Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, can Buddhists change caste, if they drop to the artisan caste? Since both my sons are in the third tier, and I don't want to have to kill them so neither inherits and ruins things in that department.. :ohdear:

Caste doesn't matter for Buddhists either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

RagnarokAngel posted:

Doesn't make a ton of sense as a standalone mod but drat those look pretty good.

The creator made it for that Warring States mod from a few posts back. Either way, it means that other mods can finally stop using Mongol faces to represent the Chinese or Not-Chinese.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

RoI finally convinced me that I should try my hand at modding. Only just started, but I've got big plans.

Big plans.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 29, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Blarghalt posted:

RoI finally convinced me that I should try my hand at modding. Only just started, but I've got big plans.

Big plans.
Do the other choices do anything different?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Do the other choices do anything different?

Nope, they all do the same thing. Basically, the event fires if you're Norse and you hold an empire-level Indian title.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Blarghalt posted:

Nope, they all do the same thing. Basically, the event fires if you're Norse and you hold an empire-level Indian title.
Phew, only empires? Seems like a good idea, but I don't know why you'd restrict it like that.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Phew, only empires? Seems like a good idea, but I don't know why you'd restrict it like that.

Honestly? Mostly for testing purposes. There's only 3 empires and like 16 Indian kingdoms, so I chose the smaller number just to see if the event would work at all. I'll definitely add some kingdom-level requirements later. I've also been working on a special Indian Empire title only available to Norse.

Plus some all-around :black101: as gently caress events as a Norseman loving poo poo up in the jungle.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do the Norse - Norman, etc events trigger? Just a long, random timer on a Norse holding a foreign province?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

How do the Norse - Norman, etc events trigger? Just a long, random timer on a Norse holding a foreign province?

From what I can tell by looking at the game's guts, the Norse turning into Swedish, Danish ect. happens at random after a certain year and the respective culture's kingdom exists, or the culture change events will only happen inside the kingdom's de jure borders; I'm not entirely sure which. The cutoff year is also 1150, so the conversions stop after that.

More or less the same with the Normans. If you're king of England, Norman and your provinces are Saxon, the English melting pot event will kick off.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 29, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Any chance of HIP or CK2+ compatibility?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

NewMars posted:

Any chance of HIP or CK2+ compatibility?

I'm making separate files for pretty much everything, so hypothetically yes. This thing is still very, very early in development and so are my skills at writing event code, but I think all of this is do-able. :shobon:

Also got to think up some Indo-Norse names for rulers, which should be pretty cool.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Not to mention titles. He whose longboat is sailing everywhere without obstruction?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Blarghalt posted:

Big plans.

Well, there are theories about common roots of the Norse and Indian religions, Vidar is supposably identifiable with Vishnu.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

My heathen of a son joined the Vangrian guard and came back a filthy zealus christian. Can I convert him with my seer somehow or should I just kill him? Let him inherit and then get a borde heir or is that going to be tricky?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a new game after installing RoI , as the duke of Apulia in 1066. Things are going pretty well, I'm still alive and kicking at 64 and only 3 counties away from having all de jure territory of the Kingdom of Sicily , and those counties are held by muslims.

I left my capital in Apulia where it was; I personally own the duchies of Benevento and Apulia, the counties of Apulia, Bari, Palermo and Siracusa and a secondary barony in Palermo.

The duchy of Capua is owned by my son and heir, the duchy of Calabria and Salerno by faithful vassals. The duchy of Sicily doesn't exist yet, it will after my next holy war.

So, since I'm at peace now (waiting for truce cooldown to finish mopping up the infidels) and planning for the future, how should I manage my newly conquered realm? What's the best capital, and what duchies/counties would be best to own personally?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

My heathen of a son joined the Vangrian guard and came back a filthy zealus christian. Can I convert him with my seer somehow or should I just kill him? Let him inherit and then get a borde heir or is that going to be tricky?

If you're not reformed, it's technically possible but really remote. If you are reformed, plunk your chaplain down wherever he's hanging out and you have a decent chance to covert him.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TorakFade posted:

I started a new game after installing RoI , as the duke of Apulia in 1066. Things are going pretty well, I'm still alive and kicking at 64 and only 3 counties away from having all de jure territory of the Kingdom of Sicily , and those counties are held by muslims.

I left my capital in Apulia where it was; I personally own the duchies of Benevento and Apulia, the counties of Apulia, Bari, Palermo and Siracusa and a secondary barony in Palermo.

The duchy of Capua is owned by my son and heir, the duchy of Calabria and Salerno by faithful vassals. The duchy of Sicily doesn't exist yet, it will after my next holy war.

So, since I'm at peace now (waiting for truce cooldown to finish mopping up the infidels) and planning for the future, how should I manage my newly conquered realm? What's the best capital, and what duchies/counties would be best to own personally?

Hold Palermo + as many baronies under Palermo as you can, then as much of the rest of the Duchy of Sicily as you can, while staying within your desmesne limit, after that. That's by far the richest duchy in the kingdom, and Palermo has 6 holdings iirc. Can't remember what it starts with but that means you could potentially have 4 holdings, all being affected by the +50% capital county bonus to levies, plus the owner martial skill bonus, PLUS the train troops modifier from your martial.

e: Seriously Palermo is one of the best capitals in the entire game, to be honest. Loads of subholdings to stack modifiers on, and it's a 6 county duchy for the +25% capital duchy bonus. Definitely top 10.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 29, 2014

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Allyn posted:

Hold Palermo + as many baronies under Palermo as you can, then as much of the rest of the Duchy of Sicily as you can, while staying within your desmesne limit, after that. That's by far the richest duchy in the kingdom, and Palermo has 6 holdings iirc. Can't remember what it starts with but that means you could potentially have 4 holdings, all being affected by the +50% capital county bonus to levies, plus the owner martial skill bonus, PLUS the train troops modifier from your martial.

e: Seriously Palermo is one of the best capitals in the entire game, to be honest. Loads of subholdings to stack modifiers on, and it's a 6 county duchy for the +25% capital duchy bonus. Definitely top 10.

Great, will do that. The Duchy of Sicily will be mine after a couple holy wars. So I should look at building more castles in Palermo right? It has 2 castles, 1 town and 1 church, 2 empty slots now...

Then I will hold Duchy of Sicily, County of Palermo, County of Siracusa, and 1 castle barony in Palermo plus a few extra counties here and there and another duchy (which one? Calabria as it's right next to Sicily?); as demesne limit increases I shall build more castles in Palermo.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nightblade posted:

Paradox really hosed up the achievements for this patch. I got Saint Tomas's dream immediately on my first game as a Hindu Indian ruler, the tiger hunt one in my first hunt where I killed the tiger and let it escape at the same time, and just now continuing my first game I got Great Indian Sultanate as a Jain ruler when I supported one of my vassals plot to split up two duchies. I was looking forward to getting those legitimately. :'(

That sucks, but you can use Gibbed's Steam Achievement Manager to disable them once they are fixed and then pick them up normally.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

Great, will do that. The Duchy of Sicily will be mine after a couple holy wars. So I should look at building more castles in Palermo right? It has 2 castles, 1 town and 1 church, 2 empty slots now...

Then I will hold Duchy of Sicily, County of Palermo, County of Siracusa, and 1 castle barony in Palermo plus a few extra counties here and there and another duchy (which one? Calabria as it's right next to Sicily?); as demesne limit increases I shall build more castles in Palermo.

That sounds about right, although I don't quite get why you would want to hold a second duchy, except if you fear powerful vassals. You probably cannot even hold all counties in the Duchy of Sicily + all castles in Palermo personally, so why don't you give out the duchy? The counts in Calabria will dislike you for holding their duchy anyway, if you make another duke he can at least be useful in accumulating tech points.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
My Magyars game got a bit weird.

I invaded Italy and the Byzantine Empire with my Hungary creation event troops. Then I decided Carpathia was a sucky empire, so I made Constantinople my capital, went Orthodox, then re-created the empire.

Then, because I fancied having the Augustus trait, I holy-warred for Tunis, Alexandria, Jerusalem and Antioch.

It's just a shame it's not possible to reform the religion, since I'm stuck on Gavelkind now. I set it to elective while I was Orthodox and raised crown authority to medium. Elective was removed during succession, but the medium crown authority stuck, so I can at least revoke infidel titles.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TorakFade posted:

Any holdings outside the capital don't get the +50% Capital County bonus. Any holdings outside the duchy which contains your capital do not get the +25% Capital Duchy bonus. So you want to do it in the following order:
1) As many holdings in your capital as possible
2) As many holdings in your capital duchy as possible
3) Only then do you want to get holdings from outside your duchy.

Obviously if you can't get some of the counties inside your capital duchy and are below your limit then sure, why not, keep some counties from other duchies. And if you control your entire capital duchy and have room then having an extra duchy is the logical next step. But just because you can hold two duchy titles before an opinion penalty doesn't mean that it's always the best way -- you'll get far more from having one supremely built up duchy than a second one meaning your first isn't as filled out.

As far building castles in your capital: it's by far and away the most powerful thing to do, but it's so drat expensive that I honestly wouldn't prioritise it until you're making GBS threads money. Holding both the ones in Palermo is really good for now: work on getting the rest of the counties in the Duchy of Sicily (whether that's by conquering or revoking or stabbing).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Allyn posted:

Any holdings outside the capital don't get the +50% Capital County bonus. Any holdings outside the duchy which contains your capital do not get the +25% Capital Duchy bonus. So you want to do it in the following order:
1) As many holdings in your capital as possible
2) As many holdings in your capital duchy as possible
3) Only then do you want to get holdings from outside your duchy.

Obviously if you can't get some of the counties inside your capital duchy and are below your limit then sure, why not, keep some counties from other duchies. And if you control your entire capital duchy and have room then having an extra duchy is the logical next step. But just because you can hold two duchy titles before an opinion penalty doesn't mean that it's always the best way -- you'll get far more from having one supremely built up duchy than a second one meaning your first isn't as filled out.

As far building castles in your capital: it's by far and away the most powerful thing to do, but it's so drat expensive that I honestly wouldn't prioritise it until you're making GBS threads money. Holding both the ones in Palermo is really good for now: work on getting the rest of the counties in the Duchy of Sicily (whether that's by conquering or revoking or stabbing).

Very true, and holding counties, especially ones with many holdings, can give you much more gold than an extra barony. Those city and church taxes do add up, not to mention possible tech points and piety gains from the buildings. So in the beginning it makes more sense to concentrate on holding more of your capital duchy before spending 700+ gold on the next castle.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't really get how to manage my own demesne. I was under the impression that having more titles = better in every case, clearly it isn't so if concentrating gets you more money/troops!

Edit: right now Palermo is "under new administration" for another 15 years, is it worth it to change the capital anyways or should I let the malus expire before switching and starting to rearrange my demesne? I will almost surely die before then , leaving it to my son to do that, but maybe it's better to start revoking/stabbing with the current king to avoid the maluses with a new ruler

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 29, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Infinite tournament is bugging this game since forever. They fix it and then it pops back every few months.

Really? drat I must be lucky, had the game since release and this is the first time I've come across it.

Going over demense limit now gets you severely punished. I was 2 over the limit so gave those 2 to my heir to get back later and my income jumps up by 12 which was a hell of a boost.

The Zoroastrian game is going pretty well though my expansion has crawled to a halt I could expand north but Cumanian land is useless at the moment and I don't want the mongols hunting me when they show. India is happy just fighting over itself and leaving me alone so I'm leaving them alone in return. My main opponent is the Muliad empire which expands from Syria all the way through north Africa to Spain, they are HUGE and have a lot more troops then I so I'm stockpiling cash for the inevitable war.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for reforming pagan? I started out as the count of gotland and I have 3 Castles there and own the rest of the duchy (Närke, Tjust and Östergötland I think). Most of Sweden is owned by a Sumeniski king, but Denmark owns a lot of Finland, Norway and a lot of littles bits in the Baltic states, England and some of northern Germany.

Should I join Denmark and destroy it from within?

How good are prepared invasions? Will they give me enough event troops to actually do something about the huge country I try to invade?

It kinda feels like I have to take all the holy sites in one rulers life since I'm stuck at gavelkind.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
For some reason I can't rename the Saffarid Empire. Anyone having the same problem? It works with all the other titles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for reforming pagan? I started out as the count of gotland and I have 3 Castles there and own the rest of the duchy (Närke, Tjust and Östergötland I think). Most of Sweden is owned by a Sumeniski king, but Denmark owns a lot of Finland, Norway and a lot of littles bits in the Baltic states, England and some of northern Germany.

Should I join Denmark and destroy it from within?

How good are prepared invasions? Will they give me enough event troops to actually do something about the huge country I try to invade?

It kinda feels like I have to take all the holy sites in one rulers life since I'm stuck at gavelkind.

Event troops are quite good and should enable you to take on most Scandinavian kingdoms since they are not that big. Joining Denmark could work as well, the AI is just not as good as the player.

Regarding gavelkind, as long as you have only one title of your highest rank (i.e. only one duchy if you are a duke or only one kingdom if you are a king) then all lands will remain united under your heir, even though you have to give up a few of your holdings/counties.

If you can manage to acquire Denmark then you already have one holy site, and the Swedish one is at most 2 county conquests away from your core counties. If you still have the CB, consider subjugating Norway once you become king of Denmark, that should give you three holy sites. If Norse moral authority is too low to reform, remember that each looted church and each successful county conquest gives you +1 MA. So raiding and gobbling up the many one province minors in Ireland can really help you there. If you just can't get the last bit, look towards Zeeland, if the Karlings are embroiled in huge claimant wars or the holder revolts, try to grab it. You don't need to hold it (and you probably can't) you just need the 10 MA to reform.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
My Norse king had conquered a bit of Eastern Europe, and his godi was doing a nice job of converting provinces and vassals to the Norse faith for some years, until he had this announcement:

"What the Hell are you talking about, and why are you dressed like that?"

"Oh, I've also converted to the Tengri faith, my lord."

"And as my chief advisor on religious matters in my realm, you thought you should not inform me of this, because...?"

"Well, I believe that religion is a matter of personal and private conviction, and that an employer should not take religion into consideration when assessing the work performance of his employees, or when hiring or firing employees."

"That's cute. Now sod off, you're fired."

"My lord! That's discrimination!"

I really love the random stuff that happens in this game sometimes :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You know it's against the realm law that you're not allowed to ask someone's religious affiliation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Now watch her die in a freak accident and have your next heir an inbreed idiot. :)

She died from complications due to childbirth at age 26, after reigning for only two years. :smith:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Torrannor posted:

Event troops are quite good and should enable you to take on most Scandinavian kingdoms since they are not that big. Joining Denmark could work as well, the AI is just not as good as the player.

Regarding gavelkind, as long as you have only one title of your highest rank (i.e. only one duchy if you are a duke or only one kingdom if you are a king) then all lands will remain united under your heir, even though you have to give up a few of your holdings/counties.

If you can manage to acquire Denmark then you already have one holy site, and the Swedish one is at most 2 county conquests away from your core counties. If you still have the CB, consider subjugating Norway once you become king of Denmark, that should give you three holy sites. If Norse moral authority is too low to reform, remember that each looted church and each successful county conquest gives you +1 MA. So raiding and gobbling up the many one province minors in Ireland can really help you there. If you just can't get the last bit, look towards Zeeland, if the Karlings are embroiled in huge claimant wars or the holder revolts, try to grab it. You don't need to hold it (and you probably can't) you just need the 10 MA to reform.

The wierd thing is that I have petty kingdom of Gotland and Jarl of Östergötland, still last time my guy died only the county of Tjust passed to the other son. So: 4 counties, 1 duke title, one titular duke title and an extra Barony, and my second heir only got one county. Not sure how that works.

I did see however that Denmark will split into Denmark and Norway when the current 60 year old king dies, so I'll probably try to take Denmark or Norway. Not sure how I should set the kingdom up though, should I just keep my 4-county duchy in which I hold all counties and keep maxing my 3 Baronies on gotland? A bit worried that I would get a lot of revolt when I take Norway or Denmark.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Caik posted:

For some reason I can't rename the Saffarid Empire. Anyone having the same problem? It works with all the other titles.

Because Muslim/Zoroastrian titles automatically default to family name regardless of the actual title, probably. You can turn it off in the cultural files.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

She died from complications due to childbirth at age 26, after reigning for only two years. :smith:

Last time I managed to get a crazy good heir, he was poisoned by some pissant count with whom I had no prior interaction. Why? I have no idea. But man, let me tell you, exterminating someone's entire bloodline in a fit of pique gets expensive.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I haven't played this game since old gods came out. How much content is there in Sons of Abraham? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth 10 bucks, but I imagine that old gods itself should be plenty of content for me!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I haven't played this game since old gods came out. How much content is there in Sons of Abraham? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth 10 bucks, but I imagine that old gods itself should be plenty of content for me!

Sons of Abraham has some of the best events in the game and fleshes out a lot of the minor religions.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Because Muslim/Zoroastrian titles automatically default to family name regardless of the actual title, probably. You can turn it off in the cultural files.

I thought that was just Arabic culture-group rulers? European Muslims tend to get their realm title over their family ones.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I haven't got the devil child event after 100 hours of playing various Christians. I feel cheated.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Ah thank you. I was worried it was a bug. First time I'm playing a Zoroastrian ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
...does anyone else think that the way gavelkind is implemented right now is kind of nuts? Playing as a Norse, it seems that my second son will get literally everything but the main title/county. That doesn't sound exactly right to me. And I can't give anything except my main title to my first son. I mean he'll still end up ruling over no.2 but the second son gets more lands and claim to the main title, doesn't really sound like a sensible method of succession to me. Plus it fragments my realm which I hate. It's not game-breaking or anything, just weird.

• Locked thread