Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Devoz posted:

Think the bottle pictured below will taste differently from the modern version of Crown Royal?

Get a new one and compare for us :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
If you had to pick between a Macallan 18 Sherry Oak or Glenmorangie Signet what would you pick? Assuming price was the same for both.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Devoz posted:

If you had to pick between a Macallan 18 Sherry Oak or Glenmorangie Signet what would you pick? Assuming price was the same for both.

Definitely the Glenmorangie. Macallan 18 is pretty bland in my experience and I've heard nothing but praise for the Signet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Devoz posted:

Glenmorangie Signet.

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
I read that once you open a bottle, the quality of the whisky starts to deteriorate. The perfectionist in me says that therefore I should finish up a bottle before opening the next one. Is such a worry reasonable? Do you have bottles that are opened for months? A year? I'd like to open several at the same time and drink them slowly.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

njaa posted:

I read that once you open a bottle, the quality of the whisky starts to deteriorate. The perfectionist in me says that therefore I should finish up a bottle before opening the next one. Is such a worry reasonable? Do you have bottles that are opened for months? A year? I'd like to open several at the same time and drink them slowly.
I've had bottles of whisky open for a decade. Deteriorate is a harsh term. In some cases a bit of oxidation improved my taste for a particular bottle.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Devoz posted:

Glenmorangie Signet. No question.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I want to have a world whisky day at my house. The goal would be to select a bottle that isn't the pinnacle, but more of an easy drinker to showcase what each region can do.

For America, I'm going with Buffalo Trace. Highland Park for Scotland, Yamazaki 12 for Japan. In that vein what should I try for Canada and Ireland? Not the priciest, looking for a good, middle of the road easy to enjoy whiskey for the two areas.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

rxcowboy posted:

I want to have a world whisky day at my house. The goal would be to select a bottle that isn't the pinnacle, but more of an easy drinker to showcase what each region can do.

For America, I'm going with Buffalo Trace. Highland Park for Scotland, Yamazaki 12 for Japan. In that vein what should I try for Canada and Ireland? Not the priciest, looking for a good, middle of the road easy to enjoy whiskey for the two areas.

Forty Creek for Canada and Redbreast 12 for Ireland imo.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
If you can, also get a bottle of Amrut and Bain's to cover India and South Africa.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Finally tried the Laphroaig 18.

Nose: floral with barely a hint of the normal phenolic harshness.

Palate: dried fruit that quickly fades to rich butterscotch with just a touch of spice

Finish: classic Laphroaig peat, muted a little, but still with the medicinal tang of the 10 year.

A dash of water definitely opens up the flavors, but it's almost a shame to, given that the ones that are there at bottle strength are so powerful. I was really impressed with the way the sweeter and mellowed palate was married to the peaty finish. An excellent whisky, but I doubt I'd really be able to justify it at full price.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

door Door door posted:

Finally tried the Laphroaig 18.

I've been tempted to try this one because the price in Michigan is suprisingly reasonable ($84.99), however at that price point there are some other whiskies which I already know I'd enjoy more. I think Laphroaig really shines at a younger age. The 10 YO Cask Strength is where it's ideal, I think.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 in the UK, and got invited to a scotch tasting at the weekend. A good day for whiskey.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

NightConqueror posted:

I've been tempted to try this one because the price in Michigan is suprisingly reasonable ($84.99), however at that price point there are some other whiskies which I already know I'd enjoy more. I think Laphroaig really shines at a younger age. The 10 YO Cask Strength is where it's ideal, I think.

Agreed. I love the 18, it is a fine product and by taste the best Laphro neat, but the CS at release price is almost charity compared to what Diageo is doing. The CS reacts wonderfully to water, 2-3 teaspoons and it's still going very strong with a deep, lasting taste.

I have a lead on a bottle of the HP25 from 2006 at a non-absurd price, and I'm going to do my best to get it because I got a taste of it again yesterday and thinking back to it as I try the 2012 I have I gotta say the 2006 is what I want to put in my archive. It bats in the 5 star scale around Glenfarclas 40. I think it has more sherry casks in it than the 2012 and the resulting flavour is just ludicrously deep. It marinates the entire mouth in juiciness that is rich and full-bodied in a way only few malts are.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

NightConqueror posted:

Do what I did and split it with a few friends. There are definitely whiskies at that price point that I'd rather spend my money on, but I'm still very glad to have finally tried the 18. And agreed; the burning shipyard that is the 10 year old CS is the purest embodiment of 'Laphroaig-ness' you can find in my opinion. Tasting a more refined Laphroaig is great, but the main point of Laphroaig is to be rough.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I'm going to Louisville this weekend. I know Jim Beam is right outside of town, but are there any other distilleries I should check out instead?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Go to Makers Mark because the drive is nice and they sell some cool stuff in the gift shop. Do the hard hat your at Buffalo Trace if you really want to learn the whole process (you have to register in advance that and the other longer tours). Don't except to get anything more obscure than each distillery's unaged whiskey, because Kentucky liquor laws are terrible. Instead, go to a place like Capital Cellars in Frankfort or the bar at Hotel 21C in Louisville if you want to do a flight of interesting bourbons.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah Kentucky is messed up. By area, the state that most Americans associate with bourbon is about half dry for gently caress's sake.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shugojin posted:

Yeah Kentucky is messed up. By area, the state that most Americans associate with bourbon is about half dry for gently caress's sake.

Lynchburg (where JDaniel's is made) is a dry county, too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Are there any tax benefits to producing in a dry county/area?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ChickenArise posted:

Are there any tax benefits to producing in a dry county/area?

Nope.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Bought a bottle of Talisker Speakeasy on a whim, which is apparently an exclusive bottling for K&L wines. I realized while I was in line that this is a five-year-old Scotch, but I decided to give it a shot since I liked the Talisker 10 so much (and also because I was already a little bit buzzed).

Yeesh. I've never had a Scotch this young before, but it is quite harsh. What few reviews there are mention that it tastes like a mezcal, and I pretty much agree with them. There's some sweetness on the finish, and the characteristic Talisker pepper is there, but for me it's lacking the body that I'm looking for in a Scotch. At 58.2%, it's pretty much undrinkable straight, but it gains a lot of sippability with a few teaspoons of water. It's definitely interesting, but at $60 for a fifth I just can't justify what tastes to me like essentially a gimmick whiskey.

The good news is that it comes in a cool bottle and instead of a cardboard box they use a cool cloth sack to sell the bottle in, so at least I've got my collectibles.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I just moved from Colorado back to Seattle area and holy balls is whisk(e)y expensive here! 38$ for Buffalo Trace and Black Bottle?? What the hell am I supposed to drink! I bought a bottle Old Grandad for .... 25$ I hope it is not terrible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

On the other hand there's not really a penalty either if you were already there when it went dry. I guess you can't really do tastings for tours but that would be a tiny loss compared to relocation.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shugojin posted:

On the other hand there's not really a penalty either if you were already there when it went dry. I guess you can't really do tastings for tours but that would be a tiny loss compared to relocation.

Yep.

You hit the nail on the head as explained 10 yrs ago on the JD tour.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

lexan posted:

It's because they charge the wholesale cost plus a flat markup, instead of charging the market rate. So on cheap booze, you pay more in PA because that flat markup ends up being more than the normal market rate would be. On expensive booze, that markup is way less than the normal market rate would be; you're getting the product at darn near wholesale price.

I know NH does state run liquor stores -- is this the case there as well? Travelling through and picking up booze for a friends party and wondering about the kind of deal I should expect?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

uranus posted:

I just moved from Colorado back to Seattle area and holy balls is whisk(e)y expensive here! 38$ for Buffalo Trace and Black Bottle?? What the hell am I supposed to drink! I bought a bottle Old Grandad for .... 25$ I hope it is not terrible.

The people of Washington figured out how to increase both prices and tax revenue when privatizing a profitable industry. Other states only wish they could be so lucky.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I know NH does state run liquor stores -- is this the case there as well? Travelling through and picking up booze for a friends party and wondering about the kind of deal I should expect?

Couldn't tell you, unfortunately. I grew up in PA and my Dad was a sales rep for a beer distributor so I'm somewhat familiar with PA liquor control laws, but don't know much about other states. Hopefully someone here does.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

lavaca posted:

The people of Washington figured out how to increase both prices and tax revenue when privatizing a profitable industry. Other states only wish they could be so lucky.

Incidentally we're also completely failing at legalizing marijuana compared to Colorado. Over a year in and the rules still aren't finished. Just about every city is enacting ordinances to prohibit growing and processing, and restricting retail sales to only a few possible spots.

I did hear about a law to reduce the spirits taxes but I don't know what happened with it. It was something trivial like reducing by 6% phased in over 8 years.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Took some recommendations from here and picked up some Redbreast. Gonna try it tonight

Unfortunately they only had the normal Tullamore Dew, Powers, and several variations of Bushmills. Redbreast is hopefully worth it though. :getin:

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Deleuzionist posted:

This is what I wrote about a 3cl sample I got last autumn:
"The new Talisker Storm is a dram of pepper and beer with a bit of liquorice. Recognizably pungent Talisker peat, some faint coastal vibes (kinda non-saline for a storm), remnants of the Talisker 10 sweetness. IIRC the 10yo has a deeper colour, this is somewhere between maize and gold. Sootball mouthfeel, as if the Talisker peat had decided to materialize here and rake the tongue while passing. Worth the price it retails for but I'm not certain the addition to the product line was entirely necessary."

From other tasting notes I've noticed that saltiness has also been detected by others. I'm not certain I can agree with my own comment about the Storm's price now as it seems to be more expensive than the 10yo.

Sorry for late reply. Thank you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

As I pour out some Ardbeg Uigeadail and am greeted by a blast of peat, I'm reminded of something.

One of my friends bought Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch which has a bit of information and reviews and more usefully descriptions of various scotches.

He describes Lagavulin as "a bear hug" and it's pretty goddamn apt I have to say.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
While I couldn't find the OGD 117, I picked up the OGD Bonded 100 proof as a bottle to bring to a friend's birthday and WHOA if that isn't an outstandingly sweet and smooth drink for an overproof. Especially in contrast to WT101, which is much spicier and more aggressive. Both are excellent.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Elements of Islay Br3

I think I just bought a bit of a dud. I'll give this bottle some time to open up and see if it changes any, but first impression is that past a little warming glow in my throat I'd scarcely notice this is 55,1% alc. vol. It's super light, Speyish and probably very young too, under ten. Giving it some water doesn't seem to much open it up and I'm left with light sea air and fruitiness and a nice wood note that's unfortunately undercut by booziness. Nice, sharp and clean booziness instead of window washer or antifreeze like some, but still overt booziness that's not the kind of thing I look for in a single malt. Giving it a bit more water does balance it out better but makes it already too thin for my taste. This was bottled exclusively for the Viking Line cruise lines which makes this the fourth exclusive Elements bottle of theirs I've tried. The others were an all-around great and well balanced probably over ten yo Cl3, brutal, minimalistic and most likely very young Lg3, and a smoke-oriented ok but not great Cl5, which makes them a bit uneven bunch.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 31, 2014

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Several years ago some buddies were coming over to drink, and I went to pick up some booze. I saw VAT 69 which for military guys, I recognized as the brand from the Band of Brothers TV miniseries. I was suspicious because it was only 11 bucks. Bought it anyway, and enjoyed it, but on ice (I drink whisky neat now, but shame me if you like).

I picked up a bottle of Glengoyne 17 last week to celebrate some stuff, and picked up a bottle of VAT 69 with the money I had leftover.

tl;dr version:

VAT 69 is surprising for its price.

Nose: floral notes, sharp alcohol smell

First sip: smooth delivery, doesn't develop much but it stays smooth, which is surprising given the way it hits the nose.

Finish: the first sip or two will sit on the back of your tongue for a while. This is one of the whiskies that doesn't have any specific flavors that jump out.

Its taste is acceptable, given its price and for being a blend. It is a little cloying after a few sips. For $11 it makes for excellent cheap booze, but I will probably pass on buying another bottle unless I become a dirt poor alcoholic. I may actually try mixing this one with iced tea or something. For those of you who want a number: 6.5/10

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I just picked up a couple bottles of the Four Roses 125th Anniversary Small Batch. Absolutely wonderful, smooth with a delightful finish. I was surprised by how smooth it is at 51.6%. Velvety brown sugar caramel flavor, that feels like it sits on the tongue.

Anyone in Ontario, the LCBO just released it yesterday, and I would strongly suggest picking up a bottle.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Found a bottle of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated single malt at the local Bevmo yesterday. I can't grade it in relation to other Bruichladdich releases since I've only had the Laddie 10, but I think it's delicious. It has the same oiliness and citrus notes as the Laddie 10, but with a healthy does of peat and smoke. They say that it is smoked to 40 ppm, but it seems a little less smokey than Laphroaig 10 and a lot less medicinal. Also seems quite a bit more delicate and lighter than Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 16.

Overall, I like it a lot and would like to get my hands on some of their other releases. Does anyone have experience with any of the Octomore releases?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Is it just me or is the bottle Bulleit comes in... kind of a bitch to pour from?

I've had it several times but that was in bars, this is my first time buying a bottle of it.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
After years of thinking I didn't like Scotch, I had a scotch & soda with Johnny Walker Black and liked it enough that I bought a bottle and have been making them at home.

I like the smokiness of JWB. There's a flavor in other scotches (maybe peat?) that isn't so prevalent in JWB, which I also like about it. I've started drinking it neat and now I'm ready to try something new.

My only other Scotch experience is with Chivas and Glenlivet. I didn't love either of them neat and ended up using them to make Rob Roys. I am considering the scotches listed in the OP (Aberlour 12, Highland Park 12, Balvenie 12 Double Wood), but would love any advice or recommendations about what to try next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try Black Grouse for mixing or on the rocks. Highland Park is a great suggestion, but I wouldn't use it for scotch and soda. Neat, or with a little water, definitely. Japanese malts may also be up your alley, although a little pricey. I really like Yamazaki and Nikka Taketsuru (who am I kidding, I like everything, but these were both really good).