Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Internet Explorer posted:

Now you guys have me nervous. Will a 65L pack be big enough for 5 days in Yosemite?

65l is a good size bag but if you have big gear then it will fill up fast. Tents, food/bear bins, and sleeping bags can be the worst offenders.

Buy a bag and return it if your gear doesn't fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Now you guys have me nervous. Will a 65L pack be big enough for 5 days in Yosemite?

It really should. Especially if you are splitting up the tent. I did 5 nights on my honeymoon and we both had 55L packs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

The only major difference between 2 days and 5 days should be about 6 pounds of food.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

So are there any trail runners/hiking shoes that feature a gusseted tongue while still being fairly breathable? Taking a look at Saloman's selection, it seems like it's an either or thing. Other brands don't seem to even offer that choice.

And yes, I do use gaiters.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I'm aiming for a 35-40L pack for a month on the John Muir Trail. Less is more when hiking >10 miles/day.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately we swung by at the end of a weeklong ski trip in Colorado, and I didn't realize that they had bags you could load the packs up with. The store guy must have forgotten that part. My wife did put some pressure on the pack by pulling down on it and it is a lot better at weight management than the $5 pack I carried throughout college!

Honestly I could probably get away with a smaller pack but I would rather go slightly large and be able to do longer trips in the future. Thinking Atmos is the way to go. We already have most of our other gear; I just need a sleeping pad and a couple of articles of moisture wicking clothes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Doesn't hurt to have a bigger pack sometimes so you don't have to try to ultra compress everything to make it fit.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Honestly I could probably get away with a smaller pack but I would rather go slightly large and be able to do longer trips in the future. Thinking Atmos is the way to go. We already have most of our other gear; I just need a sleeping pad and a couple of articles of moisture wicking clothes.

If you only own one pack, this is the way to go. Don't succumb to "hey, I have room for X" like others have said, but it's convenient to have that space sometimes. I've got a 70 liter pack that I almost never fill all the way, so it's nice to be able to do things like put my sleeping pad inside it and things like that.

And in the rare instance you need a bigger pack, you've got the space.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Quick question for goons:

I was at REI yesterday and tried on a variety of packs. My wife has some backpacking experience, having done a few 3-5 day trips in college. We were thinking to start doing some weekend trips this spring, and so were looking in the 60-Liter range. The Osprey packs I tried on were my favorite, the Atmos and the Aether, and they were about in my price range.

The big plus for the Atmos appears to be the Airspeed suspension-- we live in Ohio and it can be fairly hot and humid around here. That all by itself is making me lean towards the Atmos 65. Is there a reason I should lean toward the Aether 60 or even 70? They are a bit more expensive, though they do seem to have more features. Not really sure if I would value those features or not, and I don't really have a feel for the difference in their suspension systems.

I have the Osprey Atmos 65 and I love it. It's nice to have a slightly larger pack for long trips. Like Terrifying Effigies said, just make sure that when you go on a weekend trip and there is still plenty of room in your pack, don't stuff it full of unnecessary junk. To give you an idea of what it holds in terms of gear for a weekend trip, I have a:

Marmot Trestles 15 sleeping bag
Sleeping pad strapped on the outside
Adventure Medical .7 Kit
5 L of water (3L Osprey bladder and 2 1L Camelback Eddy bottles)
Mountainsmith Morrison Tent & Footprint
GSI Pinnacle Soloist mess kit (with fuel can, lighter & MSR Pocket Rocket nested inside)
Change of underwear, socks, T-shirt
Beanie, gloves, headlamp
Baby wipes in a ziplock
Light jacket (I'm in Southern AZ so I rarely have to pack a heavier coat unless I'm doing an ascent on one of the mountains above 8,000 ft.)
A couple of backpacking meals

I still have plenty of room in the pack but make sure not to keep packing it. As you can tell, I'm also not a big weight counter. I'm OK with carrying an extra pound or two.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

5 liters of water jesus christ were are you camping

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Levitate posted:

5 liters of water jesus christ were are you camping

It sounds like southern Arizona.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I somehow missed that because I'm a moron

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Levitate posted:

Yeah I somehow missed that because I'm a moron

Yeah, there's very little water sources unless you're up in the mountains. If I'm doing an ascent, I will just carry my bladder and my water treatment.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Osprey Atmos 65 seems pretty popular - by the time I got the the local REI at 1 PM today they were already cleaned out, along with the Exos :v:

At least in store delivery is pretty quick, should have it arrive for pickup by next Thursday.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the feedback about the Atmos 65 being big enough for a 5 day trip in Yosemite. My wife and I are going in June for our honeymoon and we are stoked!

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.
Anyone here have any experience doing the full length of the Hoh River Trail in Olympic NP? I'm heading out there in late May, and I'm wondering what to expect snow-wise once we get near the end. NPS says bring an ice axe, but I can't find anyone else talking about using one.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Went to a local hiking store yesterday and ended up with the Aether 60. Whoops! It just had so many more gadgets and I thought it was a bit more comfortable than the Atmos, especially with weight in it. Never mind that it was $50 more.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Marman1209 posted:

Anyone here have any experience doing the full length of the Hoh River Trail in Olympic NP? I'm heading out there in late May, and I'm wondering what to expect snow-wise once we get near the end. NPS says bring an ice axe, but I can't find anyone else talking about using one.

I've done it late May, and it's pretty weather dependent since you may still get some good snow coming in. There's probably going to still be snow at the higher elevations like along the High Divide and parts of Bogachiel that would be nice to have crampons for, I don't know if an ice axe would be necessary since the trails are pretty well graded and well maintained, I'd call one of the ranger stations a little closer to your trip date and get some more info. At the very worst, bring it and if they recommend taking it, go for it. Otherwise, just leave it in the car. It's really scenic, and if there's a little bad weather it's actually good because the crowds go WAY down along the Hoh Trail. On a nice day, the first few miles of that can be a circus.

Oh, seems unlikely but if there's a serious windstorm in the weather, just call it off. When I was there in May several years ago, there had just been a big storm there and I saw a bunch of huge HUGE trees knocked over, taking out several hundred feet of forest with them on the way down. I can't imagine how terrifying being out there in that storm would have been.

Discomancer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 29, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I went to patch my thermarest today and in addition to the one relatively large hole which I knew about, I found not one, not two, but eleven additional pin prick holes. :effort:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Saint Fu posted:

I went to patch my thermarest today and in addition to the one relatively large hole which I knew about, I found not one, not two, but eleven additional pin prick holes. :effort:

Every time I think about replacing my old army foam pad with something new, I bump into a thermarest owner complaining about their bed deflating.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

Discomancer posted:

I've done it late May, and it's pretty weather dependent since you may still get some good snow coming in. There's probably going to still be snow at the higher elevations like along the High Divide and parts of Bogachiel that would be nice to have crampons for, I don't know if an ice axe would be necessary since the trails are pretty well graded and well maintained, I'd call one of the ranger stations a little closer to your trip date and get some more info. At the very worst, bring it and if they recommend taking it, go for it. Otherwise, just leave it in the car. It's really scenic, and if there's a little bad weather it's actually good because the crowds go WAY down along the Hoh Trail. On a nice day, the first few miles of that can be a circus.

Oh, seems unlikely but if there's a serious windstorm in the weather, just call it off. When I was there in May several years ago, there had just been a big storm there and I saw a bunch of huge HUGE trees knocked over, taking out several hundred feet of forest with them on the way down. I can't imagine how terrifying being out there in that storm would have been.

We're aiming to hike up to glacier meadows to see Blue Glacier, which I think is a bit less of a snow issue than high divide...? Working off of assumptions from reading the internet though.

I was kinda planning to bring them and ask rangers what they think of the conditions when we're there, but I'm buying such a mountain of gear for this trip I was really hoping I could skip snow stuff. I might see if I can borrow a set though.

Can I actually get away with not using a bear can along the trail? Seems like most of the sites have bear wires in place to hang bags.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Marman1209 posted:

Can I actually get away with not using a bear can along the trail? Seems like most of the sites have bear wires in place to hang bags.

They are mandatory in certain areas and if you are planning to be in those areas then don't try to bypass the rules. The bear cans work against all other kinds of animals like raccoons which it sounds like they have a problem with near the coast. You don't want this epic trip that you spent a good deal of time and money planning and gearing up for being cut short because critters got into your food.

Don't buy a bear can though, just rent one at the park or a nearby outdoor store. Check their site to make sure you get an approved one and you may have to present it to the rangers when getting your permits. For what it's worth I like the bear vault brand because they are lighter, easy to see the contents and completely cylindrical with a wider opening but they can be tricky to open. Having something with a hard edge helps to press the tabs. The Garcia cans are barrel shaped, non transparent and heavy but really solid and easy to open with something like a nickel or a knife.

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-food-storage.htm#CP_JUMP_30421

Sol Duc River/High Divide/7 Lakes Basin Loopincluding all camps adjacent to and enclosed by the Deer Lake Trail, High Divide Trail, and Sol Duc River Trail (High Divide Loop), and adjacent camps along the Mink Lake Trail, East High Divide Trail, and Cat Basin area.

Royal Basin area - including Royal Lake and Upper Royal Basin

All other areas where food cannot be hung at least 12 ft. high and 10 ft. out from the nearest tree trunk including the Bailey Range and other high elevation areas where trees are not suitable for hanging food.

The entire Wilderness Coast

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
This is kind of a specific request, but does anyone know of a hike in southern New York / northern New Jersey / western Connecticut that features a lot of springtime wildflowers? I'm dying to see a color that isn't brown or dull green or flat gray. (Though I probably have to wait at least another month.)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good blog or forum that people would recommend for the AT?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

whiteblaze.net and reddit.com/r/appalachiantrail

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

This is kind of a specific request, but does anyone know of a hike in southern New York / northern New Jersey / western Connecticut that features a lot of springtime wildflowers? I'm dying to see a color that isn't brown or dull green or flat gray. (Though I probably have to wait at least another month.)

Good resource for that area: http://www.nynjtc.org

Sterling Forest State Park has some nice hiking. The mountain laurels around the lakes in Harriman State Park are spectacular, but they won't bloom until late May or early June.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
Hey, so I'm about to buy a permit for climbing Mt. St. Helens for June 25. Anyone wanna join me?

e: it's more of a hike than a climb btw, no ropes, axes or ladders etc. needed

Zen Punk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 31, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Feedbacker posted:

Good resource for that area: http://www.nynjtc.org

Sterling Forest State Park has some nice hiking. The mountain laurels around the lakes in Harriman State Park are spectacular, but they won't bloom until late May or early June.

The Trail Conference doesn't have wildflowers as a filtering option, so I thought it would be more efficient to ask for recommendations first. That said, I always forget they have hundreds of hike suggestions that aren't on my map sets.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm going hiking in Machu Picchu (20 to 30F at night) in June and I'm trying to figure out my sleeping bag situation. I've got a Kelty Celestial 55
Degree Sleeping Bag since I'm living in Panama. I'd like to put a liner in it so that I don't have to buy a new sleeping bag. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've got no idea what to buy and don't want to end up freezing my rear end off at night.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

huhu posted:

I'm going hiking in Machu Picchu (20 to 30F at night) in June and I'm trying to figure out my sleeping bag situation. I've got a Kelty Celestial 55
Degree Sleeping Bag since I'm living in Panama. I'd like to put a liner in it so that I don't have to buy a new sleeping bag. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've got no idea what to buy and don't want to end up freezing my rear end off at night.

Other than layering your rear end off I'd say just pick up a cheap synthetic 20 degree bag. Porters will carry most of your stuff anyway so size need not be a consideration.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The rating is for survival, not comfort, so you'll be cold and miserable unless you get a bag with a lower rating than what you expect to sleep comfortably in.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Marman1209 posted:

I was kinda planning to bring them and ask rangers what they think of the conditions when we're there, but I'm buying such a mountain of gear for this trip I was really hoping I could skip snow stuff.

Do this. You won't need crampons if you're not going out on the glacier, but the washout sucks if there's snow on it. Last year there was a ton of snow way late into the season, no idea how this year is gonna be, but 9" of rain in March usually means a lot of snow in the Olympics. Call ahead the week of to see how conditions are, and then call the day before you head up there.

Hope it's not too wet for you, I was gonna climb Olympus last year, but stopped for weather.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Anybody know the best dayhikes from the Green River in Canyonlands National Park? It's about a month away now and I trust you guys a lot for recommendations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you ever wanted to hike the AT with a conga line of bears behind you? Eno bacon scented hammock coming soon :toot:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/introducing-the-bacon-scented-doublenest-hammock/

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

UglyDucklett posted:

Have you ever wanted to hike the AT with a conga line of bears behind you? Eno bacon scented hammock coming soon :toot:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/introducing-the-bacon-scented-doublenest-hammock/

That's awesome :v: These joke products are the best part of April Fool's day.
Now we just need an emergency whistle that sounds like a distressed animal .

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

UglyDucklett posted:

At least we won't have to dig poop holes anymore.

Jetboil Announces Breakthrough BioBoil Camping Stove and Power Recharging Products

http://sectionhiker.com/jetboil-announces-breakthrough-bioboil-camping-stove-and-power-recharging-products/

quote:

Designed for use in crowded national parks, forests, and on national scenic trails, “the BioBoil will help preserve our National Wilderness Areas for future generations,” says JetBoil co-founder and Chief Leave No Trace Officer Dwight Aspinwall, where the accumulation and disposal of solid human waste is an increasingly overwhelming and complex economic issue. “The Jetboil BioBoil camping stove provides a unique and environmentally sound way to dispose of human waste by tapping it a renewable energy source and reducing it to sanitized ash which can be safely dispersed in backcountry areas with minimal impact.

Available in a Group Cooking System (GCS) and a Personal Cooking System (PCS) sizes, the BioBoil stove system is backwardly compatible with all existing JetBoil stove systems. Shaped like a regular Jetboil gas canister, the BioBoil Fuel Cell unscrews at the bottom enabling users to scoop solid waste into its internal recycling compartment. The screw off-bottom also serves doubly duty as a cat hole trowel for those occasions when human waste burial is preferred in backcountry areas with reduced visitor usage.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tigren posted:

At least we won't have to dig poop holes anymore.

Jetboil Announces Breakthrough BioBoil Camping Stove and Power Recharging Products

Oh my goodness that's even better.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoops, quote isn't edit

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Turns out quote is still not edit!

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

The NY/NJ Trail Conference even sent an email. It's cute. Click for the rest.