Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Netflix such a clunky piece of poo poo on Apple TV? It's like they hate all the, it's basically a device to enable their slice of the living room moreso. Why muddle through long unresponsive remote control button clicks, when you can just smoothly stream whatever you want to watch from your ipad onto Apple TV. It's a bit like Home Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

osietra posted:

Why is Netflix such a clunky piece of poo poo on Apple TV? It's like they hate all the, it's basically a device to enable their slice of the living room moreso. Why muddle through long unresponsive remote control button clicks, when you can just smoothly stream whatever you want to watch from your ipad onto Apple TV. It's a bit like Home Movies.

Netflix is clunky on any platform that isn't iOS or a laptop.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
So I'm home sick this afternoon from work and I decide to pop on a random Netflix movie. That random movie turned out to be The Artist, which is loving fantastic. I never thought that a silly looking modern tribute to old silent movies could be such an emotional roller coaster.

Also, the end has one of the most heart-pounding moments in any movie I've ever seen, even if it lasts just a second. BANG!

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

So I'm home sick this afternoon from work and I decide to pop on a random Netflix movie. That random movie turned out to be The Artist, which is loving fantastic. I never thought that a silly looking modern tribute to old silent movies could be such an emotional roller coaster.

Also, the end has one of the most heart-pounding moments in any movie I've ever seen, even if it lasts just a second. BANG!

This movie changed my life.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

Netflix is clunky on any platform that isn't iOS or a laptop.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Netflix on my iPhone is better than on my computer or anywhere else I've seen it. If only I could use an unblocker or something with it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Other than the new Netflix interface that they rolled out about 5-6 months ago, why does it seem there are there so many interface differences out there between devices?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Devices have differing levels of garbage hardware and/or operating systems.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

(Rescuers Down Under)

neonnoodle posted:

It's not a great film but it has some of the best bird animation around.

Yeah, after rewatching it last night, that's a good summary. A lot of it felt like Disney had some new technology to show off*. Gorgeous animation, pretty boring/standard writing, and George C. Scott having a grand old time hamming it up as the villain. The last one is the only thing holding me back from adding it to the "put on mute in the background at a party" pile.

*Checking it out, this seems to be it. These "Pixar" guys could have a bright future.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

david_a posted:

Doesn't work for me because I front-load TV shows. I'm at the point where I'm considering dropping some if those, otherwise I just end up paying off some X-Files "debt" (or whatever 45 show is at the top) instead watching any movies. At the rate I watch, something like the X-Files will take 2+ years to get through.

I split TV shows off into their own profile just for this reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched JOBS last night. It is not a very good movie. I do have to give Kutcher some credit. He tried his damnedest. He tried so hard to give a good performance. He just failed miserably. All his lines has awful, awful delivery.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

atholbrose posted:

I split TV shows off into their own profile just for this reason.

This is a brilliant idea and I love you for sharing it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can access Netflix through my iPhone, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Roku, and I actually prefer the Xbox 360 the best. It might be because I've used it the longest, but the format does change every so often when the app updates. It's not too bad.

The Roku (HD) is easily the worst. There is so much lag between remote clicks and the action happening on screen, if it weren't for Pandora I'd get rid of the drat thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The best Netflix experience you can get is Max on the PS4.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Nolanar posted:

(Rescuers Down Under)

...and George C. Scott having a grand old time hamming it up as the villain.

"I didn't make it all the way through third grade for NOTHING!"

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Nolanar posted:

(Rescuers Down Under)

Yeah, after rewatching it last night, that's a good summary. A lot of it felt like Disney had some new technology to show off*. Gorgeous animation, pretty boring/standard writing, and George C. Scott having a grand old time hamming it up as the villain. The last one is the only thing holding me back from adding it to the "put on mute in the background at a party" pile.

*Checking it out, this seems to be it. These "Pixar" guys could have a bright future.

You'd play The Rescuers at a party?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My xbox live gold ran out and I'm too lazy to go buy a cable for my laptop, so I discovered that the wii Netflix is actually pretty good, much better than the xbox 360 one anyway. Having a pointer helps a lot. Typing in searches for things on the 360 app takes about 300 years with the controller, but on the wii it's very fast. The only drawback is that it isn't HD, but that's ok for me right now watching X-Files and Star Trek.

I haven't tried a wii u but I imagine that's probably pretty great for Netflix, since you have a touchscreen and you can use wii remotes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Inudeku posted:

You'd play The Rescuers at a party?

Would go to that party :dance: :pervert: :pcgaming:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Eva Gabor's voice is the best thing about the Rescuers so if it's going to be muted you might as well not bother.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just finished Jobs.

It's not terrible, but by no means is it good. It's like a collection of interesting Apple/Jobs anecdotes filmed and then just sort of haphazardly slapped together. Kutcher is pretty bad even though at times he looks JUST like Jobs. The music they use is all pretty great, while the original soundtrack is an awful sappy swelling heroic poo poo bucket.

Jobs is a pretty hard guy to portray because by all accounts he was a huge rear end in a top hat and it's impossible to ignore that while telling his story. At the same time, this movie tries to make him sympathetic/tragic/heroic and it just seems so forced. David Fincher struck a pretty good balance with Zuckerburg in The Social Network. So it'd be interesting to see if he does end up directing the OTHER Jobs biopic. It's gotta be better than what I just watched.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
My biggest issue with Jobs was that the film essentially stopped in the nineties. As a result, it feels like I'm watching Pirates of Silicon Valley, except with less charm.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

My biggest issue with Jobs was that the film essentially stopped in the nineties. As a result, it feels like I'm watching Pirates of Silicon Valley, except with less charm.

With how awful Kutcher looks in the old-Jobs makeup, maybe it's a good thing they stopped where they did.

I agree with you though. We see Jobs return to Apple and meet Jony Ive. And then......nothing. No iPod. No iPhone. Nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kutcher was basically Kelso for most of the movie, which I found hilarious. He didn't even try to embody Jobs aside from his physical appearance. Pirates of Silicon Valley is the superior film, by miles. Though, if the rumors of Fincher directing Sorkin's biopic on Jobs with Christian Bale as the lead are true, that'll probably be the most accurate (or at least, best directed/acted) depiction of Steve Jobs on film.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

teagone posted:

Kutcher was basically Kelso for most of the movie, which I found hilarious. He didn't even try to embody Jobs aside from his physical appearance. Pirates of Silicon Valley is the superior film, by miles. Though, if the rumors of Fincher directing Sorkin's biopic on Jobs with Christian Bale as the lead are true, that'll probably be the most accurate (or at least, best directed/acted) depiction of Steve Jobs on film.

I think it basically has to take the tack of social network, as others have said. Show jobs as a genius jerk, but also build in enough character moments that you think "at what price glory?!?" when he unveils the iPhone.

It sounds interesting - supposedly Sorkins script is centered on three product launches? I don't know if the script is floating out there or not, or who would know that.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Just watched and enjoyed the hell out of Mud. I love that the kid who plays Neckbone plays Kendal Crowe on the current season of Justified.

If anyone is looking for a fun cheesy horror movie with overt homoerotic subtext than it looks like Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is up on Netflix.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Junkie Disease posted:

After reading up on East Timor and how Indonesia handled its occupation of it. Its pretty frightening.

Balibo (2009) is an Australian film about the 'Balibo Five' a group of journalists that were killed in the days leading to the East Timor invasion.

It was filmed on site with UN forces closing down areas where filming was taking place.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Balibo/70124564?trkid=2361637

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I switched back to Netflix Canada and wow, they have a bunch of recent releases!

Watching world war Z because my wife wanted to, these zombie apocalypse type flicks make me really anxious now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

priznat posted:

I switched back to Netflix Canada and wow, they have a bunch of recent releases!

Watching world war Z because my wife wanted to, these zombie apocalypse type flicks make me really anxious now.

Then you'll be delighted to know that World War Z is the most toothless and meandering zombie flick of the past several years. The only thing to be anxious about is the time you wasted by watching it.

It's a real pity, too. A smart man could've taken the book and made a real eerie Ken Burns-style fake documentary out of it. I think the author even came out and said that the only thing that remains of his original idea is the title, more's the pity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually got some brainless (ha ha) fun out of World War Z. It could have been a lot worse, it could have been a lot better. It also has some truly hosed up political messages (ie the poo poo with Israel).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The book is even worse with its messed up interpretations of how each country would handle the situation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I think it basically has to take the tack of social network, as others have said. Show jobs as a genius jerk, but also build in enough character moments that you think "at what price glory?!?" when he unveils the iPhone.

It sounds interesting - supposedly Sorkins script is centered on three product launches? I don't know if the script is floating out there or not, or who would know that.

No script leak as far I know. I think it was during an interview where Sorkin explicitly said his Jobs film isn't like your typical biopic that follows the the life of the title character. I think what Sorkin imagined is 3 separate 30 minute vignettes that span several years between one another, covering 3 product launches as you mentioned. From what I remember, those vignettes would center around the Macintosh launch, the NeXT cube launch, and the iPod launch.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

teagone posted:

No script leak as far I know. I think it was during an interview where Sorkin explicitly said his Jobs film isn't like your typical biopic that follows the the life of the title character. I think what Sorkin imagined is 3 separate 30 minute vignettes that span several years between one another, covering 3 product launches as you mentioned. From what I remember, those vignettes would center around the Macintosh launch, the NeXT cube launch, and the iPod launch.

Let's hope it's not written like three, lovely 30-minute newsroom episodes.

"GOD DAMMIT YOU CALL IT! SHES DEAD! I AM THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE NEWS CYCLE AND NOT A CHARACTER"

*shudder*

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cocoa Ninja posted:

"GOD DAMMIT YOU CALL IT! SHES DEAD! I AM THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE NEWS CYCLE AND NOT A CHARACTER"

*shudder*

Haha. Apparently each 30 minute segment takes place in realtime, i.e., there are no time jumps/cuts or whatever. Whatever you see happening on the screen takes place in the span of the actual 30 minutes of runtime in the character narrative.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cocoa Ninja posted:

*shudder*

Well Sorkin wrote The Social Network and that movie was excellent so I have pretty high hopes for his Steve Jobs film.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I switched from WWZ to the new Star Trek movie which has some rather hamfisted political allegories of its own. Overall I liked it somewhat but the mirroring of Star Trek 2 was a little distracting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

I switched from WWZ to the new Star Trek movie which has some rather hamfisted political allegories of its own. Overall I liked it somewhat but the mirroring of Star Trek 2 was a little distracting.

That's my take on it. Great movie on its own, if completely devoid of any real substance, but the intentional mirroring of Wrath of Khan was utterly unnecessary and entirely silly (and also completely nonsensical).

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

priznat posted:

Star Drek 2 (see what I did there?) is loving terrible. Which is a real shame considering how much I loved the first.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
World War Z isn't at all bad to people who haven't read the book. It's just that it's surrounded by the typical internet whiny people bullshit. Hollywood took their precious special thing on a pedestal and made a very different thing. By the vocal internet reaction to the movie, you'd think it was a massive bomb. But it wasn't. Rotten Tomatoes top critics has it at 72% and it killed in the box office. Everyone quotes Max Brooks dissing the movie before he saw it, but nobody quotes where he said he actually watched the movie and enjoyed it.

It's a fun movie. But watch it like you're about to see Damon Lindelof action sci-fi rather than a meandering Civil War film.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Meatwave posted:

World War Z isn't at all bad to people who haven't read the book. It's just that it's surrounded by the typical internet whiny people bullshit. Hollywood took their precious special thing on a pedestal and made a very different thing. By the vocal internet reaction to the movie, you'd think it was a massive bomb. But it wasn't. Rotten Tomatoes top critics has it at 72% and it killed in the box office. Everyone quotes Max Brooks dissing the movie before he saw it, but nobody quotes where he said he actually watched the movie and enjoyed it.

It's a fun movie. But watch it like you're about to see Damon Lindelof action sci-fi rather than a meandering Civil War film.

Did he actually dismiss it? I thought the quote was more along the lines of "They paid me to use the title, however much or little of the story they actually use isn't something for me to judge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Meatwave posted:

Never read the book but I thought the movie felt like one of those awful Roland Emmerich global disaster movies but with zombies.

• Locked thread