Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have a Flying V bass from 2011 or so. It is in fact muddy. I put flat wounds on it because why not. It's an interesting curiosity that's fun to play through an amp with 6550s or EL34s, but I wouldn't call it a great bass.

I do like EB-2s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That's the thing. Gibson made some basses that look pretty good, and CAN have a good sound. But they didn't give a flying gently caress about playability or practicality. Case in point, the horrendous 3-point bridges.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

Is that the one that got stolen along with their entire truck full of gear? Or the most recent replacement?

Also that's the only way to make a gibson bass sound awesome. mod the gently caress out of it. I do want an old Ripper and G3 though, just because, you know, Rick Danko.

It's the stolen one. I do personally think they sound pretty good stock though. Neck position mudbuckers are great.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

FancyMike posted:

It's the stolen one. I do personally think they sound pretty good stock though. Neck position mudbuckers are great.

I have an Aria EB3 Clone dude and I love it. Sounds so much more aggressive than most bass stock, and if you just twiddle with the knobs a bit, getting a great sound wasnt that hard for me.

Though the neck humbucker is not nearly as thick as a mudbucker ie has clarity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Lovely bass :( I love how people decorate their guitars, shows love and personality.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ewe2 posted:

Lovely bass :( I love how people decorate their guitars, shows love and personality.

It's not all sad... One Mike Watt's fans almost immediately GAVE HIM a vintage EB-3, which he immediately started gutting and decorating.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Speakin of which, there's a fella online selling a used EB-3 from 1970 for like $750 (plus it's probably a half hour drive). Looks like the headstock was broken and repaired, the owner said that it wasn't a very "pretty" job but it's very stable. That said, this bass is shiny as gently caress.

How would one describe the sound and value of a bass like this? It isn't a five string, but a vintage Gibson sounds like a good main bass to overtake a Mexican Jazz.

Also, I keep losing the information, where they Hell can I find new pickups for Mexican Jazz Basses? I'd like to replace the old rusted ones eventually and get some that are wired in parallel.

Edit: there's also a Pedulla Rapture 5-string for $1250 :wtf:

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 27, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Speakin of which, there's a fella online selling a used EB-3 from 1970 for like $750 (plus it's probably a half hour drive). Looks like the headstock was broken and repaired, the owner said that it wasn't a very "pretty" job but it's very stable. That said, this bass is shiny as gently caress.

How would one describe the sound and value of a bass like this? It isn't a five string, but a vintage Gibson sounds like a good main bass to overtake a Mexican Jazz.

Also, I keep losing the information, where they Hell can I find new pickups for Mexican Jazz Basses? I'd like to replace the old rusted ones eventually and get some that are wired in parallel.

Edit: there's also a Pedulla Rapture 5-string for $1250 :wtf:

The EB-3 has a distinctive sound and short of EQing the gently caress out of it that's the sound that you're going to get out of it. 70's EBs usually go for around 1400 or 1500 so that's a solid deal.

It's lots and lots and lots of low end and low mids. The bridge pickup helps a bit but it's still muddy and round. You feel it more than you hear it, if that makes sense. Try it out and see if you like it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Honestly if you try and eq an eb3 then you should just play another bass completly. Its a love it or hate it bass. Personally I love my eb3 and play it all of the time.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Aren't all of Gibson's SG-shaped basses short scale?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

They made an eb0l which was the eb0 that was not short scale but I have never seen one before.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Aren't all of Gibson's SG-shaped basses short scale?

There was also an EB-3L that was long scale.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I like short scale because I'm lazy and don't want to reach and like the idea of having a bass that doesn't immediately take a nose dive when I am not holding it.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

I like short scale because I'm lazy and don't want to reach and like the idea of having a bass that doesn't immediately take a nose dive when I am not holding it.

my short-scale bass is the only one of mine that nose dives, all of my long scale basses are much better balanced instruments. It's all about the quality not the scale :)

Speaking of, I never did solve my Harmony H22's nose diving problems :( that big strap gave me a nasty rash.. although I didn't try that carabiner trick that someone posted. I guess it's not a big deal since I never gig with it (it's too fragile/loved dearly). Actually speaking of the H22, its time for some new flat wounds, I think I'll give chromes a try this time, or LaBella.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there an easy explanation of what makes a Bossa Nova bassline sound like Bossa-Nova? I'm trying to put something towards Blue Bossa (baby's first standard :)) and while I'm not yet ready for a full walking bassline, I'm just not sure what characteristics I should be trying to evoke.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bossa Nova doesn't use a walking bassline, it's root-five all the way. Listen to some Antonio Carlos Jobim, maybe some of the later Maysa stuff, and you should get the idea.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Bossa Nova doesn't use a walking bassline, it's root-five all the way. Listen to some Antonio Carlos Jobim, maybe some of the later Maysa stuff, and you should get the idea.

While it may not be a "traditional" walking line, and a lot more syncopated, you can still "walk" the progression within that context. I do it all the time with Blue Bossa

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Stravinsky posted:

Well designed basses, with the top horn around the 12th fret, don't dive regardless of what scale they are.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I know, I just find that there are more short scales that are designed "correctly". Looking at you Thunderbird.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Someone mentioned Wishnevsky basses on the last page as being particularly mockable. Here's mine:

Yes, the shape is kinda weird, but I think it's a really cool piece of wood. The world of handmade, left-handed fretless basses you can get for $300 is pretty small, so there it is.

Edit: here's another picture.

Actuary X fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stravinsky posted:

I know, I just find that there are more short scales that are designed "correctly". Looking at you Thunderbird.

An unfortunate side effect of "yeah the guitar but bigger" design philosophy

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wow. That bass looks like it washed up on the seashore.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone here play a Dingwall? I'm eyeing off the new NG-2 Combustion but I've never played with fanned frets before.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I got a bass and rocksmith on friday. I've been playing for about 5 hours total, and my fingers now hurt like hell.
I can't switch frets fast enough anymore, because of the pain.
My fingers are some weak rear end poo poo.

On the other hand I almost know pour some sugar on me by heart, but it's also maybe the easiest song ever to play on bass so...

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Take a break when it starts to hurt please or you will gently caress up your hands.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Quick question: Is the VT Bass Deluxe the same circuit as the regular VT Bass just with extra features added on? Like side-by-side if I have them both set the same w/o any other stuff engaged are they going to sound identical? I got used to recording with a friend's VT Bass and can get a good deal on a Deluxe.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Digital Jesus posted:

Anyone here play a Dingwall? I'm eyeing off the new NG-2 Combustion but I've never played with fanned frets before.

I put my deposit down for a Super P about 3 months ago, after trying a Super J and Combustion at Long and McQuade. It literally took me less than a minute to adjust to the fanned frets, and it was immediately apparent to me that the Super J was the best bass I had ever tried. The 37" B on the Combustion was pretty awe-inspiring, but I didn't like the shape of the neck, and I also prefer the shorter scale of the Super series for the higher strings.

I'm not sure if the NG-2 has the same neck carve as the other Combustions, though.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 2, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

himajinga posted:

Quick question: Is the VT Bass Deluxe the same circuit as the regular VT Bass just with extra features added on? Like side-by-side if I have them both set the same w/o any other stuff engaged are they going to sound identical? I got used to recording with a friend's VT Bass and can get a good deal on a Deluxe.

You only get presets memorised with the deluxe version, unless it's for very specific reasons the regular is more than worth it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Juaguocio posted:

I put my deposit down for a Super P about 3 months ago, after trying a Super J and Combustion at Long and McQuade. It literally took me less than a minute to adjust to the fanned frets, and it was immediately apparent to me that the Super J was the best bass I had ever tried. The 37" B on the Combustion was pretty awe-inspiring, but I didn't like the shape of the neck, and I also prefer the shorter scale of the Super series for the higher strings.

I'm not sure if the NG-2 has the same neck carve as the other Combustions, though.

I think the body and neck are the same, it's just the pickups (2xFD3n pups at the bridge) and the Darkglass Electronics preamp that are different.

OH and the colour options. I have now officially preordered one in Ferrari Green... Nobody tell my wife :ohdear:

:getin:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Digital Jesus posted:

I think the body and neck are the same, it's just the pickups (2xFD3n pups at the bridge) and the Darkglass Electronics preamp that are different.

OH and the colour options. I have now officially preordered one in Ferrari Green... Nobody tell my wife :ohdear:

Do you mind me asking how much it cost? I can't find prices anywhere on their site

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

$1999 Aussie funbux from Bass Gear Direct, with a Dingwall gig bag. I think RRP is around $1800 Canadian dollars.

I'm not going to see it until September but I'm so psyched for it (their first shipment, due in June, sold out in a couple of days).

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Odddzy posted:

You only get presets memorised with the deluxe version, unless it's for very specific reasons the regular is more than worth it.

Yes, but it sounds identical, right? I can get the Deluxe for $100 which is what the regulars go for used around here. If it sounds identical then I'm gonna snag it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Is there an easy explanation of what makes a Bossa Nova bassline sound like Bossa-Nova? I'm trying to put something towards Blue Bossa (baby's first standard :)) and while I'm not yet ready for a full walking bassline, I'm just not sure what characteristics I should be trying to evoke.

Coincidentally I was hunting around a while ago for some transcriptions of Blue Bossa and I found this on some weird forum in Polish or something. I saved it for reference. It's all one-five, pretty straightforward.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Digital Jesus posted:

That's gonna be a great bass. My one complaint about the Dingwalls I tried was that the pickups were maybe a little thin sounding, and the new FD3s are supposed to sound massive. My Super P will have one in the bridge.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Nolly giving a rundown of his rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMxbP1V3WBo I'm not really a fan of his tone, but he shows off some sick basses.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Juaguocio posted:

That's gonna be a great bass. My one complaint about the Dingwalls I tried was that the pickups were maybe a little thin sounding, and the new FD3s are supposed to sound massive. My Super P will have one in the bridge.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Nolly giving a rundown of his rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMxbP1V3WBo I'm not really a fan of his tone, but he shows off some sick basses.

That's a ton of gear to make oneself completely disappear in the mix. Agreed on the tone, sounds awful to me. He's pretty good though, and those basses are pretty enviable.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I've seen the video, it was the reason I bought the bass actually. I like Nolly's tone and I'm a Periphery fan, but I'm certainly not trying to emulate it or anything... I was already looking at a Combustion and liked the colour options, plus those new pickups are supposed to be the tits as you said.

Edit: vvv I have an SR505 as my current bass as well vvv

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 4, 2014

tentril
May 9, 2012
I was thinking about asking the thread about Dingwalls a few days ago. It's the only time I've seen an instrument and couldn't stop thinking about it. I've been playing an Ibanez sr505 for around five years and want to get a fretless next, but I'm incredibly tempted to save up and get a Dingwall instead.

EDIT: I feel like I should add more to discussion so I'm curious to know what people think are some good metal bass tones. Personally I enjoy less distortion since it's really easy to push it too far and then you can't discern notes. Mark Michell of Scale the Summit and Tetrafusion is a good example of this I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0b8UCYjF3g

tentril fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 4, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
David Ellefson springs to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ate4_u8YP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfD3pqewobA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oah2HSQlps

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Steve Harris aw yeh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWiEvhgDdCw