rugby union but the Southern league game seems to be more my pace. After catching up on some SXV highlights for the past couple months, I'm batting between the Canes and Lions. I love the Canes colors/playing style but somehow it sings to my heart that there's another Lions team across the ocean that are massive disappointments year in and year out. I'll give that some more thinkin' but here's the question of the day:

How's a fuckin' American supposed to watch this stuff? Obviously we're all here on the got-dang internets so I'm guessing those of you like myself in a different part of the world watch a stream. Any suggestions? There's a massive -15 hour difference from Australia to my Midwestern slice of corn-ridden Hades so I think TV may be out.

• Locked thread