Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I just love how tumblr fans bitched about Fuller "fridging" Katz and thats exactly what Hannibal did before slicing her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh my god that was so painful to watch. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and then it loving happened. :(

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I liked that for that one brief moment, even if it was feigned, Hannibal flips.

"gently caress SAKE, JACK. HE HAS A GUN"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
When the orderly kicked the bucket out from under Hannibal I was like OH poo poo NO.

And then I had to remind myself that Hannibal was the bad guy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

I just love how tumblr fans bitched about Fuller "fridging" Katz and thats exactly what Hannibal did before slicing her up.

Yeah I want that fridge which turned a human body into complete ice in under a night.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Hannibal telling him that life is precious was pretty interesting. I can almost imagine that he believes that, which makes what he does even more frightening.

I also like how Hannibal surely must have noticed the guy jumping in the pool and taking a lap with him, but instead of getting out he flips around for another lap like it's no big deal.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

blablablabla posted:

Yeah I want that fridge which turned a human body into complete ice in under a night.

Have you not heard of liquid nitrogen? This was just posted earlier in the thread.

Pellisworth posted:

To get a little :science: about this: when you freeze tissues, ice crystals form and break up the cells which makes a lot of things pretty mushy after being frozen. If you wanted to actually preserve a biological sample, you would cryopreserve it in liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen will flash-freeze the sample faster than ice crystals can form, so the individual cells don't get blendered.

He didn't just stick her in a freezer, he flash froze her with liquid nitrogen. That's why he was able to kill her, freeze her, cut her into slices, and put her on display in a matter of a few hours.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Hannibal telling him that life is precious was pretty interesting. I can almost imagine that he believes that, which makes what he does even more frightening.

I also like how Hannibal surely must have noticed the guy jumping in the pool and taking a lap with him, but instead of getting out he flips around for another lap like it's no big deal.

I think he genuinely believes it. "Life is precious" just doesn't mean the same thing to him as it does to us.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Preview talk : Is that Hannibal loving Alana? That's so out of the blue, how the hell would that ever happen? :psyduck:

And urgh Katz :( I miss her already.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Noirex posted:

Preview talk : Is that Hannibal loving Alana? That's so out of the blue, how the hell would that ever happen? :psyduck:

And urgh Katz :( I miss her already.

Yeah it is. I think it's because

Hannibal knows Will just tried to kill him, so Hannibal decided to hit Will where it will hurt the most.

Plus, after being put in such a vulnerable position, Hannibal will want to do something to prove that he is superior to Will.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
The Katz scene reminds me of a scene in The Cell (2000), which is actually a compliment because I still have vivid memories of that scene many years later (image blocked just in case someone doesn't want to see a horse flayed similar to Beverly).

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Shadoer posted:

Yeah it is. I think it's because

Hannibal knows Will just tried to kill him, so Hannibal decided to hit Will where it will hurt the most.

Plus, after being put in such a vulnerable position, Hannibal will want to do something to prove that he is superior to Will.

I know why he would do it, I just can't imagine her ever falling for that. It's just such a weird coupling.

Anyway, Hettienne Park rocks

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

testifeye posted:

The Katz scene reminds me of a scene in The Cell (2000), which is actually a compliment because I still have vivid memories of that scene many years later (image blocked just in case someone doesn't want to see a horse flayed similar to Beverly).

Well Natali will be directing an episode later this season confirmed and Fuller has said that it was inspired by the human body exhibits they had going around a few years ago. Idk if they were inspired by the cell or vice versa though.

Noirex posted:

I know why he would do it, I just can't imagine her ever falling for that. It's just such a weird coupling.

Anyway, Hettienne Park rocks

PRetty sure there was a scene in S1 where Hannibal and Alana hinted at some past history that had potential sexual tension. Something along the lines of "Why didn't we ever hook up." I think it was the ep he had her and Abigail over for dinner.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Noirex posted:

Eh they are good friends and the realization that Will is trying to kill Hannibal while also feeling guilt for continuing to try and protect Will would probably be enough for Alana to fall into Hannibal's arms... especially if Hannibal is pushing for it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The saw would just shatter the body if it was liquid nitrogen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Izzard killing it this episode.

Just want to secound this. He just makes Gideon seem like he enjoys loving with people so much, even when he may or may not know exactly whats going on.
I find it seem to add a lot of really enjoyable dark humor to the show.

From Allan's conversation with Gideon though he did seem to make it pretty clear that this would be the first -if just by proxy- murder that he thought Will was committing, so in someways he cleared Wills name to Allan. Although even if she picked up on that and believed it, it probably doesn't matter now, even if Will is freed, I think what Will just did would of probably permanently damaged Allan and Will's relationship, even just at its current friendship level. He straight up, set up a revenge killing. I can imagine that could be something that to Allan would be pretty much unforgivable, even given the circumstances.

Jack, once he figures out the circumstances, probably will forgive pretty readily, as I could almost see him doing the same thing if he was in the same circumstances. He already shown time and again he thoroughly believes in stop the killer no matter the cost, so sending one killer after another, well its a pretty elegant, if unorthodox, solution if you have that mind set.

It's interesting the first season involved showing how far Jack was willing to go to stop a killer, and this season we start to see more how far Will is.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Shadoer posted:

Eh they are good friends and the realization that Will is trying to kill Hannibal while also feeling guilt for continuing to try and protect Will would probably be enough for Alana to fall into Hannibal's arms... especially if Hannibal is pushing for it.

It's a manipulative, dick move but Mads plays him as such an alien, almost inhuman character that it's hard to imagine him as being a sexual being. Plus, I keep forgetting that Alana doesn't know about his feasts. Just thinking of them together gives me the creeps.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

dr_rat posted:

Just want to secound this. He just makes Gideon seem like he enjoys loving with people so much, even when he may or may not know exactly whats going on.
I find it seem to add a lot of really enjoyable dark humor to the show.

From Allan's conversation with Gideon though he did seem to make it pretty clear that this would be the first -if just by proxy- murder that he thought Will was committing, so in someways he cleared Wills name to Allan. Although even if she picked up on that and believed it, it probably doesn't matter now, even if Will is freed, I think what Will just did would of probably permanently damaged Allan and Will's relationship, even just at its current friendship level. He straight up, set up a revenge killing. I can imagine that could be something that to Allan would be pretty much unforgivable, even given the circumstances.

Jack, once he figures out the circumstances, probably will forgive pretty readily, as I could almost see him doing the same thing if he was in the same circumstances. He already shown time and again he thoroughly believes in stop the killer no matter the cost, so sending one killer after another, well its a pretty elegant, if unorthodox, solution if you have that mind set.

It's interesting the first season involved showing how far Jack was willing to go to stop a killer, and this season we start to see more how far Will is.

This is one of the main things I took from the episode (the Gideon x Will stuff). Will is willing to go the distance, to acknowledge the thing in him if it means getting Hannibal. I think they communicate that well with the whole scene transition into the hannibal crucifixion. "Will isn't the person you think he is." Hannibal is definitely the one wrong here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that was a pretty horrific episode,seriously how is this on NBC? I'm starting to think that NBC purposefully moved it so people wouldn't notice what they were up to!

So drat good.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

blablablabla posted:

The saw would just shatter the body if it was liquid nitrogen.

It didn't necessarily have to be liquid nitrogen, or even totally frozen. Just a good chill would be enough. Ask anyone that makes their own beef jerky, you want to toss the meat in the freezer for a couple hours so it gets nice and firm, even a little frosty - but not frozen. Makes it very easy to cut into extremely thin strips. I'm guessing a body could be handled similarly, especially in a strong freezer like Hannibal almost certainly owns.

But the better answer is that it's just a show and it's a dumb thing to nitpick because all sorts of things in this show are unrealistic and a good story full of great characters is a lot more important than worrying about absolute scientific verisimilitude.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

It didn't necessarily have to be liquid nitrogen, or even totally frozen. Just a good chill would be enough. Ask anyone that makes their own beef jerky, you want to toss the meat in the freezer for a couple hours so it gets nice and firm, even a little frosty - but not frozen. Makes it very easy to cut into extremely thin strips. I'm guessing a body could be handled similarly, especially in a strong freezer like Hannibal almost certainly owns.

But the better answer is that it's just a show and it's a dumb thing to nitpick because all sorts of things in this show are unrealistic and a good story full of great characters is a lot more important than worrying about absolute scientific verisimilitude.

It might be a dumb thing to nitpick (like the coasts of west virginia, or hannibal and wills car ride from baltimore to wisconsin)but those of us familiar with meat thermodynamics from a long waited turkey thaw or the like, things like that tend to stick out.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Tissue sections for scientific slides are often cut at extremely low temperatures using a cryostat -- they use liquid helium as a coolant. It's not the same setup, but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Also, I NEED IT TO BE FRIDAY RIGHT NOW. Binge watching the first season spoiled me :cry:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

testifeye posted:

That same thing happened in Dead Space 3, but it was less fun.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I noticed an interesting detail in this episode. The orderly character is seen holding what looks like a Spyderco Byrd knife in the scene where Hannibal is hanging. You can tell by the teardrop-shaped hole, particular to the Byrd models. Like this:

In Hannibal (the book), Hannibal displays a preference for Spyderco knives, requesting a Spyderco Harpy and Spyderco Civilian by name from a knife merchant, as well as an unnamed 4-inch serrated model, also Spyderco. So it's canon that Hannibal is a bit of a Spyderco fanboy, probably because the blade shapes have so much character.

The two models he listed are quite wicked-looking knives, with curved edges, not unlike the linoleum knife he used in Red Dragon.

The Spyderco Byrd series differs by being the outsourced Chinese-made Spyderco's. They're not terrible knives, but they're a lot cheaper than the models Hannibal likes. So it's kind of funny that the prop guy gave this imitator character a cheap knockoff version of Hannibal's favorite brand. Symbolic and realistic, since an orderly doesn't make as much money as a psychiatrist.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Nice catch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

blablablabla posted:

I want the band saw that can slice through clothes as neatly as that rather than everything getting all tangled up to poo poo.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
If anyone else was impressed by the orderly's performance, the actor's Jonathan Tucker. Unfortunately hasn't done anything else of note though.

Do wish they'd given him some screen time before the trial, but I guess that'd have made it too obvious.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I dunno, it's pretty hard to see or hear when doing laps in a pool the way Hannibal was. And since it looked like a public space, it isn't exactly weird that there might be another person who shows up for a lap at the end of the work day.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Uh. I dunno how to feel about this episode. Hanging Hannibal just crossed the line into looking ridiculous, I think.

Also between Chilton, Will, Gideon and the orderly, there were faaaar too many characters speaking in ~a sinister voice~ and it was pretty grating. RIP Katz, you spoke normally

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
I get the hype. We're kind of seeing the tables turned here. Will has changed so much from the first season. The Wendigo is no longer his subconscious's perception of Hannibal. He is becoming the monster that he is hunting (minus the eating people thing, I hope.) This is truly the first time we have seen Hannibal caught completely off his guard. He knew Tobias wanted to kill him (and planned to kill Franklin.) He did not see the orderly coming, and we should not have expected to see Hannibal so brutally brought to his knees (so to speak.) He is always 5 steps ahead. He barely made it out of this episode alive - and not only that, the person who nearly killed him was someone we've never seen before, someone he's never seen before, someone completely off of our/his radar. It was a complete shock to me to see him taken down, and then later to see the fallen angel crucified as the saviour. Because as much of a monster as Hannibal is, he is, one way or another, Will's really only salvation. Or was, until this poo poo went down.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Twitter and Tumblr hype I see over the episode revolves around #HannibalPoolDrool. I'm really not fond of sexualizing a cannibalizing serial-killer, but ... Demographics and all. I'd sooner they promote #HannibalPoolDrool than #Hannigram.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tipping Freddie off was a loving :master: of cruelty. Shitloads of press and public get to witness Beverly's "disgrace" possibly even before her friends, colleagues and family find out.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
Did anyone get or understand Gideon's motivation for warning Alana? If anything, i thought Gideon would want Hannibal dead. I'm not sure what Gideon's end game was. He feigned ever meeting Hannibal.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Yestermoment posted:

Nah, it was feigned so that Jack would shoot the guy dead. Hannibal knew it was a dart gun.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I assumed he shouted about the gun to get the orderly killed before he started blabbing about the Chesapeake Ripper etc

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
His voice was still pretty funny when he said it, though.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Was Hannibal yelling in Danish? I swear he screamed "Skyt han!" which means "Shoot him!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yestermoment posted:

He said "HE'S GOT A GUN, JACK!"

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Was Hannibal yelling in Danish? I swear he screamed "Skyt han!" which means "Shoot him!"

Last time I had an allergic reaction and my throat almost completely closed up I sounded the same, Donald Duck-ish.

drat you bananas.

drat you Bananibal.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

He said "HE'S GOT A GUN, JACK!"

Yeah, it's just slurred because he's yelling while being crucified and hung :v:

It comes out sounding more like: 'sgotta gun, Jag!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Love the little bite mask pastry Hannibal made of Beverly's kidney. Made me chuckle a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone know where's that series of images where Will's dog tells him how dumb he was for not figuring out that Hannibal was the killer

• Locked thread