Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also, make triple sure that the VA actually got your DD-214 when you separate. It can ~somehow~ take up to 120 days for the DoD to send it to them. Your first BAH payment will still be late; anticipate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Also, make triple sure that the VA actually got your DD-214 when you separate. It can ~somehow~ take up to 120 days for the DoD to send it to them. Your first BAH payment will still be late; anticipate this.

This, yes. Please have your finances in order enough to survive possibly the entire semester without BAH.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I know we talked about BAH rate changes earlier but I had another question. If I start someplace this summer and their rate is set to change in 2014 which happens in Aug does that mean I can stay on the old rate so long as I continue going full time with no breaks?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Whats the correct way to get the VA to send my school the "out of gi bill" letter so I can switch to Hazlewood act? At the beginning of the semester I called the VA education hotline and the guy said to re-apply and get denied. Then I asked my school's certifying officer who said no, she'll send in my hours then get denied - and that it was proof enough. That hasn't happened and my school is breathing down my neck about my tuition. Also, they hold your financial aide, pell grant, until your tuition is paid. I only have this and a semester left and would like to smoothly get through this.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Whats the correct way to get the VA to send my school the "out of gi bill" letter so I can switch to Hazlewood act? At the beginning of the semester I called the VA education hotline and the guy said to re-apply and get denied. Then I asked my school's certifying officer who said no, she'll send in my hours then get denied - and that it was proof enough. That hasn't happened and my school is breathing down my neck about my tuition. Also, they hold your financial aide, pell grant, until your tuition is paid. I only have this and a semester left and would like to smoothly get through this.

You might be able to try and go on ebenefits and get a printout of your time remaining. That *might* do the trick.

Alternatively, if you have an old letter from a previous certifying period that might also work.

Or or or, you can use the 'Ask a Question' ticket thing online and ask them to send you a letter with how much time you have remaining. The ask a question people are generally more helpful.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How does college kicker actually work? Mine basically just says 350/mo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Elderbean posted:

How does college kicker actually work? Mine basically just says 350/mo

Magic mathematics, but basically it's a rate that they determine based off your BAH + your total kicker amount that is not to exceed the total amount of your kicker by another unknown variable. So if you have a 50k kicker and you're paid 350 a month extra, if you use all 36 months it comes out to 12,600.

So depending on your kicker amount (50,60,70k iirc) and your BAH, it might be a little tiny bit (few hundred in places with high BAH) or a pretty nice sum (up to 600-800 in places with low BAH).

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
One of my coworkers did 8 years in the Army reserves as an 88-something MOS. She doesn't know what education benefits she has, but she knows she has 30% disability (but didn't offer specifics.) Who would I direct her to so she can find out what benefits are due to her?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

With the summer coming up, what is the best way to have the least amount of gaps with no GI Bill BAH payments and how many hours should I take so as to not waste any of my months? I don't know how the summer semester works at all, really.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

blue squares posted:

With the summer coming up, what is the best way to have the least amount of gaps with no GI Bill BAH payments and how many hours should I take so as to not waste any of my months? I don't know how the summer semester works at all, really.

If you don't want to find a place to work during the summer, talk to your academic advisor about how many credit hours are needed to stay full-time. You're down at UT-Austin right? Unless you really just want to keep in school over the summer, find a low key job that pays the bills and lets you enjoy Austin in the summer.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

blue squares posted:

Kill yourself.

Alternatively, make sure you are full time (prob 6 credit hours) during college.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll be at UT in the fall, still in shitass community college for the summer. But yeah, I know 6 hours is enough to get the full payment, but I don't want to eat up whole months of my total 36 and not get enough credits, putting me behind schedule and having to make it up later down the road.

One reason for wanting to stay in school during the summer is to avoid having a 3 month gap between Spanish I and Spanish II.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
GI bill stops eating time as soon as the semester ends. GI bill also will pay for your entire last semester of coverage even if you only have one day of benefits left going into it. Your last statement of benefits should have the number of days remaining on it.

It's a little :spergin: but worth it: Figure out how many days long each semester is. Sit down and game out how many days of benefits you have left both with taking summer courses and without. That way you can figure out how to get the most benefit from the GI bill (if you're not planning on burning anything left over in grad school)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'll be getting out in three weeks. THREE loving WEEKS HAHAHAHA SCRUBS STILL GONNA BE IN HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now that that's out of the way. What specific documents should I get together starting now, if any, to expedite my GI bill coming in? Also what's the delay on it? As it stands I would be able to get in for the summer semester back home (Tampa, FL) and I don't feel like waiting a day and forever for the payments, specifically the BAH so I can have more breathing room with my own place.

Could I even call the VA back home ahead of time to at least start the process? Keep in mind I'm completely clueless about the process.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cole posted:

I'll be getting out in three weeks. THREE loving WEEKS HAHAHAHA SCRUBS STILL GONNA BE IN HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now that that's out of the way. What specific documents should I get together starting now, if any, to expedite my GI bill coming in? Also what's the delay on it? As it stands I would be able to get in for the summer semester back home (Tampa, FL) and I don't feel like waiting a day and forever for the payments, specifically the BAH so I can have more breathing room with my own place.

Could I even call the VA back home ahead of time to at least start the process? Keep in mind I'm completely clueless about the process.

If you apply now and have your ETS date plugged in when they ask for it, they will process your benefits and get you rolling. HOWEVER: :siren: The VA will not know that you are really off active duty until they get your DD-214, do not trust the DoD to send it in a timely manner. :siren:

So basically, apply now, get the certificate of eligibility, when you get your DD-214 make sure you submit it to them using the 'Ask a Question' feature on the website so your BAH gets turned on.

The VA will still probably gently caress this up and your ~first ever~ payments will be late, possibly really late if you're on an accelerated 5 week summer semester. Plan accordingly.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Now am I specifically dealing with my schools VA? Are they the ones that handle the GI Bill disbursements?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cole posted:

Now am I specifically dealing with my schools VA? Are they the ones that handle the GI Bill disbursements?

There's a few layers to the process.

At the highest end is the VA, who has determined (after you apply, of course) that you are eligible for benefits. They are the ones that pay out.

The middle man is the certifying official for your school. They are the ones that actually tell the VA that you're going to x school at y time and it costs z dollars.

You're at the bottom of the process. When you have a certificate of eligibility for your benefits you present it to your certifying official and they do the rest.

Exactly how involved your certifying official is in your process is up to the individual school. There are some schools that do absolutely everything out of one office and handle everything for you while explaining it along the way. There are also some schools that will do the bare minimum amount of effort and probably end up loving things up horribly for you. Most are middle ground, and will tell you exactly what you have to do for their school.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just had a VA stipend drop into my account today, and I'm confused as to what it's for.

Final grades for my previous semester were posted today, with my next semester beginning Monday. It's about $580, and I'm curious if it's a book stipend or what. Would they pay out a prorated housing allowance early?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyduck posted:

I just had a VA stipend drop into my account today, and I'm confused as to what it's for.

Final grades for my previous semester were posted today, with my next semester beginning Monday. It's about $580, and I'm curious if it's a book stipend or what. Would they pay out a prorated housing allowance early?

Was it one payment or two? Might have been pro rated BAH and book stipend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shyduck posted:

Log onto the ebenefits website and click payment history. It should tell you specifically what it was for.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Log onto the ebenefits website and click payment history. It should tell you specifically what it was for.
I did that, but it doesn't specify, just says "Post-9/11 GI Bill".

I am thinking though that it's for books, since the VA made payment to my school this upcoming semester today as well. I also saw my upcoming housing payment as well.

So for now I'll assume books.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Seems like a pretty safe assumption.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's probably books.

The VA payment schedule was primarily designed around 15 week semesters, not 10 week quarters. So their processing time with benefits might be a bit wonky when it comes to book allowances. It gets even wonkier if you have trimesters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

It's probably books.

The VA payment schedule was primarily designed around 15 week semesters, not 10 week quarters. So their processing time with benefits might be a bit wonky when it comes to book allowances. It gets even wonkier if you have trimesters.

I can vouch for this. I've gotten book payments that were either 600 or 166. The quarter system really makes the book stipend an odd amount.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can vouch for this. I've gotten book payments that were either 600 or 166. The quarter system really makes the book stipend an odd amount.

Yep.

It's based on a 1000/year, two semester system assuming 12 credits per semester. For the VA, the academic year starts 1 August. So that comes out to $41.68/credit. Since hardly anybody takes just 24 (semester) credits a year, it gets hosed up very easily. If you're taking 18CR in the fall, for example, and I certify you as taking 18CR in VA-ONCE, you will get a book stipend of $750.24 for the fall. If you're taking 18CR again in the spring, guess what, you're only getting $249.76 because that's all that is left. Taking summer classes too? Get hosed, you're out of book money.

It's a really dumb system, but its the only one that can work with the GI Bill. If they switched to a system like Voc Rehab it would be a nightmare of paperwork and require significant oversight to prevent massive cost overruns.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Has anyone had to deal with the VA debt management people before? How long is it going to take me to get one of them on the phone that can actually help me? They're trying to charge me for refunded tuition and fees that they already collected from my school.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

RichieHimself posted:

Has anyone had to deal with the VA debt management people before? How long is it going to take me to get one of them on the phone that can actually help me? They're trying to charge me for refunded tuition and fees that they already collected from my school.

unlike calling the VA for something you need help with and waiting hours, you'll get on the line with someone at debt management right away 9 times out of 10. during busy times of the month when the wait on the main line is super long I've even called the debt management line to ask my question instead, if the person's not a dick they'll answer it and save me a couple hours

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

unlike calling the VA for something you need help with and waiting hours, you'll get on the line with someone at debt management right away 9 times out of 10. during busy times of the month when the wait on the main line is super long I've even called the debt management line to ask my question instead, if the person's not a dick they'll answer it and save me a couple hours

Awesome! Thanks for the info

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

RichieHimself posted:

You'll get in touch with them but it will probably be a very annoying experience. I had a situation once where the VA was over paying me $100 some dollars a month for about a year. The woman on the phone was extremely rude and was telling me it was my fault because I was trying to scam the VA. I wasn't allowed to just write a check and instead had to wait until my next term of school started so they could withhold BAH. She also said BAH is not meant to be used for rent.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 28, 2014

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Quote is not edit.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

gleep gloop posted:

She also said BAH is not meant to be used for rent.

goddamn get your own story right

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

goddamn get your own story right

Oops fixed.
Yeah to clear that up she said you aren't supposed to use your BAH for rent. Or rather it isn't meant for that, so that if the VA fucks up you can't blame them.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 28, 2014

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
How hard/easy is it to get tail when you enter into college in your mid-twenties? When I ETS I'll be 25, and one of my way too moto buddies gives me poo poo that I'll be the creepy old dude when I start going to school. (will have about a years worth of credits done before I ETS)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There's always grad school students.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If you're a creepy weirdo well then that's that. But you'll be older, have money, and probably be more mature. Plus there will be women non traditionals too. But you're a goon so you'll probably scare them off with your neckbeard and awkward feminism.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
So you're saying I shouldn't grow out a luscious neck beard immediately after I ETS???

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

yeahok posted:

How hard/easy is it to get tail when you enter into college in your mid-twenties? When I ETS I'll be 25, and one of my way too moto buddies gives me poo poo that I'll be the creepy old dude when I start going to school. (will have about a years worth of credits done before I ETS)

Mid-twenties is nothing. I'm going to be starting school at the sprightly age of 30.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been described on these forums as looking like "Danny Trejo fathered a crack baby" and I don't have any problems, so there's that.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

gleep gloop posted:

If you're a creepy weirdo well then that's that. But you'll be older, have money, and probably be more mature. Plus there will be women non traditionals too. But you're a goon so you'll probably scare them off with your neckbeard and awkward feminism.

Truth. If you are not some weirdo, you'll fit right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Being cool with people in class makes the time go by quicker. I spent my time in an early American history class by chatting with a cute junior girl with huge tits. Sure it didn't go anywhere, but huge tits.

• Locked thread