Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Has anyone else had the worst goddamn lag in the duty finder since the patch? I haven't had a dungeon go smoothly since it hit. People getting hit by aoes after they've moved 10 yards away, teleporting around like mad, skills taking upwards of 10 seconds to go off. My dragoon and white mage are both unplayable because of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

WraithMind posted:

Has anyone else had the worst goddamn lag in the duty finder since the patch? I haven't had a dungeon go smoothly since it hit. People getting hit by aoes after they've moved 10 yards away, teleporting around like mad, skills taking upwards of 10 seconds to go off. My dragoon and white mage are both unplayable because of this poo poo.

It's pretty ugly, yeah. It's not affecting me so much, but I'm seeing it happen to a lot of people. I can only imagine how awful Aurum Vale is now.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

seannykun posted:

Comes with the territory when everyone who plays dragoon does it poorly.

On the upside, so long as you don't suck you'll likely earn a shitload of commendations for being the best Dragoon they've seen in a while!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I do wonder if it's a backbone thing more than SE, as I was having problems until I turned on Battleping and now it works like a dream

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WraithMind posted:

Bosses should not ignore five tomahawks and the tank dancing underneath their chin. Just sayin'.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For all your out of game Hildebrand watching needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbEan62z8RA

Also

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-03-27-final-fantasy-producer-subscriptions-are-still-good-for-mmos

A YoshiP subscription model interview. 500,000 Daily active users with 1.8 Million nebulous "registered" users.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 29, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The first time I did Halatali HM we had a dragoon, a bard, and a paladin. I just did it a second time wth a monk and a warrior and was immensely disappointed when I found out the group you fight at the end isn't actually a mirror of your own party.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Meldonox posted:

It's pretty ugly, yeah. It's not affecting me so much, but I'm seeing it happen to a lot of people. I can only imagine how awful Aurum Vale is now.

Diablos is unplayable right now - I will cast Heal and it will go off, MP will be removed, but the heal never hits. Just, black hole. Didn't see that in the patch notes :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This stupid dance is so infectious.

Well, to most, anyway.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What questline gets you that dance? I can't seem to find it. :(

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
If the instance server lag is problematic right now, imagine how bad it will be next week when the PS4 beta starts on live servers. It's also open to everyone with a PSN account (and free). :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PunkBoy posted:

What questline gets you that dance? I can't seem to find it. :(

If you want to be a Manderville man, you must learn it from a Manderville man.

Hildibrand

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

If you want to be a Manderville man, you must learn it from a Manderville man.

Hildibrand

Well drat, as if I didn't have enough of a reason to start doing that questline ASAP.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

talking to the people in the fate grps is telling me that most of them havent done garuda ex or coil beyond t1/2
This is probably their only means of getting an i100 weapon.

Can't you just buy an i100 weapon for 1300 soldiery tomes? That sounds like less of a grind for better (near-term) reward.

vvv Whoops, didn't realize they'd locked both parts of that weapon behind Coil 2. Huh.

Winter Stormer fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 29, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Winter Stormer posted:

Can't you just buy an i100 weapon for 1300 soldiery tomes? That sounds like less of a grind for better (near-term) reward.

It also requires a drop that is, presumably, from Coil (the Unknown Allagan Tomestone).

msfd
Apr 10, 2007

I played this game for a while, enjoyed it a hell of a lot, but what drove me out was the way AOEs work bizarrely and are absurdly difficult to avoid in a smart way - as in once you see an AOE effect area, you have to already be running and you're still probably hosed anyway.
Was that just me being a stupid newbie? It struck me as odd that you'd have to run out of a damage area before the drat attack was even made, and still you'd get hit miles off the blast. Do others find this bothersome? Am I just dumb? I'd really like to come back, but man, that drove me nuts.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

The walrus I am posted:

I played this game for a while, enjoyed it a hell of a lot, but what drove me out was the way AOEs work bizarrely and are absurdly difficult to avoid in a smart way - as in once you see an AOE effect area, you have to already be running and you're still probably hosed anyway.
Was that just me being a stupid newbie? It struck me as odd that you'd have to run out of a damage area before the drat attack was even made, and still you'd get hit miles off the blast. Do others find this bothersome? Am I just dumb? I'd really like to come back, but man, that drove me nuts.

lovely connection. I don't have any issues avoiding aoe or anything. A lot of people with that problem use battleping or wtfast.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

seannykun posted:

lovely connection. I don't have any issues avoiding aoe or anything. A lot of people with that problem use battleping or wtfast.

It's either this or the fact that you're not dodging the animation, you're dodging the cast completion. If there is an AOE circle/cone it is being cast. The moment that cast finishes, if you're still in the circle or cone, you're going to get hit regardless of if the animation would hit you or not.

msfd
Apr 10, 2007

I'm quite sure I'm dodging the correct thing. Perhaps I will try working on the ping (geez, it's 2014, why is that a problem anymore jesus).

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

Speaking of, that seems like the shadiest loving thing. I guess you don't have a choice though, other programs won't help you with your ping in Silent Hill 2, Assassin's Creed, Deux Ex, or Skyrim.

Fake edit - I like the pyramid scheme too.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Iron Tusk posted:

Also

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-03-27-final-fantasy-producer-subscriptions-are-still-good-for-mmos

A YoshiP subscription model interview. 500,000 Daily active users with 1.8 Million nebulous "registered" users.

When I realized that was the same fucker I oiled up back at those hot springs so many levels ago I flipped. Never thought I'd see him again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:toot:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress Square and their stupid, laggy as gently caress servers.

Edit: rest was mad at games, rip

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 29, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Man, I heard Leviathan(Hard) was easy, but I wasn't expecting to one-shot it. Music was hilarious/great though and I'm sure Extreme mode will be legitimately challenging.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
When there's a new patch there's gotta be a poo poo ton of people overloading the servers to be the 'first'. I'm just hoping they can do something to make the instance servers a little more responsive. Haven't had as much issues in the Excalibur server.

Ran Copper( bomb hell :v: ) for the first time along with Hauke Hard last night with one vet and mostly new to the dungeons. We're all this music rocks at Copperbell til we get to that first boss and start getting nuked. After a couple wipes it wasn't really as fun. We finally managed to do it after a couple tries and the rest of it wasn't nearly as irritating but still left a bitter taste in our mouth. Hauke was a hell of a lot more interesting with its fights and mechanics. Some of which are hell for melee it seems at first.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Okay, my character is now unloading boxes and finding lost armor scales.

Alphinaud I'm going to summon Leviathan myself because you keep making me do dumb busywork.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Boten Anna posted:

I do wonder if it's a backbone thing more than SE, as I was having problems until I turned on Battleping and now it works like a dream

When I was experiencing it the other night, I checked the website internetpulse and found that there was package loss (reported with a red square) between Cogent and Level 3. Also packet loss between Verizon and Level 3, so it is most certainly a backbone issue.

If your program knows a way around that, then you'll be in the clear, but as long as it doesn't, you'll still eat lag. I know Pretzel Smuggler was still getting hit with it, and my packet loss was so bad I had cures being eaten by the loss. It was infuriating watching 3 of 4 simultaneous cure 3s never going off.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Where is this fight so I can do it and listen to this badass music while I do so?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Not my screenshot.

e: Related, I am enjoying playing dressup and sending my dudes out on missions way too much. Even if it's just once a day. Just sending them out on the long 18h missions, they're level 9 already. Made one a MRD and one an ACN. I hope they get jobs.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 29, 2014

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Xenoletum posted:

When I was experiencing it the other night, I checked the website internetpulse and found that there was package loss (reported with a red square) between Cogent and Level 3. Also packet loss between Verizon and Level 3, so it is most certainly a backbone issue.

If your program knows a way around that, then you'll be in the clear, but as long as it doesn't, you'll still eat lag. I know Pretzel Smuggler was still getting hit with it, and my packet loss was so bad I had cures being eaten by the loss. It was infuriating watching 3 of 4 simultaneous cure 3s never going off.

What you describe is in fact the long-standing issue. Most people are forced to go through Level3's servers to get through to the Primal datacenter, and there has been a number of ongoing disputes regarding peering between Cogent, Level3, Comcast, and other issues. Throughput capacity is not being increased because of this, and it's been causing a chokepoint because traffic is constantly increasing.

Bear in mind that nobody involved is really in the right, either - while Comcast's extortionary money grab (at least in terms of standard industry practices) is clearly a large part of the issue, the backbones have not been endearing themselves to anybody with their operational model - by refusing to route around the problem network(s) for traffic that does not terminate there (even at the cost of latency and higher load on other areas) they're as much culpable for the current situation.

And yes, it's not really that simple and this reflects my own biases towards the situation.

The short version is that WTFast and Battleping are likely to help. It's not a guarantee, and if your connection is already good there's only so much better it can make it, but even though the programs themselves seem shady as gently caress, they are demonstrably effective.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think the instance lag can be blamed on ISPs this time. I have no lag in the world. Atma FATE grinding with like twenty other people running around works fine, no lag. Try a low-level dungeon roulette, though, and holy crap: people teleporting around everywhere, attacks missing targets that appear to be right next to me, AOEs becoming undodgeable. And this was in Copperbell normal! I'd hate to try the new high level content like that.

Return back to the world, and everything works normally again. It's just instances that have horrible lag issues (at least for me). I have no idea if it's because 2.2 broke something or just because the servers are just overloaded due to the recent 2.2 release.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Tsurupettan posted:

Not my screenshot.

e: Related, I am enjoying playing dressup and sending my dudes out on missions way too much. Even if it's just once a day. Just sending them out on the long 18h missions, they're level 9 already. Made one a MRD and one an ACN. I hope they get jobs.

Even the retainers of <SWOLE> can't hold themselves back. :allears:

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
A bit late to the discussion, but my problem with the Atma weapon stuff isn't that it's grindy, it's that the FATE part at least is RNG reliant. I haven't been online constantly since the patch hit, but I've put in at least a couple hours a day on FATEs, with a Zenith and with inventory room and having done the quest to open them, and have not seen a single atma drop. If it was just grind with a visible progression it would suck but at least I'd know my time was worth something. As it is I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the time I'm wasting with absolutely nothing to show for it but seals that I still don't have a use for because I don't craft. At least I can make some money off the crafters with them I guess.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
A group on Ultros has cleared Turn 7, and in doing so picked up dragoon boots, healer gloves, an Unidentified Allagan Tomestone, and an Oil of Time.

So there's confirmation for people looking at new weapons: if you want the ones from Rowena you need to be doing coil 2 to get the material for them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The unidentified tomestome and oil of time are confirmed to drop from turn 7. Get ready to grind atmas or leviathan ex if you dont have a group that can at least beat turn 5, I guess.

E:f; b drat my slow phone typing

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Orfeo posted:

Even the retainers of <SWOLE> can't hold themselves back. :allears:

Some poor sap is going to come home and freak out seeing that the roof is gone.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Pretty mad about the 4-man instance lag going on right now on Excalibur. Can farm 8-mans like Levi EX just fine, but 4-man is just a slideshow. And I need to cap Soldiery, damnit!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

Also

The Byregot's Blessing part actually made me laugh out loud.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Died 4 times tanking Halitali normal last night because the healers cures weren't landing on me despite his MP dropping and his claim that he was spamming me with Cure. Instance servers are hosed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, last night I was having to mash every button until I got full confirmation of a hit with damage showing up, because if I didn't I was liable to watch an animation that apparently didn't happen and gently caress up my combo. It was bad.

• Locked thread