Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thwomp posted:

His motivation for breaking up is realizing that Ollie is right about his rage.

Yeah this is the real dumb part. I can kind of see Ollie being hosed up and not seeing that Roy's relationship with Thea is what is helping him keep the rage in check, but Roy not saying that when Ollie dropped that ultimatum is just dumb writing for the sake of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

WarLocke posted:

Yeah this is the real dumb part. I can kind of see Ollie being hosed up and not seeing that Roy's relationship with Thea is what is helping him keep the rage in check, but Roy not saying that when Ollie dropped that ultimatum is just dumb writing for the sake of drama.

Probably because he realizes that Thea's brother cares more about Thea's safety than Roy's stability.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Avulsion posted:

Probably because he realizes that Thea's brother cares more about Thea's safety than Roy's stability.

If he cared about Thea's safety then he probably shouldn't be insisting on something that would make Roy more likely to lose control, is the point I was making.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

WarLocke posted:

If he cared about Thea's safety then he probably shouldn't be insisting on something that would make Roy more likely to lose control, is the point I was making.

But it doesn't matter if Roy loses control if he's not around Thea, is the point.

Except then the other point was that apparently she would have been safer being protected by an unstable mirakuru user that might turn dangerous at any time, rather than captured by a mirakuru user who is definitely dangerous all of the time.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The Thea-break-up will most likely be a catalyst for him getting his Roy'd Rage in check. He doesn't want to be apart from her and she sees right through it, so he has to learn to control it.

Unless of course Mr. Wilson picks her up in his Lambo, I guess.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

XboxPants posted:

But it doesn't matter if Roy loses control if he's not around Thea, is the point.

And as we see later in the episode, Thea is not going to let him stay away anyway, so now Ollie has put more stress on Roy, made him more likely to lose control, and he is still right there near her where he can hurt her after losing control.

So Ollie has pretty much made things categorically worse.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

WarLocke posted:

And as we see later in the episode, Thea is not going to let him stay away anyway, so now Ollie has put more stress on Roy, made him more likely to lose control, and he is still right there near her

What makes you think Roy's still working at the club?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Considering what happened with Slade, Arrow took a pretty big gamble not putting Roy down right at the beginning.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Roy may be super strong and tough now, but he doesn't have Slade's training. Ollie probably thinks he has a better chance to taking him down if he goes bad, and he's probably right.

XboxPants posted:

What makes you think Roy's still working at the club?

She outright tells Ollie she knows Roy set up the girl kissing thing to try to push her away. She wasn't upset at that, she was upset that Roy wouldn't tell her WHY he was doing it. I, at least, got the vibe that she was hurt but wasn't planning on just letting Roy walk away.

And of course this whole thing will make the eventual mega-reveal about everyone lying to her even worse.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

WarLocke posted:

She outright tells Ollie she knows Roy set up the girl kissing thing to try to push her away. She wasn't upset at that, she was upset that Roy wouldn't tell her WHY he was doing it. I, at least, got the vibe that she was hurt but wasn't planning on just letting Roy walk away.

Unless she quits her job, that's still 8 more hours a day while she's working that they're seperated. Roy can't guarantee he'll never be near Thea again but he can reduce those meet-ups to a minimal amount, and that's meaningful. I mean, what, is she gonna follow him around for hours and breaks into his house and refuse to leave, every day? Even Thea'd give up eventually.

But it's all totally moot because she was immediately kidnapped so I guess I'll give it a rest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Slade can't recruit Roy because Roy doesn't hate team arrow, also Slade wants to KILL all of Ollie's friends and family, and why would Roy want to do that?

Roy's normal until he gets angry, so it's not like he's evil. I can't see anyone being 'recruited' by Slade to gently caress with ollie.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, she is one of the most level-headed characters but let's not forget that literally everyone in her life is lying to her in some fashion. There is no way that point will not come up, and there is no way it won't devestate her when it does.

On top of that, it's not like everyone is lying to her about little stuff. Her mother is keeping the fact that her father wasn't her biological father from her, Ollie is keeping the fact that he's the vigilante who (until recently) went out and murdered the poo poo out of dudes at night, and her ex-boyfriend is hiding the fact that he's injected with super steroids and is an inch away from slipping and murdering someone with his bare hands.

That's some preeeeeeeetty heavy poo poo to deal with for anyone, let alone someone in their late teens/early 20's/however old Thea is supposed to be. Especially since she won't have anyone to go to if all of this poo poo comes crashing down at once.

Except Slade :getin:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ollie is really shortsighted and gives awful advice to anyone that isn't himself. He's not wise or experienced - he's a control freak. That was sort of touched upon in the Huntress episode when he apologized to her, but hilariously Ollie missed that he was doing the same thing with Roy (and everyone else). Oliver thinks he just Knows Better. I'm certain that will be part of his character growth arc at some point. I don't think it's bad writing, I think it's the point of his character arc. Time may prove me wrong though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hi Thea btw: your dad killed himself, wasn't actually your dad, was this guy who mass murdered a bunch of poor people, your brother's the Arrow, your bartender is Black Canary, and your boyfriend is hopped up on Make Me Mad and Strong drugs, your club is a front for team Arrow and everyone you know is somehow involved in shady underworld crimefighting. :thumbsup:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Oh hi Thea btw: your dad killed himself, wasn't actually your dad, was this guy who mass murdered a bunch of poor people, your brother's the Arrow, your bartender is Black Canary, and your boyfriend is hopped up on Make Me Mad and Strong drugs, your club is a front for team Arrow and everyone you know is somehow involved in shady underworld crimefighting. :thumbsup:

You know, if they wanna turn Thea into Speedy then that would be a great way of doing it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

VDay posted:

On top of that, it's not like everyone is lying to her about little stuff. Her mother is keeping the fact that her father wasn't her biological father from her, Ollie is keeping the fact that he's the vigilante who (until recently) went out and murdered the poo poo out of dudes at night, and her ex-boyfriend is hiding the fact that he's injected with super steroids and is an inch away from slipping and murdering someone with his bare hands.

That's some preeeeeeeetty heavy poo poo to deal with for anyone, let alone someone in their late teens/early 20's/however old Thea is supposed to be. Especially since she won't have anyone to go to if all of this poo poo comes crashing down at once.

Except Slade :getin:

Yeah I joked about this earlier and Slade just outright telling her would be kind of dumb, but I can see him tossing little hints and nudges at her and her starting to unravel all the lies she's been fed... :getin:

Levantine posted:

Ollie is really shortsighted and gives awful advice to anyone that isn't himself. He's not wise or experienced - he's a control freak. That was sort of touched upon in the Huntress episode when he apologized to her, but hilariously Ollie missed that he was doing the same thing with Roy (and everyone else). Oliver thinks he just Knows Better. I'm certain that will be part of his character growth arc at some point. I don't think it's bad writing, I think it's the point of his character arc. Time may prove me wrong though.

I don't think it's bad writing for Ollie; Roy not saying something like "Ollie, being with Thea is what keeps the rage in check" (especially after the scene where Ollie has to name drop Speedy to get through to Roy) is the bad writing part IMO.

zoux posted:

I think he's going to be more subtle than this and just point her in the right direction(s) to figure all this out 'on her own', but yeah it is going to be A Thing. :unsmigghh:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Seriously, does Ollie have a weekly realtionship wrecking quota?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

Seriously, does Ollie have a weekly realtionship wrecking quota?

Yes and its all.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

wrt Roy, Ollie clearly hasn't seen Frozen.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WarLocke posted:

I don't think it's bad writing for Ollie; Roy not saying something like "Ollie, being with Thea is what keeps the rage in check" (especially after the scene where Ollie has to name drop Speedy to get through to Roy) is the bad writing part IMO.

I'm not sure Roy has been written with that kind of attention to detail though. He has tried to break up with Thea several times so I don't think he feels she keeps him in check. He likes her, sure, but I don't see much evidence of him looking to her as some kind of guidepost. Also Roy is concentrated dumb anyway so even if he does feel that way, I can't imagine him articulating his feelings in that fashion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Levantine posted:

I'm not sure Roy has been written with that kind of attention to detail though. He has tried to break up with Thea several times so I don't think he feels she keeps him in check. He likes her, sure, but I don't see much evidence of him looking to her as some kind of guidepost. Also Roy is concentrated dumb anyway so even if he does feel that way, I can't imagine him articulating his feelings in that fashion.

I'll grant that Roy may not be thinking that way (or be able to articulate it if he was) but it sure seems to me as a viewer that that is the case. He's stuck in the rut of worrying about hurting her (so he pushes her away) but she clearly has a stabilizing influence on him/his rage.

Not sure if that's surprisingly deep writing/plotting on the show's part or if I'm just reading too much into it, now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

"Also your brother's black driver is his mercenary partner."

"Diggle? I trusted him!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically I'm saying if Thea totally loses her poo poo and spends the rest of her life institutionalized, I wouldn't be shocked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

Basically I'm saying if Thea totally loses her poo poo and spends the rest of her life institutionalized, I wouldn't be shocked.

:siren: Harley Quinn in the Suicide Squad episode was Future Thea brought back in time by The FlashProfessor Zoom :siren:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

WarLocke posted:

If Roy can't keep his rage in check without Thea then he's a liability for everyone. He needs to get his rage under control without any crutches if he's ever going to really be useful and normal again.

Pretty much I don't think telling Roy to cowboy up and get his poo poo together is bad writing.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Th other part to that is that even if Thea is a stabilizing influence on Roy, Roy does know he's dangerous. Note that he only tries to break up with Thea when its apparent to him that he really doesn't have that much control (when he bumped that guy in the club.). So it may be that he does think that Thea is a stabilizing influence, but can't take the risk that it's not enough.

Of course, breaking up did just make him angrier, so...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stephen is at emerald city comic con wearing a flash hat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blackchamber posted:

Stephen is at emerald city comic con wearing a flash hat.

But what about his shoes? Is he wearing a long sleeve button up shirt or a short sleeved T-shirt? How's his hair?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Drifter posted:

But what about his shoes? Is he wearing a long sleeve button up shirt or a short sleeved T-shirt? How's his hair?

Some people might be interested to know that Stephen is repping the Flash since the show tied into his and many of us are eagerly anticipating it. Its nice when celebrities do more than shill.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Blackchamber posted:

Some people might be interested to know that Stephen is repping the Flash since the show tied into his and many of us are eagerly anticipating it. Its nice when celebrities do more than shill.

I'm Stephen Amell, and I approve this message.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

W..what does he smell like....

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

W..what does he smell like....

It's a Comic Con. Smelling things is a bad idea.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

jscolon2.0 posted:

It's a Comic Con. Smelling things is a bad idea.

Does it smell bad at comic con? I always imagined it to smell like a movie theater, with popcorn and tasty fried foods.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ravane posted:

Does it smell bad at comic con? I always imagined it to smell like a movie theater, with popcorn and tasty fried foods.

:laffo:. Imagine a room full of reddit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ravane posted:

Apparently the San Diego Comic Con actually has a smell that is described as unique to that event. It's not a positive thing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If I can steer the conversation away from smell for just a second, the lines to see Stephen were the longest of all the guests. He came to his second autograph signing an hour earlier than he was scheduled. Its clear he really loves his fans, which is nice to see confirmed.

And to bring it back to smell: he admitted to having worked all morning on a shoot before coming to the con. Smelled good. You can rest at ease olfactory aficionados.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 30, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Emerald City Con has only homebrewed, artisan nerd stank.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

homo punching bag posted:

Apparently the San Diego Comic Con actually has a smell that is described as unique to that event. It's not a positive thing.

It was surprisingly non stinky at C2E2 last year.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A brief write up of Amell's panel at the ECCC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51826

He's the raddest dude on the planet :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A brief write up of Amell's panel at the ECCC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51826

He's the raddest dude on the planet :swoon:

Also confirms that they have indeed consciously abandoned the whole 'no powers' rule they initially went in with. Hopefully this means we get big bad and gruesome Grundy coming at some point, and others.

• Locked thread