Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Edit: SA's forum software just informed me that this post was a waste of time. Sorry.

Heavy Zed fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Heavy Zed posted:

The ravings of a mad ghost are incoherent? Tell me more.

Forge is not the most self-aware or emotionally healthy individual. He's nursing about a kilovash of regret over something and it's loving with his head and coloring every interaction. He really really wants someone else to be as bad as he thinks he is.

I don't think Spender is the same though. MikeJF was talking about Isabel being a better person and, well, who taught her that exactly?

You're right, regret totally made him mix up its and it's.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
FYI Darth Windu literally doesn't like anything ever.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Darth Windu posted:

You're right, regret totally made him mix up its and it's.

But "it's" is used correctly in panel 3 :confused:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, panel 3 would totally read terribly if it was supposed to be "its".

It is not.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

But "it's" is used correctly in panel 3 :confused:

Yeah, I looked after he said it and it's is used properly. "For you, good is a rational act. It is rules, it is calculations, it is your choices plugged in a grand equation"

He's explaining what his version of good is, not saying that rules and calculations and choices properties possessed by good. Quite the opposite, really. Get out Darth Windu you can't even grammar right.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Man, now I really want to know what experience in the past made Forge realize his quest for the "greater good" was completely wrong.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 28, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yo if you haven't read the alt text you should go do that right fukken now. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

MikeJF posted:

No, she was going for Eightfold's book, but when she saw Max was falling she went to save him instead, at the cost of losing her own grip and any chance of getting the book. Thus illustrating that she's a better person than Spender see: what Forge is talking about in this comic.

That's pretty good.

I wonder what Spender's grinning about in the last panel?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I hope literally every single important spirit character gives a big dumb lecture on morality and justice and goodness. Every one so far has at least one line I really like.

It's way more obvious in the comedy but Zack is just so generally good at putting words together into sentences I really enjoy.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 28, 2014

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

:allears: Forge just poured his ghost heart out to spender and his face says "this calls for another anime one-liner"!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Whoops, my bad. I read it as good possessing those things. My original point still stands - it is worded incredibly poorly and the guy is obviously not a writer. He admits that it was delayed to polish the writing, and in my opinion it could've used more of a delay. Sorry to short circuit the hugbox!! DIVERT POWER TO THE HUG GENERATORS!! WE NEED MORE HUGS!!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I mean we can agree to disagree, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the writing on this page but if you don't like it that's cool, but you don't have to be a tool about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

I mean we can agree to disagree, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the writing on this page but if you don't like it that's cool, but you don't have to be a tool about it.

Yes he does, that's basically Windu's whole identity.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Forge is huge dork but at least he's cool about it.

Can't be too dorky when you're shooting fire.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

AnonSpore posted:

Yo if you haven't read the alt text you should go do that right fukken now. :allears:

Whenever people say this could you please post it for those of us on phones?

Edit: NVM I figured out how I read it

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Darth Windu posted:

Whoops, my bad. I read it as good possessing those things. My original point still stands - it is worded incredibly poorly and the guy is obviously not a writer. He admits that it was delayed to polish the writing, and in my opinion it could've used more of a delay. Sorry to short circuit the hugbox!! DIVERT POWER TO THE HUG GENERATORS!! WE NEED MORE HUGS!!

I'm sorry people generally disagree with your opinion and that this appears to be irritating your bizarre persecution complex.

Oh no I have the odd opinion out?? This means that everyone else is just a big ol' pillowy circlejerk!

For what it's worth I kind of agree with you that that panel is worded kind of poorly but I'm not going to go ahead and say that a single awkward word balloon makes someone a bad writer you vindictive weirdo.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wind God Sety posted:

It's pretty well written. Doing straightforward dialogue is actually really difficult, when you don't immediately have jokes to hide behind. I think Zack did a great job with this page. Forge sounds like a bit of a blowhard, which I think is part of the character. This isn't like, soapboxing author mouthpiece type stuff.

I'm not sure how valid the opinion is of a dude who can't even read it correctly the first time. It seems vast hyperbole to call someone a bad writer for an awkward line delivered by an awkward character, to another awkward character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darth Windu posted:

You ever notice a large number of your posts seem to be some variation of "Oh sorry I have such a CONTROVERSIAL OPINION! Guess you nerds are too pathetic to handle me, heh."

I mean I agree it's still a bit awkward but you've got a weirdo persecution complex that seeps into a lot of your posts and maybe you could, I dunno, not do that?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You ever notice a large number of your posts seem to be some variation of "Oh sorry I have such a CONTROVERSIAL OPINION! Guess you nerds are too pathetic to handle me, heh."

I mean I agree it's still a bit awkward but you've got a weirdo persecution complex that seeps into a lot of your posts and maybe you could, I dunno, not do that?

Very meta. You're the one following me around.

Space-Bird posted:

It's pretty well written. Doing straightforward dialogue is actually really difficult, when you don't immediately have jokes to hide behind. I think Zack did a great job with this page. Forge sounds like a bit of a blowhard, which I think is part of the character. This isn't like, soapboxing author mouthpiece type stuff.

I'm not sure how valid the opinion is of a dude who can't even read it correctly the first time. It seems vast hyperbole to call someone a bad writer for an awkward line delivered by an awkward character, to another awkward character.

This is a good point, though. Dialogue is difficult. But my evidence isn't just limited to this strip, some of his other writing is wonky too.

It's still an enjoyable comic, god drat. Get off my back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Forge's monologue is pretty cumbersome and could probably be paced out a bit better. That said, the alt-text makes up for it. I'm willing to give it a pass, especially since it fits the character actually spouting this stuff.

However:

Darth Windu posted:

Sorry to short circuit the hugbox!! DIVERT POWER TO THE HUG GENERATORS!! WE NEED MORE HUGS!!

This is a bit much. I mean, really?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is a bit much. I mean, really?

It made me laugh while I was typing it. :shobon:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

This is a good point, though. Dialogue is difficult. But my evidence isn't just limited to this strip, some of his other writing is wonky too.

It's still an enjoyable comic, god drat. Get off my back.

If you like it, why don't you act like it once in a while? Every thread I see you in, all you have to say is how much something sucks. Would is kill you to quit acting like an insufferable smug nerd with a SHOCKING dissenting opinion once in a while?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As far as I know, Zack Morrison isn't a goon and doesn't lurk this thread, so it kinda fails as a hugbox. It's safe to say here that Paranatural sucks if that's what you think. Zack Morrison? More like Hack Morrison, amiright? Thank you, try the fish.

Anyway, I have no problem with today's page, other than it's late. But I'm easily entertained, and people need to be either horrible people or really, really bad at what they do for me to dislike their works.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Slime posted:

If you like it, why don't you act like it once in a while? Every thread I see you in, all you have to say is how much something sucks. Would is kill you to quit acting like an insufferable smug nerd with a SHOCKING dissenting opinion once in a while?

Really the prime problem here is you act like an insufferable smug nerd, not the dissenting opinion. You should stop doing that, Darth Windu.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Probably. Getting people riled up about comics is pretty much his entire shtick.

I'm trying to work out if the third panel would sound better with "it is" instead of "it's". Maybe it's important that Forge is speaking somewhat informally?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Really the prime problem here is you act like an insufferable smug nerd, not the dissenting opinion. You should stop doing that, Darth Windu.

Or get light powers, that would be good too.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

No one has to follow you around to notice that your posting is insufferable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PleasingFungus posted:

That's pretty good.

I wonder what Spender's grinning about in the last panel?

Might be that his excuse is that "his students can take care of themselves" or something? And then the kids go and prove it and it's all sunshine and rainbows and nothing bad happens ever again.

Yeah I dunno, though I do think the first thing there could happen at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

Might be that his excuse is that "his students can take care of themselves" or something? And then the kids go and prove it and it's all sunshine and rainbows and nothing bad happens ever again.

Yeah I dunno, though I do think the first thing there could happen at least.
We are treated to many panels of Max and Isabel doing hijinks and acrobatics and various spectrally things, ultimately emerging unscathed and ready for more.

Then we find out Ed died offscreen like two comics ago.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Then we find out Ed died offscreen like two comics ago.

You joke, but I genuinely think Ed is headed for a death sometime in the greater plot arc of the story. There's a couple things that have been implied/suggested that's going to happen (Isaac leaving the Activity Club, what's up with Dmitri, what will finally convince Isabel to get her poo poo together) and Ed dying or otherwise leaving would be a fine catalyst for all of them. Plus he's not terribly well fleshed-out, even compared to the other comic relief characters.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, that seems a touch too dark.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Not if he comes back as a goofy ghost.

But seriously, don't you freaking DARE talk about Ed dying. He is easily my favorite character, even though he hasn't been all that well developed. Everything we've seen of him has been gold.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Brannock posted:

You joke, but I genuinely think Ed is headed for a death sometime in the greater plot arc of the story. There's a couple things that have been implied/suggested that's going to happen (Isaac leaving the Activity Club, what's up with Dmitri, what will finally convince Isabel to get her poo poo together) and Ed dying or otherwise leaving would be a fine catalyst for all of them. Plus he's not terribly well fleshed-out, even compared to the other comic relief characters.

Dmitri's just a chill and laid back enabler of Suzie, I'm not really sure where you're getting hints from him that Ed's going to die.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Tollymain posted:

I dunno, that seems a touch too dark.

Well, you know, it has been weeks since Spender last watered him.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Angry Walrus posted:

Dmitri's just a chill and laid back enabler of Suzie, I'm not really sure where you're getting hints from him that Ed's going to die.

No, I'm suggesting that Ed dying/otherwise-getting-removed-from-the-plot would be a catalyst for Dmitri returning to the Activity Club. Also it's been heavily foreshadowed that he was the one who originally went nutso and left the club.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Ed isn't gonna die you dweebs. If anything I'm worried about the fact that Eightfold's book, AKA the thing her soul is stuck in, is currently tumbling towards the evil pixel dog-cats. If this page is correct, then spirits are made up of the same spectral energy that ghosts are, and spirits eat that yarnenergy. I'd say that losing her magic paper powers would be a more plausible way to get Isabel to take things a little more seriously.

Or the catdogs could just steal it I guess.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

If Dmitri was in the Activity Club, wouldn't that news chick Suzy know about it and be constantly hounding him to spill his secrets? You can't hide from her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darth Windu posted:

The third panel sticks out as completely horrible. A lot of it reads very awkwardly. Dude's obviously not a writer, and the comic suffers for it sometimes, but it is particularly bad in this one.

I like the metaphor about burning the present, though.

See this is why I can't take you seriously Windu, you try to pass yourself off as ~just a sincere critic~ but an actual critic would have something of more substance to say. You're criticizing but you don't actually say anything. And this is pretty much always the case with you! You don't criticize, you fly in to say "this is bad because it's awkward" and then helicopter away. Alright, cool story bro.

So yeah, in light of this and your behavior in all other threads ever, Occam's Razor bids me assume you're just arguing in bad faith and trollin' :shrug:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The third panel reads almost like a rap.