Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
what's in Dogs.java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Tiny Bug Child posted:

because i am a computing professional and i use professional tools for my job, not $39.99 shareware that does the same thing but worse

*writes a PHP*

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Damiya posted:

*writes a PHP*

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Damiya posted:

*writes a PHP*

Nice!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jony ive aces posted:

what's in Dogs.java

it was an assignment to make modifications to a lovely swing application involving JDBC/SQL to display stuff about dogs and dog shows

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 30, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Valeyard posted:

it was an assignment to make modifications to a lovely swing application involving JDBC/SQL to display stuff about dogs and dog shows

Post the dog data

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

Post the dog data

it was, unfortunately, a pitiful amount of data that wasn't sufficient enough to test all of the added features

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

insufficient dog data, smdh

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if they had both been sql server, a single query/sp could have touched both databases :smug:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Damiya posted:

*writes a PHP*

LUL!!! LOL!!! This guy is using a widely respected industry standard language to do his job. Laughing my loving rear end off here.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ragg posted:

LUL!!! LOL!!! This guy is using a widely respected industry standard language to do his job. Laughing my loving rear end off here.

this except unironically

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ragg posted:

hee respected

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i had a phone interview today. the guy seemed impressed by my tf2 hat and eve online credentials. he was also impressed when i told him about my latest hobby, embedded programming, and talked about using erlang on the raspberry pi. he asked me about availability and salary and everything.

he said i'm 1 of 4 they're considering and they'll get back to me next week

i hope i get it yospos :ohdear:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
pm me if you know UI and want to do angular/d3 type stuff and aren't stupid and live in bay area or austin and want to work on a chill team relatively isolated from the rest of the massive well known corporation

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
when you search for "java dictionary", you get a lot of results about the programming construct. is there a standard/common/widespread package for searching/randomly selecting words from a dictionary? or do you just suck up /usr/dict/words?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prefect posted:

when you search for "java dictionary", you get a lot of results about the programming construct. is there a standard/common/widespread package for searching/randomly selecting words from a dictionary? or do you just suck up /usr/dict/words?
if you're using a modern computer, yeah just suck /usr/dict/words up into an arraylist. a megabyte or two aint no thing, and java's binarySearch() will work just fine over it.

if you want the results to be machine independent, serialize that array back to a local file, which you can read in in future.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

kraftwerk singles posted:

pm me if you know UI and want to do angular/d3 type stuff and aren't stupid and live in bay area or austin and want to work on a chill team relatively isolated from the rest of the massive well known corporation

cool i want 160

more if i were to be in sf and not austin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
if i were stark raving mad and decided to try to write a twitter application that behaved the way i wanted it to, would i be completely insane if i used java to write it? like, a java desktop application, not a web application

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you'd never get twitter to agree to it.

they basically EOL'ed every twitter client out there that wasn't their own, and are big a-holes about those clients displaying things the same way twitter's client does.

so writing a new twitter client would be a huge waste of time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Block posted:

you'd never get twitter to agree to it.

they basically EOL'ed every twitter client out there that wasn't their own, and are big a-holes about those clients displaying things the same way twitter's client does.

so writing a new twitter client would be a huge waste of time.

i know they don't like competition -- this would only be for my own use

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

prefect posted:

i know they don't like competition -- this would only be for my own use

the API is still available and free to use, there is nothing stopping you now other than a horrible choice of language. it sounds like the kind of thing you could pull off in under 100 lines of c#, especially of you use something like https://github.com/danielcrenna/tweetsharp and just add your own display layer,

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

its really easy, i made a little thing that showed my latest tweet in like 30 lines of python, probably less

terrible programmer question: what is actually wrong with java? verbosity? bad performance?
should i use scala instead?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can you still access the API without Twitter's approval? I was under the impression that drat near every part of it required an authorization token now.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Awia posted:

terrible programmer question: what is actually wrong with java? verbosity? bad performance?
most of the people who complain about java complain because they don't like statically-typed languages and the "boilerplate" that comes with them. while there are a few features that java could really do with in that respect (type inference and accessor sugar in particular), modern auto-completion and code generation largely obviates the problem imo. the actual problems with java mostly revolve around its primitives and its implementation of generics, but those are much less frequent complaints.

as to scala, i haven't used it but i know many of its headline features are now in java 8, so you might wanna try that first.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Awia posted:

its really easy, i made a little thing that showed my latest tweet in like 30 lines of python, probably less

java is missing some useful language features and syntactic sugar that i make use of frequently and do not like to give up. performance is roughly comparable to c# running on the CLR in windows for many real world situations but java will tend to have a heavier memory footprint. another personal bias is that i actually like visual studio and have never had a good eclipse experience.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Doc Block posted:

Can you still access the API without Twitter's approval? I was under the impression that drat near every part of it required an authorization token now.

auth tokens are are just a result of you allowing the app access, and they don't make that difficult at all.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i only program my artisinal bespoke fart apps in python anyway

ive only ever seen people complain about java but no one could ever give me a straight answer as to why they didnt like it, so thanks

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
open source hippy types like to make fun of decorators and factories and such because they've never worked on a real world project project large or complicated enough (or at all) that such patterns become useful

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just make fun of people who write factories for solving fizzbuzz

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just make fun of people who write factories for solving fizzbuzz

https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Awia posted:

people don't like java because its both good and popular. performance is very good and near c/c++, though it will use slightly more memory than a native app. the .net vm (c#) is slower, but they just released a new direct to native compiler and thats probably gonna make c# stuff fast as gently caress.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python is bad. a good rule of thumb is that if a language starts with p, it is a bad one.

another rule of thumb is to avoid anything popular amongst academics or idiot college kids because neither group understands anything.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

another rule of thumb is to avoid anything popular amongst academics or idiot college kids because neither group understands anything.

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2013/04/04/academia-and-programming-languages/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and if you ask those idiot college kids or their professors they all hate java and love python.

altho they do love c which is bad and stupid and old and no one should be using it anymore.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dang them professors always teaching in languages they hate

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

C is old as gently caress and bad as gently caress and the openssl poo poo should tell u everything u need to know about using C

viva Rust.

idk why everyone got a hardon for java in academia except for like CMu b/c gosling went there

R is not a language its a lovely api for statslibs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

dang them professors always teaching in languages they hate

it used to be they tought intro classes in real world languages cause thats what employers expected, but now days they're switching to python so recent grads are even more useless than ever.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Shaggar posted:

python is bad. a good rule of thumb is that if a language starts with p, it is a bad one.
ruby

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is an honorary p-lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

"all p langs are bad" isnt equivalent to "all things that aren't p langs are good"

• Locked thread