Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So did they just remove the diligent/slothful event from hunts or what? Also how do you make summer fairs worse? All I ever get is a chance at paranoid and maybe some opinion boosts with random mayors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I became king of ireland and now all my vassals are pissed at me. What's a good guideline for handing out counties and duchy?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jinnigan posted:

Yo, the new "You can no longer usurp the sole primary title off of someone with a different religion if he has any holdings within it" rule makes the Norse starts tedious as poo poo. I have to conquer each and every individual Scottish county with a separate casus belli? AND I have to reconquer every Scottish county each time!? This is absurd

Robindaybird posted:

It ain't just hunts though they got the short end of the stick, summer fairs and all gotten less chances of acquiring good traits and events to get them seem rarer now.

Well, I guess we know what to mod now. :v:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My last play through had some fun weird stuff. For example, consider these two screenshots, taken seconds apart:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

Russia was Norse for most of the game, which isn't very surprising, and gave it a cool name I don't remember.
Then somehow Karling's got in charge. Then it became secondary title after Castille. Then HRE....

(And of course the HRE fell into a mess shortly after)

Oh, and see the Byzantine Empire, complete with Rome, below? It's Catholic (which makes HRE rather silly).
Not exactly sure how that happened as I was off in India. Before, they were doing great:
Seljuk's invasion didn't work out for some reason, they had Anatolia, parts of Levant, and South Italy,
and all was Orthodox. Italy was holding Andalusia from a Crusade, then at some point they merged and somehow virtually
everything got converted

P.S. Ruthenia on there is hungarian.
P.P.S. Bulgaria is Cathar, and got a Crusade against it for that.

Edit: forgot another fun part: somehow some extended members of my (Jain) Indian Emperor's family ended up in Mali ---
the head of the group was the marshal for the Mansa somehow. And the kept winning some tournament there which was
supposed to help dynasty's decadence. Except for, you know, everyone being Jain?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 30, 2014

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Azuth0667 posted:

I became king of ireland and now all my vassals are pissed at me. What's a good guideline for handing out counties and duchy?

I'm no expert but you want to hand out counties to people in your court with the content trait or who like you and don't have the opposite stats u have i.e. diligent vs slothful. Make sure when you create a duke that all counties in his de jure duchy are his vassal. If you hold a county in your demense that is his de jure he will have a lower opinion of you.

Edit: also check if their already heirs to another county or if their sons are. I screwed one game up because I made someone in my court a duke who then inherited a county outside his de jure lands and he wanted that duchy as well.

Zig-Zag fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 30, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

It would be nice if rulers that have just accepted an entirely peaceful offer of vassalisation couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction. :shepicide:

Especially if they're going to draw in people who were perfectly loyal subjects before. :shepicide:

You could fix it by not allowing people to start independence factions if they've ever been independent, but not have this apply to characters granted independence and then reconquered. You'd have less fuckery after conquests, and a legit reason to not just give in to independence factions and then recapture them one at a time.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I really want to help this guy succeed, if you are going to dream, dream big, am I right?

Seoinin posted:

So did they just remove the diligent/slothful event from hunts or what? Also how do you make summer fairs worse? All I ever get is a chance at paranoid and maybe some opinion boosts with random mayors.

Are Feasts still OK? There was a way to get the "Just" trait as long as you didn't mind having everyone hate you for 2 years - the problem was that if you got to a decent size, a bunch of those events could fire, and the alternative was paying out $$ to the servants, or getting the Arbitrary trait. There should be a mod that fixes all the Feast issues, like giving you a list of all the people who puked on you.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

"People were using it to break the game!"

People would use ruler designer to load up on negative traits that Hunts could cancel out and end up making super rulers. I'm not sure why they suddenly felt the need to 'balance' the ruler creator.

How did that work?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Charlz Guybon posted:

How did that work?

Give yourself a load of good traits like genius, then give yourself a bunch of bad traits that hunting can get rid of until your character is 16. Then go on hunting trips to get rid of the bad traits. A few years into the game, you'll have a young ruler with godly traits who will smash everything in the early game.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well I guess there's always add_trait commands thru the console. Haw haw, now my christian king is a double genius hajjaj kshatriya and you can't stop me Paradox.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Any tips on how to play as Jewish Khazaria? So far I've gotten rid of of the pechenegs and that small muslim nation beside Georgia as well as purged my realm of non-Jewish dukes and counts... but what now?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I mean the ruler creator was pretty easy to game, but if you want to "cheat" its still really easy to edit the save file to get and even better character so....
It doesn't balance anything except for people playing ironman with achievements already disabled from using the ruler creator :confused:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Today I started my first Navarra game, and it was pretty funny to choose Elective Monarchy and nominate a girl as an heir and then suddenly see this:

The tooltip still says "King of Navarra", though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Talk to me about the Indian cultural retinues. On the one hand, Elephants sound amazing and I really just want all elephants all the time. On the other hand, 30 elephants and 470 archers seems like it'll fold unless I add some heavy infantry as well or something. So should I take 1:1 Shock:Steel Bow retinues?

Also, how do you change succession laws using the console - succ primogeniture? I tried that but it doesn't seem to like it when I have multiple king-level titles.

Put all your elephants in the center, and make sure at least 5% of the center is elephants. The retinues give you 6% elephants, so you don't have a lot of room to add anything else. You always want a 12 martial leader in the middle with your elephants, and then you can cackle maniacally when your elephants murder everything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They haven't changed the ruler designer costs, it is still easy to make a good ruler through it.

Example:

Patient: -1 year A positive trait with negative costs? Sounds great!
Content: -16 years -2 intrigue for a full 16 years? I take it!
Lustful: -1 year A trait that is supremely useful if you start with only one member of your dynasty giving you points? Good deal! Consider skipping it if you are stuck in gavelkind as a pagan though.
Wounded: -11 years The usual way to game the ruler designer, just restart if your ruler dies because he is wounded.

Quick: +15 years Good compromise between cost and effect. Genius is only 66% better but costs 100% more!
Just: +13 years A really good trait, +10 vassal opinion and a bonus to stewardship and learning. Can be replaced by kind for a slightly lower cost and worse stats.

You are now 15 years old (though you will always start the game as an adult) and have 9 diplomacy, 7 martial, 11 stewardship, 8 intrigue and 10 learning. If you take for example charismatic negotiator (+7), you would be 22 years old, with 15 diplomacy, 6 martial, 11 stewardship, 9 intrigue and 11 learning, and +10 vassal opinion of you for your just trait. Once your wound heals you will get another point in martial. I consider this a good ruler, and if you can manage your inheritance laws, you will be in a good position to pop out many kids and hopefully have at least one of them inherit quick.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't get why people bother with the +years system in singleplayer, just reduce the costs to 0 in defines.lua and do whatever. Particularly if you are going to do gimmicky stuff like giving your character wounded anyway.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Content sucks, never take content. It stops you from plotting to revoke any of your vassals' titles.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Oh, you get boosts? Because all I get is a choice between pissing off the peasants or pissing off some mayor/bishop. Four times in a row.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Allyn posted:

Content sucks, never take content. It stops you from plotting to revoke any of your vassals' titles.

I disagree, how often do you even have the opportunity to revoke their titles when you start the game? This is mostly when they inherit duchies through marriage games, but at this point I will be on my third ruler at least, who won't have content.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The cheesiest way I've used the character creator is to give myself massive, massive disabilities. Insane, possessed, depressed, stressed, maimed, what-have-you, take 'em all. Then grab strong, attractive and genius. With enough penalties, you can ramp up health and fertility to absurd levels. You'll start at 50, but you'll live absurdly long and you can pop out babies quickly with a high chance of some good genes. Try to stay depressed so you can kill yourself when you have a worthy heir and before you become totally incapable.

Kainser posted:

I don't get why people bother with the +years system in singleplayer, just reduce the costs to 0 in defines.lua and do whatever. Particularly if you are going to do gimmicky stuff like giving your character wounded anyway.

I have no rational reason for not doing this.

Pierre
Jan 9, 2011

by Reene

Torrannor posted:

Example:

Patient: -1 year A positive trait with negative costs? Sounds great!
Content: -16 years -2 intrigue for a full 16 years? I take it!
Lustful: -1 year A trait that is supremely useful if you start with only one member of your dynasty giving you points? Good deal! Consider skipping it if you are stuck in gavelkind as a pagan though.
Wounded: -11 years The usual way to game the ruler designer, just restart if your ruler dies because he is wounded.

Quick: +15 years Good compromise between cost and effect. Genius is only 66% better but costs 100% more!
Just: +13 years A really good trait, +10 vassal opinion and a bonus to stewardship and learning. Can be replaced by kind for a slightly lower cost and worse stats.

Lunatic is pretty much free points also, the random events are fairly harmless and the relations penalty is easily countered using positive traits bought using the points from lunatic.

Pierre fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 30, 2014

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Torrannor posted:

I disagree, how often do you even have the opportunity to revoke their titles when you start the game? This is mostly when they inherit duchies through marriage games, but at this point I will be on my third ruler at least, who won't have content.

I'm revoking titles within the first couple years almost always. As a count I'm forging claims, making a duchy, dejuring it up, then kicking my new vassels with plot power. As a duke I'm giving people land to press their county claims, then taking both the counties back again with plot power. Etc.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So people playing the game fairly and using a mechanic for interesting and worthwhile reasons are being punished for cheaters who won't care cause they'll just cheat in a different way?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SeaTard posted:

Put all your elephants in the center, and make sure at least 5% of the center is elephants. The retinues give you 6% elephants, so you don't have a lot of room to add anything else. You always want a 12 martial leader in the middle with your elephants, and then you can cackle maniacally when your elephants murder everything.

I've stopped using elephants because the special troops tactics seems to be bugged right now (and also because archers/HInf/pike is still the best retinues). I get these awesome tactics way too often when I use elephant retinues.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Well crap.

Was having a fun session as Syria last night using Local Ironman saves and trying today and the save is just broken.

Guess I should probably just wait for the patch/hotfix...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Anyone playing the last version with CK+ when it still worked? Siege events are insane for some reason, spamming literally on a two-second basis and making you lose anywhere between 50-70% of your army even if you are sieging some lovely count with 300 defenders. How do I edit the siege event chances to stop this from happening, because this one is a game-breaker. (I can't literally siege anything, the events whittle down my army so fast that either their numbers go so low that they can't siege anymore or their numbers go so low that some random poo poo army just kills them).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kainser posted:

Because trade-offs and manipulating a semi-balanced system is more interesting than actual cheating?

It constantly bewilders me that people don't understand the difference.

But yes, it's stupid that they nerfed events instead of continuing to fine-tune the values of ruler designer traits.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even more so because you get at most one good ruler out of the ruler designer, but the dozens or so rulers that follow cannot benefit from it and are instead saddled with lovely feasts and hunts. 20% of your income is a big hit, and now there is no longer a reason to do them, because the negative outcomes outweigh the positive outcomes. Paying money to make my ruler worse? No thanks, I pass. It's stupid.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I didn't know hunts could straight-up remove bad traits from you. Which traits could they remove? I only ever got temporary effects from hunting.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Gort posted:

I didn't know hunts could straight-up remove bad traits from you. Which traits could they remove? I only ever got temporary effects from hunting.

Craven is probably the most common trait that hunting can be used to remove. Just get the event where you gain the brave trait, and boom craven gone.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

jb7 posted:

Craven is probably the most common trait that hunting can be used to remove. Just get the event where you gain the brave trait, and boom craven gone.

Is this normal hunting or tiger hunting? Haven't played since RoI hit but before that everytime I went on a hunt I could only ever get diligent. I never saw an option to get brave. If I was craven I would get the occasional RUN AWAY FROM THE DEER!!! one.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

dPB posted:

Is this normal hunting or tiger hunting? Haven't played since RoI hit but before that everytime I went on a hunt I could only ever get diligent. I never saw an option to get brave. If I was craven I would get the occasional RUN AWAY FROM THE DEER!!! one.

Went and checked the hunting events, looks like there isn't a way to gain brave. For some reason I recall getting that trait from hunts. Could have been a mod.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Even more so because you get at most one good ruler out of the ruler designer, but the dozens or so rulers that follow cannot benefit from it and are instead saddled with lovely feasts and hunts. 20% of your income is a big hit, and now there is no longer a reason to do them, because the negative outcomes outweigh the positive outcomes. Paying money to make my ruler worse? No thanks, I pass. It's stupid.

I can understand trying to make hunting more balanced, but they should have changed the cost/benefit balance then. Or keep the hunting changes but give the event file more flavor. But as of this moment there is NO reason to do hunting AT ALL. Paradox, did you pick up the slow trait?

edit: my search function must be acting up. I can't find ANY event that would remove craven (but plenty that add it). Huh?

I want paradox to explain the philosophy behind this decision, because I have the sneaky suspicion that they're shifting focus to multiplayer "balance" (ignoring blobs like the norse) and nerfing min-max strategies while making the entire game experience more miserable for those of us who are neither of those things. I want to see the arguments behind this decision, and maybe it'll highlight something that I didn't see. Because I have no idea what the benefit for players is for these changes.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 30, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What is a titular duchy? Apparently, my Welsh dude (started over in 867 as the Petty King in North Wales) and apparently I have a strong claim to the Titular Duchy of Isles (it is not the Isle of Mann - that place already has a ruler and my claim indicates that there is no ruler on the duchy). This place doesn't seem to be on the map, and to my knowledge of the UK, isn't a place. As such, I assume it is some weird bug with the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Another Person posted:

What is a titular duchy? Apparently, my Welsh dude (started over in 867 as the Petty King in North Wales) and apparently I have a strong claim to the Titular Duchy of Isles (it is not the Isle of Mann - that place already has a ruler and my claim indicates that there is no ruler on the duchy). This place doesn't seem to be on the map, and to my knowledge of the UK, isn't a place. As such, I assume it is some weird bug with the game.

It's not a bug. A titular duchy is by definition just a title; it includes no land, de jure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Another Person posted:

In addition to what Tuxedo Catfish said, you can find who owns the title by either clicking on the icon in your claims on your character sheet or using the "find title" button below the minimap.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

In addition to what Tuxedo Catfish said, you can find who owns the title by either clicking on the icon in your claims on your character sheet or using the "find title" button below the minimap.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not a bug. A titular duchy is by definition just a title; it includes no land, de jure.

Ahhhh. Time to press that claim I have and take it for myself.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

But yes, it's stupid that they nerfed events instead of continuing to fine-tune the values of ruler designer traits.

So, did I miss someone else confirming that hunt events were removed to "nerf" the ruler designer, or is everyone just taking one poster's guess as an established fact now? FWIW I asked the CK2 events guy why hunts etc had been changed and he said he hadn't touched them, so either something weird has happened or someone else changed stuff without telling him. Sadly he was then off sick for the rest of the week so it is still a mystery :confused:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

So, did I miss someone else confirming that hunt events were removed to "nerf" the ruler designer, or is everyone just taking one posters guess as an established fact now? FWIW I asked the CK2 events guy why hunts etc had been changed and he said he hadn't touched them, so either something weird has happened or someone else changed stuff without telling him. Sadly he was then off sick for the rest of the week so it is still a mystery :confused:

I can confirm that the Hunting_events.txt no longer has any entry with Add_trait = diligent, or remove_trait = craven, or the add_trait = ambitious; those events have disappeared into the ether. What's left (in terms of traits) is an event that adds kind, one that adds craven, various events that add wounded or maimed, and an event that adds cruel. To summarize: the only benefit to going on a hunt is a small amount of prestige, random courtier has his opinion changed, and the kind event. The cost/benefit of going hunting is vastly skewed towards <<don't do it>> at the moment.

edit: also, does this count as work for you? On a sunday?

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Pretty sure you can also gain piety from a hunt. I had it happen the other day, unless there has been a patch when I wasn't looking. Basically, your horse falls over, and you kill it to save the suffering.

• Locked thread