Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know where's that series of images where Will's dog tells him how dumb he was for not figuring out that Hannibal was the killer

http://suddenbutinevitable.tumblr.com/post/57990398858/arubajamaicas-a-mans-best-friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
That orderly definitely wasn't dead, so I imagine that is going to be a really interesting conversation.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

deadly claris posted:

I get the hype. We're kind of seeing the tables turned here. Will has changed so much from the first season. The Wendigo is no longer his subconscious's perception of Hannibal. He is becoming the monster that he is hunting (minus the eating people thing, I hope.) This is truly the first time we have seen Hannibal caught completely off his guard. He knew Tobias wanted to kill him (and planned to kill Franklin.) He did not see the orderly coming, and we should not have expected to see Hannibal so brutally brought to his knees (so to speak.) He is always 5 steps ahead. He barely made it out of this episode alive - and not only that, the person who nearly killed him was someone we've never seen before, someone he's never seen before, someone completely off of our/his radar. It was a complete shock to me to see him taken down, and then later to see the fallen angel crucified as the saviour. Because as much of a monster as Hannibal is, he is, one way or another, Will's really only salvation. Or was, until this poo poo went down.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Twitter and Tumblr hype I see over the episode revolves around #HannibalPoolDrool. I'm really not fond of sexualizing a cannibalizing serial-killer, but ... Demographics and all. I'd sooner they promote #HannibalPoolDrool than #Hannigram.

I liked the episode, because through the first season Haninbal is sort of an omnipotent presence for all characters, and now through the second season he's starting to lose control of the situation.

First with Du Maurier, and now seeing him hanged, really makes you think of him as a vulnerable and not the looming figure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

That orderly definitely wasn't dead, so I imagine that is going to be a really interesting conversation.

I'm glad because he owned.

Was Gideon supposed to be ambiguously dead after last season? That's how I remembered it, did they ever mention his ultimate fate before this episode? Not that I'm complaining, Izzard is absolutely murdering it. In fact every actor on this show is constantly murdering it.

Also Hannibal was up .2 to a 1.1 which matched the season high!

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I've always wondering why Will didn't think to just tell Beverly (or anyone after he realized Hannibal was eating them) to get a food sample in the first place. I even thought of that as a reasonable course of action and I'm not a crime solving wizard.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

droey posted:

I've always wondering why Will didn't think to just tell Beverly (or anyone after he realized Hannibal was eating them) to get a food sample in the first place. I even thought of that as a reasonable course of action and I'm not a crime solving wizard.

That was what she was in the middle of doing, when she got caught. Took some organ meat out of the fridge, some blood dripped into the basement, went into the basement and then :chef:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Well she realized the stitching thing on her own and didn't tell anyone else right? Couldn't will just say "hey she went to Hannibal's house to look for human meat like I told her to and look she's an exhibit now." What I really meant was why not wait for Hannibal to throw a typical dinner? It's not like Hannibal would deny dinner to a man whom he is trying to manipulate. He could've asked Jack to just take some leftovers with him and then have those tested in the first place.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 29, 2014

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

droey posted:

Well she realized the stitching thing on her own and didn't tell anyone else right? Couldn't will just say "hey she went to Hannibal's house to look for human meat like I told her to and look she's an exhibit now." What I really meant was why not wait for Hannibal to throw a typical dinner? It's not like Hannibal would deny dinner to a man whom he is trying to manipulate. He could've asked Jack to just take some leftovers with him and then have those tested in the first place.

I don't think anyone would actually believe him though if he told them that. I hoped Chilton would have had that conversation recorded but apparently that's the ONE TIME he chose to not be an asswipe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You also have to remember just how crazy it is to accuse Hannibal of being a serial killer if you don't have outside audience knowledge. It'd be like accusing Sanjay Gupta of serial murder.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

zoux posted:

You also have to remember just how crazy it is to accuse Hannibal of being a serial killer if you don't have outside audience knowledge. It'd be like accusing Sanjay Gupta of serial murder.

If it's anyone, it's surely Dr Oz. I'm sure that hack is responsible for getting old people and moms hurt with awful advice

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

blablablabla posted:

Yeah I want that fridge which turned a human body into complete ice in under a night.

Exactly! And to the post below with liquid nitrogen, the flesh would be frosted as it was it exposed to insanely cold temps before the thermal effect would penetrate. Basically, what the poster pointed out, the human body is dense and will not freeze at the same time. It is like reverse frying a food. You hit it with 450 degree oil and the skin instntly reacts, the rest of the body then, with the reactive shield, warms accordingly. I don't believe you can cool a, dense, human body with liquid nitrogen, ambient. whatever freezer to saw it that cleanly. That should have been a big hint to the FBI. You just cant saw a side of beef under 24 hrs witout it drining/freezing/so much else that was ignored in that episode. HE COULD NOT HAVE SOLIDLY FROZE HER BODY.

I am not a serial killer or butcher, but that is the truth. Why, when that was known, did they now look for liquid nitrogen sales, or butcher freezers, or anything that an actual profiler would wonder.

E.G. 8 foot sheets of glass, a bandsaw tht can accomidate her spine-to-chest size. Blah blh blah. Why is that all ignored while we bring in Will and ask him what he thought. Why did we not hear, even me: "you can cut meat more cleanly with it cooler. hot beef, to cold, and meat slicer. To frozen to as thin as your saw will tolerate. But, really, he FROZE HER to cut her like that. That is Will's insight? Is the FBI that dumb that it was not obvious. And they didn't then wonder what blast chiller could freeze a body in under 24 hrs to be sliced? Overlooked episode of rational people.

JD Bucks 7 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 29, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Why are you all assuming that this happened the next day after Hannibal killed her, instead of a few days or whatever. She could have gone missing, or maybe it was Friday night, etc...

We received no indication whatsoever that it took place in 24 hours, and it would take way too much time for Hannibal to be able to kill her, freeze her, prepare all of that poo poo (are we supposed to believe he had those panes of glass just handy?) and then bring her to the observatory and mount her up then he went back, invited Jack for breakfast while calling Freddy so shed find the body as Jack was munching on some Katz slices?

The likely explanation is that this took place over a couple of days, most likely on a Friday night she was killed and then Hannibal took care of the rest during the weekend and then on Monday they found her.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Twee as gently caress posted:

Why are you all assuming that this happened the next day after Hannibal killed her, instead of a few days or whatever. She could have gone missing, or maybe it was Friday night, etc...

We received no indication whatsoever that it took place in 24 hours, and it would take way too much time for Hannibal to be able to kill her, freeze her, prepare all of that poo poo (are we supposed to believe he had those panes of glass just handy?) and then bring her to the observatory and mount her up then he went back, invited Jack for breakfast while calling Freddy so shed find the body as Jack was munching on some Katz slices?

Nitpicking aside, will asked Jack where he was last night, and he told him about being at the hospital

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

:stare: This loving show.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Thwomp posted:

It had tense moments and the music was loving unnerving. It also had Will going off the deep end in a misguided attempt to balance the scales.

I can see how Fuller pictures this as a major episode as no one will believe Will now that he took this step. However, it's not quite so earth shattering as pretty much everyone expected Katz to have bought it.
I don't think he really went off the deep end. Sending a hit man at Hannibal was a good call. Shame Alana blew it up.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Twee, you are a loving idiot. I've read every post in this thread and seen all the ones people question you and you just ignore. I am quite sure they mentioned it in the episode, but even if they didn't, why would we assume an FBI special agent investigating a serial killer that didn't check in for a few days.... Do you realize how dumb you sound? I don't know if you get off on being a troll, but you are so loving wrong and ignore when you are that anyone knows to disregard anything you say.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

SaxMaverick posted:

Nitpicking aside, will asked Jack where he was last night, and he told him about being at the hospital

His wife just tried to kill herself and she's got terminal cancer. He's going to answer 'at the hospital' for like three weeks. Maybe until she dies. But yeah, I had forgotten about Will's specific last night, so I guess that means Hannibal did in fact set it up under like what 8 hours if he had breakfast with Jack the next morning?

I'll file that under the same pile as totem corpse physics

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I am quite sure they mentioned it in the episode, but even if they didn't, why would we assume an FBI special agent investigating a serial killer that didn't check in for a few days.... Do you realize how dumb you sound?

She is not an FBI special agent investigation a serial killer, she's a lab technician who was investigating something on the side without anyone but Will knowing about it. Also, it's not like the FBI knows what every agent is doing with their weekends. If she doesn't have a boyfriend or something, she could go 'missing' on the weekend for a day or two without anyone noticing.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2014

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
This episode was actually a breather compared to the last one for me for some reason! Which is a good thing, because I have a sneaking suspicion next week is going to send me back into 50-heart-attacks-a-second mode.

Also, my silly little contribution to the Hannibal tumblr joke collection:

http://stupid-person-suit.tumblr.com/post/81085728650/im-going-to-hell

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

PRetty sure there was a scene in S1 where Hannibal and Alana hinted at some past history that had potential sexual tension. Something along the lines of "Why didn't we ever hook up." I think it was the ep he had her and Abigail over for dinner.

Yeah, Hannibal comments that the PhD candidates he was having Alana test thought the two of them were having an affair, then asks, seemingly genuinely, 'why didn't we?'

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
"As a doctor, I had no choice. As a philosopher, I had too many." Which is immediately followed by the equally amazing line with equally amazing delivery and word choice; "It wasn't about what I could do for Bella, it was what I couldn't do to you, Jack." Then Jack says he's a great friend. :unsmith: Oh- Did anyone see the crawfish in the beginning? Tiny swell of pride there.

Gun was such a good touch. Or bad touch, if your name is Moxxxi.

Kill Hannibal Lecter.

I've been fascinated with symbolism as a child, this is some wonderful poo poo.

That's a good lat exercise, right?

droey posted:

Well she realized the stitching thing on her own and didn't tell anyone else right?

Hannibal led her into looking at the stitches when he went over them with a magnifying glass with her, talking about how things can be hidden. Why not tell everyone? Why didn't they take those birds in the beginning of Lord of the Rings?

Also I'm not watching anymore, the science gently caress-up with the body freezing is the last straw. I can handle all the serial killers and the time travel, but that blatant oversight? No. Someone else will have to gif from now on becARE YOU SERIOUS WITH THIS :lol:

Bonus tattoo shots requests;

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 29, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This show looks way too good to be on NBC. Those gifs :swoon:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

Yeah, Hannibal comments that the PhD candidates he was having Alana test thought the two of them were having an affair, then asks, seemingly genuinely, 'why didn't we?'

This keeps getting brought up and everyone forgets that Alana rightly points out that Hannibal was fake-flirting with her to change the subject

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Paradox Personified posted:

Why didn't they take those birds in the beginning of Lord of the Rings?

The Great Eye of Sauron would have seen them and summoned the Witch King and the rest of the Nazgul who could have easily caught the Eagles carrying a bunch of fat-asses?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, I choose to read that last line as the start of a joke at the expense of The Following :haw:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

matrocious posted:

The Great Eye of Sauron would have seen them and summoned the Witch King and the rest of the Nazgul who could have easily caught the Eagles carrying a bunch of fat-asses?

The eye wasn't up yet?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 29, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I choose to read that last line as the start of a joke at the expense of The Following :haw:

Can you expand on this for someone who doesn't watch Following

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

matrocious posted:

Brilliant. Give that man his own loving cooking show already!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Guys, he didn't use liquid nitrogen, he used a Blast Chiller which I'm pretty sure they even showed during Will Graham's metronome flashback. It's a process common in food prep. In fact, here in Michigan if I recall correctly (some things you pick up when your father is the head of the county health inspection for several decades) Asian restaurants HAVE to use them with Sushi in order to prevent bacterial contamination. From time to time you'll see them used on Food Network on shows like Chopped where they have to make their food quickly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Can you expand on this for someone who doesn't watch Following

I don't watch it either, but my understanding is that it is about a cult of serial killers committing murders at the behest of an imprisoned serial killer. Basically an excuse for a hollow imitation of the Lecter/Starling or Lecter/Graham thing where a FBI profiler has to frequently deal with an imprisoned serial killer genius.

I like to think the line at the end of Freddie's article is,"Of course, a cult of serial killers is obviously ridiculous and nobody with any sense would ever credit the idea."

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Choco1980 posted:

Guys, he didn't use liquid nitrogen, he used a Blast Chiller which I'm pretty sure they even showed during Will Graham's metronome flashback. It's a process common in food prep. In fact, here in Michigan if I recall correctly (some things you pick up when your father is the head of the county health inspection for several decades) Asian restaurants HAVE to use them with Sushi in order to prevent bacterial contamination. From time to time you'll see them used on Food Network on shows like Chopped where they have to make their food quickly.

At one of the largest pork processing plants I work with, they have a blast freezer that can freeze 300 lb carcasses within four or five hours. Then they run then through the line and slice all the cuts with saws nearly exactly the same as the ones they showed. In fact, any that get cut and the skin is damaged or flesh is mangled get thrown out: technically they can be used under USDA rules, but this plant doesn't even try, they get used for other things or, as is the case with most of the parts that aren't used, get sent to China.

Tl,dr: it's improbable, but not impossible. The clothes present a problem, but I've witnessed 21,000 carcasses twice a person's weight undergo the same process a day

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
If you guys haven't been watching The Following, you really have to. It's the best worst show on television right now and absolutely mesmerizing.

It's the anti-Hannibal in all the best ways possible :allears:

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

SaxMaverick posted:

At one of the largest pork processing plants I work with, they have a blast freezer that can freeze 300 lb carcasses within four or five hours. Then they run then through the line and slice all the cuts with saws nearly exactly the same as the ones they showed. In fact, any that get cut and the skin is damaged or flesh is mangled get thrown out: technically they can be used under USDA rules, but this plant doesn't even try, they get used for other things or, as is the case with most of the parts that aren't used, get sent to China.

Tl,dr: it's improbable, but not impossible. The clothes present a problem, but I've witnessed 21,000 carcasses twice a person's weight undergo the same process a day

I dont know anything about food processing but but but SCIENCE because of REASONS

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Paradox Personified posted:

I've been fascinated with symbolism as a child, this is some wonderful poo poo.

Oh my god the lighting in this shot and how it looks like Will is being reborn into a fallen angel.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

I don't watch it either, but my understanding is that it is about a cult of serial killers committing murders at the behest of an imprisoned serial killer. Basically an excuse for a hollow imitation of the Lecter/Starling or Lecter/Graham thing where a FBI profiler has to frequently deal with an imprisoned serial killer genius.

Your understanding is way off. And I've been a fervent hate-watcher of that show since the first episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

Your understanding is way off. And I've been a fervent hate-watcher of that show since the first episode.

But my understanding that it is a terrible, terrible, terrible show is correct, right?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

But my understanding that it is a terrible, terrible, terrible show is correct, right?

It's been embracing its campiness and dark humor, and has turned around a bit lately. It's a nice dose of Monday night silliness since Sleepy Hollow isn't on anymore.

It's not Dexter-bad. Dexter was a chore to slog through, even though it resulted in a lot of hilarious hate-watching moments. But this is a show you actually look forward to hate-watching. You love/hate-watch it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

matrocious posted:

I rewound that three times, wondering if he really did that or if it was clever editing.

Either way, I want to make eggs like that sometime...

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
In the blooper reel, you see him do a billion takes of it.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

The blooper reel for S1 has a few of him trying to do the potato and Dancy laughs his rear end off alongside Mads. By the end of this series, I imagine we'll have a ton of potato drop/egg drop shots to intermix with a metric fuckton of actual human brains flying up and tumbling down onto a Damacles sword or something.
⇣⇣ Weren't so many of us hoping that about the Jack/fight/Bev scenes before the season started? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Preview Talk: I really hope the Alannibal scene is a misdirect from Will's imagination.

• Locked thread