Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

No. Bad idea. Really bad idea. Never get Alan Sugar involved in the running of your club, unless you really like mediocrity, terrible managers, worse players, constant faux pas, legal disputes and everything done in a cheap and tacky way.

Point taken I'll go bother Peter Jones instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

AJ_Impy posted:

No. Bad idea. Really bad idea. Never get Alan Sugar involved in the running of your club, unless you really like mediocrity, terrible managers, worse players, constant faux pas, legal disputes and everything done in a cheap and tacky way.

Let's face it, that isn't down to Lord Sugar, that's down to Tottenham Hotspur being Tottenham Hotspur. :smuggo:

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 28, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

A Tartan Tory posted:

Let's face it, that isn't down to Lord Sugar, that's down to Tottenham Hotspur. :smuggo:

The decade before Alan Sugar took over Tottenham Hotspur, Spurs finished 4th twice and 3rd three times, with an average league position of 6th. The decade he was in charge of the club, the highest they finished was one 7th place, with an average league position of 11th. The decade after him, the club managed three 5th places and one 4th, with an average league position of 8th. He presided over some of the worst dross ever to fertilize the White Hart Lane pitch.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Let's face it, that isn't down to Lord Sugar, that's down to Tottenham Hotspur being Tottenham Hotspur. :smuggo:

Better track record than Craig Whyte :colbert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

The decade before Alan Sugar took over Tottenham Hotspur, Spurs finished 4th twice and 3rd three times, with an average league position of 6th. The decade he was in charge of the club, the highest they finished was one 7th place, with an average league position of 11th. The decade after him, the club managed three 5th places and one 4th, with an average league position of 8th. He presided over some of the worst dross ever to fertilize the White Hart Lane pitch.

He was 92-02 IIRC? To be fair, that was the start of the Age of the Premier League and it could be argued that it was a hard transition and that was the main reason for Spurs slight slump.

Then again, with the way he treated Venables you might be right!

Obliterati posted:

Better track record than Craig Whyte :colbert:

Don't get me started on the hilariously unfair turn of events that saw Rangers relegated for literally no reason after it was proved they didn't owe any money to HMRC. :colbert:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Hat in the ring etc etc...

Ladies and Gentlemen of thw Wrexham F.C.

Now I can already guess as to your first though upon my candidacy. "Get the loving german out of here" and much to my distress I have to agree that we've been utter cunts in the past. Nevertheless let me state what I can do for the club and the city itself. History has shown that german clubs are some of the best managed clubs in football with strict financial regulations that would ruin most other clubs while still remaining competetive (even if we have fallen off in recent years). Such a basis is already different from the previous chairman Sky Shadowing. But deep down you already know this isn't important. After all with such stellar work by the board of directors, the scouts, the players and the God-King of Wales himself, not to mention all the other employees it is all but assured that operations will run smoothly from here on out. No what is important is what I can do outside of that.

Like my rivals I could promise to use my power to rename the Racecourse Ground or other places like for instance the hospital after the esteemed Scott Brown himself, but I hardly think that any work is required here as Scott Brown himself as well as his boys have already accomplished so much and will accomplish so much more in the near future that tributes to their names will happen on their merits alone without us potential chairmen tarnishing such a reputation.

What I can achieve however is to be the biggest thorn in the side of our english neighbours. Just think about the anger, disappointment and just sheer malice we will cause across the border when a welsh club with two australian superstars, an american headcoach and a german chairman wins the Premier League and tell me you aren't getting giddy at the thought. It would be absolutely irresponsible to ease their pain and not vote for a german chairman.

So, ladies and gentleman, forget the past and look forward to a future of welsh surpremacy and more important english pain by voting for me.

CVE fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I'm also throwing my hat in the ring.

As a German, I've got football in my blood, but as a darts fan, I've also got the ability to - in theory - connect to the British working class that we need to buy tickets. Maybe we could sponsor Richie Burnett or Mark Webster, too.

And if any sort of funds end up disappearing in accounting, noted under "PDC Takeover Fund", then that's a corrupt middle manager still channeling funds towards Sky Shadowing that is surely going to be found any day now. Any day now...

EDIT: Not to mention I'm half a Yank as well, so the connection with Scott Brown will be easier to make (or harder, depending on the choice of favorite NFL/MLB teams).

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 28, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll vote for TheMcD. A Welsh club with an American manager and a German club president headlined by two Australian stars will give the low-rent, pub-fly, Daily Mail subscribing yobs heartburn, and I'm deeply cool with that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'll vote for TheMcD. A Welsh club with an American manager and a German club president headlined by two Australian stars will give the low-rent, pub-fly, Daily Mail subscribing yobs heartburn, and I'm deeply cool with that.

Much less than you'd think. English-managed clubs are a rarity in the Premier League, English owned ones likewise. Foreign stars are the norm. Manchester United are owned by Americans, managed by a Scotsman, and owe their Premier League legacy to a Frenchman and an Irishman. The Daily Mail generally didn't give a monkeys.

Edit: If you really want to annoy the Daily Mail, get someone outside the European hegemony to be loud and up front. Vincent Tan, Mohammed Al Fayed, Thaksin Shinharwata, the Venkys, just so long as they're prominent and doing things like putting up statues of unrelated pop stars outside the ground, demanding the club move to another town, changing their shirt and badge, or appointing their son's friend on work experience as director of football.

Do we have any near or far eastern eccentrics throwing their hat in the ring?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 28, 2014

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

I love that my enitre arguement I made a post before McD (which is also applicable to him) gets immediately turned upon me. drat politics :argh:

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master
Ich stimme für TheMcD, wegen seiner herrlichen Bart.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

loving hell, Stoke are above Arsenal and Liverpool. :stoke:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pantsuit posted:

loving hell, Stoke are above Arsenal and Liverpool. :stoke:
Believable goal difference though. Lots of 1-0 wins there, I would think.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sky Shadowing posted:

Cielo Shadowing would like to run for election to take the place of my cousin, Sky Shadowing. No, I am not just Sky Shadowing wearing a fake mustache and pretending to be Spanish.

I am Sky Shadowing wearing a fake mustache and pretending to be Spanish.

In any case, we BOTH vote for C. The Regal statue must be saved for the inevitable statue of Sky Shadowing, handsome devil that he is.

Well, I must vote for Cielo Shadowing especially since he promised to bring in new spanish executive member conejitodelafatalidad

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I would like to throw my hat into the ring. My skill in running the finest false mustache shop in Wrexham will stand me in good stead running the club.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I vote for AJ_Impy. For some bizarre reason, I am now fabulously wealthy as a result. Seriously, more brown envelopes than George Graham, if you get my drift.

I'm buying the election, come get your share!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Might as well throw my hat into the ring as well. If elected I will do the following.

1.) Raise ticket prices. The higher the ticket prices the more money the team will have for me to embezzle spending on better players and facilities.

2.) Change the team name to the Bluebirds. The wrong committed by Vincent Tan must be corrected. There must be a team named the Bluebirds in Wales and by God it should be us.

3.) Last, but most certainly not least, I will make sure that Scott Brown gets the contract he deserves for taking our team to the Premier League. I will admit I was wrong when I figured he was a flash in the pan who would not get our club above League One. This team needs a manager like Scott Brown to bring more titles, glory, and a lot more money for me Wrexham FC.

Remember on Election Day to vote for TKBomber7285, the candidate who will make the 2020's the decade of Wrexham dominance not only in the Premier League, but the entire world of football.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I've adopted your youth strategy, Habeus, and man :allears: It's great to buy some guy for 7k and sell him for 4 million dollars.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

Don't get me started on the hilariously unfair turn of events that saw Rangers relegated for literally no reason after it was proved they didn't owe any money to HMRC. :colbert:

I must admit that I, along with everyone else in Scotland who isn't a Ger, found the whole saga to be too hilarious to consider rationally so don't know the full story, but wasn't there the whole thing with paying everyone via "loans" to avoid income tax? Also the massive debts with Bank of Scotland. Also the Ticketus thing. Also being even more hateable than Celtic (I grew up in the 90s, so much like Man Utd you either had to support Rangers or loathe them).

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I will vote for AJ_Impy because as a Spurs fan he will make sure and absolutely gouge whoever comes in for Mujkic and Bastable.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Niric posted:

I must admit that I, along with everyone else in Scotland who isn't a Ger, found the whole saga to be too hilarious to consider rationally so don't know the full story, but wasn't there the whole thing with paying everyone via "loans" to avoid income tax? Also the massive debts with Bank of Scotland. Also the Ticketus thing. Also being even more hateable than Celtic (I grew up in the 90s, so much like Man Utd you either had to support Rangers or loathe them).

It was found that it was a viable method of payment, appealed, then found to still be a valid method of payment. So Gers did nothing wrong at all. Our debt wasn't with Bank of Scotland it was with TSB, it was pretty much about 10m or so so easily payable for Rangers, but it was called in early because HMRC put out the case against us for the tax we apparently (and eventually didn't) owe them. Ticketus debt was entirely on Craig Whyte and had nothing to do with Rangers, and still doesn't.

Also Scottish football shooting one of its cash cows in the foot was pretty loving hilarious and tragic, considering it's caused another 3-4 clubs to basically go into admin. See: Hearts for example. They have ruined Scottish football for a long time, e.g. we STILL don't have a league sponsor after two years because nobody wants to sponsor a league that doesn't have Celtic and Rangers.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most though is, we were tried and found guilty in the court of public opinion, eventually found not guilty in the actual courts, but still got punished for it because Scottish football can't look past the Rangers tag to impose fairness. All they had to do was treat us like Hearts, but oops, Hearts got preferential treatment and we got chucked out of the League because no-one likes us. You know what? We still don't care, I hope the Premier League sides enjoy their permanent away league boycott from Rangers fans once we get back up.

I told you not to get me started on this :smith:

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 29, 2014

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
A Tartan Tory has earned my vote with that passionate speech. He truly has footy's best interests at heart :scotland:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I nominate myself, because I am awesome at stuff. :colbert:

I will change our club motto to Tackleford Inferior, Wrexham Superior. And build a giant, gently caress-off dragon statue

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I vote for TheMcD, because he's a German and I like voting for fellow Krauts.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

:siren:CHAIRMAN ELECTION:siren:

We are now accepting candidates for chairman of the club. Anyone may put their hat in the ring except for Sky Shadowing, and candidacies may be announced at any time prior to the posting of the next update. Candidates are expected to explain why they, and no one else, deserve to be the Chairman of Wrexham FC. After the next update I will post the candidate list and hold an election to determine who among you will be raised to the most august position in Wales. My paypal is ILikeBigButtsAndICannotLie@aol.com if you would like to, ahem, persuade the election board.

We aren't voting for the chairman yet, guys.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Been enjoying the lp, its inspired me to pick up FM 2014 again and try taking Everton back to the premiership (somehow in my old save they'd gotten themselves relegated to League 2 with massive, crippling debts).

Also

A Tartan Tory posted:

It was found that it was a viable method of payment, appealed, then found to still be a valid method of payment. So Gers did nothing wrong at all. Our debt wasn't with Bank of Scotland it was with TSB, it was pretty much about 10m or so so easily payable for Rangers, but it was called in early because HMRC put out the case against us for the tax we apparently (and eventually didn't) owe them. Ticketus debt was entirely on Craig Whyte and had nothing to do with Rangers, and still doesn't.

Also Scottish football shooting one of its cash cows in the foot was pretty loving hilarious and tragic, considering it's caused another 3-4 clubs to basically go into admin. See: Hearts for example. They have ruined Scottish football for a long time, e.g. we STILL don't have a league sponsor after two years because nobody wants to sponsor a league that doesn't have Celtic and Rangers.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most though is, we were tried and found guilty in the court of public opinion, eventually found not guilty in the actual courts, but still got punished for it because Scottish football can't look past the Rangers tag to impose fairness. All they had to do was treat us like Hearts, but oops, Hearts got preferential treatment and we got chucked out of the League because no-one likes us. You know what? We still don't care, I hope the Premier League sides enjoy their permanent away league boycott from Rangers fans once we get back up.

I told you not to get me started on this :smith:

Rangers weren't relegated, the PLC had to be liquidated and a new company formed. It had nothing to do with the EBT case. Rangers had about £25 million in debt prior to Craig Whyte, after Whyte they racked up even more debt including money owed to HMRC over unpaid employee PAYE. I had friend working for Rangers prior to and just after Whyte's takeover and from what I heard even before the takeover there were some dodgy people in charge, it only got worse with the new regime. If you want to blame people blame David Murray and Craig Whyte for that mess.

The Hearts situation is completely different, as far as I am aware Hearts are just in administration and have been treated in exactly the same way as Rangers were when they went into administration.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Random Integer posted:

Been enjoying the lp, its inspired me to pick up FM 2014 again and try taking Everton back to the premiership (somehow in my old save they'd gotten themselves relegated to League 2 with massive, crippling debts).

Also

Rangers weren't relegated, the PLC had to be liquidated and a new company formed. It had nothing to do with the EBT case. Rangers had about £25 million in debt prior to Craig Whyte, after Whyte they racked up even more debt including money owed to HMRC over unpaid employee PAYE. I had friend working for Rangers prior to and just after Whyte's takeover and from what I heard even before the takeover there were some dodgy people in charge, it only got worse with the new regime. If you want to blame people blame David Murray and Craig Whyte for that mess.

The Hearts situation is completely different, as far as I am aware Hearts are just in administration and have been treated in exactly the same way as Rangers were when they went into administration.

I really don't want to derail the thread but...

It had EVERYTHING to do with the EBT case. If there was no EBT case more funds could have been allocated to deal with the stuff that put us into administration, more people would have been interested in buying Rangers other than shiesters like Craig Whyte and the bank debt would not have been called in early (unless you believe the conspiracy theorists who seem to think Celtic Chairmen are in charge of that bank). If it was not for the EBT case, there would not have been administration, we would have had a legitimate buyer, such as that American guy (Miller iirc?) who was interested before learning about the extent of the EBT case and we wouldn't have had the bank debt called in nor any 'debt' to ticketus which was in actuality under Craig Whyte's name.

Oh I do blame Craig Whyte and David Murray for the mess, but if there was not a quite frankly fraudulent EBT case against Rangers from HMRC (because lets face it, every club has done it and every club is doing it now from East Stirling to Manchester City) then the whole catastrophic series of events would not have led Murray to sell to Whyte and cause the ridiculousness that happened. I totally and unrepentantly blame the entire mess on HMRC and their shameless attempt to use us as a test case for going after the EPL clubs who were doing the same thing, it reeks of the arrogance you come to expect from Westminster as a Scottish person.

And Hearts have been treated exactly the same way have they? I don't see every fan of Scottish football clamouring for them to be kicked out of the league, for their club to be killed? I do see them getting lots of support from the SFA and SPL who essentially washed their hands of Rangers instead (see: The shameless attempts of the Scottish Football Authorities to blackmail Rangers with their spot in the Scottish Leagues). Now that it's looking more and more likely that Hearts CVA is likely to not be accepted without significant cash injections into Lithuania I will be very interested to see if they will be treated exactly the same way as us rules wise.

Spoiler: They wont.

Sorry for the derail again! :smith:

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Just wanted to say, been catching up with this rp over the past few weeks and holy poo poo, this is one of the most entertaining/engrossing LP's I've ever read. You've done an amazing job at bringing everything to life, as well as done a masterful job at just playing the game.

Like a lot of other people, it's inspired me to give FM2014 a try even though I have no clue what I'm doing.

Gotta say, I'm sad that Billy the Kid is getting outclassed. He's been my favorite player so far and I have no idea why. Maybe because him being so hot & cold leads to those games where he breaks out and racks up a hat trick or something, out of nowhere.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

I disagree but only time will tell, so I'll stop with the derail posts. Anyway I need to go cry about how the Everton board just forced me to sell my best and only striker mid-season for a fraction of his value.

Jeremor posted:

Like a lot of other people, it's inspired me to give FM2014 a try even though I have no clue what I'm doing.

Having no clue hasn't stopped David Moyes in real life, so why should it stop you in a game! Ah Moyes, the gift that keeps on giving.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
e: no sorry for continuing derail

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A Tartan Tory posted:

I really don't want to derail the thread but...

And Hearts have been treated exactly the same way have they? I don't see every fan of Scottish football clamouring for them to be kicked out of the league, for their club to be killed? I do see them getting lots of support from the SFA and SPL who essentially washed their hands of Rangers instead (see: The shameless attempts of the Scottish Football Authorities to blackmail Rangers with their spot in the Scottish Leagues). Now that it's looking more and more likely that Hearts CVA is likely to not be accepted without significant cash injections into Lithuania I will be very interested to see if they will be treated exactly the same way as us rules wise.

Sorry for the derail again! :smith:

I'm going to preface this with two bits of info - 1) I was a celtic supporter when I lived in scotland - been gone for a long time now and don't follow football and 2) I'm going to play devils advocate for a minute.

Basically from what I can tell as someone far removed from the situation, the way rangers were treated by scottish football fans was purely a case of finally seeing (a club) someone who thinks their poo poo doesn't stink being brought low.

I'm not saying that this is a good thing, or that it's the right thing, but when you're a fan of a smaller club that regularly has a 0% chance to get close to the top of the league because a megabastard club stomps all over you with the best foreign players money can buy, it builds up a lot of resentment towards them.

Spread that out over a number of decades and well, it's pretty easy to understand how it happens, even if I don't agree with it.

for what it's worth I was actually pretty sad to hear about what had happened to rangers, and a part of me wants to see it happen to Celtic too, that way there can be some real competition for the loving league instead of every other club shooting at best for a #2 position

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, I just grabbed this game, and I'll probably show up with some questions once I start playing, but I have one question before I start:

What kind of team is best to start with for a beginner: A megabastard? A mid-level team in the first division? A high-level team in a low-level division?

I'd assume that starting off with Football Manager Classic is a good idea, since it's simpler and probably makes it easier to pick up the basics?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

TheMcD posted:

So, I just grabbed this game, and I'll probably show up with some questions once I start playing, but I have one question before I start:

What kind of team is best to start with for a beginner: A megabastard? A mid-level team in the first division? A high-level team in a low-level division?

I'd assume that starting off with Football Manager Classic is a good idea, since it's simpler and probably makes it easier to pick up the basics?

A megabastard. It means you have more money to play around with so you can bring in players fairly freely and tinker around with different formations/playstyles without too much threat to your league standing. Also, Classic might be a bit much as a first time player, as all the tactical tweaks are based on sliders and can be a bit obtuse at times (what does one tick to the left for 'width' mean versus two?), but give it a whirl and see how you like it.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Does your salary affect anything besides bragging rights? Like, if you pay yourself $5/week to save money, are you unable to meet with staff as often because you're dying of hunger?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

edit: was going to respond but it's another long winded derail that I don't want to get into. Long story short, clubs in Scotland don't know how good they had it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Feel free to PM it to me then, I'd be interested in another perspective. As I said, I've been out of the country a decade so my memories of the sport are tinged by being an ex-celtic fan, and nostalgia.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Non Sequitur posted:

Does your salary affect anything besides bragging rights? Like, if you pay yourself $5/week to save money, are you unable to meet with staff as often because you're dying of hunger?

No.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I just got up to the Premier League after back to back promotions...

Dear god :gonk: I have no idea how you're doing so well.

Though perhaps it's because my first matches were Arsenal and then away at Man United.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Cityinthesea posted:

I just got up to the Premier League after back to back promotions...

Dear god :gonk: I have no idea how you're doing so well.

Though perhaps it's because my first matches were Arsenal and then away at Man United.

Nothing quite like playing a team that's paying one player more than your entire wage budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

heard about this through the recommendation thread and I may head back there to give it a plug myself! Excellent thread, you've created an alternate universe that I care a lot about soccer. Semper fortis Wrexham!

• Locked thread