Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

The event in the video appears to be the formation of the Ghaznavid Empire but it seems ludicrously over powered for a stack of 70k troops to appear at 980 AD anywhere, especially in he west of india where you're already under constant attacks from muslim nations.

That said, seeing it happen to Arumba and getting to watch him try to defeat it with his kingdom with 5k troops is certainly going to make this an extremely interesting series!

Video link for anyone who's interested here

Was Arumba the guy who was competent and had to spend a few hours revoking every title to fix that ck2 succession game from a few months ago, or was he the one that was really awful? The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember which was which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Any word on if Paradox is planning a hotfix? I was hoping to spend the weekend playing but I don't feel like starting a long game with so many bugs.

I'm surprised those bugs even slipped through testing. I mean no-one at paradox noticed the infinite tournaments? Still there will be a hot fix sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SeaTard posted:

Was Arumba the guy who was competent and had to spend a few hours revoking every title to fix that ck2 succession game from a few months ago, or was he the one that was really awful? The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember which was which.

He's a really skilled player, I've learnt a lot from watching his videos. There's a reasonable chance he'll be able to come back from the 70k invasion event. His plan is to expand in all directions as fast as he can and abuse the fact that they have to wait out the 5 year truce each time they attack him. If he can expand faster than they invade, perhaps he can wear down their event troops (which don't regenerate when they take losses). Will be interesting to watch.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Thrasophius posted:

I'm surprised those bugs even slipped through testing. I mean no-one at paradox noticed the infinite tournaments? Still there will be a hot fix sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Infinite tournament is bugging this game since forever. They fix it and then it pops back every few months.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

SeaTard posted:

I think the guy who revoked every title to hand them out to archbishops was Shenryyr possibly? Can't remember. Quill was the rubbish one probably. Arumba was in that game but neither of those was him; he's really really really good, although he misses a few dumb things but they're not really important unless that kind of thing annoys you (like me :v:)

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So as a Norse, if I convert my culture to Swedish, will I still be able to raid and travel rivers? Is that just dependant on religion?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, its only religion

Which reminds me; can i control the AI tendency to raid based on culture, stats and traits? I would like to enable to enable coastal raiding for muslims, but only if i can tweak so the AI is only actually likely to do it if they have Berber culture. This would reflect reality as much of the western mediterranean coast was basically depopulated as muslim pirates could strike them with impunity until around the 12th century when southern european states got strong enough to defend themselves and strike back. It would make it hell to play as mediterranean states though, especially if i can give the north african coastal counties decent ship building tech at the 867 start.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sucks no hotfix is out, really wanted to play the new game this weekend. No rush though guys.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
I added on to a mod Xiroth from the paradox forums released, it should give you an intrigue option to deal with religious unrest, death cults and temple corruption. The group I play with tested it for the past few hours and had no problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew79ral9t9wczr9/cure%20unrest.7z

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I was watching an AI game and they managed to reform the Norse religion with a gigantic Scandinavian Empire (England Scotland Norway Denmark Sweden and bits of Pomerania) but the norse culture still shattered into Swedish Danish and Norwegian. But the rulers were still Norse so it is slowly converting back. IT is funny however as half of russia is norse now. More outside of Scandinavia than in it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I know this has been asked, but how do I revert back to the earlier patch on Steam?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I know this has been asked, but how do I revert back to the earlier patch on Steam?

Right click on the game -> properties -> Beta Tab -> Click on the drop down or use the arrow keys if that doesn't work.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Stairmaster posted:

Right click on the game -> properties -> Beta Tab -> Click on the drop down or use the arrow keys if that doesn't work.

Thank you. I'm about thirty years away from my first full playthrough and would have been annoyed if I couldn't continue.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Higsian posted:

I just started up my first ironman after ROI and I'm not noticing a difference: it feels like 1-2 second save times still. It's quite possibly a pc config specific bug. I'm running on a 5 year old laptop so I'm not just powering through it either.

Turns out this is wrong. I thought I was playing ironman but I somehow wasn't, and the small slowdown I was getting was probably just all the background poo poo I had running (I was all set up for Empressive too with a basque-run hispania empire almost made). Playing an actual ironman game got me unplayably long save times like other people were saying, much longer than ironman games before ROI.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So uh, how can I get a marriage out of arranging betrothals now? Is there a bug currently regarding this, or am I just missing something? Since it never used to be this difficult to do - I'm trying to get my sister hooked up with some quick guy matrilineally, and arranged the marriage some years ago, but clicking on the button takes me to his liege, and there's no option for it there, or on either or the betrothed in question. I just want smart family members, is that too much to ask? :(

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not getting any messages from his liege asking for the marriage to go ahead, either.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Are you at war with the liege? I had a similar thing happen when that was the case for me. Otherwise betrothals are working fine as far as I can tell.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nope, I've been at peace the whole game. Us being Buddhist and them being Hindu plus a different caste (I believe?) won't have any effect on whether it'll be able to go ahead, right?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Where in the Wiki does it tell you what culture give you what unique troops and which troops are the best?

Also, how do I make sure I don't build a poo poo retinue?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jenner posted:

Where in the Wiki does it tell you what culture give you what unique troops and which troops are the best?

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Retinues#Cultural_Retinues

I usually stack my retinues with the cultural retinue if it's good or calvary/shock if it's bad. Later on when I get big I start making it half cultural/half skirmish to cut down siege times. Someone probably has the optimal setup, but this works for me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jenner posted:

Horse Archers/Cataphracts/Housecarls are traditionally best, though War Elephants may beat them out now. Avoid defensive light cavalry or light infantry, otherwise, use your cultural retinue or shock retinues.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
English and Welsh longbow man are also very strong, and having a lot of them helps speed up sieges as well. Unlike the other "best" retinues, it's not a great idea to have your armies be 100% longbow man.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Scottish Schilltron pikemen are also strong. Have fun hurting them in skirmish and God help you if they enter melee. At least you can escape them in pursue phase easily.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

So uh, how can I get a marriage out of arranging betrothals now? Is there a bug currently regarding this, or am I just missing something? Since it never used to be this difficult to do - I'm trying to get my sister hooked up with some quick guy matrilineally, and arranged the marriage some years ago, but clicking on the button takes me to his liege, and there's no option for it there, or on either or the betrothed in question. I just want smart family members, is that too much to ask? :(

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not getting any messages from his liege asking for the marriage to go ahead, either.

Is it that the little heart symbol with "Bethrothed can marry" never shows up? I had to deal with that problem a little bit ago.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pester posted:

Is it that the little heart symbol with "Bethrothed can marry" never shows up? I had to deal with that problem a little bit ago.

Actually no, that does come up - it's just that whenever a character in my family other than myself is able to marry and gets the "betrothed can marry" notification, I can't actually do anything about it, other than breaking the betrothal.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Major Isoor posted:

Actually no, that does come up - it's just that whenever a character in my family other than myself is able to marry and gets the "betrothed can marry" notification, I can't actually do anything about it, other than breaking the betrothal.

It's the new diplomatic distance thingy loving it up. I betrothed my sister to some king, but when they where to marry he had moved his court and we couldn't have any diplomatic interactions at all.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
50 years is too long of a wait before you can put up a new antipope since the last one was deposed.

Also, how is it that NPC's seem to have no problem marrying people of the opposite religion, but every time I try it, they just say "must not marry an infidel!". I had an adventurer show up when I was on an early crusade. I ignored it until the crusade was over, when I realized he had 40 thousand troops. I just decided to let him have the duchy. X years later, there was another crusade in Andalusia, and his doomstack won him the highest contribution so he became the ruler of that place. His successor ended up marrying a Yazidi woman, since that heresy had triumphed over Sunni Islam.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

It's the new diplomatic distance thingy loving it up. I betrothed my sister to some king, but when they where to marry he had moved his court and we couldn't have any diplomatic interactions at all.

Ah, drat OK that could be it.

In other news, I've found a bug that's crashed the game for me twice - whenever I click on the red skull on my murdered brother's profile(?) - since that takes me to his killer, right? - it just crashes out. It can't be an issue where it's trying to bring up the killer but they're unknown to me or anything, since it was made public and I murdered the lowly mayor who did the deed as retribution, but now whenever I click on the skull it just crashes the game then and there. Has this happened for anyone else? (sorry if this has already been reported)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of modding, I was wondering if it's possible to make it so Zoroastrians use Muslim CoA's rather than the Christian ones? I want to do a Zoro play through again, but the Christian CoAs are so ugly and out of place.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh? They have unique ones, all hexagonal and stuff. Or is that Old Gods only or something?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Koramei posted:

Huh? They have unique ones, all hexagonal and stuff. Or is that Old Gods only or something?

I guess I meant the flags. They use the design on Muslim CoA but the flag is the ugly Christian one.

Edit: gently caress me that was simple. Just flip has_coa_on_barony_only = yes to no in common/religions And with some other ui fiddling you can use the Muslim coa's. It's not accurate but it looks a big sight better than the Christian ones.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 29, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So, I hosed up and managed to land my dynasty in the third caste. Is there anyway to get my future descendants to end up in a higher caste? I have no idea how that gets passed down.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Flame112 posted:

So, I hosed up and managed to land my dynasty in the third caste. Is there anyway to get my future descendants to end up in a higher caste? I have no idea how that gets passed down.

Children inherit the lowest caste from their parents, so you can't get back up that way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I still can't believe they haven't fixed that ridiculous bug where attached armies count toward the stack total even if you aren't at war with the country that controls the attached army.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Someone's finally made a mod for separate Chinese Portraits :swoon:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Raserys posted:

Someone's finally made a mod for separate Chinese Portraits :swoon:

Doesn't make a ton of sense as a standalone mod but drat those look pretty good.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does losing prestige matter that much when marrying my heir off to someone with good traits but of a lower rank?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you're super low and taking a big hit while your vassals hate you it could mean a couple of points of opinion lost, but unless you're in dire straights it rarely makes much of a difference. If you're really concerned about it, most of the time the prestige you can get from the wedding counteracts what you would have lost.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I don't even know if this is a bug or not, but it seems like I'm perma-hostile to all of my neighbors. All of their armies show up as red no matter what they are doing. I'm definitely not at war with them. I just converted from Jain to Hindu, but everyone was hostile both before and after that so I don't think it's a religion thing.

Also I figured out how to change my caste. You just pay like 700 gold in the intrigue menu. I didn't have the option before I converted from Jain to Hindu, though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Flame112 posted:

Also I figured out how to change my caste. You just pay like 700 gold in the intrigue menu. I didn't have the option before I converted from Jain to Hindu, though.

That's because caste doesn't matter for the Jain. Only Hindus care about what your caste is, and feudal lords should always be in the kshatriya caste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SeaTard posted:

That's because caste doesn't matter for the Jain. Only Hindus care about what your caste is, and feudal lords should always be in the kshatriya caste.

Hmm, can Buddhists change caste, if they drop to the artisan caste? Since both my sons are in the third tier, and I don't want to have to kill them so neither inherits and ruins things in that department.. :ohdear:

• Locked thread