Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Striker posted:

gently caress you, that song is amazing :colbert:

It only plays for the red chocobos, the normal chocobos have a regular chocobo theme that plays.
Technically true... until you get the config menu ability to change which song plays on all chocobos, at which point I'm pretty sure it's in the Constitution that you have to make it play for all chocobos :getin:

I said it was a shitfest, I never said I didn't love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

Seriously? You walk one screen too far and basically get locked out of Anima unless you sink 100 hours into grinding stats? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

It doesn't take anywhere close to 100 hours to be able to beat Dark Valefor lol. Try like 35 ish if you know what you're doing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Almost Smart posted:

Seriously? You walk one screen too far and basically get locked out of Anima unless you sink 100 hours into grinding stats? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?
Plenty of people beat all the extra content without using Anima except as a wall against Nemesis. They're called Americans.

You're looking at a clock of around a hundred hours if you do all the stuff in the monster arena. Making a "perfect" sphere grid takes maybe... 70? Everything after that is just getting Yuna, Lulu, Rikku, and Kimahri enough kills to grind Don Tonberry effectively.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

Is fighting these optional enemies fun for normal, sane, well-adjusted people?

I'm not asking that rhetorically, I've never tried to fight any optional bosses in FF and reading that description of the fight I just can't figure out where the "fun" element comes into play.

They still seem easier than the superbosses in Star Ocean. (although in SO you at least get a pretty cool and unique boss theme.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tri-Ace Superbosses are all super-easy as long as you understand the gameplay mechanics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

But that's what everyone says about every superboss ever. "Yiazmat ain't no problem." "I can solo Penance with Auron." Etc., etc..

Obviously it seems easy to those who have done it but to people who barely, BARELY beat some of the lesser Hunts in FFXII (like me) it seems impossible. And SO is even worse because I'm not really good at their more Action-y combat. I can't even imagine trying to beat that poo poo on 4D or Chaos.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Can't you just pay Yojimbo to one shot Dark Valefor? That doesn't even require grinding, just a bit of luck (and maybe some save-scumming).

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Dark Valefor's a chump, she doesn't even have attacks that bypass Auto Life.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

They still seem easier than the superbosses in Star Ocean. (although in SO you at least get a pretty cool and unique boss theme.)

Wow, SO4 even has the worst version of that song. Is there anything that game didn't gently caress up?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Levantine posted:

Can't you just pay Yojimbo to one shot Dark Valefor? That doesn't even require grinding, just a bit of luck (and maybe some save-scumming).

You can use Yojimbo to one shot just everything (besides a few storyline bosses). Now, if you want to Zanmato all the optional bosses, it's going to be very expensive, so you'd have to do gil grinding. Which is, admittedly, much easier/quicker than stat grinding.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

dis astranagant posted:

Wow, SO4 even has the worst version of that song. Is there anything that game didn't gently caress up?

They spelled "Star Ocean" correctly in the title.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It has the best version of For Achieve as far as I'm concerned. (SNES version is great but man, that PSP version is super loving weak by comparison to both) Roak probably had the best music by and large in SO4.

Also it seems to be the only game in the series which understands that, with a title like "Star Ocean", people have expectations about traveling through space and poo poo. Who knew.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Also it seems to be the only game in the series which understands that, with a title like "Star Ocean", people have expectations about traveling through space and poo poo. Who knew.

I really liked the way SO1 and 2 progressed in terms of story. I also liked how SO1 started with you going into outer space and SO2 started with Claude arriving from outer space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem with Star Ocean is in general the lack of actual Star Oceaning. SO4 got that right in exchange for loving up everything else.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Excels posted:

They spelled "Star Ocean" correctly in the title.
That was a typo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The more I see of Lightning Returns, the more I'm convinced it actually owns and people who hate it are dumb stupidheads.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

precision posted:

The more I see of Lightning Returns, the more I'm convinced it actually owns and people who hate it are dumb stupidheads.

Against all odds it actually does own. Oftentimes, you're laughing at the game and not with it, but there's enough legit great stuff in it that I'd consider it a good game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Qwezz posted:

:tviv:

why did that not click before????

precision posted:

This person here is a right thinking person. It's actually the first Final Fabulous in years that I haven't been relying closely on a guide because a) the mission structure is mostly intuitive and b) they made the world interesting and actually worth exploring, for the most part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LR has a lot of problems but I really feel like the combat system and basic gameplay is solid.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I want to know what the internal process for developing all three XIII games was like. Square Enix needs to make a documentary about their development practices.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My primary problems with Lightning Returns have nothing to do with the game itself and everything to do with the game as a member of the Final Fantasy XIII series.

But yeah it's probably the best of the three. All kinds of hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

I want to know what the internal process for developing all three XIII games was like. Square Enix needs to make a documentary about their development practices.

If you mean "why did they make two sequels" I think the answer is "Japan loves the poo poo out of them, and the rest of the world, aside from vocal people on the Internet, also love the poo poo out of them".

The amount of FF13 cosplaying and fanart makes something like Mass Effect's fan community look downright quaint and sane.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"The rest of the world?" No. People who are somehow still in to Final Fantasy and animu? Perhaps. Nobody's ever said Square's not good at pandering to their preexisting fanbase, it's getting anyone else to buy that's the problem. I think the fact you're using cosplay as a metric is a sign that we're not talking about mainstream acceptance outside Japan.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

precision posted:

The fact that I could beat some of the main bosses in the first three days instead of using the full thirteen you have to prepare for them somehow entertained me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

precision posted:

If you mean "why did they make two sequels" I think the answer is "Japan loves the poo poo out of them, and the rest of the world, aside from vocal people on the Internet, also love the poo poo out of them".

Eh, the sales don't really support that. XIII sold 1.5 million units in Japan in the first week, with 1 million sales on the first day. XIII-2 only sold 524,000 the first week, or about a third of the first one. Lightning Returns managed to pull in only around 277,000 copies the first week. I don't have firm numbers for western releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if the dropoff wasn't even more marked.

Which is a shame, since I agree that Lightning Returns, at least, is a fun game, but really seems to have had its chance for success killed by the first two games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

precision posted:

The amount of FF13 cosplaying and fanart makes something like Mass Effect's fan community look downright quaint and sane.

Considering SE sells Lightning so hard, and she is very pretty, Japan's love of her is not surprising. Keep in mind most of the runner-ups for that Japanese "Best PlayStation character of 2013" poll were just otaku-bait like Nepu-Nepu from Hyperdimension Neptunia and Hatsune Miku (who does not even have any established personality) because of Project Diva.

XIII sold well because a new FF was a console-seller. People were buying them together out of pure hype. Most people who bought it in the first week were returning it.

Excels fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 29, 2014

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

Excels posted:

XIII sold well because a new FF was a console-seller. People were buying them together out of pure hype. Most people who bought it in the first week were returning it.

I can't really explain what it is that made me want to get FF13, since I didn't know much about the series as a whole at the time, but I actually enjoyed the overall experience. Sure, it's flawed to hell and back, but I had fun with it and still do whenever I go back to it. I really had fun with the battle mechanics, including the paradigm shifting, which others have told me made them hate the game.

13-2 however was just... not as good. I still have the game in case I ever get around to wanting to finish it, but I just didn't like the changes they made over 13.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Defiance Industries posted:

"The rest of the world?" No. People who are somehow still in to Final Fantasy and animu? Perhaps. Nobody's ever said Square's not good at pandering to their preexisting fanbase, it's getting anyone else to buy that's the problem. I think the fact you're using cosplay as a metric is a sign that we're not talking about mainstream acceptance outside Japan.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that FF was a series with an huge mainstream appeal. And I don't know too much about sales, but it appears that FF13-2 was the best-selling console game in Japan that year, and second only to Call of Duty in America for the month of its release. In that month, it beat Skyrim, which wasn't that old yet, and beat EA's moneysink Kingdoms of Amalur.

So, while yes a lot of people who bought FF13 returned/hated it, clearly a lot of people outside Japan still liked the series.

:shrug:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

precision posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that FF was a series with an huge mainstream appeal. And I don't know too much about sales, but it appears that FF13-2 was the best-selling console game in Japan that year, and second only to Call of Duty in America for the month of its release. In that month, it beat Skyrim, which wasn't that old yet, and beat EA's moneysink Kingdoms of Amalur.

So, while yes a lot of people who bought FF13 returned/hated it, clearly a lot of people outside Japan still liked the series.

:shrug:

To be honest, I have slowly realized people are usually willing to defend any critically panned game, no matter how bad (ie, Sonic 06), just to be special or out of some ingrained devotion to a franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

To be honest, I have slowly realized people are usually willing to defend any critically panned game, no matter how bad (ie, Sonic 06), just to be special or out of some ingrained devotion to a franchise.

Are you saying people bought 13-2 at launch out of Stockhold Syndrome?

I liked 13 but even I stayed the Hell away from 13-2 until I could get it on sale for like $20. I'm waiting on a sale for Lightning Returns, too, especially having looked at the laughable amount of expensive costume DLC (that I know I'll want because playing dress up rules).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wottermelon posted:

I can't really explain what it is that made me want to get FF13, since I didn't know much about the series as a whole at the time, but I actually enjoyed the overall experience. Sure, it's flawed to hell and back, but I had fun with it and still do whenever I go back to it. I really had fun with the battle mechanics, including the paradigm shifting, which others have told me made them hate the game.

13-2 however was just... not as good. I still have the game in case I ever get around to wanting to finish it, but I just didn't like the changes they made over 13.

I'd give LR a shot sometime. I enjoyed FF13's combat system as well and had problems with FFXIII-2 entirely because of the changes it made which I felt screwed up the combat (which is the thing I liked about FF13.) LR doesn't exactly go back to the Paradigm system precisely but it made the combat fun to play again.

precision posted:

I liked 13 but even I stayed the Hell away from 13-2 until I could get it on sale for like $20. I'm waiting on a sale for Lightning Returns, too, especially having looked at the laughable amount of expensive costume DLC (that I know I'll want because playing dress up rules).

There are seriously like 80+ consumes in the game by default. The pay DLC stuff isn't worth it unless you really like a specific costume.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Saying that Final Fantasy isn't a notable brand outside of Japan and the anime crowds is still pretty dumb though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I thought 13-2 and X-2 were much more fun than their predecessors. Maybe not better games but in my personal experience, they were more entertaining.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The GIG posted:

Saying that Final Fantasy isn't a notable brand outside of Japan and the anime crowds is still pretty dumb though.

Notable doesn't always equal success, popularity or anything else. Homefront was notable. But apparently saying that Final Fantasy isn't universally adored outside of Japan now means I said it's obscure.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Speaking of LR, I'm at the last boss and its final form is destroying me. My attacks do like 30 damage and I'm not even close to staggering it. Any tips? I have Ultima sword and did like 95 % of every quest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stagger it and you win. Magic is the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Defiance Industries posted:

Notable doesn't always equal success, popularity or anything else. Homefront was notable. But apparently saying that Final Fantasy isn't universally adored outside of Japan now means I said it's obscure.

No but you did say that outside of Japan it's "animu" people who still like the series.

I'm no expert but I've seen a lot of Americans who like FF and mostly dislike or ignore anime. Hell I don't even like more than maybe a dozen or two animes out of all the ones I've been exposed to over the past 30 years or whatever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, the sales don't really support that. XIII sold 1.5 million units in Japan in the first week, with 1 million sales on the first day. XIII-2 only sold 524,000 the first week, or about a third of the first one. Lightning Returns managed to pull in only around 277,000 copies the first week. I don't have firm numbers for western releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if the dropoff wasn't even more marked.

I heard Bravely Default sold better in the West than LR did.

Speaking as someone who played FFXIII and liked it until you got to Pulse, I have no desire to play the sequels. They sound like they took a relatively simple story and added a ton of needless convolution to it. Already saw that happened with Kingdom Hearts and I know I'll never bother to play 2 or any of the spin-offs due to that fact. (although I am sorely tempted to play the one with Leonard Nimoy because...it's Leonard Nimoy. Say what you will about Nomura but the man does have some excellent taste)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 29, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Terper posted:

Stagger it and you win. Magic is the way.

Which magic attacks? I even switch between the getups mid-combo to avoid the combo finisher and I still only get like half way towards a stagger. Then it attacks, I block , and the stagger meter is gone. I usually mix magic and physical attacks since it makes the meter stay longer but the physical attacks take way to long against it. I've been beaten to the ground four times now and it's getting really frustrating. Not even with overclock am I getting close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Excels posted:

I've knkw quite a few people who've worked on the series and all this comes from them. The development of XIII was a nightmare. SE was completely unprepared for the realities of HD asset generation. This is why the game is so linear.

However, because they dicked around so much they had over a whole game's worth of unused assets. This is where XIII-2 came from.

Development in XII VS (now XV) didn't start until 2010 at the earliest according to one SE higher-up I talked to (he's since left the company.) Despite being announced i n 2006.

Basically XIII and XIV broke the company. Their aquisition of Eidos is the only reason it's still around. XIII-2 and 3 were made to recoup earlier losses.