Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FlashBangBob posted:

Resource bases will deliver poo poo to your island like the coins on the floaty boats near your troop dock.

A BIG THING ABOUT RESOURCE BASES: Other *players* will attack that base and conquer it. Every time it gets conquered it auto-levels up all the defensive buildings on the base, making it harder and harder to re-conquer.

I've owned one where I didn't farm all the trees and put a rocket launcher in the trees and an attacking player didn't see it, and I wasted him 3 or 4 times before he could figure out how to destroy it.

How do you build defenses on the resource island? I have no build button there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I think if you click on existing items, you can MOVE stuff. Not sure about building new, though,.

[edit] but Yeah I just tried to drag a weapon behind an existing tree and it ghosts the tree making it see through.

FlashBangBob tell us your secrets. <3

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 28, 2014

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Did Clash of Clans have its own thread? If so, methinks Boom Beach needs one.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah the defenses that are there are all that are there, but they get upgraded to higher levels each time the island trades hands, and at some point new defenses will automatically show up based on the number of times the island is traded hands. You're stuck with whatever is on there to build the best defense possible, even if its obviously not enough to defend an attack. You've gotta go back and forth with the same guy, basically, until the defenses get so strong one of you can't win. I had a few resource islands that never got attacked, though.

As far as the defense makes the trees see-through, they may have fixed it since the beta in November when I played it. You could use a big forest to practically hide the defenses, even though you could see it though the cracks.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Nightsky is free right now.
It's not especially challenging but it's a wonderfully relaxing game to kick back to.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I got into the World of Tanks Blitz beta and its plays pretty great. About 300 people playing right now and 95% of them are horrible, so take this with a grain of salt but I'm having a blast.

You can still bounce shells by presenting your tank at an angle to the enemy, and howitzers are still hilarious. Plus the T82 is still in the game so you can fly around the map in a Jeep with an oversized cannon stuck on the front. Whats not to love?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Duranki posted:

Did Clash of Clans have its own thread? If so, methinks Boom Beach needs one.

Flavor of the month games take over the thread for a few pages. Just learn to read past it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

devilmouse posted:

You should also harvest the crap out of the wood on the island when you take it over.

Holy gently caress, I had no idea you could do this!

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Vadun posted:

I got into the World of Tanks Blitz beta and its plays pretty great. About 300 people playing right now and 95% of them are horrible, so take this with a grain of salt but I'm having a blast.

You can still bounce shells by presenting your tank at an angle to the enemy, and howitzers are still hilarious. Plus the T82 is still in the game so you can fly around the map in a Jeep with an oversized cannon stuck on the front. Whats not to love?

I'm downloading it right now. What are you playing it on? I'm wondering if my old mini is going to have trouble running it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Quickpull posted:

I'm downloading it right now. What are you playing it on? I'm wondering if my old mini is going to have trouble running it.

I have an old mini and it works flawlessly. Worst I've seen the framerate get is 35 and that's when you're chugging over a hill and tanks are getting blasted.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Vadun posted:

I have an old mini and it works flawlessly. Worst I've seen the framerate get is 35 and that's when you're chugging over a hill and tanks are getting blasted.

Yeah it runs pretty well considering it seems to be a straight port of World of Tanks. That also happens to be the main downside of the game as well. I wish there was a iPad version of Warthunder instead :allears:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shattered Planet is pretty sweet. Definitely scratches the roguelike itch and I like their spin on it.

One thing I don't like though is that when you are buying bronze silver and gold stuff back on the ship that weapons are soooo much rarer than headgear. After just having played this afternoon I have a poo poo ton of helmets in storage but still have to try to buy a weapon after every death. It is a cheap way to keep us spending crystals - I would rather have higher prices for each teir than sit there amassing a ton of helmets while I try to get even the most basic weapon for my next run.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's the Sculptor do in Boom Beach and is it worth the investment?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Feenix posted:

What's the Sculptor do in Boom Beach and is it worth the investment?

From what I gather, once you make it you have a chance of getting crystals when taking out bases. You then use those to construct statues which confer buffs to various things. Build times, building health, buffs to troops. You also seem to get a powder to buff the buff they give?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I spent three bucks on a game that doesn't launch.

Do I have any recourse other then bad reviews?

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

Fix posted:

Tap the Support link in iTunes/App Store and contact the devs. It might even be something they already have a workaround for and if not, it may be something your particular crash can fix and have sorted in a quick update. Bad reviews don't really do much to warn other users (as they quite probably won't have the same crash and only users in your country will see it anyway) and do absolutely nothing for the devs as there's no debug info and no way for them to contact you to find out the circumstances of the crash that can help fix it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

http://www.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fix posted:

Sometimes restarting your iPhone/ipad can help with game crashing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'd like to love Shattered Planet, but I'm getting Title screen -> Loading... -> crash to desktop every time on my iTouch 4Gen.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
The random items are fine, but I'd like to be able to pick whether I get headgear or a weapon.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shattered Planets was super laggy every time I took a step in a dungeon.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

delfin posted:

I'd like to love Shattered Planet, but I'm getting Title screen -> Loading... -> crash to desktop every time on my iTouch 4Gen.

The 4th generation iPod Touch has half the RAM (256MB) of even the iPhone 4 so unfortunately it's just not able to run some of the newer games. Plus, there's no way as a developer to single it out as an "incompatible device" on the App Store - you'll see a lot of app descriptions that say "DOES NOT RUN ON IPOD TOUCH 4TH GENERATION" or something.

At least try restarting your device and see if that helps.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

HiriseSoftware posted:

The 4th generation iPod Touch has half the RAM (256MB) of even the iPhone 4 so unfortunately it's just not able to run some of the newer games. Plus, there's no way as a developer to single it out as an "incompatible device" on the App Store - you'll see a lot of app descriptions that say "DOES NOT RUN ON IPOD TOUCH 4TH GENERATION" or something.

At least try restarting your device and see if that helps.

Yep, I did a full powerdown-and-restart cycle and it didn't help. I'm painfully aware that game designers are waving the 4Gen aside these days -- too many good games are either off limits (Threes) for it or crash all the time on it (Calculords).

Now, if the iTunes summary read like Threes's:

quote:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

PLEASE NOTE: This game does not run on 3GS iPhones or 4th Gen iPods!

I'd have hung my head mournfully and looked for something else to play.

But it doesn't:

quote:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

So either they're pretty fuzzy on what the actual requirements are or they have some optimizing to do.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

delfin posted:

So either they're pretty fuzzy on what the actual requirements are or they have some optimizing to do.

That "Compatibility" line from the App Store is generated by Apple, not the developer. The developer can specify things called "required device capabilities" so that the App Store can check which devices match those capabilities. Unfortunately, the 4G has the same "capabilities" as all of those other devices, except the RAM. If "required RAM" was one of the capabilities that developers could set, then 4G owners could at least have a better understanding of what doesn't work on their devices. A developer could exclude the 4G by setting a "capability" but doing so would also exclude other devices that shouldn't be excluded.

Although yes, it would be nice if the developer optimized the game to use less memory - maybe turning off HD/2x images for 4G only (even though the 4G has Retina)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Is there any particular reason for why Apple has the system it does? I mean, it probably saves effort for general app makers, but for games, it just seems to not make much sense. At the very least, it'd be easier for Apple to ask devs to state "iDevice X and up".

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Shattered Planet crashes all the time on my ipad 2 as well .

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

With Boom Beach, am I supposed to be clicking on stuff to collect resources or does it accumulate by itself? Is loading the game regularly just a minor advantage or am I required to do it?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

xiw posted:

With Boom Beach, am I supposed to be clicking on stuff to collect resources or does it accumulate by itself? Is loading the game regularly just a minor advantage or am I required to do it?

Your resource generating building can hold a certain amount before it stops producing so you really only have to load the game up in how ever many hours that takes.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

delfin posted:

Yep, I did a full powerdown-and-restart cycle and it didn't help. I'm painfully aware that game designers are waving the 4Gen aside these days -- too many good games are either off limits (Threes) for it or crash all the time on it (Calculords).

Now, if the iTunes summary read like Threes's:

I'd have hung my head mournfully and looked for something else to play.

But it doesn't:

They are aware if it. From the TA forum thread:

tanyaxshort posted:

Crashing: I'm really sorry about any crashes -- it's mostly to do with limited processing and memory on iTouches, iPad 2s, iPad 4s. I recommend closing all other apps and ideally also rebooting the device so it's fresh. We're looking at ways to better-optimise, but most of it is out of our hands, unfortunately, and we may disable iTouch downloads entirely.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="427614051"]
tanyaxshort posted:
Crashing: I'm really sorry about any crashes -- it's mostly to do with limited processing and memory on iTouches, iPad 2s, iPad 4s. I recommend closing all other apps and ideally also rebooting the device so it's fresh. We're looking at ways to better-optimise, but most of it is out of our hands, unfortunately, and we may disable iTouch downloads entirely.

And that's fine and not all that unexpected. At the rate I'm going I may pick up a used 5Gen sooner or later, which will be the impetus they need to introduce a 6th generation.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

It seems fishy to me that memory issues would cause crashing on the menu screen!

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
Any opinions on The World Ends With You for iOS? is it more worthwhile to track down the 3ds version; am I screaming in microphones regardless?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hub Dirt posted:

Any opinions on The World Ends With You for iOS? is it more worthwhile to track down the 3ds version; am I screaming in microphones regardless?

TWNWY doesn't have a 3DS version and yes, it's totally worth the asking price. It's pretty much the best example of square actually making a great port of a great game that is actually better than the original.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Boom beach - unskippable tutorial, pops up notifications without asking me. Nope. Fastest delete in a while.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hub Dirt posted:

gently caress yes. I beat both versions and both are great in their own rights. The iOS has better music and graphics. I like the partner mechanic better as well. Two different battles at the same time was too hectic, so I just mashed buttons in the DS version. Also there is no screaming in the Mic for the iOS version.

Edit. Because I'm a goon here are some before you play tips.

Only feed your partner hp increasing foods.

Don't waste the upgrade material on upgrading stats. The upgrade material is limited until after you beat the game and even then they are huge pain in the rear end to get. The stat upgrades suck compared to the other upgrades you can get.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2014

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Also, turn the game upside down sometimes and try playing like that. Always play the hardest levels first. If you get good at those, the first ones are the easiest. Make sure you don't let the iDevice creep too close to your face while you're playing, it can do that, it's not healthy or beneficial. With Wave Wave, like Super Hexagon, you really ought to know where the pointer is, and it's all about watching ahead to see what's coming, so get good at playing it like it's supposed to be played. The music is great, so crank it up. Try one of the different game modes, they're all fantastic and varied but satisfyingly sameyish and all the skills you learn can be traded into the other game modes: getting great at rotator helps you out in Galaxy, sprucing your repeater makes you mad cray at levels. You're gonna be for real in this game, I know it, and I won't even wish you good luck because you already have it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Who was talking about Wave Wave :confused:

It's an awesome game and I feel most goons would like it alot, so there's no problem bringing it up, but you just sort of went into talking about it like you weren't the one that brought it up...

Still, really great game that scratches taht Super Hexagon itch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="427614051"]
They are aware if it. From the TA forum thread:
(Considering dropping iTouch downloads).
This would really suck because I enjoy it on my iPod 5th Gen.
Freakin' Apple and their lack of specific device restrictions.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is there any particular reason for why Apple has the system it does? I mean, it probably saves effort for general app makers, but for games, it just seems to not make much sense. At the very least, it'd be easier for Apple to ask devs to state "iDevice X and up".

Apple's philosophy is that devs shouldn't be worrying about specific devices but writing for the device features. That way your apps will automatically be compatible with any devices that have the features you specify.

The only problem is, because Apple doesn't list RAM under a device's feature set (as it's not something they feel users need to be comparing) or even screen resolution as one that can be filtered on, game devs can't filter on a couple of the more restricted devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Zwilnik posted:

Apple's philosophy is that devs shouldn't be worrying about specific devices but writing for the device features. That way your apps will automatically be compatible with any devices that have the features you specify.

The only problem is, because Apple doesn't list RAM under a device's feature set (as it's not something they feel users need to be comparing) or even screen resolution as one that can be filtered on, game devs can't filter on a couple of the more restricted devices.

Except how they NEED to compare it to know if their device will have enough RAM to run apps. :derp:

If they're phobic about mentioning RAM, they could phrase it like "Requirements: iOS 7-capable device running iOS 6.x or 7.x." That would knock out iPod Touch 1-4G, iPhones through 3GS and the iPad 1G cleanly.

For a company whose App Store philosophy is generally "don't worry about specs, it just runs," it'd be nice to know at a glance whether an app will just run or not.

• Locked thread