Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zoness posted:

Storm did way better at Pro Tour Born of the Gods than it did at Richmond. Richmond featured a lot of Pod at the top.
More specifically look at the names of the people storming at PT BNG compared to Richmond. I think this is definitely one of those 'it was the pilot not necessarily the deck' things that crops up in magic. Pod(both versions) is arguably the best deck in Modern even pre-DRS banning but I've not heard of too many people that could successful play it for a long tournament that had just picked it up recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
While the Beta Client isn't the best for showing on-screen, I LOVE how they can pull up good replays to show between live matches. That kind of instant (and sped-up replays) access means you never miss a good match and they don't have to play old deck techs all day. It already paid off huge with that Cube replay of "Living End blow-out gets blown out by Rude Awakening blow-out," and of course everything is coupled with my two favorites LSV and Marshal on commentary. Randy's really great too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

It already paid off huge with that Cube replay of "Living End blow-out gets blown out by Rude Awakening blow-out," and of course everything is coupled with my two favorites LSV and Marshal on commentary. Randy's really great too.

I've seen Marshall catch a lot of flak but I think he does a good job of being the viewer proxy - hopefully he gets as good as Brian David-Marshall at that role.

Actually now I'm not sure which Marshall you're talking about :psyduck:.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

priestofsyrinx2112 posted:

Executive Producer of Magic Online Mike Turian decided the way to rectify this mistake was for players to conceed match, reshuffle and start fresh, when the opponent had a killer opening hand & was on the play.

It's fairly embarrassing. I sort of get why they haven't heavily promoted the MOCS this year.
This is a pathetic response from WotC.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

This is a pathetic response from WotC.

Isn't that just WotC in general when it comes to MTGO?

Edit: I knew multiple Xenagoes would be a problem!

He called the Planeswalker "God of Revels" :cmon:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't that just WotC in general when it comes to MTGO?
Sadly yes. I like the fact that Cockatrice would allow them to redraw their actual 7, shuffle the deck, and then restart the game but MTGO doesn't have that ability from the developer themselves.

Jund Assault Loam! Oh my god if this does well...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Zoness posted:

I've seen Marshall catch a lot of flak but I think he does a good job of being the viewer proxy - hopefully he gets as good as Brian David-Marshall at that role.

Actually now I'm not sure which Marshall you're talking about :psyduck:.
I meant LR Marshall Sutcliffe, misspelled his name on accident. I'm not really a big BDM fan.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I wonder how many Wizards higher-ups have ever worked at a software company or video game design studio. My guess is none.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

priestofsyrinx2112 posted:

Executive Producer of Magic Online Mike Turian decided the way to rectify this mistake was for players to conceed match, reshuffle and start fresh, when the opponent had a killer opening hand & was on the play.

It's fairly embarrassing. I sort of get why they haven't heavily promoted the MOCS this year.

Who won that match?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zoness posted:

Storm did way better at Pro Tour Born of the Gods than it did at Richmond. Richmond featured a lot of Pod at the top.

Whenever the Modern season started. They both tripled overnight according to the TCG tracker.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Is a print version of the Magic 2014 Rulebook (http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/resources/rules/EN_MTGM14_PrintedRulebook_LR.pdf) included in any Magic products? The Deckbuilder's Toolkit includes a short informational poster, but this rulebook covers a lot more and it would be a useful teaching tool. I know I can print it out myself, but it wouldn't look as nice.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kabanaw posted:

Even Thundermaw barely dropped below 10 dollars and it sees a tiny amount of play in Modern. Voice sees consistent play in one of the most popular decks in the format.

$5-$7 from Oct 2013 through Jan 2014.

Pod did just fine before Voice, it's not integral to the strategy. The card is not format warping. The format is becoming such that Anger of the Gods is playable. Tarmogoyf and Path to Exile are legal.

And since your argument keeps hinging on the price being supported by being in one of the best Modern decks, I'd like to point out that June through August is Modern PTQ season this year, with all the major Modern GPs in the US done by then, aligning quite well with my projection for the October price crash. This goes for all mildly playable Modern rares from RTR block.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kabanaw posted:

I wonder how many Wizards higher-ups have ever worked at a software company or video game design studio. My guess is none.

I heard it said that is part of the mtgo problem. You get the cycle of the former pro players and then they recruit current pro players and while they are (hopefully) great at magic things the technical side could use some fresh outside blood. Which from the sounds of it they don't want to pay for.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'd like any of the people who think Voice is going to drop in price to respond to this. What is holding the price of Voice up if it isn't Pod? What standard deck or circumstances are currently making it worth $25, but will change post rotation? Do you think people are still opening Dragon's Maze in a quantity sufficient to keep adding new voices to the supply that will change after rotation?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ People that bought VoR for $40+ per card do not want to sell while its still Standard playable. We have two more sets to go that could push GW into solidly tier 1, instead of it hovering as like this Tier 1.5-2 deck. If GW Ajani is the Planeswalker in JOU, unless the deck just doesn't work for some other reason we should see GW back on top. When it rotates it will fall but I personally believe it'll stay around $10-20ish.

:lol: LSV being a smart rear end. "Nah I play pod perfectly every time."

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 29, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Korak posted:

^^^ People that bought VoR for $40+ per card do not want to sell while its still Standard playable. We have two more sets to go that could push GW into solidly tier 1, instead of it hovering as like this Tier 1.5-2 deck. If GW Ajani is the Planeswalker in JOU, unless the deck just doesn't work for some other reason we should see GW back on top. When it rotates it will fall but I personally believe it'll stay around $10-20ish.

:lol: LSV being a smart rear end. "Nah I play pod perfectly every time."

But what are people playing standard for? No one wants to drop $100 on a playset of a card they can play only at fnm that's ALSO going to rotate soon.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ We haven't even got to the last expansion in this set nor seen m15 outside of Waste Not, its not near rotation at all.

Well that was kind of weird. They're joking about how one of the guys isn't listening to the broadcast on his headphones while playing on camera and he randomly does a smirk at that exact moment. They can't actually be that bad to not check his headphones could they?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Marshall Sutcliffe is awesome. His voice is not grating and easy to listen to, and he is pretty knowledgeable about the game. Brian David Marshall is annoying as gently caress.

Too bad LSV can't make ten or twenty clones of himself. That would be ideal IMO

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
All these technical difficulties for something that should have been tested. For shame.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
"Why does everybody playing in the MOCS look so tired and sad," I think to myself as a player pulls out a 2 liter of coke and takes a swig.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How can anyone not like BDM?

BDM is both the most knowledgeable about the players and past events, and so full of energy for the game and for life in general.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

I'd like any of the people who think Voice is going to drop in price to respond to this. What is holding the price of Voice up if it isn't Pod? What standard deck or circumstances are currently making it worth $25, but will change post rotation? Do you think people are still opening Dragon's Maze in a quantity sufficient to keep adding new voices to the supply that will change after rotation?

Why is Kalonian Hydra still 15 dollars? Because prices, especially in standard season, are very sticky. If you are dead set on playing GW this year, Voice is a card you absolutely need 4-of, and the only card you can't replace because the next best two-drops is Scooze, then a huge void of playability. Precinct Captain, Kalonian Tusker, Fencing Ace, Fleeceman Lion? They are just not as useful. Voice just never hit that huge drop like, say, Ashiok, which spiked huge and then fell to 10 and will probably go lower if the next block doesn't find a home for him.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 29, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

GoutPatrol posted:

Why is Kalonian Hydra still 15 dollars? Because prices, especially in standard season, are very sticky. If you are dead set on playing GW this year, Voice is a card you absolutely need 4-of, and the only card you can't replace because the next best two-drops is Scooze, then a huge void of playability. Precinct Captain, Kalonian Tusker, Fencing Ace, Fleeceman Lion? They are just not as useful. Voice just never hit that huge drop like, say, Ashiok, which spiked huge and then fell to 10 and will probably go lower if the next block doesn't find a home for him.

The second-best 2-drop in GW is Selesnya Charm! :eng101:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I get now why you guys always love it when you get that playset of Goyfs or other Modern Staple.

Because it feels so good to have a grip of Aether Vials. :3:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I get now why you guys always love it when you get that playset of Goyfs or other Modern Staple.

Now just imagine the feeling when you get your playsets of JTMS, Imperial Recruiter, Force of Will and 16 Blue Duals+16 Blue Fetches. Then the world truly is your oyster. But then the only thing holding you back is the power for vintage...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It feels really good to resolve burning earth followed by erebos against UWx control.

Edit: even better when your opponent is wearing a fedora and a smugface.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

Nice. Now get a playset of both arts so you can play with whichever strikes your fancy. Maybe use one for legacy and the other for modern.

This is literally what I'm doing so I can have two Jund decks face each other all with alternate art so I can make a hurf durf duel deck and it's really dumb. They really need to come out with alternate art abrupt decays though

e: correct. I have a 2013 legacy duel deck too. It's really dumb but it's what happens when I have nothing else I really want to trade for but I like trading so... Shardless BUG vs. RUG or Stoneblade vs. BUG/RUG. It's not as impressive because there aren't any alternate arts for old cards. Really it only works with Jund vs. Jund and it all started because I wanted to have 2 sets of goyfs and bobs, so I can play with whichever art suited my fancy. That's why I recommended Bleck do the same. :) I think the only thing that's similar is UWR vs. UWR, as the only card that has only one art would be the snapcaster.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 29, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

Nice. Now get a playset of both arts so you can play with whichever strikes your fancy. Maybe use one for legacy and the other for modern.

This is literally what I'm doing so I can have two Jund decks face each other all with alternate art so I can make a hurf durf duel deck and it's really dumb. They really need to come out with alternate art abrupt decays though

You're making a "2013 Modern Metagame" duel deck?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
What's your Legacy duel deck matchup?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Gyshall posted:

Marshall Sutcliffe is awesome. His voice is not grating and easy to listen to, and he is pretty knowledgeable about the game. Brian David Marshall is annoying as gently caress.

Too bad LSV can't make ten or twenty clones of himself. That would be ideal IMO

Fun story from GP Cincinnati:

On day 2 they have the whole "no spectators" rule in the playing area, and we were doing a great job enforcing it. So great, in fact, that Marshall Sutcliffe had to explain to 3 judges that he was part of the tournament staff. Watching a judge shoo LSV out of the tournament area was equally amusing.

Also, I was on deck checks, and after finishing our beginning of round check, I was asked to go find a table to do a mid-round check. After searching around for 5 minutes, I rush over to a table to swoop their decks. One of the players gives me an odd look, which I finally figured out when I looked at the match slip: It was Bertoncini. I wonder just what percentage of tournaments he gets checked at.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Some friends of mine and I gather about once a month for a game night; recently the notion of playing multiplayer Magic has gained some traction. One of my buddies let me borrow one of his decks, explained to me that we were playing Modern format, and we went to town.

Fuckers dragged me back in.

Let me explain; I started playing Magic right around the introduction of the Unlimited Edition; the last cards I bought were some Alliances boosters back in '96. Then I decided that since I was in college I needed money for booze, and sold all my cards. This makes me sad now when I realize what some of those cards would be worth today (I owned six of the 'Power Nine'), but alas. That's not my point.

My point is that now I own cards again. Relatively recent ones, granted. I'm still getting 'settled back in,' so to speak, and I'm trying to get a handle on the way the game has changed - not so much in the rules (I have manuals for that!) but the meta.

I find myself falling into the old generalizations for the colors - red is for blowing poo poo up, white is for soldiers and healing and protection, black is for undead and draining poo poo, green is for fuckloads of stompy critters, and blue is for counters and 'thinking sideways' cards that can gently caress up everyone's strategy if you're creative with them (I always played blue). Am I off-base? What sort of strategies are utterly hosed now that I once would have counted on to win the day? What sort of strategies will I have never even imagined that are more common now?

In essence, I'm looking for a Metagame Primer that I can use to kick around some ideas. I'm not interested in competitive play or anything - I just want to hang with my friends and play some cards - and I'm not interested in spending a ton of money, I just want to get a handle on how the metagame has changed in the last, you know, couple of decades so that I'll know if I'm building a deck that is doomed to ignominious failure because the strategy is outmoded.

...which is kind of a big ask, I know. Still, any help'd be appreciated!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mtgtop8.com

Pick your format at the top and see a list on the side of the most popular decks. Click on one to see how it's done in recent tournaments with decklists and everything

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's your Legacy duel deck matchup?
Breakfast Burrito vs Lands.dec.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

In essence, I'm looking for a Metagame Primer that I can use to kick around some ideas. I'm not interested in competitive play or anything - I just want to hang with my friends and play some cards - and I'm not interested in spending a ton of money, I just want to get a handle on how the metagame has changed in the last, you know, couple of decades so that I'll know if I'm building a deck that is doomed to ignominious failure because the strategy is outmoded.

I'm coming from a similar situation and had a lot of trouble with guilds and shards and all of these terms (esper, bant, naya, etc.). I don't know if this particular wiki is good, but it had a write-up on some of the lingo: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Multicolored. Something else that helped me was taking the plunge and dumping the ten bucks into MTGO. Games are constant and don't require as much of a time investment, so you can see how a lot of people are using the colors together and doing things like recursion nowadays. Many may credibly argue against MTGO, though.

Things like scrying were a new concept for me, but made sense pretty quickly. I imagine you'll read a new card and go, "Oh, cool" and then move on well enough. I remember playing in the mid-90s by just buying packs and putting a deck together, but buying singles is apparently the way to go if you're looking to plan a deck and then execute it. To that end, the link posted below me or something like http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard might be helpful. Further, http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx will give you images of the cards by set, color or keyword, and include any relevant rulings.

Your generalizations are pretty much how I think about the colors, but I'm still very new. Mill decks never became a workable thing, interrupts don't exist anymore, mana burn went away, and people talk about card advantage a lot, though I can't recall if that was always a buzzword or not. Releases are planned more regularly; there's a rotating set of standard cards that impacts what types of decks people play and how prices fare. All of this is pretty standard-centric on my part, though.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Went to my first FNM ever last night, after only playing casual back in middle school.

Went 3-2 in matches, went 8-6 on games.
Pretty happy, having barely playing the game in 15 years - although I think a lot of my wins have to do with playing a really fast B aggro in a room full of durdly control/combo decks.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Nekusar, the Mindrazer + Tainted Strike

Do these two interact the way I think they do? Cast Tainted Strike on Nekusar before a draw phase, and the damage he deals to people drawing cards would be in poison counters, correct?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deckit posted:

Nekusar, the Mindrazer + Tainted Strike

Do these two interact the way I think they do? Cast Tainted Strike on Nekusar before a draw phase, and the damage he deals to people drawing cards would be in poison counters, correct?

Yeah, pretty much, you get to ping them for 2 poison.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Awesome. The girlfriend and I are going into a two headed giant EDH tournament today. We both have ways to pump that up, like Teferi's Puzzle Box This is gonna be fun, losing friends. :unsmigghh:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's the "best" preconstructed EDH deck? Figured I'll grab one and throw some of my own stuff in there to start with just so I can play with some friends. Don't say mind seize because they're impossible to find and people want $50 thanks to TNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like the Bird Wizard one because it comes with a Bird Wizard.

• Locked thread