Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Getting very off-topic but I wish Adaptec still did good low-end SATA PCIe RAID controllers. I got a 1430SA (Now EoL) ages ago and it has been solid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

yomisei posted:

Is it worth to go for a Supermicro X10SL7-F with its internal LSI SAS2308 controller instead of a dedicated card? Can it be passed through as well?

Yeah that 2308 can pass through. I have one with FreeNAS using it.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

phosdex posted:

Yeah that 2308 can pass through. I have one with FreeNAS using it.

Cheers.

Looks like it is the only available board for socket 1150 with any SAS controller at all, some others are announced but I can't find any of them on the consumer market.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Cross posting from the Cert thread;

http://professionalvmware.com/2014/03/buy-one-get-one-free-virtualization-books/

BOGO books

Also about to stand up and run through a lab of migrating from XenServer/XenDesktop to Xendesktop on VMware.

If anyone wants I can do running updates to the thread.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 25, 2014

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

mutantbandgeek posted:

So I guess now is as good of time as any to invest in the school and tech.

So with that said...gonna need a lab! This will be my 4th setup, so here's what I have planned; let me know which you guys think is neat since I don't have any most of the hardware anymore. Time to start fresh and order some stuff from Amazon and enter credit card debit:
Really wanna keep everything around $1k said and done.

Remember, you are trying to prepare for a virtualization cert. Your entire lab environment can be virtual and can probably be created on your current computer. Even most of your Cisco study can be done in a virtual lab. It's nice to play with new hardware but you may not want to take on credit card debt just to practice for a test, especially if you're already paying the full price for the ICM course. Once you get the cert and a job in the field you would be working on much different hardware anyway.

Here is the VCP5 blueprint: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=45082&ui=www_cert

My advice would be to get on the waiting list for the Stanly CC class, build your lab, and start reading the docs in the blueprint. By the time the class rolls around you'll already be pretty prepared for the exam. The class alone won't really prepare you for the exam.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just took my VCP-510 test, and passed!

Thank you to Dilbert and everyone else who has helped answer my questions in this thread. I think I got the first suggestion to look for a Community College class from this thread. Definitely worth the time and money.

Now I have time to work on some other certs to become a well rounded IT professional. I'm glad I started with Virtualization, if I want to run a server 2012 machine I can do that with my lab.

:yotj: here I come!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just took my VCP-510 test, and passed!

Thank you to Dilbert and everyone else who has helped answer my questions in this thread. I think I got the first suggestion to look for a Community College class from this thread. Definitely worth the time and money.

Now I have time to work on some other certs to become a well rounded IT professional. I'm glad I started with Virtualization, if I want to run a server 2012 machine I can do that with my lab.

:yotj: here I come!

Congrats dude!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I know this is more or less for the parts picker thread, but I posted and nobody responded. Does anybody know if the Q87 chipset is worthwhile to use v-pro specifically for vmware purposes? I know v-pro comes with a ton of crap, but I can't find much practical information on what benefits that a consumer grade PC might get from the virtual machine part of v-pro. This type of work is the only real thing this PC will do, but also play movies and web browsing. The vm's involved are database servers for testing purposes.

Conversely, do the features you drop for getting a Q87 chipset affect day to day use (over a typical Z77) ? Q87 choices are pretty limited, although seemingly competent. It's sort of unclear what you're really losing over Z77 except for the fact you are losing features.

Woops, I may have confused the vt-d benefit with vpro. Ugh time to do more research.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 27, 2014

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
You might be better off just going with a Xeon chipset board designed for being a workstation. I have the SNB version (P8B WS) for my ESXi box, and have been really happy with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131849

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

I know this is more or less for the parts picker thread, but I posted and nobody responded. Does anybody know if the Q87 chipset is worthwhile to use v-pro specifically for vmware purposes? I know v-pro comes with a ton of crap, but I can't find much practical information on what benefits that a consumer grade PC might get from the virtual machine part of v-pro. This type of work is the only real thing this PC will do, but also play movies and web browsing. The vm's involved are database servers for testing purposes.

Conversely, do the features you drop for getting a Q87 chipset affect day to day use (over a typical Z77) ? Q87 choices are pretty limited, although seemingly competent. It's sort of unclear what you're really losing over Z77 except for the fact you are losing features.

Woops, I may have confused the vt-d benefit with vpro. Ugh time to do more research.

I have an Intel Q77 board that supports vpro, if I install a vpro processor then the boards management features can be enabled. Why this requires cpu support I don't know. But thats the way Intel segments. I don't think vpro enables anything else for me on that board.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

phosdex posted:

I have an Intel Q77 board that supports vpro, if I install a vpro processor then the boards management features can be enabled. Why this requires cpu support I don't know. But thats the way Intel segments. I don't think vpro enables anything else for me on that board.

I just read, finally, that the virtualization portion of vpro is actually just vt-d, which is available separately on other chipsets.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ignoarints posted:

I just read, finally, that the virtualization portion of vpro is actually just vt-d, which is available separately on other chipsets.

Sort of. It's the combination of VT-x and VT-d, and enabling both at once so you can manage virtualized systems with vPro.

VT-d is unnecessary for most people anyway.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

evol262 posted:

Sort of. It's the combination of VT-x and VT-d, and enabling both at once so you can manage virtualized systems with vPro.

VT-d is unnecessary for most people anyway.

Thanks, I'll look into it more. This isn't for me, at least not right now (I will be getting into this in the summer) but thats why I lack the knowledge

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can I run vCenter, SRM, and vSphere replication all on SQL Express or do I need the full-blow MS SQL?

I have a 3-server cluster here and a single server cluster at our DR site.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I don't THINK it will work, I'd have to look it up though, never used it with sql express.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone know if the vCenter SSO server natively integrates with RSA SecureID or can be made to?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Groan, I just tried to migrate from a 5.1 vCenter to 5.5 for the experience of it, and while SSO works on the new 5.5 server, and I've added domain admins as to the administrator group in the web client, when I log on with a domain admin account, while it is successful in logging in, I can't perform any actions and it doesn't see the vCenter server at all:

which means I missed a step :( what'd I gloss over?

(I should mention that if I log in as administrator@vsphere-local it sees the server and I can perform actions)

eee: Oh I'd added domain admins to administrators, but never gave it permissions to the vCenter server, that'd do it

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 28, 2014

mutantbandgeek
Jan 5, 2003

by Ralp
Think x2 i5 Intel NUCs for a home lab/cluster will suck with just having the one onboard NIC? When getting into vSwitches and stuff, will having the one nic really make a difference for learning? I'd run vCenter on my labtop in Fusion to keep it off the hosts to save RAM.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mutantbandgeek posted:

Think x2 i5 Intel NUCs for a home lab/cluster will suck with just having the one onboard NIC? When getting into vSwitches and stuff, will having the one nic really make a difference for learning? I'd run vCenter on my labtop in Fusion to keep it off the hosts to save RAM.

You should at least run them into a managed switch so you can VLAN it and experiment with more complex network configs. But they'll easily take 8gb. Just run vCenter on the hosts.

NUCs aren't really cost effective for a home lab/cluster compared to mATX AMD boards loaded with memory, which have the added bonus of letting you add cheap Intel PCIe NICs, though.

mutantbandgeek
Jan 5, 2003

by Ralp

evol262 posted:

You should at least run them into a managed switch so you can VLAN it and experiment with more complex network configs. But they'll easily take 8gb. Just run vCenter on the hosts.

NUCs aren't really cost effective for a home lab/cluster compared to mATX AMD boards loaded with memory, which have the added bonus of letting you add cheap Intel PCIe NICs, though.

This is what I was thinking, I just needed someone else to tell me I'm a moron.

I remember seeing a thread about home labs, so I'll browse through it and add some stuff to my cart on amazon. I wanna buy all the hardware today so I can mess with it next week. My budget is around $1200 including the $250 Cisco Switch, so $1k is where I'd like to keep atleast 2 hosts. The single server host with nested ESX installs is always an option, but with 32GB limit. Maybe one of the dual chip boards that go up to 64GB will be worth it in the end over buying two PSU's, and two cases instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Groan, I just tried to migrate from a 5.1 vCenter to 5.5 for the experience of it, and while SSO works on the new 5.5 server, and I've added domain admins as to the administrator group in the web client, when I log on with a domain admin account, while it is successful in logging in, I can't perform any actions and it doesn't see the vCenter server at all:

which means I missed a step :( what'd I gloss over?

(I should mention that if I log in as administrator@vsphere-local it sees the server and I can perform actions)

eee: Oh I'd added domain admins to administrators, but never gave it permissions to the vCenter server, that'd do it

My memory is hazy on this one but there's a vCenter group that you need to add your AD group to. I can't be more helpful as I don't have access to the server that I set this up on, and it was about 8 months back. But you're not alone in finding it a pain in the arse.

Edit: That will teach me to not refresh before replying.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mutantbandgeek posted:

This is what I was thinking, I just needed someone else to tell me I'm a moron.

I remember seeing a thread about home labs, so I'll browse through it and add some stuff to my cart on amazon. I wanna buy all the hardware today so I can mess with it next week. My budget is around $1200 including the $250 Cisco Switch, so $1k is where I'd like to keep atleast 2 hosts. The single server host with nested ESX installs is always an option, but with 32GB limit. Maybe one of the dual chip boards that go up to 64GB will be worth it in the end over buying two PSU's, and two cases instead.

$1200 will get you two Haswell i5 boards with 32gb each and a Powerconnect 5324 (unless you absolutely need Cisco for whatever reason, a 1910-24g or Powerconnect 5324 are equally functional, more affordable alternatives to 3750s, which is what I assume you're after), but no cases or drives, probably. Or you can get 16GB each with 64GB SSDs and cases. Or 32GB with AMD CPUs. Dual CPU boards are not worth it.

mutantbandgeek
Jan 5, 2003

by Ralp

evol262 posted:

$1200 will get you two Haswell i5 boards with 32gb each and a Powerconnect 5324

Cool, I'll search newegg's intel boards.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Caged posted:

My memory is hazy on this one but there's a vCenter group that you need to add your AD group to. I can't be more helpful as I don't have access to the server that I set this up on, and it was about 8 months back. But you're not alone in finding it a pain in the arse.

Edit: That will teach me to not refresh before replying.
Yeah this is like the 5th time I've done it and I've found it tedious every time.

To be honest, I completely misunderstood everything about 5.5, and thought that the web client was the only thing supported, and that the legacy client was only supported for a few very basic tasks at this point. I read while troubleshooting this that the legacy client is still useful for everything it was used for, it's only new features that require the web client. That means I need to read up on it a lot more, because I don't enjoy the web client much at all, which has held me back from embracing 5.5. Now that I know that's not a concern, I can charge into 5.5, and the quicker I do that the quicker I can get past my concerns on the web client.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The confusion is that the thick client is completely useless now unless you have a vCenter Server, so everyone running actual production stuff on a free hypervisor got a bit irritated and loud. Connect the client to one of the hosts as opposed to the vCenter instance and you'll see what I mean.

But the focus is very much on the web interface going forward, and I'm in two minds about that. It's great for me because I use a Mac and got bored using a Windows VM to manage vSphere.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
VM loving their tools is a pretty good boost for Hyper-V. As long as you have Windows the GUI* tools are free.

*Note: Hyper-V 2012 requires Win8/2012 to manage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All the cool stuff comes with SCVMM though, which is a non-trivial thing to set up, whereas vCenter can just be deployed as a virtual appliance and left to sort itself out.

If you're a Windows shop though then yeah, Hyper-V makes a lot of sense.

mutantbandgeek
Jan 5, 2003

by Ralp
How either of these look? The shuttle one would really be nice for space and stacked, but they only run 16GB. The second would be 32Gb each and be $200 bucks more with a newer cpu:

mutantbandgeek fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I wouldn't trust the psu in the second one.

Also, is ram really that expensive now? drat.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wild EEPROM posted:

I wouldn't trust the psu in the second one.

Also, is ram really that expensive now? drat.

The power supply is probably fine. It's not like it's powering an EXTREME GAYMER machine or anything that needs 5000 amps on the 12v rail.

No, memory is not that expensive. It could be about 10-20% cheaper by purchasing 16gb (2x8) kits (~$260 for 32gb instead of $310 or $520 instead of $570), since it's not important that they be matched sets.

mutantbandgeek
Jan 5, 2003

by Ralp

evol262 posted:

The power supply is probably fine. It's not like it's powering an EXTREME GAYMER machine or anything that needs 5000 amps on the 12v rail.

No, memory is not that expensive. It could be about 10-20% cheaper by purchasing 16gb (2x8) kits (~$260 for 32gb instead of $310 or $520 instead of $570), since it's not important that they be matched sets.

Yea its about $520 for 4 kits of 16GB, so I changed it. Gonna price is out on Amazon and see if I can get any break on tax.

edit: would save $20 with Amazon cause of prime.

mutantbandgeek fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 29, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I need some geographical help with some things, and a VDI project I am working on. Anyone by chance wanna help me test end user experience?

bigdookie
Nov 21, 2005
The Awesome!
Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I need some geographical help with some things, and a VDI project I am working on. Anyone by chance wanna help me test end user experience?

I would be interested, I am just now in the beginning phase of looking into a VDI implementation at work, and I want to see just how 'good' things are when I can experience them first hand and not from some Dell whitepaper.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is totally a 101 question but for some reason I can't think of the answer:

If you use a vCenter server to manage your individual ESXi hosts, does that in any way prevent you from logging into each individual ESXi host and managing it as you would without a vCenter server? Obviously I'm not talking about things like vMotion or DRS or anything, just basic "start/stop/create/delete" tasks.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Martytoof posted:

If you use a vCenter server to manage your individual ESXi hosts, does that in any way prevent you from logging into each individual ESXi host and managing it as you would without a vCenter server? Obviously I'm not talking about things like vMotion or DRS or anything, just basic "start/stop/create/delete" tasks.

You can still do all of that stuff.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Nothing stops you, and it can be useful for troubleshooting esxi<->vcenter communication issues.

When joining an esxi server to a vcenter server, you are prompted if you want to turn this off, so it may not always be available. You'll also need the password for that ESXi server, as it has no idea about vcenter/ad users.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. I've got a client with a lot of standalone ESXi hosts that are a nightmare to manage individually. I'd like to sell them on central management via VCSA and being able to throw all the hosts into a 60 day demo VCSA would probably go a long way. My only concern was backing everything out if they weren't interested.

Welp, you can't manage free hypervisors with vCenter anyway so there goes my idea.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 1, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Thanks guys. I've got a client with a lot of standalone ESXi hosts that are a nightmare to manage individually. I'd like to sell them on central management via VCSA and being able to throw all the hosts into a 60 day demo VCSA would probably go a long way. My only concern was backing everything out if they weren't interested.

Welp, you can't manage free hypervisors with vCenter anyway so there goes my idea.

Essentials is like 500 bucks, covers 3 hosts.

Also: vExpert 2014 got announced today, I guess I made it in. Some other goons as well, congrats all!

http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2014/04/vexpert-2014-announcement.html

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 2, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Essentials is like 500 bucks, covers 3 hosts.

Yeah, we sell essentials to most of our clients but this one just has their own way of doing things :(

... which leaves us managing dozens of ESXi hosts by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, we sell essentials to most of our clients but this one just has their own way of doing things :(

... which leaves us managing dozens of ESXi hosts by hand.

I hope your billing reflects this fact.