Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

Counts aren't necessarily the best thing to learn how to play the game with and I would recommend a Ducal character instead.

That's tricky. If you go for the Southern Wales region, then your Duke/Petty King may get enough land under him to create the duchy for south Wales and then become King of Wales, which leaves you back at square 1. I would go for a southern county, war for independence afterwards, and then try to take enough of his territory in a third war to usurp the duchy from him.

But really, just play as the Duke of Apulia.

Nah, I refuse to change. I know that given a lot of time, I could easily walk my way into King of Wales.

I tried for a war of independence earlier, the Petty King of Wales at the time just called in all his allies and squashed me, forcing me to start again.

That is my biggest issue - any war I can get into will end up with the enemy calling in their allies. Hence why I am looking at Southern counties, because they don't have the strong allies, and I *should* be able to call in the help of my Petty King.

What I am mainly considering my path right now is destabilizing the current Petty King, and then claiming one of the Southern counties, then working on taking some of the Petty King's power away from him by siezing territories. It is just some difficult logistics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Another Person posted:

Nah, I refuse to change. I know that given a lot of time, I could easily walk my way into King of Wales.

I tried for a war of independence earlier, the Petty King of Wales at the time just called in all his allies and squashed me, forcing me to start again.

That is my biggest issue - any war I can get into will end up with the enemy calling in their allies. Hence why I am looking at Southern counties, because they don't have the strong allies, and I *should* be able to call in the help of my Petty King.

What I am mainly considering my path right now is destabilizing the current Petty King, and then claiming one of the Southern counties, then working on taking some of the Petty King's power away from him by siezing territories. It is just some difficult logistics though.

What you need are 1) allies ruling nearby independent realms and 2) mercenaries. Allies can be gained by useful marriages, and mercenaries can be gained by money. I'd put off on improving your holdings, and instead just stockpile money to hire a mercenary company as a quick punch to deplete their forces early on (they also cost money for upkeep). Are you starting in 867 (only available with DLC) or 1066? 867 is a harder start since you also have to deal with rear end in a top hat vikings burning down all your homes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Also Jews are your bros, don't be afraid of hitting them up for $$$

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

What you need are 1) allies ruling nearby independent realms and 2) mercenaries. Allies can be gained by useful marriages, and mercenaries can be gained by money. I'd put off on improving your holdings, and instead just stockpile money to hire a mercenary company as a quick punch to deplete their forces early on (they also cost money for upkeep). Are you starting in 867 (only available with DLC) or 1066? 867 is a harder start since you also have to deal with rear end in a top hat vikings burning down all your homes.

1066. Where are the Jewish money men to call on? Because I am Catholic, I figure the Pope can give me financial help sometime, but that time is not now. There is no option to receive money from him.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Another Person posted:

1066. Where are the Jewish money men to call on? Because I am Catholic, I figure the Pope can give me financial help sometime, but that time is not now. There is no option to receive money from him.

You need Sons of Abraham to borrow from the Jews. If you've got it, it should be a decision on the intrigue menu, assuming the character you're playing as hasn't decided to banish the Jews.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Aaahhh, haven't got that DLC. I was just looking at DLC right now, and bought some of them, all of the cheap ones on sale.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Another Person posted:

Aaahhh, haven't got that DLC. I was just looking at DLC right now, and bought some of them, all of the cheap ones on sale.

Marry your son/daughter into the ruling house of an independent realm that's larger than you, and keep your relations high with them. Then work on going to war with some other counties in Wales proper or in Cornwall if they're independent. Once you declare war, you should be able to call your marriage alliance with the larger nation near you into effect, and your allies can help you out a ton.

Really though, echoing the statement that playing as a count is far and away the hardest way to learn this game. If you absolutely must play in Wales, at least restart as the Petty King and try to make yourself into a Real King. Once you do that, you should in a good place to expand into Ireland or Brittany.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In 1066 I'm pretty sure the King of France has a couple spare sisters, its generally worth it to get a lovely wife to start out just to get him as an ally to squash basically absolutely anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm perpetually waiting for a new patch or DLC to start playing this game again, it never stops. Now ROI is finally out, but I have to wait for the hotfix. Stop releasing new stuff already. :negative: never stop, please

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is something broken with Norse? It seems like I only see priests when I press the marriage shortcut button on my character or courtiers, accidentally married away all of my council from my court :/

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Drone posted:

Seriously, it's all worth it. The unit packs are probably the easiest to skip, and the portrait packs probably add the most flavor. The only one of the expansions that is pretty much mandatory is Legacy of Rome (for army retinues) and maybe Sons of Abraham (just for general religious flavor), beyond that you can get the expansions that interest you. Wanna play as Norse? Get Old Gods. Muslims? Sword of Islam. Merchant republics a la Venice? The Republic. Indians? Rajas of India.

Skip Sunset Invasion though, it's dumb as hell.

So the only bits which aren't cosmetic and actually affect gameplay are the expansions, right, leaving the DLC which contains actual content as the below?
  • Rajas of India
  • The Old Gods
  • Sons of Abraham
  • Legacy of Rome
  • Sunset Invasion
  • The Republic
  • Sword of Islam

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Jack the Lad posted:

So the only bits which aren't cosmetic and actually affect gameplay are the expansions, right, leaving the DLC which contains actual content as the below?
  • Rajas of India
  • The Old Gods
  • Sons of Abraham
  • Legacy of Rome
  • Sunset Invasion
  • The Republic
  • Sword of Islam

The ruler designer lets you customize your ruler before you start to play. Though this disables ironman.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

The ruler designer lets you customize your ruler before you start to play. Though this disables ironman.
It doesn't disable ironman, it just disable the achievements you normally get in ironman mode.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Meet Swietopelk "the Chaste":

Eight children. Three concubines. Paragon of chastity right there.

Poles certainly are masters of sarcasm.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Is there a known bug with the Hindu Subjugation CB? I just had a case where I had fabricated a claim on a neighboring province and when I went to press that claim I found the following:
Clicking on 'Claim Province' gave me the usual tooltip, I then tried to click on the 'Subjugate Orissa' CB, but it wasn't available as I did not have the 500 Karma required, but clicking back on the 'Claim Province' CB changed the tooltip to read 'Claim Bana Raj' and the 'glowing yellow' indicator which highlights what provinces are covered in the claim showed all 5 of this guys provinces.

Closed out of the diplomacy menu and was able to repeat this, thought I'd give it a go and sure enough when I won the war I gained all provinces as though it was a Subjugation CB, but did not spend the 500 Karma.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My heir has a diplomacy of 30! :stare:

She's a genius charismatic negotiator who is temperate, kind, just, honest, charitable and diligent!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Charlz Guybon posted:

My heir has a diplomacy of 30! :stare:

She's a genius charismatic negotiator who is temperate, kind, just, honest, charitable and diligent!

Now watch her die in a freak accident and have your next heir an inbreed idiot. :)

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Zoinker posted:

I wish Ruler designer characters didn't nix cheevos, or that converting to Catharism was somehow more likely in-game because a Cathar dynasty seems like the easiest way to get the Empressive achivement.

You can also get really lucky and have your empress die while giving birth to a girl, who grows up an only child that gets knocked up at 16 and dies giving birth to a daughter herself. And if you're really, REALLY lucky, that'll happen two more times. Yes, that was a total of 64 years of regency in a 70-year period.

I mostly like Cathar because it doesn't exclude women from council positions, removing the need to try and breed high-stat female courtiers to get a good councillor next generation.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 28, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Can someone please explain pagan raids to me?

Im playing a norse (the one on the Novrogod region), Im supposed to loot and raid and sail trough rivers, but Im yet to find how I do these things.

I now there a loot button on the unit interface, but I activate it and nothing seems to happen.

I know I should be sailing trough Russia rivers, but I have no idea how to achieve this (is there a button for this somewhere? how can I even put boat on the rivers?).

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jolan posted:

I mostly like Cathar because it doesn't exclude women from council positions, removing the need to try and breed high-stat female courtiers to get a good councillor next generation.

Gobbling up western Europe through holy wars is also quite nice.

Seoinin posted:

Oh my god, Becky, look at her Martial stat.

She looks like one of those Norse guy's concubines. Who understands those Vikings anyway?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing a norse (the one on the Novrogod region), Im supposed to loot and raid and sail trough rivers, but Im yet to find how I do these things.

I now there a loot button on the unit interface, but I activate it and nothing seems to happen.

I know I should be sailing trough Russia rivers, but I have no idea how to achieve this (is there a button for this somewhere? how can I even put boat on the rivers?).

Once you toggle the raid button for your army you need to park it on enemy land, either in a province adjacent to one of your own or a province adjacent to the sea/a navigable river, in which you need to park a fleet or you cannot raid the province. If you raid a neighboring province, all gold you loot will go directly into your treasury, while all raids by sea store the gold in your fleet, which means you can only raid so much until the fleet is full (10 gold per ship), and you only get the gold once the fleet sails into the nearest port.

You should easily be able to sail through Russia's rivers just by sending your fleet from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea, it should automatically sail through Russia. Stopping in a certain part of the river can be tricky, you need to zoom in and make sure you right-click on the river itself. But only Norse pagans can sail through rivers, if you still play your starting ruler (Rurik) you are fine, but note that he starts with a Slavic pagan son as his heir, so if that son inherited then you cannot sail through rivers.

Battle Hamster
Mar 21, 2007

Zoinker posted:

I wish Ruler designer characters didn't nix cheevos, or that converting to Catharism was somehow more likely in-game because a Cathar dynasty seems like the easiest way to get the Empressive achivement.

Elective succession makes things much easier. Also, the achievement only needs it to be three successive generations - they don't have to rule consecutively. My second Byzantine empress in a row died when her only daughter was 1 or 2, before I had nominated the daughter, so some old place-holder duke became emperor instead. I nominated the kid, expecting to have to start the process over again, but when the duke died and she became empress the event fired anyway.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Good, you know about the loot button. Just press it so it's red/in looting mode. Then raise ships and move them (right click) to a sea or river zone right next to your raised army. Don't forget to consolidate your ships and armies into one, and check if you have enough space on your ships (1 ship can hold 100 men, you can check it in lower right ship unit interface). When your troops are in looting mode and in your ships, just select those ships and right click them on sea/river zones. When they arrive, select your looters and right click on a province you want to loot. When you are done, right click them back to ships.

Note:
Mercenaries cannot loot (and I think holy order). You can only designate looters in provinces that you control. Only Norse (religion) can move ships on rivers, and only when provinces that surround a particular river zone have low fort size. If you loot a province that is next to your own, you automatically gain money. If it's not, then you need to have ships in a sea/river zone next to it, to collect the loot. You can see how much ships can collect in lower unit interface. You get that gold & prestige when you move your ships in your home port.

efb :argh:
That'll teach me to take my sweet time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Disco Infiva posted:

Good, you know about the loot button. Just press it so it's red/in looting mode. Then raise ships and move them (right click) to a sea or river zone right next to your raised army. Don't forget to consolidate your ships and armies into one, and check if you have enough space on your ships (1 ship can hold 100 men, you can check it in lower right ship unit interface). When your troops are in looting mode and in your ships, just select those ships and right click them on sea/river zones. When they arrive, select your looters and right click on a province you want to loot. When you are done, right click them back to ships.

Note:
Mercenaries cannot loot (and I think holy order). You can only designate looters in provinces that you control. Only Norse (religion) can move ships on rivers, and only when provinces that surround a particular river zone have low fort size. If you loot a province that is next to your own, you automatically gain money. If it's not, then you need to have ships in a sea/river zone next to it, to collect the loot. You can see how much ships can collect in lower unit interface. You get that gold & prestige when you move your ships in your home port.

But where can I raise the ships? My provinces are all landlocked, no access to sea. And in provinces with rivers on (like Novrogod), the raise ship button is disabled.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Elias_Maluco posted:

But where can I raise the ships? My provinces are all landlocked, no access to sea. And in provinces with rivers on (like Novrogod), the raise ship button is disabled.

Oh right yeah, Novgorod starts landlocked (which is silly). You need to conquer some coastal provinces and then raise them through military interface, or with county interface.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Oh right yeah, Novgorod starts landlocked (which is silly). You need to conquer some coastal provinces and then raise them through military interface, or with county interface.

Can't raiders just walk and loot neighbouring counties anyway, without needing ships?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Serperoth posted:

Can't raiders just walk and loot neighbouring counties anyway, without needing ships?

Yes they can. But it's not the same man. :(

It would be nice if raiding armies can carry loot like ships can so that they can go into deeper overland raids, with added danger of loosing that loot if they get destroyed on their way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

You cannot raise ships in river provinces. But if you play as Rurik you should have a 40 ship fleet from the start of the game sitting in the Baltic Sea. If you don't have it and can't raise ships, you need to take province that can. The Scandinavian lands nearly always have the right technology and buildings, begin conquering parts of Sweden (don't bother with Finland, the counties are horribly backwater).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

You cannot raise ships in river provinces. But if you play as Rurik you should have a 40 ship fleet from the start of the game sitting in the Baltic Sea. If you don't have it and can't raise ships, you need to take province that can. The Scandinavian lands nearly always have the right technology and buildings, begin conquering parts of Sweden (don't bother with Finland, the counties are horribly backwater).

Or just create a merchant republic in Estonia or somewhere close. It will instantly give you a lot of ships just from all merchant houses.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

Humm, Im not, I created my own ruler.

But I got it now, I will conquer some coastal provinces then.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You can only get ships from coastal provinces, and rivers don't count for that. Either go subjugate people until you reach a coast, or if you neighbour any non-Nordic (religion) people, you can just waltz over the border and raid like that.

e: dammit I forgot I opened this thread like 40 minutes ago and then didn't refresh before checking if anyone had replied, whoops

Allyn fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

The files that decide what a graphical culture look like are in the interface folder and are titled portraits_"NAME OF CULUTRE".gfx (for example portraits_mediterranean), you can define a new graphical culture by making a new such file with "NAME OF CULTURE" being a name defined in some file in the folder graphicalculturetypes inside the "common" folder. In the .gfx file itself you can choose which assests you want to use for your new (or edited) graphcial culture, such as clothing, hair, eyes, beards and hats. Its quite easy as its mostly just copy-pasting, but you have to do this for both young, middle aged and old portraits for both male and female. You're also gonna have to look inside the DLC archived folder for the african portraits to know where to point at to get the african faces, eyes, hairs, etc.

So making an African-American graphical culture type should be pretty easy.
That seems workable enough! I was able to suss out a fair bit from looking at portraits.gfx and portraits_mediterranean.gfx and that should help out-- but which DLC is the African Portraits DLC, anyways? I don't know which one to reference.

quote:

Wat kind of cultures are you thinking of including, by the way? What religons? Will you use the mechanics for the different religions in normal CK2 to allow some general wackery to occur, rather than having everybody be monogamous, non-raiding, crusade-having christians? I mean polyMormons, with defensive bonuses in Utah and Scientologists on the West Coast using reincarnation events from ROI or something would be cool.

Right now the map's split into four culture groups which break down like so:
  • North Anglo
    • Gothamite (NYC)
    • Hudsonian (NY & bits of PA)
    • Delawarean (Delaware river valley)
    • Yankee (New England)
  • South Anglo
    • Southron (Virginia and bits of the Carolinas)
    • Appalachian (Appalachians and into Kentucky and Tennessee)
    • Beltway (DC area)
  • Amerodeutsch
    • Deitsch (Pennsylvania Dutch in SE Pennsylvania & other such communities)
    • Rostmann (Midwest Rustbelt)
  • Afro-Anglo
    • Tuskegean (Scattered throughout)

Yeah, the current religious set-up involves a fair bit of Christianity everywhere, but something will be done with the Mormons in Utah, although I don't know what. There's also a few crazed heathen cults here and there.

I've got two such cults implemented at the moment; 'Americanists' are in the DC area, screaming about the Founders and the devil known as fluoridation, and 'Occultists' up in New England are Lovecraft-like and once I start working on events more they're the ones who're going to end up doing all the sacrifices and such happy fun times. Also have an 'Atomicist' cult planned out, probably will include some voodoo thing once I get down to New Orleans, and some discussions earlier brought up the idea of a 'Cult of the Euphoric'.

e: spel gud

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 28, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ofaloaf posted:

That seems workable enough! I was able to suss out a fair bit from looking at portraits.gfx and portraits_mediterranean.gfx and that should help out-- but which DLC is the African Portraits DLC, anyways? I don't know which one to reference.

Right now the map's split into four culture groups which break down like so:
  • North Anglo
    • Gothamite (NYC)
    • Hudsonian (NY & bits of PA)
    • Delawarean (Delaware river valley)
    • Yankee (New England)
  • South Anglo
    • Southron (Virginia and bits of the Carolinas)
    • Appalachian (Appalachians and into Kentucky and Tennessee)
    • Beltway (DC area)
  • Amerodeutsch
    • Deitsch (Pennsylvania Dutch in SE Pennsylvania & other such communities)
    • Rostmann (Midwest Rustbelt)
  • Afro-Anglo
    • Tuskegean (Scattered throughout)

Yeah, the current religious set-up involves a fair bit of Christianity everywhere, but something will be done with the Mormons in Utah, although I don't know what. There's also a few crazed heathen cults here and there.

I've got two such cults implemented at the moment; 'Americanists' are in the DC area, screaming about the Founders and the devil known as fluoridation, and 'Occulists' up in New England are Lovecraft-like and once I start working on events more they're the ones who're going to end up doing all the sacrifices and such happy fun times. Also have an 'Atomicist' cult planned out, probably will include some voodoo thing once I get down to New Orleans, and some discussions earlier brought up the idea of a 'Cult of the Euphoric'.

Playing a Lovecraftian cult in New England sounds loving awesome.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

You still planning to do the British Invasion?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Does anyone else get a CTD when trying to export a game to EU4?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

You still planning to do the British Invasion?
Yeah. 'Two If By Sea' is still planned.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah. 'Two If By Sea' is still planned.

The Sunrise Invasion!

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Meet Swietopelk "the Chaste":

Eight children. Three concubines. Paragon of chastity right there.

Poles certainly are masters of sarcasm.

Maybe he is chaste by pagan standards. I know there was a real life guy quite similar to this one, a duke from Piast dynasty, and he was called "the Horned". But his was a Catholic.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Chaste doesn't mean unhorny, it just means horny within an acceptable moral framework. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Does Paradox have any plans to add a special character traits filter? During the one Hindu game I tried it was really hard to find spouses of the right caste since caste isn't something you can search or filter on. It'd also make medieval super-breeding easier.

• Locked thread