Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

coco bryce posted:

Is it possible to play a game of Waterdeep that is both pass-and-play local as well as online? Ex: A & B are playing in the same room by passing a device, while C is playing on separate device from afar.
I don't think so, sadly. It doesn't even support multiplayer over Wi-Fi :(

Eclipse also just went on sale. People seemed broadly upbeat about it when it came out; still worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Wamdoodle posted:

Real quick, has anyone grabbed the expansion?

The Undermountain is pretty much more of the same. Three new board spaces, a number of new lords, intrigue cards, and buildings, all with a tad bit more complexity then the base game. At some point the Skullport expansion should hit too, which will add more including a corruption mechanic that allows for very powerful actions with a potential loss of points.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TACD posted:

Eclipse also just went on sale. People seemed broadly upbeat about it when it came out; still worth getting?
Single player and pass-and-play, sure. Online multiplayer was terrible the one time I tried. Not sure if it's been touched, but knowing Big Daddy, I'd say no.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Is there anywhere in the Lords of Waterdeep app that explains what the half-moon symbol is? I eventually figured out it represented 5 gold but it was really confusing for a while.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

They didn't update the rules to explain the symbol, and to make matters worse it's only on the Undermountain stuff, so it's possible to have elements with 5+ single gold symbols mixed with elements with the half moon to make it a tad more confusing.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

They don't explain it in the normal expansion rules for the real board game either. But that is because the moon shape coins exist in the base game sans expansions, to represent 5 coins, so there's no need to explain it in the expansion.

Because in an video game there's no need for a 5 gold coin (you're never going to run out of singles as you might in the board game with a finite supply) they never bothered including the symbol in the IOS game. Now they have to, in order to fit the symbols for 8-12 coins on a single card. Could have just stayed with the 8xcoin symbol they used for a couple of base game cards, really.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Is it that much of a problem? I didn't know what it meant either

until I had 5 coins and the game told me by highlighting my crescent cards.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Zigmidge posted:

until I had 5 coins and the game told me by highlighting my crescent cards.

Yeah that's how I eventually figured it out. But for a while I thought it might be some weird conditional thing, like not having the castle, or completed quest of same type on previous action.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

It's not really a problem as much as it's a weird inconsistency between the base game and the expansion.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ra, Tigris and Euphrates, and Le Havre are all on sale for 99 c

Edit: as is Tikal

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

xian posted:

Ra, Tigris and Euphrates, and Le Havre are all on sale for 99 c

Edit: as is Tikal

Here's some links to the games on sale.

GrandpaPants posted:

The following games are $1 for iOS:

Le Havre
Tikal
Ra
Tigris and Euphrates
A Brief History of the World
Medici
Medici HD

Most of these are stock standard Euros that are all at least "pretty good," plus or minus for personal tastes. I have no idea how well implemented they are for mobile devices though, but as a counterpoint, they are a dollar each.

From the boardgame deals thread.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The what?!

:monocle: Oh, my...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zigmidge posted:

Until I had 5 coins and the game told me by highlighting my crescent cards.

I thought it was worth 4 coins for a while because I'm bad at math. :ohdear:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I picked up Le Havre and Ra. I know nothing about the other games. Should I snag any others?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Sharzak posted:

I guess in light of that I'll ask--what's a good Waterdeep score? I got something in the 130s vs 4 medium AI today but it seems like I have a lot of room to improve

I've gotten something like 175 or 180 a few times, but thats only when I've pulled off 20+ quests by the skin of my teeth in the last round. A big part of the game is denying point scoring opportunities from the opponents. Try to figure out what types of quests they are going for(or if they are trying to build each round, if you take the build space a few times it will really destroy their point scoring) and also be aware that there are some generally amazing quests out there that you should prioritize getting if for no other reason than to prevent opponents from getting them.

i.e.
quest that gives you a bonus piece to place each round(not really great unless you can use it before turn 6 or 7)
quest that lets you play a piece in an already occupied space(also not really great unless you can use it before turn 6 or 7)
quest that allows you to build without placing a piece in the build space

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I find the single best quest right now with the expansion is the one that allows you to complete any face up quest on the board. You never need to waste a turn on quest cards or buildings and you can focus on racking up resources and intrigue cards.

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

I find the single best quest right now with the expansion is the one that allows you to complete any face up quest on the board. You never need to waste a turn on quest cards or buildings and you can focus on racking up resources and intrigue cards.

I severely underrated this card, I had it in my opener and didn't finish it until round 7, and then I felt very dumb. Its very good. I think the one that puts all of the buildings in the builders hall into play under your control might be better though, since you get all of the VP on those buildings as well.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Jesus, I haven't even seen that card yet. I'm inclined to agree with you!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Malt posted:

I picked up Le Havre and Ra. I know nothing about the other games. Should I snag any others?

If you don't have Tigris & Euphrates, you should get it. One of The Best Games.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

If you don't have Tigris & Euphrates, you should get it. One of The Best Games.
This is one of the many games I've bought at some point but never really played. Yes, I have a backlog of virtual boardgames :ohdear:

Which got me thinking: What if we had a 'game of the month' each month, to encourage us to get / learn / play some of the less-often played games in the OP? There's several games in the OP I'd like to play but I can't quite bring myself to play through and remember the whole tutorial; learning and playing with other people would be much more fun.

Good idea / bad idea / couldn't care less?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

TACD posted:

This is one of the many games I've bought at some point but never really played. Yes, I have a backlog of virtual boardgames :ohdear:

Which got me thinking: What if we had a 'game of the month' each month, to encourage us to get / learn / play some of the less-often played games in the OP? There's several games in the OP I'd like to play but I can't quite bring myself to play through and remember the whole tutorial; learning and playing with other people would be much more fun.

I think that's a good idea. We definitely go through game fads in the groupme channel, may as well make it official.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

lol (against hard AI, w/ Undermountain)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Quickpull posted:

I think that's a good idea. We definitely go through game fads in the groupme channel, may as well make it official.

I agree!

Can we make Le Havre the first game of the month just because I never get to play enough Le Havre.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

TACD posted:

Count me in. I have quite a few games that I haven't played yet or only played a couple of times.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

btw the absolute best quests in Skullport: Recruit for City Watch (great return on investment), Study in the Librarium (chain Intrigue cards together), Deal With the Black Viper (fun)

best Intrigue card is Open Lord. It makes you invulnerable to like 65% of other Intrigue cards, inc. Mandatory Quests. loving amazing

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Eclipse or Waterdeep? Both are $5 right now. Pros/cons of each?

durty
Jan 28, 2009
Waterdeep for sure

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Waterdeep is more fun, easier to play, and has a good multiplayer setup

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Waterdeep wins that one in every category. Flawless victory.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Owning both, I agree with these posts.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got Waterdeep, how in the hell did I not find this gem before now...

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yah, Waterdeep hands down. It is, along with Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Agricola, one of the reasons no board gamer should be without an iPad.

Seriously, everyone who likes board games enough to read this thread should own these four games.

With an honorable mention for Ascension

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
In Waterdeep, sometimes it seems that i'm unable to play on the "Builder's Hall", even though no-one else has used it that round and I've got enough cash to buy a new building…is there some other requirement?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 29, 2014

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I like Eclipse!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Eclipse is a good game, it just doesn't have as good an ios implementation

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Can we make Le Havre the first game of the month just because I never get to play enough Le Havre.

Sounds good, what with it currently being on sale for $1 and all.

- - - - - - - - - -

Game of the month for April:
Le Havre

quote:

In Le Havre, a player’s turn consists of two parts: First, distribute newly supplied goods onto the offer spaces; then take an action. As an action, players may choose either to take all goods of one type from an offer space or to use one of the available buildings. Building actions allow players to upgrade goods, sell them or use them to build their own buildings and ships. Buildings are both an investment opportunity and a revenue stream, as players must pay an entry fee to use buildings that they do not own. Ships, on the other hand, are primarily used to provide the food that is needed to feed the workers.

After every seven turns, the round ends: players’ cattle and grain may multiply through a Harvest, and players must feed their workers. After a fixed number of rounds, each player may carry out one final action, and then the game ends. Players add the value of their buildings and ships to their cash reserves. The player who has amassed the largest fortune is the winner.

Le Havre isn’t massively dissimilar to either Agricola or Lords of Waterdeep, in that you’ll be taking turns to either collect a particular resource or use a player-constructed building, and you’ll be vying with people to claim the resources / buildings you want the most.

I’ve played through the tutorial of Le Havre on the iPad (never played the cardboard version) and that’s about it - it’s a good tutorial which will take you through a basic game, but there are far more buildings available in a full game which opens up a lot more strategic potential. It’s a Universal app, but it’s fair to say the iPhone version is a bit cramped.

It’s a really good game and if you’ve had any interest in picking it up, now’s a great time! Feel free to post tips if you have more experience, or come join us in the chat and let’s play some games!

How to Play Podcast: Le Havre
Le Havre video playthrough

Download Le Havre

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 30, 2014

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Le Havre is a tricky one, just because it seems so open each turn and it's hard to tell what strategies you should be pursuing and what's going to be the best play. I still haven't figured it out, I know that much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is Le Harve easier to learn than Puerto Rico? They seem really similar, but Puerto Rico is way too complicated to get my SO interested.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I had a much easier time getting the hang of Puerto Rico than Le Havre I think. At any one time in a turn, Puerto Rico has fewer things to choose from.

Agricola is definitely the closest similarity to Le Havre, same designer and all that and they're both worker placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
It's a crying shame at how much of a missed opportunity Eclipse iOS is. In trying so hard to preserve the boardgame aspect of it, they forgot they had a thematic 4x game to riff on as well. It shouldn't have been so dry!

• Locked thread