Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use a snapshot to create a consistent state for say a tape backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MrMoo posted:

This sounds horrifying and you should be using VSS instead.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This sounds horrifying and you should be using VSS instead.

It should all be integrated? My snapshots tie into VSS, so when backup requests a snapshot, the instance is quiesced, then the storage array handles the actual snapshoting. It all works with surprisingly little hassle.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

meanieface posted:

I appreciate the full contact info because when I get forwarded a long drawn-out discussion between various LOB folks and the ~customer~, I want to do as little research as possible to track down someone in the email chain who knows what is actually happening and what the customer needs. Playing telephone is a waste of time, and this super-helpful system that lets you update your own outlook contact info guarantees that the reliability of that info is a crapshoot.

ETA: your email's going to be forwarded. Even/especially when you assume it won't.

Most of the emails I send have no possibility of getting forwarded outside of the company (and if they do get forwarded, whoever they're going to is not calling/emailing me about the issue). In almost all cases I use the name/title/phone number one instead of the full signature. If I'm emailing someone outside the company I use the full signature. It just seems like a waste for every email (that has no chance of being forwarded to someone who doesn't know who the person is) that some people send has everything. Yes, I know where you work! In fact, it's 20 feet away from me.

I totally get why you'd do it on some emails. It just seems odd to do it for all of them. It's in no way a big deal, though.

Ynglaur posted:

Why are you copy/pasting? I can't think of an email client that doesn't have auto-signature. Lotus Notes doesn't, perhaps?

Was this for me? I use Outlook's signature thing to pick between 4 sigs (with the one I use 95% of the time set as the default). I probably could just have two though.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I personally only have one signature and it only applies when I'm composing an email, not a reply. We used to have annoying social media icons in the signature but I refused to use that version because they'd do nothing but clutter up all the ticketing systems.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I have one signature for everything. Honestly, if anybody ever complained about me sending an email with the same signature I'd wonder if they needed more work to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't actually use an automated signature, but I have to say I appreciate it when other people use one with their phone number in it. I often want to call them and then it's right there and I don't have to know it or look it up.

Now, if only I could get people to stop using Outlook stationery. I don't understand how these people can not grasp how unprofessional it looks.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ynglaur posted:

Why are you copy/pasting? I can't think of an email client that doesn't have auto-signature. Lotus Notes doesn't, perhaps?

myron cope posted:

Was this for me? I use Outlook's signature thing to pick between 4 sigs (with the one I use 95% of the time set as the default). I probably could just have two though.

If it was for me, I meant copy\paste into my signature file. It's still damned annoying though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Well, I'll agree with that, especially given how Outlook handles EOL vs CR.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrMoo posted:

Guys I'm being facetious and citing a common problem with snapshots, ie that other people think they're like, this magic backup shortcut or better that they can take a snapshot then forget that they're working on a snapshot for months at a time, I'm not really asking if there are other uses for them.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wintermuteCF posted:

1. Helpdesk analysts who don't even bother to troubleshoot, then compound their fuckup by not escalating to desktop support.

I see this desktop support role being mentioned here quite often but what do they do in general? The company I work for now has no such role so I have no idea.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I like attaching a vcard instead of a signature, that way everyone is confused.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I see this desktop support role being mentioned here quite often but what do they do in general? The company I work for now has no such role so I have no idea.

Help desk but not chained to a phone so they can go out to the end user's computer and power cycle it themselves.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Help desk but not chained to a phone so they can go out to the end user's computer and power cycle it themselves.

So it's like a help desk, but without remote management software of any kind? Do you even have Lync or Webex or GoToMeeting? All three allow remote control, which would let you go to the Restart command.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Depends on the org. Desktop support can be either the end stop for all issues that aren't network/server related or the poor bastard who goes out to the PC when remote tools and a clueless user aren't able to solve the issue. Think level 2 helpdesk with the ability to leave their desk.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
There's no agreed-upon standard for terminology, like most jobs in computer technology. My last company had a "help desk" but all that meant was that they were supposed to be the first point of contact for any tech support issues. They took the calls and created the tickets, and then depending on the problem they could help over the phone, remote in, or jog down to the user's office or work area to help in person. The term "help desk" was colloquial.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Che Delilas posted:

There's no agreed-upon standard for terminology, like most jobs in computer technology. My last company had a "help desk" but all that meant was that they were supposed to be the first point of contact for any tech support issues. They took the calls and created the tickets, and then depending on the problem they could help over the phone, remote in, or jog down to the user's office or work area to help in person. The term "help desk" was colloquial.

This is how it is where I work as well, help desk takes the call and if they need to go over to someones desk they do that as well, there is no seperate team for that.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This is how it is where I work as well, help desk takes the call and if they need to go over to someones desk they do that as well, there is no seperate team for that.

Our "Service Desk" is the first and last point of contact for all desktop PC support and the first point of contact for literally all other IT issues in the company (everything from "Hey, this application has a bug" to "Holy gently caress the data center is literally on fire"). Those guys are ridiculously busy, but they somehow manage to stay on top of things, and aside from the occasional misdirected ticket (which is understandable given their volume and the fact that we literally have dozens of separate IT groups and subgroups and even we don't always know who's responsible for what), they do a really good job.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

myron cope posted:

Does everyone just use one signature? I have like 3 or 4 different ones I use, depending on who I'm emailing. Like why do I want/need to send an email to my supervisor that has my name/title/who I work for/the address/my phone number. Clearly he knows all of that!

If I don't use the "full" signature when emailing my boss, he tells me off for not having full contact details in my signature.

Likewise if I forget to put the helpdesk number for external customers into the internal version of my out of office reply.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lum posted:

If I don't use the "full" signature when emailing my boss, he tells me off for not having full contact details in my signature.

Likewise if I forget to put the helpdesk number for external customers into the internal version of my out of office reply.

I tend to ignore irrelevant crap like this. So far it's all come from people who have a desperate need to flex managerial muscles in order to reinforce the fact that they're "in charge," but have had no legitimate reason to complain about me. It's an ego trip.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Sweevo posted:

I thought it was international law that default signatures had to be 40 lines of unenforceable legal bullshit, a 2MB BMP of the company logo, and links the the webpage where they describe their ISO9001 certification.

Yeah, I thought this too.

So I decided to kill that concept!

Most of the folks have the "this e-mail is confidential" poo poo, whereas I usually have references to Nineteen Eighty-Four, pizza, random topics that are at the time of sending the e-mail newsworthy (currently PRISM based) and the obligatory "please delete this e-mail if you're not the intended recipient" followed by pretty much "no one cares what you do, it's e-mail"

Apparently people in work read my signature before the actual content in the e-mail.

I've had also the tree webding, followed by "think of the environment before you breathe".
This managed to spread to 3 new employees, who thought it was a good idea to copy blindly people's signatures.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

So it's like a help desk, but without remote management software of any kind? Do you even have Lync or Webex or GoToMeeting? All three allow remote control, which would let you go to the Restart command.

My keyboard doesn't work and I am a 30 minute drive across the city

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My boss likes to forward Gas Buddy price jump alerts to the whole department. At 2:00 in the afternoon.

By the time we get out at 5:00, all the gas stations have raised the prices. I once replied to him "Does this mean we have permission to go fill up our gas tanks right now?", there are 2 gas stations right down the road from the office since we're just a minute or two from the interstate.

"You can leave if you want to stay until 5:30"

What's the point of sending these stupid emails out?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fil5000 posted:

Our place introduced a requirement for emails to have one of four confidentiality levels assigned to them so those receiving them knew whether or not they were ok to forward on to external parties, whether or not they could discuss them with underlings, and so on and so forth. Naturally this meant that everyone put something into their auto signature declaring that everything they sent was the highest level so they didn't have to take any responsibility for anything they put in an email.

Except our department where the guy in charge said that having it in the signature defeated the point of the policy in the first place, issued a directive that no one was to put it in their autosignature and told us all to bloody think about what we're putting into any given email and classify it if appropriate.

I'm so lucky that I work on a non-classified network where everything is covered by the standard FOUO (For Official Use Only) disclaimer, and have a separate machine and account for the classified network (where everything is either Secret or Unclassified). The only pain in the rear end part about it is that no piece of equipment from the classified network can come within 24 inches of any piece of equipment from the non-classified network, and every couple weeks the IA folks come around with a ruler to make sure that classified keyboard (duly noted with a red Secret tag) is not within 24 inches of my non-classified monitor (duly noted with a green Unclassified sticker). It gets really tricky if you have a someone on the other side of your cube and have to figure out a location for everything. Fortunately I don't have anyone on one side of me, and my classified computer sits on that side of the cubicle.

At least it won't be a problem in a few weeks, since that's when they'll be taking all my toys away and showing me the door as part of the transition. It's a pity that as a contractor when you do your job well you work yourself out of said job and have to start all over.

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002

Sirotan posted:

An email came in from the CEO's assistant. We should update the name sheets/bios we all have hanging on the fronts of our cubes/offices with more information. Suggested categories include "secret talents", "indulgences" and "theme songs". I updated mine so that my name and title are at the top, with the following QR code in the bottom right:

If I can get ONE person to scan it, it will be worth it...

I know this is a super late, but I just found out if I drag-and-drop this QR code into the address bar of chrome, it opens the page it goes to.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The only pain in the rear end part about it is that no piece of equipment from the classified network can come within 24 inches of any piece of equipment from the non-classified network, and every couple weeks the IA folks come around with a ruler to make sure that classified keyboard (duly noted with a red Secret tag) is not within 24 inches of my non-classified monitor (duly noted with a green Unclassified sticker). It gets really tricky if you have a someone on the other side of your cube and have to figure out a location for everything. Fortunately I don't have anyone on one side of me, and my classified computer sits on that side of the cubicle.

What on earth? :psyduck: Is this common practice? I've never heard of it before and we work on classified/secret stuff fairly regularly. All we have to be mindful of is inane ITAR regulations and keeping some staff segregated because of them. Everything else is handled by permissions, we all work on the same PCs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Urzza posted:

I know this is a super late, but I just found out if I drag-and-drop this QR code into the address bar of chrome, it opens the page it goes to.
Well I learned something new today! Thanks!

e: I feel tricked now. :colbert:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Urzza posted:

That's because the image is a link. You're dragging and dropping that link, just like if you were dragging and dropping words that were a link.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm so lucky that I work on a non-classified network where everything is covered by the standard FOUO (For Official Use Only) disclaimer, and have a separate machine and account for the classified network (where everything is either Secret or Unclassified). The only pain in the rear end part about it is that no piece of equipment from the classified network can come within 24 inches of any piece of equipment from the non-classified network, and every couple weeks the IA folks come around with a ruler to make sure that classified keyboard (duly noted with a red Secret tag) is not within 24 inches of my non-classified monitor (duly noted with a green Unclassified sticker). It gets really tricky if you have a someone on the other side of your cube and have to figure out a location for everything. Fortunately I don't have anyone on one side of me, and my classified computer sits on that side of the cubicle.

At least it won't be a problem in a few weeks, since that's when they'll be taking all my toys away and showing me the door as part of the transition. It's a pity that as a contractor when you do your job well you work yourself out of said job and have to start all over.

Huh, we have a NIPR machine residing in our SIPR vault that is absolutely within 24" of a SIPR machine. Nobody seems to give a poo poo, including IA.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GOOCHY posted:

Huh, we have a NIPR machine residing in our SIPR vault that is absolutely within 24" of a SIPR machine. Nobody seems to give a poo poo, including IA.

This. Now I will preface that Iraq was the Wild West but this would've required acquiring new buildings at many of the places I worked at.

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002

anthonypants posted:

That's because the image is a link. You're dragging and dropping that link, just like if you were dragging and dropping words that were a link.

WELP. That's a lot less cool than I thought. :(

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Urzza posted:

WELP. That's a lot less cool than I thought. :(

To be fair, if it immediately decoded and followed QR code links then that would be a pretty serious security issue as the user would never get to check the URL at any point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Electronaut posted:

This. Now I will preface that Iraq was the Wild West but this would've required acquiring new buildings at many of the places I worked at.

Heh. I remember sending four guys in two Humvees from Ramadi to Baghdad to pick up extra batteries and USB sticks in the electronics market there. This was late Spring 2003 before things got really ugly.

For 4-5 months, my main work machine was a desktop someone had appropriated from the Ministry of the Interior or something.

Pissing me off? This thread just made me feel old.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, I just got an email from my room manager saying that its unprofessional to mention that i'm dialed into a customers machine when i'm writing down the tickets. He then goes on to tell me i'm not writing down what i'm doing enough.

Make up your loving mind, guy.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
:(
I work with fools.
I sat trying to figure why the penis carbuncle from the sales team had taken over my role this morning, couldn't get an answer.
In taking over my role, he has allowed this to happen:
Move from:
500k users provisioned with app on device and corresponding account.
To:
500k users provisioned with app on device and only 500 users with corresponding account.

The gently caress face actually huffed at me, when I dared ask how the network would react to the sound of 499500 users not having credentials to use said app which replaces native functionality on a device with no clear option for fallback.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It bugs me that my boss doesn't answer his phone. He'll be at his desk doing whatever, and it rings and rings and rings and he doesn't answer it.

I can understand being totally engrossed in a task and not wanting to be interrupted, but I think he just selectively chooses who he wants to talk to.

If you're not legitimately busy, that's just poor etiquette. I would guarantee if I tried that poo poo he'd let me hear it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

It bugs me that my boss doesn't answer his phone. He'll be at his desk doing whatever, and it rings and rings and rings and he doesn't answer it.

I can understand being totally engrossed in a task and not wanting to be interrupted, but I think he just selectively chooses who he wants to talk to.

If you're not legitimately busy, that's just poor etiquette. I would guarantee if I tried that poo poo he'd let me hear it.

Why is he obligated to drop whatever it is he's doing to answer somebody he may or may not even know? Voicemail is there for a reason. Calling is asynchronous communication; once you pickup it becomes synchronous, which is disruptive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My old boss used to always be "not here" when the phone would ring, and the other guy usually would just ignore it, so I got to fix computers, deal with the retail counter and answer the phone all at the same time!

I, of course, was always available to talk on the phone, even if I was in the middle of a laptop screen replacement or elbow deep in replacing a PSU.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off: Juniper Network Connect. Fixing any issue related to it involves re-installing it. Occasionally, installing it does something odd within DNS, since existing connections will work fine (e.g. an ongoing Skype call, Microsoft Outlook if it's open, etc.), but any new connections fail to have their URL/hostname resolved. This may or may not be related to the fact that, according to the help desk, Juniper isn't giving me an IP address. Their solution to the server not giving me an IP address, of course, is to have me uninstall/re-install/reboot/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
This is going to be somewhat vague and general since I didn't get the email about it and have only heard about it from the users I support.

The agency I work for has a centralized call center to do helpdesk for every IT contract in the entire agency, and if they can't solve an issue, it gets forwarded (often incorrectly) to the Tier2 queue for the issue based on what contractor handles that specific problem, based on location and department (government contracting, hurray!). Users supported by our contract can also send an email for support to a mailbox that is monitored specifically by my contract to be worked remotely and manually sorted and assigned to local support if necessary.

Apparently sometime in March, an email went out stating that any tickets that make it to my contracts local support queue through through the centralized call center will result in a $50 charge to the department that called. I have no idea whether this is coming from the contractor I work for, or the contractor who runs the call center, the agency administration, or what the hell. Regardless, this means that everyone is now emailing tickets in for stupid poo poo like AD resets and getting printers added to their workstation that the call center should be doing, which has resulting in so much work for our email team that they are no longer able to do Tier 1 support and are just creating tickets and sending them on to the my group. For the super-annoying users, they are coming and knocking on my door directly, for me to end up pissing them off by telling them that I am not allowed to do work without a ticket for it, and that I've already gotten poo poo for making my own tickets.

Oh, and the $50 fee is apparently retroactive to Jan 1st. Hurray.

Need to get the gently caress out of this place so bad.