Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Is there a way to set up stockpiles for specific ores? I can't find listings for realgar, kimberlite, etc. in the stockpile settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

Eldiran posted:

Thank you! I'm really glad people are liking it :) I agree that the kid didn't stick around long enough to really be meaningful, but for gameplay/pacing it was best to keep it short.

Thanks! :D I hoped those parts would be especially satisfying. And that is true about the final boss... though everyone's first instinct is to run after they shoot, which makes it harder for them. I'll have to think about how to balance those two strategies.

Yep, I can't wait either! :) Here's hoping I get it out in the next 6 months as planned.

Thanks for playing!

EDIT: @Tunicate: hey! if you're from the EU, I may have fixed whatever bug you encountered. (Turns out using commas instead of periods in decimal numbers also applies to EU programs.) There's a new version up at https://radcodex.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/depths-of-boatmurdered/

This was a really good game. Every enemy is well introduced and designed. I think the elephant bone tornado things are a little TOO easy to dodge, but otherwise no problem.

My only complaint would be the text, the entire game explains everything to you without words other than SAVE, from the orange crates, to the boulders to the planks, every enemy is done the same way, the text just seems a bit off, especially when you can sort of piece together what happened without a narration.

I did however run into a bug in the final tunnel after the boss. My poor dwarf guy turned to the right and got stuck walking into a wall. Maybe you have a script that turns on auto run, and I might have hit right at the wrong time?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

duralict posted:

Is there a way to set up stockpiles for specific ores? I can't find listings for realgar, kimberlite, etc. in the stockpile settings.

They aren't ores. They're just stones.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

scamtank posted:

They aren't ores. They're just stones.

I don't know what else to call them, it's the stones that appear in "vein walls" instead of "rock walls". In any case I still can't find where I can allow/forbid them in the stockpile settings, they just don't seem to have an entry.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

duralict posted:

I don't know what else to call them, it's the stones that appear in "vein walls" instead of "rock walls". In any case I still can't find where I can allow/forbid them in the stockpile settings, they just don't seem to have an entry.

:confused:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

duralict posted:

ahahah e: gently caress beaten like a wrestler fighting a giant sponge

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

This is what I've got:

Why wouldn't it show all the stones?

e: vv well I feel dumb. I had no idea it was paginating, because of the 6 inches of empty space at the bottom of the list on my screen.

duralict fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 28, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did you try paging through the list on the right? It's longer than one page.

Eldiran
Mar 20, 2014

Dementedghost posted:

This was a really good game. Every enemy is well introduced and designed. I think the elephant bone tornado things are a little TOO easy to dodge, but otherwise no problem.

My only complaint would be the text, the entire game explains everything to you without words other than SAVE, from the orange crates, to the boulders to the planks, every enemy is done the same way, the text just seems a bit off, especially when you can sort of piece together what happened without a narration.

I did however run into a bug in the final tunnel after the boss. My poor dwarf guy turned to the right and got stuck walking into a wall. Maybe you have a script that turns on auto run, and I might have hit right at the wrong time?

Thanks! And yeah, I kind of agree about the text. I really wanted a satisfying ending, though, and I figured plenty of people wouldn't really get into it without some more explicit explanation.

Now that is an interesting bug. There shouldn't be any auto run goin' on there... did you get stuck permanently, and have to reload the game? (Musta been annoying to glitch out right after beating that boss)

Thanks for the feedback!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Life is cruel to dwarves sometimes. I just had a baby transform into a werewolf in its mother's arms, who then tossed him into the fort's primary indoor water source with no way out. I'm in a haunted embark, so when he changes back and drowns I'll probably have a baby dwarf corpse swimming around in his mother's drinking water.

Armok pretty much said "gently caress you, kid" before he could even walk.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Is there a reason every world I generate has tons of ONE kind of ore and gems, but nothing else? Last three worlds have been like this no matter where I embark.

I've tried messing with the mineral scarcity settings because I've heard that extremely low values cause issues, but even at the default values and higher I'm running into this.

For example, the last world I genned had a site with five z levels of nothing but gypsum and fire agate in conglomerate.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So, cavern floor fungus. I want it, but when I breached the caverns it doesn't have any. I'm searching for maybe another cavern deeper down, as the highest one was pretty near the surface, but no luck finding a different, deeper cavern so far. Am I screwed out of floor fungus? Is there a command in DFHack or something that will just let me turn it on?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there a reason every world I generate has tons of ONE kind of ore and gems, but nothing else? Last three worlds have been like this no matter where I embark.

I've tried messing with the mineral scarcity settings because I've heard that extremely low values cause issues, but even at the default values and higher I'm running into this.

For example, the last world I genned had a site with five z levels of nothing but gypsum and fire agate in conglomerate.

Similarly, I can never seem to find hematite at my embark sites, even when I use the prospect feature in DFHack.It's all malachite and cassiterite.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

duralict posted:

e: vv well I feel dumb. I had no idea it was paginating, because of the 6 inches of empty space at the bottom of the list on my screen.

DF taking full advantage of available window real estate is kind of a crap shoot. Case in point: the worldgen screen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Makaris posted:

So, cavern floor fungus. I want it, but when I breached the caverns it doesn't have any. I'm searching for maybe another cavern deeper down, as the highest one was pretty near the surface, but no luck finding a different, deeper cavern so far. Am I screwed out of floor fungus? Is there a command in DFHack or something that will just let me turn it on?

I'm not sure what would cause fungus to not be present in the caverns. I've never seen that before. You could try digging down to the crypt or abyss but but if the top layer is missing fungus I don't see why they wouldn't be as well.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Life is cruel to dwarves sometimes. I just had a baby transform into a werewolf in its mother's arms, who then tossed him into the fort's primary indoor water source with no way out. I'm in a haunted embark, so when he changes back and drowns I'll probably have a baby dwarf corpse swimming around in his mother's drinking water.

Armok pretty much said "gently caress you, kid" before he could even walk.

How the hell did a baby turn into a werewolf? :psyduck:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell did a baby turn into a werewolf? :psyduck:

Chalking it up to Masterwork weirdness. He was listed as a "baby werewolf" instead of just a werewolf in the unit list after transformation. No corpse baby in the end, he jumped out of the pool and got hacked up by a swordsdwarf.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure what would cause fungus to not be present in the caverns. I've never seen that before. You could try digging down to the crypt or abyss but but if the top layer is missing fungus I don't see why they wouldn't be as well.

Yeah I have no idea. Every other cavern I've ever breached had all the usual mushroom trees and fungus floors. This one's just regular stone, and it's muddy. No clue. I'll keep searching but it'd be neat if there was a utility that just told the game 'yeah you found fungus' so that'd it'd start generating on it's own.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makaris posted:

Yeah I have no idea. Every other cavern I've ever breached had all the usual mushroom trees and fungus floors. This one's just regular stone, and it's muddy. No clue. I'll keep searching but it'd be neat if there was a utility that just told the game 'yeah you found fungus' so that'd it'd start generating on it's own.

I've heard that can happen if you reclaim. Did you reclaim? Or does the reclaim bug make the mud disappear too? So many bugs to keep track of.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Didn't reclaim. I think that bug is related to making the mud vanish.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Makaris posted:

I'll keep searching but it'd be neat if there was a utility that just told the game 'yeah you found fungus' so that'd it'd start generating on it's own.

I haven't tried it, but this DFHack command looks like it should let you do just that.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#feature

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Oh you bastards and your wonderfully laid out megathread with bundled mods and tilesets. I'm in, Let's see how long I can keep "Tubecrafts" afloat. Strike the earth!

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Oh you bastards and your wonderfully laid out megathread with bundled mods and tilesets. I'm in, Let's see how long I can keep "Tubecrafts" afloat. Strike the earth!

With that sort of name, your only export to the mountainhomes should be pipe sections. Would make for a fun challenge fortress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Design the entire fort to look like a level from a Mario game. Every building is connected by a series of olivine pipes.

VVV Dwarves are better at working metal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 29, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So why is everyone stuck in the bronze era (sans crossbows) except dwarves.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Toady didn't know enough about metallurgy to come up with a neat dwarven advantage, I guess. So everybody else stopped having access to steel.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Apoffys posted:

I haven't tried it, but this DFHack command looks like it should let you do just that.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#feature

Brilliant man, you are awesome. It listed off a bunch of cavern options as 'shown', but a few were still hidden, perhaps just off map. Set to those to show and bam, done. Thanks again.

Evil Sheep
Jan 28, 2009
How do I keep Urist McBrassballs, hunter, from making a final last stand everytime she gets amubushed?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Internet Kraken posted:

I see these mud caverns all the time, I just figured they were another type of cavern biome, kinda like how you get the lake caverns that are almost completely water, and the "desert" caverns with the blood thorns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus. Maybe its related to world generation? I'm not sure how but if you generated a really small world it might be possible for a species to be eliminated early in generation and thus never show up. I have no idea if that is possible, probably not but I'm just throwing out random explanations.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

I've somehow created a pit that invaders want to go into. There's nothing down there at all and it doesn't lead anywhere, it's just a pit near the entrance, but the goblins keep walking down the access stairs and just standing around at the bottom of it for months, with the corpses of whoever actually falls into it. :confused:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

duralict posted:

I've somehow created a pit that invaders want to go into. There's nothing down there at all and it doesn't lead anywhere, it's just a pit near the entrance, but the goblins keep walking down the access stairs and just standing around at the bottom of it for months, with the corpses of whoever actually falls into it. :confused:

Could be one of the pathfinding bugs related to sieges and unit leaders. Sometimes the unit will mill around the last known location of their leader if he died, or even worse, if the unit leader has a flying or swimming mount, the leader will go 1 Z level into the air or down into the water and the entire unit's pathfinding will break.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

duralict posted:

The hole was made for them :shepface:

Actually, I think invaders will just chose relatively random areas to hang out if they can't path to your civilians or find any buildings to destroy. Usually it will be around what the game considers to be the entrance to your fort, but in typical DF fashion whatever te game does to determine that isn't perfect. So they might be in the hole just because if you ignore the impassable walls its close to your dwarves. If you opened up an actual entrance, no doubt they would all come charging towards it like sharks homing in on a wounded seal.

Neurion posted:

Could be one of the pathfinding bugs related to sieges and unit leaders. Sometimes the unit will mill around the last known location of their leader if he died, or even worse, if the unit leader has a flying or swimming mount, the leader will go 1 Z level into the air or down into the water and the entire unit's pathfinding will break.

This can also happen. If their is a goblin commander's corpse in the hole they might be hanging out next to it, possibly conducting a ritual to gain advice from beyond the grave.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus. Maybe its related to world generation? I'm not sure how but if you generated a really small world it might be possible for a species to be eliminated early in generation and thus never show up. I have no idea if that is possible, probably not but I'm just throwing out random explanations.

Sometimes you get a no water/mud only caverns through all three layers.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Welp, ol' Tubecrafts made it about three winters before a were-rear end and a minotaur arrived within two seasons of each other, cue tantrum-spiral

Onward we go with "Cobaltrings" and yes, I will try to mine a source of cobalt and exclusively export cobalt rings to mountainhome. :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Internet Kraken posted:

In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus.

I play with aquifers off and I get this all the time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Aquifers don't affect cave water levels at all. The dampness is determined in worldgen.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So they might be in the hole just because if you ignore the impassable walls its close to your dwarves. If you opened up an actual entrance, no doubt they would all come charging towards it like sharks homing in on a wounded seal.

Nope, there's an unblocked entrance to the fort. But now caravans have started bypassing it too, for no explicable reason (there's an open three-tile-wide path straight into the fort from multiple edges but the Depot Accessibility view green line just stops 2/3 of the way down). I don't know wtf is going on with the pathing in this fort.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

duralict posted:

Nope, there's an unblocked entrance to the fort. But now caravans have started bypassing it too, for no explicable reason (there's an open three-tile-wide path straight into the fort from multiple edges but the Depot Accessibility view green line just stops 2/3 of the way down). I don't know wtf is going on with the pathing in this fort.

Okay yeah if there's a path into your fort and invaders aren't gunning for it something has definitely gone horribly wrong with the pathing.

My recommendation is to introduce magma to the pit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay yeah if there's a path into your fort and invaders aren't gunning for it something has definitely gone horribly wrong with the pathing.

My recommendation is to introduce magma to the pit.

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

As far as I know, steam doesn't hurt people like it used to, now it's just a gentle cleansing. You could put your dwarves in the steam room instead, maybe they'd like it!