Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Red Metal posted:

it's cancer or something

you're so loving self absorbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LSTB posted:

When I grow up I'm going to be a Beastman with a Mark of Slaanesh and knock up all the good looking human and elf girls.

cum for the cum god

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ekster posted:

so whats his illness

im guessing it's psychiatric

fake-dying-and-take-all-the-money-itis

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
@redcometcasval Will we see more L&L class progress updates like we did with Bard and Warlock? Interested to see how Fighter is shaping up.
@mikemearls Yes - just wrote one about a class for posting on Monday.

@KarlinFurtado Hey Mike, sorry to be one of those guys, but I was wondering... Do you have a tip for someone interested in DMing?
@mikemearls Start small! It's easy to build it up and overwhelm yourself. Run a quick little dungeon. Don't put too much pressure on you

@GX_Sigma Will there be a better initiative system in #dndnext? Having 5 PCs and 20 kobolds each roll initiative seems insane.
@mikemearls Default is to roll for groups of identical monsters.
@GX_Sigma Will there be simpler options for DMs who don't want to do a lot of tracking?
@mikemearls Yes - we're actually taking care to shepherd a slice of the game that is as easy on DMs as possible, plus lots of simple options.

@rrockman In absence of rules, I've seen people consider shields improvised weapons. Gotta ask @mikemearls: shield bashes in #dndnext?
@mikemearls Not too much - shield bashes can cause a lot of hairy issues if they aren't carefully controlled.

@YetiMoose Any benefit to dual proficiency in both climbing kit and climbing with athletics?
@mikemearls No, but expect the climbing kit to be reworked. I think it will let you set up a rope on other surfaces, to reduce/remove the DC

@YetiMoose Can tools can be used without proficiency?
@mikemearls Yes, you can always try to use a tool.

@chronoresonance Is there a reason armor proficiency doesn't provide the standard prof bonus to AC with the armor giving a smaller default bonus?
@mikemearls it ends up just canceling out proficiency, hard codes level gaps that we'd rather avoid.

@pukunui81 how would u personally stat up, say, a minotaur or a hobgoblin as a playable race for 5e?
@mikemearls Hobgoblin - i'd treat it like any standard race, maybe bonus to Wis and Str, plus a discipline-based racial ability.
@mikemearls Minotaur - I'd treat it like a class for 4 or 5 levels, kind of like how Savage Species treated it.

@GX_Sigma Love the idea of equipment packages. I think choosing spells is the same problem. Will there be spell packages (or random roll)?
@mikemearls Kind of - beginner stuff will do more scripting of spells to guide people. We should add a random option, though.

@Khanyoudigit1 wondering if you had taken a look. Wanted to know if poison DC scales with assassins and if any word on more advanced poisons.
@mikemearls Sorry, answer still fuzzy. However, I do know that proficiency bonus will play a role in the poisons you make, for DC etc.

@QuadraticKim Is the combination of Defy Death and Indominatable making the fighter nigh immortal a feature or a bug? #pleasesayfeature
@mikemearls I say feature, but the smarter people doing the design work might say bug-like.

@Omgdestroyed Has the "Cast at Higher Levels" mechanic seen any change since the final playtest packet?
@mikemearls No, it's actually worked very well in play and for balancing classes.

@vanesitasss Hey, Mike! A quick one: if I'm a 5th level barbarian, and at some point I level up as a rogue, do I lose Extra Attack?
@mikemearls Nope, you don't lose abilities that you have already gained. The multiclass rules just give you an additional way to earn it.

@vikke064 How will spell components without a specific cost work? Just seems like annoying bookkeeping preventing spell use.
@mikemearls You just need to have a component pouch. It's assumed it covers it.

@biotech66 I'm a grunt for you guys at #gencon2014 any way to show some love to us there?
@mikemearls We have cool stuff planned. It's going to be very nifty.

@rockguitarmy any plans for NPC classes like expert and warrior? Or will NPCs be stuck w/ PC classes? will there be an easy way to stat NPCs?
@mikemearls The NPC classes ended up requiring just about as much work as PC ones, so no. However, we are making it easier to make NPCs.

@Kummitusv6lur How "evil" will the death domain be. Can it be easily altered to be used by a cleric of Raven Queen or Kelemvor ?
‏@mikemearls Yes, we're scoping it to cover those sorts of gods, too.

@Omgdestroyed Unwieldy property for ranged (and perhaps thrown weapons wehen not used for melee) is still in the cards?
@mikemearls Ended up scrapping it for basic rule of disadvantage when using ranged attacks in melee.

@wrightdjohn Any chance you guys would Kickstart something you felt was risky but might have the support?
@mikemearls No - Kickstarters don't make sense for us for many reasons. If we can justify doing something, we can get funding for it.

@DougPippy how much influence do you have over the artwork for D&D Next?
@mikemearls a lot, though art directors are the experts on style/execution. I had a few basic rules for them.
@blackwarder such as?
@mikemearls No sexualized characters, unless the character was supposed to be sexualized (incubus/succubus). Sensible armor.
@mikemearls Diverse cast of characters. Scenes that told a story. Wide range of styles.
@blackwarder no chainmail bikini? Nerds everywhere will jump from bridges #horror
@mikemearls Not if I have any say in it.

@Acr0ssTh3P0nd for multiclass Druids, do features like the Barbarian's Thick Hide or the Monk's Unarmored Defense still work in Wild Shape?
@mikemearls Yes, those should still apply unless the ability specfically says otherwise.

@T_Strube has there been a legends and lore about traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws?
@mikemearls This is one where I talk about it - http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130722

retweeted by Mike Mearls.

@mforbeck Sad to hear that Dave Trampier, artist for Wormy and many other D&D projects in the 70s & 80s, has died. http://bit.ly/O511EE

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ryuujin posted:

@mikemearls Minotaur - I'd treat it like a class for 4 or 5 levels, kind of like how Savage Species treated it.
look at how stupid you are, you stupid motherfucker

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

@mikemearls a lot, though art directors are the experts on style/execution. I had a few basic rules for them.
@blackwarder such as?
@mikemearls No sexualized characters, unless the character was supposed to be sexualized (incubus/succubus). Sensible armor.
@mikemearls Diverse cast of characters. Scenes that told a story. Wide range of styles.
@blackwarder no chainmail bikini? Nerds everywhere will jump from bridges #horror
This was a nice thing to read today.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dwarf74 posted:

This was a nice thing to read today.

Yeah that's actually pretty cool.

Dec 26, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

look at how stupid you are, you stupid motherfucker

signs of quality: holding up savage species in any sort of positive light

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Savage Species didn't work as I, or most people likely, would have liked. But it was a good idea in general. Though Sean K. Reynolds supposedly deliberately made things weak so people wouldn't play monsters.

On another matter entirely today was supposed to be another livestream game, but people dropped out at the last minute so it is now a live Q&A session Here.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If the Minotaur PC option is designed as an actual class instead of a pile of poo poo with some monster HD sticking out of it like undigested corn then it could possibly work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

@redcometcasval Will we see more L&L class progress updates like we did with Bard and Warlock? Interested to see how Fighter is shaping up.
@mikemearls Yes - just wrote one about a class for posting on Monday.

@KarlinFurtado Hey Mike, sorry to be one of those guys, but I was wondering... Do you have a tip for someone interested in DMing?
@mikemearls Start small! It's easy to build it up and overwhelm yourself. Run a quick little dungeon. Don't put too much pressure on you

@GX_Sigma Will there be a better initiative system in #dndnext? Having 5 PCs and 20 kobolds each roll initiative seems insane.
@mikemearls Default is to roll for groups of identical monsters.
@GX_Sigma Will there be simpler options for DMs who don't want to do a lot of tracking?
@mikemearls Yes - we're actually taking care to shepherd a slice of the game that is as easy on DMs as possible, plus lots of simple options.

@rrockman In absence of rules, I've seen people consider shields improvised weapons. Gotta ask @mikemearls: shield bashes in #dndnext?
@mikemearls Not too much - shield bashes can cause a lot of hairy issues if they aren't carefully controlled.

@YetiMoose Any benefit to dual proficiency in both climbing kit and climbing with athletics?
@mikemearls No, but expect the climbing kit to be reworked. I think it will let you set up a rope on other surfaces, to reduce/remove the DC

@YetiMoose Can tools can be used without proficiency?
@mikemearls Yes, you can always try to use a tool.

@chronoresonance Is there a reason armor proficiency doesn't provide the standard prof bonus to AC with the armor giving a smaller default bonus?
@mikemearls it ends up just canceling out proficiency, hard codes level gaps that we'd rather avoid.

@pukunui81 how would u personally stat up, say, a minotaur or a hobgoblin as a playable race for 5e?
@mikemearls Hobgoblin - i'd treat it like any standard race, maybe bonus to Wis and Str, plus a discipline-based racial ability.

@GX_Sigma Love the idea of equipment packages. I think choosing spells is the same problem. Will there be spell packages (or random roll)?
@mikemearls Kind of - beginner stuff will do more scripting of spells to guide people. We should add a random option, though.

@Khanyoudigit1 wondering if you had taken a look. Wanted to know if poison DC scales with assassins and if any word on more advanced poisons.
@mikemearls Sorry, answer still fuzzy. However, I do know that proficiency bonus will play a role in the poisons you make, for DC etc.

@QuadraticKim Is the combination of Defy Death and Indominatable making the fighter nigh immortal a feature or a bug? #pleasesayfeature
@mikemearls I say feature, but the smarter people doing the design work might say bug-like.

@Omgdestroyed Has the "Cast at Higher Levels" mechanic seen any change since the final playtest packet?
@mikemearls No, it's actually worked very well in play and for balancing classes.

@vanesitasss Hey, Mike! A quick one: if I'm a 5th level barbarian, and at some point I level up as a rogue, do I lose Extra Attack?
@mikemearls Nope, you don't lose abilities that you have already gained. The multiclass rules just give you an additional way to earn it.

@vikke064 How will spell components without a specific cost work? Just seems like annoying bookkeeping preventing spell use.
@mikemearls You just need to have a component pouch. It's assumed it covers it.

@biotech66 I'm a grunt for you guys at #gencon2014 any way to show some love to us there?
@mikemearls We have cool stuff planned. It's going to be very nifty.

@rockguitarmy any plans for NPC classes like expert and warrior? Or will NPCs be stuck w/ PC classes? will there be an easy way to stat NPCs?
@mikemearls The NPC classes ended up requiring just about as much work as PC ones, so no. However, we are making it easier to make NPCs.

@Kummitusv6lur How "evil" will the death domain be. Can it be easily altered to be used by a cleric of Raven Queen or Kelemvor ?
‏@mikemearls Yes, we're scoping it to cover those sorts of gods, too.

@Omgdestroyed Unwieldy property for ranged (and perhaps thrown weapons wehen not used for melee) is still in the cards?
@mikemearls Ended up scrapping it for basic rule of disadvantage when using ranged attacks in melee.

@wrightdjohn Any chance you guys would Kickstart something you felt was risky but might have the support?
@mikemearls No - Kickstarters don't make sense for us for many reasons. If we can justify doing something, we can get funding for it.

@blackwarder such as?

@Acr0ssTh3P0nd for multiclass Druids, do features like the Barbarian's Thick Hide or the Monk's Unarmored Defense still work in Wild Shape?
@mikemearls Yes, those should still apply unless the ability specfically says otherwise.

@T_Strube has there been a legends and lore about traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws?
@mikemearls This is one where I talk about it - http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130722

retweeted by Mike Mearls.

@mforbeck Sad to hear that Dave Trampier, artist for Wormy and many other D&D projects in the 70s & 80s, has died. http://bit.ly/O511EE

i prefer reading @dril, @dings and @brendlewhat but hey if you like mearls' tweets thats your thing, ryuujin!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am not sure who those are, but there is a thread for Mearls tweets on the DnD Next official forums so that is where I get my info.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Ryuujin posted:

I am not sure who those are, but there is a thread for Mearls tweets on the DnD Next official forums so that is where I get my info.

You really should be following @dril

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ryuujin posted:

shield bashes can cause a lot of hairy issues if they aren't carefully controlled.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

It's time to game

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
those outfits do not seem very comfortable or practical

Ryuujin posted:

oh no

a fighter might hurt someone, can't have that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LSTB posted:

It's time to game

girls playing videogames is what pushes my D&D suspension of disbelief......

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cease to Hope posted:

forget the outfits, that posture looks like agony. especially on an uncushioned wooden bench

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

forget the outfits, that posture looks like agony. especially on an uncushioned wooden bench

people do weird stuff when playing games

check out the adventuring high heels and the armored garter stockings with the traced garter snap but no garter belt though

Dec 26, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Plutonis posted:

girls playing videogames is what pushes my D&D suspension of disbelief......

Attorney at Funk posted:

hmmm...lets see, what are your saves vs illusions again? no particular reason, just asking

Dec 26, 2012

i like the idea that mike mearls is just quivering in fear as he pens the shield rules, wary that the fighter's mighty bulwark will bring the delicate balance of D&D crashing down

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

01011001 posted:

hmmm...lets see, what are your saves vs illusions again? no particular reason, just asking

i failed my will save against the compulsion to keep posting in this thread

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

01011001 posted:

i like the idea that mike mearls is just quivering in fear as he pens the shield rules, wary that the fighter's mighty bulwark will bring the delicate balance of D&D crashing down
he could do it all day, how do you balance that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

i failed my will save against the compulsion to keep posting in this thread

i hope i become IK one day so i could help you with that

Dec 26, 2012

it can protect him...but he could also hit someone with it??? oh. oh no

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

i hope i become IK one day so i could help you with that

i am touched by your concern

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mearls' job mainly seems to be grognard PR. Can't really tell if anything he says has any actual bearing at all on the game at this point.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
shields.. so dangerous...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

shields.. so dangerous...

Dude it might do a whole d4 damage, thats game breaking. A fighter can do that all day, thats essentially infinite extra attacks.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 29, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
a fighter's hypothetical damage/day is basically insane

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
@YetiMoose We've found issues w/ move-atk-move rule. Can't hold narrow corridor. Foes unrealistically conga-line atks.Working as intended?
@mikemearls Wait... how is that unrealistic? Wouldn't you hit and run if you could, especially against a superior foe?
@BartHennigan I believe this thread on EnWorld is what he’s referencing. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?353904-Move-Attack-Move-Issues-with-The-New-Standard-for-Combat
@mikemearls It's definitely by design - if it's too easy to create choke points, monsters that rely on numbers are hosed.
@mikemearls OTOH, the monsters that hit & run are giving the characters a lot more options than if they pack in close.
@mikemearls IMC, gobs back off, PC wizard walked up, burning hands 2/3 of the goblins w/o oppy, moved back behind fighter

@YetiMoose So in 6 seconds, 20 creatures occupy the same tight corridor at same time? Walls are meaningless, and you're always surrounded?
@mikemearls It's an abstraction - by the rules, if you line up enough people you can transport a package hundreds of miles in 6 seconds
@YetiMoose It's an unnecessary abstraction though. Again, it should be harder to pass through the same spot someone else is occupying.
@mikemearls that's a good point - I'll bring it up with the designers
@mikemearls regarind the example - it does require some rethinking of tactics.
@mikemearls for instance - putting a few melee guys just inside the room to block a hallway works better now that in past editions.

@Acr0ssTh3P0nd just saw someone ask this on Reddit - can characters with Extra Attack and the Tactical Wr feat mark more than one foe per turn?
@mikemearls Depends on how it's worded - yes if it says per attack or per hit, no if it requires you to use an action to gain the benefit
@mikemearls Sorry - don't have that text handy

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
you see, a fighter's powers are on ALL DAY, as opposed to a wizard, who has to cast and rest.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"Hey, we decided that a Fighter, doing what a Fighter does (tactical positioning control) should be nerfed and it created a weird situation! Therefore the rules of the system obviously should be changed to prevent this!"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

@mikemearls OTOH, the monsters that hit & run are giving the characters a lot more options than if they pack in close.
@mikemearls IMC, gobs back off, PC wizard walked up, burning hands 2/3 of the goblins w/o oppy, moved back behind fighter

lol

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Delete the fighter, make the guy the wizard stands behind who does nothing else an NPC, make all the classes that primarily hit things with weapons paladins or barbarians or Thor and give them all an explicit power source, like barbarians have a patron tribal spirit or w/e.

Dec 26, 2012

the "too easy to create chokepoints" line is just fantastic

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
I don't think you all truly understand how overpowered Fighters are. You're really underestimating the ALL DAY part of that. Let's say you have a 10th level Wizard and a first level Fighter, and they want to deal damage. The Wizard specializes in Evocation and has 20 Intelligence for 5/7/6/5/5/4 spells from Spell Level 0 to 5.

She uses the Spell Level 3, 4, and 5 slots to memorize 14 Fireballs. That's 10d6 damage and you can hit 30 foes per Fireball. Let's say an average of 3.5 damage per d6, that's 35 damage rolled, or 1050 for hitting everything. That's 14,700 damage from Fireballs.

Spell Level 2 has 6 Scorching Rays, or 8d6 damage to one enemy. That's an average of 28 damage per ray, or 168 from all those casts.

Spell Level 1 has 7 Magic Missiles, or 5 d4+1 to one enemy. That's 17.5 damage per casting, or 122 (rounding down) from all the casts.

Spell Level 0 has the pitiful Ray of Frost, or 1d3 to one enemy. 10 damage from all the casts.

SO IN TOTAL this Wizard that's supposed to SPECIALIZE IN DEALING DAMAGE only does an even 15,000 damage per day.

Let's check out that upstart peasant first level Fighter. 20 Strength, wielding a Greatsword in two hands. Let's forget about crits and hitting. That's 2d6+7 damage per hit, or 14 on average. So, a round's 6 seconds. We have 10 rounds a minute, or 600 in an hour. 600 * 14 = 84,000 damage an hour! Totally blowing the Wizard away!

Don't even think that the Wizard can catch up on damage by shooting a light crossbow after running out of spells (think of the cost of those bolts!) or using a little dagger; the Fighter still has 8 EXTRA HOURS PER DAY of attacking that the Wizard has to use to sleep! Our Fighter can do 672,000 damage while the Wizard is FORCED to sleep.

God, can you just imagine if he could SHIELD BASH while doing this?!

edit: this was so infuriating that i forgot an order of magnitude

Ederick fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 29, 2014

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

LSTB posted:

Delete the fighter, make the guy the wizard stands behind who does nothing else an NPC, make all the classes that primarily hit things with weapons paladins or barbarians or Thor and give them all an explicit power source, like barbarians have a patron tribal spirit or w/e.

My Barbarian was just an average city dwelling professional like anyone else. Pudgy and overweight. And then he learned to call upon the totem of SwolePT, and his life changed completely. He lost fat, gained energy, and took control of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What is it called if I'm an accelerationist but only about dungeons and dragons?

• Locked thread